Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Intelligent vs. educated

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Generally people who have higher degrees and the like are intelligent.
    Now I can say about 99% of ireland is educated up to atleast secondary school levels. Both the failures and the successful students, but you can be fairly sure the success students have above average intelligence, the failures are no offense to anyone but usually lazy and not willing to put in the work needed trying to be cool or whatever(F*cking idiots) which is a sign of a lack of intelligence by forgoing a good education for slacking off and looking cool in front of your mates who you will probably never see again after secondary school. The amount of tools that think like this is amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

Name, address and a picture of said cousin please.

I got there first;)

Ok its me Iam talking about:(

• Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

mufc4lfe wrote: »
    Is my cousin highly intelligent or highly educated?

Neither, he is book smart. Personnally I'm only aiming for 300 odd in the Leaving but I'd consider myself highly intelligent, knowledgeable and street smart, what's more important in the long-term, the latter option.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Neither, he is book smart. Personnally I'm only aiming for 300 odd in the Leaving but I'd consider myself highly intelligent, knowledgeable and street smart, what's more important in the long-term, the latter option.
    Being intelligent and street-smart all fine and stuff but I'd rather have a well paying job than being street-smart whatever the hell that is, its not like we fight for survival on the streets.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

its not like we fight for survival on the streets.

*Awaits a Dublin or Limerick reference*:rolleyes:

Your right though,just by growing up you will gain enough cop on to stay safe on the streets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Street smart is grand in Dublin...can't stand why people say it in small towns with like 2 or 3 streets. Then again, how much is there to it? Anyway, there's a place for everyone is society. As somebody said, hard work < (is that greater or less than? see, I'm abit of a retard too) all. If you're a lazy shíthead, society won't reward you. If your a hard working person but have no social skills, you'll be rewarded but only so much professionally and perhaps that's good enough for some people. If you have both...well then you're on the ball as the man says.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Esmeralda34

Generally people who have higher degrees and the like are intelligent.
    Now I can say about 99% of ireland is educated up to atleast secondary school levels. Both the failures and the successful students, but you can be fairly sure the success students have above average intelligence, the failures are no offense to anyone but usually lazy and not willing to put in the work needed trying to be cool or whatever(F*cking idiots) which is a sign of a lack of intelligence by forgoing a good education for slacking off and looking cool in front of your mates who you will probably never see again after secondary school. The amount of tools that think like this is amazing.
    A prime example of a lack of emotional intelligence...!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

*Awaits a Dublin or Limerick reference*:rolleyes:

Your right though,just by growing up you will gain enough cop on to stay safe on the streets.
    jumpguy wrote: »
    Street smart is grand in Dublin...can't stand why people say it in small towns with like 2 or 3 streets. Then again, how much is there to it? Anyway, there's a place for everyone is society. As somebody said, hard work < (is that greater or less than? see, I'm abit of a retard too) all. If you're a lazy shíthead, society won't reward you. If your a hard working person but have no social skills, you'll be rewarded but only so much professionally and perhaps that's good enough for some people. If you have both...well then you're on the ball as the man says.

Prime example of knowing what "street smart" is.

I knew what "street smart", "education" and "intelligence" was for sure at 19.

Now I know I was a know it all twat.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

Academia is overrated.

Scoring high in your leaving cert essentially means you have good concentration skills, you have a good enough memory to allow you to regurgitate what you have been told to remember, and you have the discipline to put all of this down on to paper on the day in question.

If you succeed at the above, you will be rewarded with being able to continue the same display of skills for another 4 or 5 years, and will land yourself a nice job at the end of it. You will then carry on through said job safe in the knowledge that you are an intelligent and a worthy human being.

At the other end of the scale, there are people who have dire attention spans yet are extremely intelligent. There are people who have bad articulation skills yet are extremely intelligent. There are people who get nervous on important days such as exam day and simply can't do their knowledge justice, yet are extremely intelligent. And there are people who prefer to hang around with their mates rather than stay at home and memorise, yet, are extremely intelligent.

The snobbery towards academic ability and the equation of that with "intelligence" is depressing. There are just too many things that people are good at to judge it within that one context.

K-9 wrote: »
    Prime example of knowing what "street smart" is.

I knew what "street smart", "education" and "intelligence" was for sure at 19.

Now I know I was a know it all twat.
    Wha? How the heck is my post a prime example of knowing what street smart is? :confused:

• Advertisement

Wha? How the heck is my post a prime example of knowing what street smart is? :confused:

Ach, Street smart doesn't just apply to Dublin. It isn't just a city thing.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭flas

hard work,charm and carisma will bring you further in this life than anything else. If you can hold a decent conversation and work hard at your profession your on your way.

Ohhhh right I get ya.* I don't live in Dublin or any city though. So the street smart thing doesn't so much apply here, there's not much to know, everyone knows everyone really. :)

*I think

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

Ach, Street smart doesn't just apply to Dublin. It isn't just a city thing.

It is. You're probably thinking of field-smart.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

Ok this is a question I have been thinking about and posesd to people.I have a cousin he is 16.....he is a top student proberly going to get 550+ points in his leaving cert.He likes to read and has wrote poems in his spare time which have won awards.He is not a real freaky geek type guy now....hes a sound average guy,likes his xbox not so much sports.Now on the otherside theres my brother.......same age not your top student will aim to get about 200-250 points in his leaving cert like myself.In contrast to my cousin he is a super athlete,fit,strong great footballer and even better basketballer.He is as you say street wise in contast to my cousin.Now the big question,would you say my cousin is more intelligent than my brother.....the top stundent vs. the street wise athlethe?Is my cousin highly intelligent or highly educated?

obviously the first guy is smarter. your brother is good at sport. there's a difference.

but I agree it's hard to say what intelligence is. you just used a crap example

Ohhhh right I get ya.* I don't live in Dublin or any city though. So the street smart thing doesn't so much apply here, there's not much to know, everyone knows everyone really. :)

*I think
    Cianos wrote: »
    It is. You're probably thinking of field-smart.

Suppose it's the "ould cop on" to me. Some have it, some don't.

Suppose it's the "ould cop on" to me. Some have it, some don't.
    Spose I don't then. Dang. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭browne_rob5

I got 485 points in the leaving cert without doing much work and would consider myself both knowledgeable and street smart as have been successful in business and well travelled as well as getting along with people well. Would not however consider myself highly intelligent.

Highly intelligent people make a difference in whatever field they choose to work in. Someone of high intelligence should be able to easily get close to full points in leaving cert.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

Ok this is a question I have been thinking about and posesd to people.I have a cousin he is 16.....he is a top student proberly going to get 550+ points in his leaving cert.He likes to read and has wrote poems in his spare time which have won awards.He is not a real freaky geek type guy now....hes a sound average guy,likes his xbox not so much sports.Now on the otherside theres my brother.......same age not your top student will aim to get about 200-250 points in his leaving cert like myself.In contrast to my cousin he is a super athlete,fit,strong great footballer and even better basketballer.He is as you say street wise in contast to my cousin.Now the big question,would you say my cousin is more intelligent than my brother.....the top stundent vs. the street wise athlethe?Is my cousin highly intelligent or highly educated?

If your cousin hasn't left school, he is not highly educated (yet). I know loads of people who scored highly on the LC but are really only of average IQ, as well as many high scorers who are genuinely brilliant, as well as some genuinely brilliant people who never even finished school. Long story short, although most educated people are intelligent, and most intelligent people are educated, they're not mutually exclusive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

We can't be good at everything,

Have you tried?

It's fun.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

Within the spectrum of different IQs there's not much difference in who has the most cop-on.

People who aren't academically gifted often cite the example of one or two people at the higher end of the intelligence scale who aren't good socially. I could tell you lots of people I know from all different backgrounds who are poor socially, or don't have a lot of common sense. I went to uni with some of the cleverest people in the country, and I work with the same. Some of them are incredibly wise, some aren't. Same with people I know who haven't got good academic minds.

People who aren't great academically like to think clever people don't have a clue, because it makes them feel better about being less brainy :P But it's just not true. Maybe at the utter extremes of both ends of the scale, there's some anomalies. Maybe the absolute top 0.5% don't fit in well at parties so well. But neither do the bottom 0.5% either.

We're all the same. The only thing that's consistent is that the more you think you're worldly wise, the less you probably are :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

intelligence is being able to learn.. educated is being busy and using it....

there was an intelligent guy in my year.... all A and Bs in the junior cert and then he left school because his equally intelligent sister went skitzo and tried to kill somone with a hammer /no joke

he as writing his own book since 1st year about an egyptian sorcerer....and knew hyrogliphes (lol i cant even spell it)

that said he was a complete social retard.. people tried but he just was unlikable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭petethebrick

I'm what many people consider intelligent Got 500 points in leaving, first class honours masters degree etc. I get away with doing very little academically to get good results but I think I have more of a robotic intelligence than a functional intelligence.
    I also have good social skills - lots of friends, good fun when out.
    But I definitely wish I had more common sense - for example: I'll regularly blow my monthly pay check within the first week or so of the month on a binge of drinking, drugs, gambling or a combination of all of these. :o
    Always seem to make wrong decisions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 231 ✭✭mandysmithers

tallaght01 wrote: »

People who aren't academically gifted often cite the example of one or two people at the higher end of the intelligence scale who aren't good socially. .......
    People who aren't great academically like to think clever people don't have a clue, because it makes them feel better about being less brainy :P But it's just not true. Maybe at the utter extremes of both ends of the scale, there's some anomalies. Maybe the absolute top 0.5% don't fit in well at parties so well. But neither do the bottom 0.5% either.

I agree 100%. People who don't do well at school often say "the braniacs are such nerds, with no social skills or friends". They only sound bitter. The fact is, as stated above, there are people who are academic who are also very sociable & popular; the same can be said for people who didn't do well in school. The opposite is also true. Being brainy and academic does not automatically equal social ineptness. Often an education can open a person's mind and broaden their horizons, thus giving them some refinement. (Note the use of the word 'often', not 'always')

I would be inclined to think that a person's intelligence will help them to do well in school/university, I don't think a person of low intelligence would be getting over 500 points in their leaving, or getting a 1st class degree. If an intelligent person gets access to a proper education, and isn't lazy, I would think that they will generally do well.

That said, there are different types of intelligence. Up to now, I've been referring to the usual intelligence, ie. braininess/academic ability. There's also emotional intelligence, physical intelligence etc. A person can rate highly in all, some, or none. It's what they use their intelligence for that counts.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,419 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

I'm what many people consider intelligent Got 500 points in leaving, first class honours masters degree etc. I get away with doing very little academically to get good results but I think I have more of a robotic intelligence than a functional intelligence.
    I also have good social skills - lots of friends, good fun when out.
    But I definitely wish I had more common sense - for example: I'll regularly blow my monthly pay check within the first week or so of the month on a binge of drinking, drugs, gambling or a combination of all of these. :o
    Always seem to make wrong decisions.

That's educated.
    Intelligence is knowing that drugs/gambling/drinking screw you up and you use this knowledge to avoid doing them.
    And that if you have €1000 for one month and you spend it all in 2 weeks..= 0 money for the rest of the month.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

The difference between ignorant and educated people is that the latter know more facts. But that has nothing to do with whether they are stupid or intelligent.

--Neal Stephenson The Diamond Age

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭Fink Goddie

David Beckham is good at sport, would you consider him smart?? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭and2

I have a masters degree, so am I educated or more intelligent than the next person that doesnt, I dont think so. My GF did not finish college. Way more intelligent than me. I think it comes down to aptitude. I can revise and cram for any exam and I will pass it. But as for remembering it after, no chance!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

I got 485 points in the leaving cert without doing much work and would consider myself both knowledgeable and street smart as have been successful in business and well travelled as well as getting along with people well. Would not however consider myself highly intelligent.

Highly intelligent people make a difference in whatever field they choose to work in. Someone of high intelligence should be able to easily get close to full points in leaving cert.

someone of high inteligence probably wouldn;'t bother
    leaving is an aptitude test

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭token56

First of all when dealing with intelligence there is more than just the one type being mentioned here i.e. academic intelligence etc, there is also emotional intelligence, understanding and dealing with emotions etc. This is just as important as academic intelligence. In my exerience people who are very logical thinkers etc who may considered themselves somewhat intelligent academically would have pretty bad emotional intelligence, I know I do.

In both cases education can help people who may not inherently be strong in a particular area, for example grinds to help with maths, or going to a counsellor to help deal with some emotion. In both cases this education is helpful and can improve a persons ability but I dont think there is any substitute at being natuarly gifted in a particular area. I believe at some point how far a person can be educated is going to be limited by how naturally intelligent a person is in that area.

Just my thoughts

Advertisement