Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crazy electrical unions

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Was just reading in the Indo that those picketing at Moneypoint don't actually work there and that staff are considering crossng the picket today because of that. Strength in numbers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

smccarrick wrote: »
    Its not that easy- with every good intention in the world- if you cross a picket line you leave yourself open to having your possessions destroyed, being abused and humiliated by colleagues- which may not stop at being spat at and called all sorts of names, and you leave yourself in a position where you simply cannot trust that your colleagues have your best interests at heart- specifically in a situation where electricity, water and building sites are concerned......

Its not a case of daring to be different- its a case of making a conscious decision not to support these people- and believe you me- the sort of people who man picket lines can have very long memories.

well someone has to say enough is enough , if theese bastard unions get too much power , they wont stop untill we resemble the uk pre 1979 and i dont see a thatcher waiting in the wings to save us like she did the uk , cowen is almost completley enthralled to unions and as for his predescessor , bertie was the gift that kept on giving , it may be about money with the electricians , with the beared unions heads , its and idealogical battlefield and they think theyve struck a blow

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

irish_bob wrote: »
    well someone has to say enough is enough , if theese bastard unions get too much power , they wont stop untill we resemble the uk pre 1979 and i dont see a thatcher waiting in the wings to save us like she did the uk , cowen is almost completley enthralled to unions and as for his predescessor , bertie was the gift that kept on giving , it may be about money with the electricians , with the beared unions heads , its and idealogical battlefield and they think theyve struck a blow

The way the government is going- they are going to encourage a Thatcherite to fight there way to the fore (I hope)...... We need someone with the balls to dismantle the systems we have in place. Even Harney had good intentions- before she got mired down in the HSE mess. The country is on its knees- people don't realise how appalling the situation really is- the government don't have the guts to be forthright with the electorate.....

The way the government is going- they are going to encourage a Thatcherite to fight there way to the fore (I hope)...... We need someone with the balls to dismantle the systems we have in place. Even Harney had good intentions- before she got mired down in the HSE mess. The country is on its knees- people don't realise how appalling the situation really is- the government don't have the guts to be forthright with the electorate.....

its a terrible pity fine gael dont have a decent leader , most swing voters want to vote fine gael but kenny is what makes them think twice , labour in goverment have absolutley nothing to offer anyone who is not in the public sector

as for fianna fail, cowen and co have made a conscious descision to court the public sector vote as they see it as the only possible way they can be in goverment after the next election , never mind the levy , that was nothing in real terms of what is needed , this strategy is reflected in cowens refusal to let the anchor to reform which is social partnership die , fianna fail are if anything practical and will do what it takes to remain in power , to hell with the tax payer

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Thank you for the strike, i had some work that needed to be done, 2 new electrical motors and some re wiring on the main circuit board in my workshop, electrical contractor couldn't supply electricians, because of the strike, so i did the wiring myself, saved a nice bit of money as well.:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

its a terrible pity fine gael dont have a decent leader , most swing voters want to vote fine gael but kenny is what makes them think twice , labour in goverment have absolutley nothing to offer anyone who is not in the public sector

You are right Bob- and I disagree with you on an awful lot of things. Enda might be popular as hell in Castlebar- but he is a liability nationaly- and is probably Fianna Fail's secret weapon- as long as he remains leader of Fine Gael- Fianna Fail, despite the godawful mess they've made of the country (yet again), stand a reasonable chance of being in government next time round again.
    as for fianna fail, cowen and co have made a conscious descision to court the public sector vote as they see it as the only possible way they can be in goverment after the next election , never mind the levy , that was nothing in real terms of what is needed , this strategy is reflected in cowens refusal to let the anchor to reform which is social partnership die , fianna fail are if anything practical and will do what it takes to remain in power , to hell with the tax payer

To be honest Bob- most public sector workers I know would no more vote Fianna Fail than they would vote for Robert Mugabe. To date most of the cuts and a lot of the income generation- have been focused in the public sector. When you factor the increased levies- and the pension levy into the equation- the average public sector employee's net pay is down 16% year to date. Most of them are quietly furious- and are more likely to vote for Sinn Fein (god forbid they ever get a chance to practice any of their economic policies!) than they are for Fianna Fail.

Fianna Fail used to be considered the farmer's party. You can bet they won't be getting many votes from that quarter either........

You are right Bob- and I disagree with you on an awful lot of things. Enda might be popular as hell in Castlebar- but he is a liability nationaly- and is probably Fianna Fail's secret weapon- as long as he remains leader of Fine Gael- Fianna Fail, despite the godawful mess they've made of the country (yet again), stand a reasonable chance of being in government next time round again.

To be honest Bob- most public sector workers I know would no more vote Fianna Fail than they would vote for Robert Mugabe. To date most of the cuts and a lot of the income generation- have been focused in the public sector. When you factor the increased levies- and the pension levy into the equation- the average public sector employee's net pay is down 16% year to date. Most of them are quietly furious- and are more likely to vote for Sinn Fein (god forbid they ever get a chance to practice any of their economic policies!) than they are for Fianna Fail.

Fianna Fail used to be considered the farmer's party. You can bet they won't be getting many votes from that quarter either........

its fine gael who used to be considered the farmers party , the public sector go to the dance with labour but go home with fianna fail , the only difference between fianna fail and labour in relation to the public sector is , the public sector is all labour have , both parties reward them in equal measure , labour because they are into that kind of thing and fianna fail out of practicality , fianna fail represent the irish charechter more than any other party , they know that while the majority of irish people dont work in the public sector , this being a small country , their is no one who hasnt a relative who does work in the public sector and if thier is one thing that irish people like , its keeping money in the family , thier are a million public sector direct and indirect votes out there and fianna fail know this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭gflood

So here is the resolution:

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/electrician-dispute-to-end-as-new-deal-agreed-1817195.html

I an trying to come to terms with the fact that thousands are losing their jobs and taking pay cuts in the private sector and these assholes get a pay rise. It is a disgrace. This has now set a precedent for more of this type of action.

This country needs to reduce price to become competitive not increase them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭In All Fairness

What really fcuks me off is the ability of the media, the Unions and Leinster House to set decent people against each other. I know struggling business people, struggling public sector workers and struggling private sector workers who are working their fingers to the bone just to survive. They are represented by people who have no morgtages or piddling ones who deliberately try to group people together so they have no voice. Teacher's unions? Garda unions? Ibec? Bollocks. It is a generational thing. It is about time that the Guards, the nurses, the teachers, the younger doctors, the younger accountants and all professionals got together and formed their own union. They should turn around to their superiors and say you don't represent me. You get £60,000 a year and have no outgoings cos I'm still paying back your national debt. Income tax should be levied after your mortgage payments and those who have had everything all their lives should start paying their share. Instead you have union gob****es(extremely well remunerated) hand in glove with the government attempting to blur the goalposts cos they're alright Jack. They want their children to be slaves and they can go fcuk themselves. I welcome proper unions, it is what this country was built on. I welcome a day when we tell the landlords ( not British anymore, our own parents) to get a grip or go fcuk themselves. We don't believe in a two-tiered unfettered capitalist society, and if we do then don't turn up at the graves of Michael Collins or James Connolly in 2016 cos it's no more than a desecration.
    I will engage to make sure that smug elitist prick Garrett Fitzgerald isn't there unless he is willing to meet the people first, instead of pontificating in the "Irish Times". He's just the sort of cnut who would take a lower wage from them than the Indo (rag) cos he wants to be impartial. God I hate what our society has become where nobody wants to contribute anymore because of the inequality.

*rant over*

\gets gun

What really fcuks me off is the ability of the media, the Unions and Leinster House to set decent people against each other. I know struggling business people, struggling public sector workers and struggling private sector workers who are working their fingers to the bone just to survive. They are represented by people who have no morgtages or piddling ones who deliberately try to group people together so they have no voice. Teacher's unions? Garda unions? Ibec? Bollocks. It is a generational thing. It is about time that the Guards, the nurses, the teachers, the younger doctors, the younger accountants and all professionals got together and formed their own union. They should turn around to their superiors and say you don't represent me. You get £60,000 a year and have no outgoings cos I'm still paying back your national debt. Income tax should be levied after your mortgage payments and those who have had everything all their lives should start paying their share. Instead you have union gob****es(extremely well remunerated) hand in glove with the government attempting to blur the goalposts cos they're alright Jack. They want their children to be slaves and they can go fcuk themselves. I welcome proper unions, it is what this country was built on. I welcome a day when we tell the landlords ( not British anymore, our own parents) to get a grip or go fcuk themselves. We don't believe in a two-tiered unfettered capitalist society, and if we do then don't turn up at the graves of Michael Collins or James Connolly in 2016 cos it's no more than a desecration.
    I will engage to make sure that smug elitist prick Garrett Fitzgerald isn't there unless he is willing to meet the people first, instead of pontificating in the "Irish Times". He's just the sort of cnut who would take a lower wage from them than the Indo (rag) cos he wants to be impartial. God I hate what our society has become where nobody wants to contribute anymore because of the inequality.

*rant over*

\gets gun

why would teachers , nurses and garda need to join a new union , each group has a union and all three are extremley well paid

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

gflood wrote: »
    So here is the resolution:

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/electrician-dispute-to-end-as-new-deal-agreed-1817195.html

I an trying to come to terms with the fact that thousands are losing their jobs and taking pay cuts in the private sector and these assholes get a pay rise. It is a disgrace. This has now set a precedent for more of this type of action.

This country needs to reduce price to become competitive not increase them.

They say they are looking for a resolution. The simplest resolution would be that employers pay the increases when they are due to stop increasing tensions with their work force.

Then when they turn around and say listen we can't afford it, the workers might actually be able to trust them. Employers have created a lack of faith in them by their work force, the resolution is to fix that problem by being more honest with the work force.

Of course they don't have the sense to even admit there is a problem.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

There are about 250 working days per year.

Being out of work for 10 days is the same as 4% of annual wages.

Given the current climate does anyone think that 4-5% pay rise will be kept for several years or will this affect their employment ? Also will this affect their nixers ?

Advertisement