Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Unpopularity of Brand Munster

Options
  • 03-07-2009 11:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭

Who loves Munster?

In a recent Europe wide poll run by the International Rugby Board, Ireland’s second province Munster has come out bottom in the popularity stakes. Finishing behind such giants of unpopularity as Wasps, Stade Francais and Leicester, Munster polled a table bottoming 0.2% of all votes. A record low for any team.
    IRB Chiefs polled Internet Supporters Forums for all top division teams in Britain, Ireland and France, asking supporters which team they would support after their own.
    Heineken Cup Champions Leinster finished a respectable second, with French Kingpins Biarritz emerging as Europes favourite “second team”.
    It caps a rather Annus horribilis for the Irish Province who also found their supporters labelled the worst in Europe in a similar poll on famed Rugby website Planetrugby.com

Munster Rugby were unavailable for comment.

www.sanzarrugby.au

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

what do you expect dislike comes with success

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

Do you have a link to this report? The one in your post doesn't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Munster fans = bandwagon

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

Well, considering it's not even a real place, it's hard to not like them. And Leinster, Jesus Christ, Leinster flags up in Kilkenny before the Cup Final. They should rebrand them Limerick hard working salt of the earth we beat the all blacks in the 70s and Donnybrook RFC

• Registered Users Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭Risteard

As said with success comes dislike, if Leinster started to have the run we've had in Europe over the next couple of years I'd be willing to bet they'd be a lot lower than second.

I suppose the reasoning is that we used to be a plucky team that came out of nowhere and now we've become stronger. I suppose some of the sayings on banners don't appeal to some people either.

Some of my friends (from Limerick) hate Munster Rugby. They'd watch the Ireland matches but when I asked them why they said it's full of bandwagonners who only like Munster because of success. At which point I ask them why they support Man Utd. or Chelsea.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

What a load of rubbish.

jackncoke wrote: »
    Munster fans = bandwagon

this post = pile of ballox

Iang87 wrote: »
    this post = pile of ballox
    Liam79 wrote: »
    u can pay at the gate. Limerick peoples claim to the sporting capital of Ireland will be tested this weekend. Our Footballers are in a munster final, with the chance to cause a huge upset and bring the cup home after 113 years. Yet I bet there wont be more than a few hundred limerick fans there.....but as soon as the Munster Bandwagon starts up again watch everyone claim to be the greatest sports city in Ireland
    so what constitutes GREAT sports fans??? Going to 5 rugby games a year and knowing the words to a song about Galway???? But not bothering your holes to support a REAL Limerick team.....

He basically sums it up there

did you ever think people might not like GAA and love Rugby.

but in saying that thats logical, and judging by the crap you're spouting logic doesn't feature in your thinking

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

Munster Rugby is a fantastic marketing success. They managed to convince thousands of people that a team with no history playing a minority sport winning a competition with no history was somehow the pinnacle of sporting achievement. It will be a case study in marketing courses for years to come.

Fair play to them, it brings untold economic value to the city. If buffons who never saw a rugby until 5 years ago want to cry into their inflatable hands after Leinster trouncing them then let them work away.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Amazing, Munster rugby brings a huge amount to Munster, and to Limerick in particular and yet people still line up to be begrudgers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Munster_Gal

Generalising it and saying
    Munster fans = bandwagon

is completely unfair. Yes there are a huge number bandwagon jumpers but there are also massive numbers of people who have ALWAYS supported Munster and went to all the matches long before the team were making it to the final stages of HC's.

I for one only support rugby. I go to all the home Munster matches, I pay for the supporters club and I also support Shannon RFC in the club rugby! And I have done all my life. My brother plays rugby and my Grandfather played for Shannon and also with Munster briefly in the 70's!

Just because I don't support GAA doesn't mean I'm any less of a sports fan than someone who supports both!

True supporters of ANY sport are the ones that go to all the games, support the clubs and not just the provinces, don't slag off the opposing supporters, don't invade the pitch when asked not to and have respect for the opposing teams. The bandwagoners are the ones that go against all of the previous and also sell their tickets for alot more than face value to other supporters just to make a quick buck.

Rant over........

He basically sums it up there

Oh, I see he's bitter about the GAA.

I'd love Limerick to win on Sunday, but just because you love Limerick GAA doesn't mean you can't support Munster rugby.

Oh, I see he's bitter about the GAA.

I'd love Limerick to win on Sunday, but just because you love Limerick GAA doesn't mean you can't support Munster rugby.

I dont love Limerick GAA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭solice

Munster fans = bandwagon

Really? A team that has massive support and has had for quiet a few years now is a Bandwagon supported team?

I thought it laughable when driving up to Dublin from Limerick the weekend before the Heiniken Cup semi final all the blue flags and banners in Offally and Laois. Even saw a few in Kilkenny a few days after. Leinster is hardly a provincial team and has never experienced much support from outside of D4. That was of course up until this year. Now there is a bandwagon!

I'd like to refer people to this thread btw, shows the impact a game in Thomond has on the local economy.

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055604479

• Registered Users Posts: 42 lyencoli

I presume this is a standard wind up Munster, as there is no sign of this poll Liam is talking about, the link doesn't work, there is no sign of such a poll on the IRB website, nor have i ever seen an invite to take part in such a poll.

Again details are incorrect if qouting Munster as Irelands second province, while we are number one seed for the European cup, Magners league Champions etc. and thats an annus horribilus?

Should this not be moved to the rugby forum?

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭NCW feen

Thomond wasn't anyway near full the first time Munchthur played a Heineken Cup game there. Where have all the Shannon/Garryowen fans gone to ???
    Handful of games each year and they appoint themselves best in the world. The majority at Thomond are gloryhunters.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Couple of things:

1/. What's the best selling club rugby jersey in the world?

2/. What rugby match is currently shown on Air New Zealand aircraft?

Answers are 1/. Munster and 2/. Munster vs All Blacks 2009.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

NCW feen wrote: »
    Thomond wasn't anyway near full the first time Munchthur played a Heineken Cup game there. Where have all the Shannon/Garryowen fans gone to ???
    Handful of games each year and they appoint themselves best in the world. The majority at Thomond are gloryhunters.

I was in there that first night and yes it was full.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭source

I only got into rugby in the last few years, and yes i support Munster, I started watching games as a way to spend more time with my father, and have grown to love the sport, and the team I haven't bought a Munster jersey,The reason??? Fear of being branded a bandwagon supporter, but did receive an Irish jersey as a gift.

Does this make me a bandwagon supporter? I know a lot of people think it does. There is an air of elitism amongst some in the supporters clubs who think that anyone who didn't follow the club since birth is only jumping on the bandwagon.

I had a ticket for the HC final this year, got by my father for me as he wanted me to go to the game with him, Is it really fair that i should get abuse like i did about taking a ticket that should have been gotten by a "real supporter" ? Personally i think the attitude of some of the "real supporters" is immature and childish and would almost make someone not want to not start following a team.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

foinse wrote: »
    I only got into rugby in the last few years, and yes i support Munster, I started watching games as a way to spend more time with my father, and have grown to love the sport, and the team I haven't bought a Munster jersey, but did receive an Irish jersey as a gift. The reason??? Fear of being branded a bandwagon supporter.

Does this make me a bandwagon supporter? I know a lot of people think it does. There is an air of elitism amongst some in the supporters clubs who think that anyone who didn't follow the club since birth is only jumping on the bandwagon.

I had a ticket for the HC final this year, got by my father for me as he wanted me to go to the game with him, Is it really fair that i should get abuse like i did about taking a ticket that should have been gotten by a "real supporter" ? Personally i think the attitude of some of the "real supporters" is immature and childish and would almost make someone not want to not start following a team.
    probably shouldnt have touted the tickets on ebay after munster got knocked out though... :p

zuroph wrote: »
    probably shouldnt have touted the tickets on ebay after munster got knocked out though... :p

I didn't i put them up and sold them for face value. Just the easiest way of selling them on. I notice you didn't mention the fact that i also gave, 2 tickets away to two Leinster supporters who live across the road from me.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭Risteard

I only got into rugby in the last few years, and yes i support Munster, I started watching games as a way to spend more time with my father, and have grown to love the sport, and the team I haven't bought a Munster jersey, but did receive an Irish jersey as a gift. The reason??? Fear of being branded a bandwagon supporter.

I had a ticket for the HC final this year, got by my father for me as he wanted me to go to the game with him, Is it really fair that i should get abuse like i did about taking a ticket that should have been gotten by a "real supporter" ? Personally i think not.

Of course it's not. I started following Munster when I started playing rugby at 9 about 9 years ago. And I go to most home matches I can. I don't like this whole 'you've only supported Munster for X amount of years, you're only a bandwagonner' mentality, it's ridiculous.

Every sport has to get new fans and a successful team will attract them. Admittedly there are some that probably only go to the big matches but Thomond Park got 20000+ for each Magners League game last year when it would previously it wouldn't have sold out the old capacity. Many will point to this as evidence of a bandwagon but the fans keep coming back. There is a big difference between new fans and 'bandwagonners.'

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

I didn't i put them up and sold them for face value. Just the easiest way of selling them on. I notice you didn't mention the fact that i also gave, 2 tickets away to two Leinster supporters who live across the road from me.:cool:
    should prob take this to PM, but yeah, see you out tonight?!

zuroph wrote: »
    should prob take this to PM, but yeah, see you out tonight?!

sent

Risteard wrote: »
    Of course it's not. I started following Munster when I started playing rugby at 9 about 9 years ago. And I go to most home matches I can. I don't like this whole 'you've only supported Munster for X amount of years, you're only a bandwagonner' mentality, it's ridiculous.

Every sport has to get new fans and a successful team will attract them. Admittedly there are some that probably only go to the big matches but Thomond Park got 20000+ for each Magners League game last year when it would previously it wouldn't have sold out the old capacity. Many will point to this as evidence of a bandwagon but the fans keep coming back. There is a big difference between new fans and 'bandwagonners.'

I might not go to every game (work and cost) but i try to watch every game i can. Will be trying to go to as many as i can in future though.

I just find that the elitism in some of the members of the supporters club is laughable. do they realise that we all started to follow a team at some point, some unfortunately, later than others.

I might not go to every game but i try to watch every game i can. Will be trying to go to as many as i can in future though.

I just find that the elitism in some of the members of the supporters club is laughable. do they realise that we all started to follow a team at some point, some unfortunately, later than others.

I don't think that's very fair, there's a fair few of the Supporters club over on munsterfans.com and most are decent guys. You get the usual idiots that every team has, but never let anyone tell you who you can and can't support. If someone calls you a bandwagonner, tell the to stop being a clown.

I don't think that's very fair, there's a fair few of the Supporters club over on munsterfans.com and most are decent guys. You get the usual idiots that every team has, but never let anyone tell you who you can and can't support. If someone calls you a bandwagonner, tell the to stop being a clown.

I tried to phrase that so as not to paint everyone in the supporters club with the one brush. I know a few of the guys over on munsterfans and they're top notch, couldn't fault them, but there are a few, but as you said there's always a few.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Internet polls................:pac::pac::pac:

Advertisement