Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Intelligent vs. educated

Options
  • 03-07-2009 12:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭

Ok this is a question I have been thinking about and posesd to people.I have a cousin he is 16.....he is a top student proberly going to get 550+ points in his leaving cert.He likes to read and has wrote poems in his spare time which have won awards.He is not a real freaky geek type guy now....hes a sound average guy,likes his xbox not so much sports.Now on the otherside theres my brother.......same age not your top student will aim to get about 200-250 points in his leaving cert like myself.In contrast to my cousin he is a super athlete,fit,strong great footballer and even better basketballer.He is as you say street wise in contast to my cousin.Now the big question,would you say my cousin is more intelligent than my brother.....the top stundent vs. the street wise athlethe?Is my cousin highly intelligent or highly educated?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

mufc4lfe wrote: »
    Ok this is a question I have been thinking about and posesd to people.I have a cousin he is 16.....he is a top student proberly going to get 550+ points in his leaving cert.He likes to read and has written poems in his spare time which have won awards.He is not a real freaky geek type guy now....hes a sound average guy,likes his xbox not so much sports.Now on the otherside there's my brother.......same age not your top student will aim to get about 200-250 points in his leaving cert like myself.In contrast to my cousin he is a super athlete,fit,strong great footballer and even better basketballer.He is as you say street wise in contast to my cousin.Now the big question,would you say my cousin is more intelligent than my brother.....the top stundent vs. the street wise athlethe?Is my cousin highly intelligent or highly educated?

FYP.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

My friend, you have stumbled across one of the biggest and most obvious mysteries of life - we all have a particular skill or talent. We can't be good at everything, we all have a particular set of good attributes and bad attributes. Sure even look at yourself, there's always something you're good at, and then something you're bad at. It's all balanced out... For example, you have some EXTREMELY nerdy people who'll get 600 points in their leaving cert no problem, but they have the ****tiest social skills going and aren't a likeable person. On the other hand, there's people who'll never do the leaving cert, but are very nice people, great social skills, always having great fun. They might never earn a huge wage, but they'll marry a rich woman and they'll be grand.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 130 ✭✭tedstriker

Sometimes though some people are smarter than others.. in pretty much everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

Exactly, theres lots of different types of intelligence, having a good head for certain things etc....I think being good at a certain sport requires a lot of intelligence and you have to think quickly.

it all balances out. for example, take the op, on one hand you've shown a great insight for intelligent thought and rationale, on the other hand you're also a man utd fan.....:pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

I have a cousin that at the age of 23 was a professor at Trinity, Dublin. Honestly.
    When he did his leaving he got the best results in the whole of Ireland.
    Needless to say he was snapped up as soon as he walked through the exit gates.
    He now (and for many years) still works for NASA in Florida. Some secret crap.
    He has brains to burn, can work out the square root of any 10 digit number in seconds, etc...
    That said, try holding a conversation with him and one minute your talking about football and the next minute he off talking about the quantum mechanics of the big bang theory and starts to write on the back of beer mats maths equations.
    Long story short - he can't relate to people. In a room of party people, he ALWAYS sticks out like a sore thumb.

Is he intelligent? Yes.
    Is he street-wise? Not a bit. He wouldn't know the price of bread or milk, how to change a car tyre, how to fix a leak or change a plug, etc.

My parents when we were both young used to say "why can't you be like him?" - now they say "Thank god you never turned out like him!"

There is no right or wrong way to be, I'm just grateful there is both around to balance the scales!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

Biggins wrote: »
    I have a cousin that at the age of 23 was a professor at Trinity, Dublin. Honestly.
    When he did his leaving he got the best results in the whole of Ireland.
    Needless to say he was snapped up as soon as he walked through the exit gates.
    He now (and for many years) still works for NASA in Florida. Some secret crap.
    He has brains to burn, can work out the square root of any 10 digit number in seconds, etc...
    That said, try holding a conversation with him and one minute your talking about football and the next minute he off talking about the quantum mechanics of the big bang theory and starts to write on the back of beer mats maths equations.
    Long story short - he can't relate to people. In a room of party people, he ALWAYS sticks out like a sore thumb.

Is he intelligent? Yes.
    Is he street-wise? Not a bit. He wouldn't know the price of bread or milk, how to change a car tyre, how to fix a leak or change a plug, etc.

My parents when we were both young used to say "why can't you be like him?" - now they say "Thank god you never turned out like him!"

There is no right or wrong way to be, I'm just grateful there is both around to balance the scales!

It's always secret with you isn't it? :p

It's always secret with you isn't it? :p
    It's this darn tinter net thingy. Can't say nouth! :pac:

He tells us feck all but we get some lovely rare NASA objects when he is home.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

can work out the square root of any 10 digit number in seconds, etc...

That's not all that impressive, I can do that. Just try me.

*pulls out calculator*

That's not all that impressive, I can do that. Just try me.

*pulls out calculator*

:pac:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

:pac:

I stand corrected. My calculator has no pacman button. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

Chances are, your cousin probably is more intelligent than your brother due to a number of points you made.

That being said, nothing's a definite.

I stand corrected. My calculator has no pacman button. :(

:D Very good!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭fionnmar

at 16 your cousin hasnt been educated (in the academic sense)...i mean he hasnt a PhD from harvard or anything. He is obviously book smart, which is different from street smart (or athlete-smart or drama-smart or whatever 'smart' you have)...in older people who didnt have the chance for education i think there is a more defined difference because they didnt get the chance to develop whatever talents they have, but they still have a gift - this is what i consider to be the difference between 'intelligence' and 'education' - intelligence is like your inherent talent (some have stronger talents than others) and education is the formal development of that talent - in whatever field your gift or talent is

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Intelligence is more important and refined than being educated.

The 2 views of intelligence you have presented OP are both limited.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

As a general point, I would hesitate to judge intelligence and education on the LC exam ;)

K-9 wrote: »
    Intelligence is far more important than being educated.
    Why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

There's different types of "intelligence" even outside of whether someone is "educated" or not. I can score really well on aptitude and IQ tests, have a great memory and am told I'm good craic and can hold conversations well, so I think I'm fairly lucky in that respect.
    There's a guy in his 50s who I knew as a mate's mother's boyfriend who left school at 14, was on and off the dole his whole life, was good craic but never seemed all that smart. We were doing a crossword once and Christ I've never seen anything like it, he just flew through it. So there's uneducated and not overtly "intelligent" yet in one respect he was more "intelligent" than anyone else I've met.
    Then there are people who did sweet FA in school and learned up on things in their free time.

Both within "educated" and "intelligent" there are many, many facets which I doubt we're going to come to a reasonable answer to settle on.

K4t wrote: »
    Why?

Google the different forms of intelligence. Sorry I had to educate you there! ;)

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Pete4779

Ok this is a question I have been thinking about and posesd to people.I have a cousin he is 16.....he is a top student proberly going to get 550+ points in his leaving cert.He likes to read and has wrote poems in his spare time which have won awards.He is not a real freaky geek type guy now....hes a sound average guy,likes his xbox not so much sports.Now on the otherside theres my brother.......same age not your top student will aim to get about 200-250 points in his leaving cert like myself.In contrast to my cousin he is a super athlete,fit,strong great footballer and even better basketballer.He is as you say street wise in contast to my cousin.Now the big question,would you say my cousin is more intelligent than my brother.....the top stundent vs. the street wise athlethe?Is my cousin highly intelligent or highly educated?

well street-wise is great for when you end up living on the streets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭fionnmar

hmm..i would lay a lot more value on native intelligence than education. i have a lot of education (as in degree, postgrads etc) but that doesnt make me intelligent...my father who has no education (as in Phd, MSc, BSc) has a lot more refinement and quicker to cop on and analyse stories than i

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭devereaux17

the people who say education isnt important are generally idiots. they like to justify their pathetic existence by saying 'ah sure theres something for everyone' shut up and clean my shoes ya toad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

I would venture, that by studying for his exams and working for his exams your cousin is demonstrating higher intelligence than that of your brother, who must be doing little or no work to be aiming at 200-250 points.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

Why?

Because.

If you're not intelligent, all the education in the world won't make you any more apt to succeed. Academic intelligence is only one facet of intelligence though, and people seem to just hang their hats on academia - they either succeed at it or they don't, and they define themselves by it.

It takes all kinds of people to make the world work - if everyone was the same kind of smart we'd be buggered (without the fun).

K-9 wrote: »
    Google the different forms of intelligence. Sorry I had to educate you there! ;)
    In the modern world, education is extremely important. You cna't get a decent job without at least some sort of degree, and even at the moment, degrees are are not getting people jobs. Intelligence is also very important I agree, because it is intelligence generally which decides the standard of said degree.

Having said all that, hard work > Education/Intelligence.

the people who say education isnt important are generally idiots. they like to justify their pathetic existence by saying 'ah sure theres something for everyone' shut up and clean my shoes ya toad.

LOLz.

You really don't get it?

You can be educated and intelligent but also educated and not particularly intelligent. Your post would be a good example.

Nobody has said education isn't important, but some posters haven't the intelligence to see the distinction?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 _Mia_

Is my cousin highly intelligent or highly educated?

If they both live in Ireland, then they will have both gone through primary and secondary school, will have been taught the same course material and will both be learning the same stuff from the same curriculum. They are both exactly as educated as each other. Your cousin is just better at remembering, processing and reproducing the stuff he's been taught. Your cousin probably is more naturally "intelligent" than your brother, in the general sense of the word.

No biggie though. Your brother sounds like he has plenty going for him, you don't need to be academic to be successful.

dyl10 wrote: »
    I would venture, that by studying for his exams and working for his exams your cousin is demonstrating higher intelligence than that of your brother, who must be doing little or no work to be aiming at 200-250 points.

Fair point.
    In the modern world, education is extremely important. You cna't get a decent job without at least some sort of degree, and even at the moment, degrees are are not getting people jobs. Intelligence is also very important I agree, because it is intelligence generally which decides the standard of said degree.

Having said all that, hard work > Education/Intelligence.

Nobody is saying education isn't important. That wouldn't be intelligent! ;)

Different degrees require different forms of intelligence? Intelligence doesn't decide the standard at all, definitely not. The type of intelligence does.

_Mia_ wrote: »
    If they both live in Ireland, then they will have both gone through primary and secondary school, will have been taught the same course material and will both be learning the same stuff from the same curriculum. They are both exactly as educated as each other. Your cousin is just better at remembering, processing and reproducing the stuff he's been taught. Your cousin probably is more naturally "intelligent" than your brother, in the general sense of the word.

No biggie though. Your brother sounds like he has plenty going for him, you don't need to be academic to be successful.

Exactly. I'm crap at certain things. It requires a certain form of intelligence that I lack to be good at those things.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

What? You can't be serious. How can you say intelligence is not as important than education. Look at former US president George Bush, he was educated but the man was a complete buffoon. You need to be intelligent to do your job well and the ability to think on your own. Otherwise, you'll be only a fellow who can learn off set guidelines and can't think outside the box at all. As good as an assembly worker in a factor if you ask me...or a bureaucrat. If you think gazing into books and trawling the interwebz throughout your life is gonna make you great then it's time to think again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

My cousin is a smart whore but he is a tw@t.

He reminds me of the nerds homer befriends in the Simpsons,once they leave Uni,wallet inspector.He is the type that would fall for that.

• Advertisement

My cousin is a smart whore but he is a tw@t.

He reminds me of the nerds homer befriends in the Simpsons,once they leave Uni,wallet inspector.He is the type that would fall for that.
    Name, address and a picture of said cousin please.

Advertisement