Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

modern day parenting

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Jeebus

don't let it get to you head.....

Smmmmmmeeeeeeeeegggggggg Hhhheeeeaaaaddddd

Did your parents leave you hang about street corners until 10 or 11 at night or something ? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

Jeebus wrote: »
    Did your parents leave you hang about street corners until 10 or 11 at night or something ? :rolleyes:

No they sat me in front of the telly and made me watch the life of brian bottem red dwarf and the young one's :(

did i miss something ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

carlybabe1 wrote: »
    So here I am at 11.45pm watching tv (well I was), my ten & six yr olds in bed fast asleep since 10.00pm, (in off the road since 9.30pm) when the sounds of screeching and laughter come through my open windows. I know the voices, and they're all between the ages of 6 & 11. Out on the road at 11.45pm, no sign of an adult anywhere. This kind of cr*p really boils my piss, I mean SERIOUSLY,is it just me??? Am I out of touch altogether, or is there something very wrong when we let such young kids wander round this late at night without supervision?
    It comes across as the parent/s not giving a f*ck as long as the kids arent indoors annoying them and disrupting the tv shows.
    Am I just an outdated dinosaur, or do you think I have a point?

That is seriously too late for them to be out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭we'llallhavetea_old

The annoying thing is, god forbid something happened to the kids, the parents will be the first ones to scream and bawl about how could it have happened! You're not a dinosaur, i'm twenty four, have a five year old daughter and i dont let her out on the street at all. Ever. She doesn't ask to go out there, but if she did, i'd be out there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

Young hoppa's gotz ta slang dey shi-at yo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 861 ✭✭✭KeyLimePie

I agree with the OP :\ my sister is 12 and I would not leave her out at these hours

And it's not the parents being too liberal, it's just that they don't care one bit

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Depends where you live, in Dublin, no. In any rough area, no. In a nice quiet and small neighbourhood, yes. I used to be out until like 1 or 2 on a good weekend with my brother and sister & all the friends and people in the neighbourhood and we'd have great craic. Freedom like that is needed in childhood like. Most annoying thing about "modern" parents (modern as in 2000's) is parents who wrap their child in a bubble and sends them to far away "nice" schools.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

jumpguy wrote: »
    Depends where you live, in Dublin, no. In any rough area, no. In a nice quiet and small neighbourhood, yes. I used to be out until like 1 or 2 on a good weekend with my brother and sister & all the friends and people in the neighbourhood and we'd have great craic. Freedom like that is needed in childhood like. Most annoying thing about "modern" parents (modern as in 2000's) is parents who wrap their child in a bubble and sends them to far away "nice" schools. Going to public school is important to have a well-balanced person.

Without wanting to turn this into a public/private school debate, I disagree. I went to a public school until 13 and a private secondary school, for the first couple of years still played with kids around home that went to the local community school and consider myself nicely balanced.

Lol, nice edit reason! You're dead right it's not worth arguing about, and it's true a lot of people in private schools end up tosspots who look down on people less well off, I know plenty of them. I on the other hand am quite happy to associate with pretty much anyone who isnt a scumbag and who's reasonably friendly.

jumpguy wrote: »
    Depends where you live, in Dublin, no. In any rough area, no. In a nice quiet and small neighbourhood, yes. I used to be out until like 1 or 2 on a good weekend with my brother and sister & all the friends and people in the neighbourhood and we'd have great craic. Freedom like that is needed in childhood like. Most annoying thing about "modern" parents (modern as in 2000's) is parents who wrap their child in a bubble and sends them to far away "nice" schools.

True, ever notice how kids with strict parents never quite fit in anywhere and get bullied and beaten up and stabbed etc

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

True, ever notice how kids with strict parents never quite fit in anywhere and get bullied and beaten up and stabbed etc

And you ever notice the kids with liberal parents end up bullying, stabbing and beating up others?

Think there was a book about this type of thing published at some stage.

I love stereotypes!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement

I would prefer to be the stabber than the stabbie. Wouldnt you agree?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

sdonn wrote: »
    Without wanting to turn this into a public/private school debate, I disagree. I went to a public school until 13 and a private secondary school, for the first couple of years still played with kids around home that went to the local community school and consider myself nicely balanced.

Lol, nice edit reason! You're dead right it's not worth arguing about, and it's true a lot of people in private schools end up tosspots who look down on people less well off, I know plenty of them. I on the other hand am quite happy to associate with pretty much anyone who isnt a scumbag and who's reasonably friendly.
    Ya fecker you got me quoted before the edit! :P
    K-9 wrote: »
    And you ever notice the kids with liberal parents end up bullying, stabbing and beating up others?

Think there was a book about this type of thing published at some stage.

I love stereotypes!
    My parents are by no means liberal. They're not, no, no, no. I got the smack in the hole when I needed it. It's just...different. You're only that young once, and you just can't stifle children like that. It's definetly a happy-medium thing. It's too hard to put into words though.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

I would prefer to be the stabber than the stabbie. Wouldnt you agree?

Personally, I don't go with either. There is a medium.
    jumpguy wrote:
    My parents are by no means liberal. They're not, no, no, no. I got the smack in the hole when I needed it. It's just...different. You're only that young once, and you just can't stifle children like that. It's definetly a happy-medium thing. It's too hard to put into words though.

Exactly. If you encourage kids to be bullies it will backfire later on you. One of the few things that do come back to haunt those that do deserve to suffer!
    They'll usually be the criers though. Not the kids, more the parents!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

Grew up in a council estate myself, best times of my life.... but that was near 35 years ago and things have changed since then. I decided with hubby to move out to the country with our 4 kids. Great move for our kids but personally I'm a council estate girl, I really miss the closeness of all the people around me and the community thingy, if ya get me!!

Just came from my sisters house in a Galway city council estate tonight and she is close to tears as half of the estate's young kids were still out at 10.30pm screaming and kicking balls outside her front door:mad:

Problem is that the new council houses have no front gardens and they also have these air vents installed in every room which allow all the noise outside to filter inside, it's enough to drive ya insane, coupled with the fact that most of these young kids have parents who really don't give a flying f**k what their kids are up to

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭lgoring21

The annoying thing is, god forbid something happened to the kids, the parents will be the first ones to scream and bawl about how could it have happened! You're not a dinosaur, i'm twenty four, have a five year old daughter and i dont let her out on the street at all. Ever. She doesn't ask to go out there, but if she did, i'd be out there too.

+1

im23 and have a 3 and half year old..and its the same with me..its absolutely disgusting driving in2 council estate with these toddlers playin barbies sittin in the middle of the road...even at 11 and 12 kids that age they are still out runnin the street

in my opinon thats not wrappin them up in cotton wool..my son doesnt full comprehend the rules of the road or if strange person gave him sweets i know he wood walk off with him...its the innocence of them.

in my opinion during summer hols there is enuf hours during the day for them to be out with their mates than running the streets at all hours of the night too..

• Registered Users Posts: 28,870 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Problem is that the new council houses have no front gardens

Good point
    and they also have these air vents installed in every room which allow all the noise outside to filter inside,

You mean the same vital things that allow very potentially dangerous CO2 gases to escape from your house. Statements like this might encourage people to stuff a sock in these vents, and that's a very dangerous thing to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

There's a balance to be reached. Kids can play on the road, especially on cul de sacs, always have, always will. They should be taught how to do so safely, and car drivers MUST be careful in estates.
    Parents should have rules about where they can and can't play. My sisters, is quite simple, yes you can play on our road, but you are NOT allowed around the corner. Her door is left on the latch, the sitting room looks over the road, and she sits outside a lot chatting to neighbours etc. and keeping an eye. If one of my nephews goes around the corner, the 8 year old did once, he is grounded and not allowed out at all for 24 hours. He hasn't done it since. As they get older they will be allowed more freedom, but for now the end of the road is enough.
    The neighbours know one another and the kids. You cannot wrap a kid in cotton wool they need some freedom.
    As to the time thing. In the summer we played outside until it was dark, and that was the deal, we had to be in before dark. We lived in the country so dark, was properly dark. Though the midges normally drove us in before that anyway :-)
    I had great parents, we were not neglected. We've all grown up happy and healthy individuals. You have to let kids be kids and have some freedom, especially in the summer holidays.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭carlybabe1

lgoring21 wrote: »
    +1

im23 and have a 3 and half year old..and its the same with me..its absolutely disgusting driving in2 council estate with these toddlers playin barbies sittin in the middle of the road...even at 11 and 12 kids that age they are still out runnin the street

in my opinon thats not wrappin them up in cotton wool..my son doesnt full comprehend the rules of the road or if strange person gave him sweets i know he wood walk off with him...its the innocence of them.

in my opinion during summer hols there is enuf hours during the day for them to be out with their mates than running the streets at all hours of the night too..
    This is exactly my point +1
    The kids aren't out playing and havin great crack in the community type of thing, I had that too, but you could be damn sure my parents as well as others were out there too. This is just a "get out of my hair" scenario. Not a parent even looking out the window

• Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I grew up in the country. There was a small group of us as kids in the area and we regularly stayed out late playing, done us no harm tbh.

Though its obviously different in estates, people tend to be alot fcuking nosier in estates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭annabellee77

Agree 100% wth OP.

Even though I also would have been out til late at that age during the summer hols, it's different times now..... What they get up to now and what we got up to then are veeery different things ;) (know this wouldn't apply to every one of them but....)!
    Plus e.g. if we were making a lot of noise and a neighbour came out and told us to shut up - we would! I'd be half afraid to go out and tell kids to quieten down now!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

carlybabe1 wrote: »
    So here I am at 11.45pm watching tv (well I was), my ten & six yr olds in bed fast asleep since 10.00pm, (in off the road since 9.30pm) when the sounds of screeching and laughter come through my open windows. I know the voices, and they're all between the ages of 6 & 11. Out on the road at 11.45pm, no sign of an adult anywhere. This kind of cr*p really boils my piss, I mean SERIOUSLY,is it just me??? Am I out of touch altogether, or is there something very wrong when we let such young kids wander round this late at night without supervision?
    It comes across as the parent/s not giving a f*ck as long as the kids arent indoors annoying them and disrupting the tv shows.
    Am I just an outdated dinosaur, or do you think I have a point?

yes, everyone is a horrible parent but you.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Agree 100% wth OP.

Even though I also would have been out til late at that age during the summer hols, it's different times now..... What they get up to now and what we got up to then are veeery different things ;) (know this wouldn't apply to every one of them but....)!
    Plus e.g. if we were making a lot of noise and a neighbour came out and told us to shut up - we would! I'd be half afraid to go out and tell kids to quieten down now!!

Yeah, 1 in every 2 people are a pedophile these days. And if you turn your back on a child for 10 seconds theres a 98% chance they'll be wearing pajamas and drinking Scrumpy Jack when you look back.

It's a ridiculous world we live in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

Yeah, 1 in every 2 people are a pedophile these days. And if you turn your back on a child for 10 seconds theres a 98% chance they'll be wearing pajamas and drinking Scrumpy Jack when you look back.

Always appropriate.

lol.....I wasn't even thinking of paedophilia or anything like that. That's a whole other conversation. I was referring to what they would get up to themselves rather than what would "happen". Can't control everything.

Just meant that kids get up to more and different things than we did years ago. I mean, it's pretty much accepted that more drink/smoke/do drugs etc earlier than before. They'd be off gallivanting most of the day during the summer, for me they can get their arses in by 10pm!

But it's not something on which a consensus can be reached.... Everyone will have different takes on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,870 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

... gallivanting ....

I haven't heard that word since my ma said it back in the 80s. :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭Theta

lol.....I wasn't even thinking of paedophilia or anything like that. That's a whole other conversation. I was referring to what they would get up to themselves rather than what would "happen". Can't control everything.

Just meant that kids get up to more and different things than we did years ago. I mean, it's pretty much accepted that more drink/smoke/do drugs etc earlier than before. They'd be off gallivanting most of the day during the summer, for me they can get their arses in by 10pm!

But it's not something on which a consensus can be reached.... Everyone will have different takes on it.

But the same could be said by your parents when you were a kid. Is this just the norm as time progresses? I dont mean in 50 years it will be expected that kids will be doing drugs when your not watching them but as time goes on and culture changes so will what children do when unsupervised. Just as things changed between what your parents did when they were kids and what you did when you were kids.

I was always allowed out till dark in summer when is was 11/12 and we always had fun without any harm. I was always expected to tell my parents where i would be and not to wreck the neighbours heads aswell.

irlmarc wrote: »
    But the same could be said by your parents when you were a kid. Is this just the norm as time progresses? I dont mean in 50 years it will be expected that kids will be doing drugs when your not watching them but as time goes on and culture changes so will what children do when unsupervised. Just as things changed between what your parents did when they were kids and what you did when you were kids.

I was always allowed out till dark in summer when is was 11/12 and we always had fun without any harm. I was always expected to tell my parents where i would be and not to wreck the neighbours heads aswell.

I couldn't argue with ya. Like I said a consensus could never be agreed. We'll all just do what we think is right/the best thing to do.....

Though you said 2 important things I highlighted above, the latter of which I think SEEMS to be an issue, or is in the OPs case.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭Theta

I agree but I hate the nanny culture that seems to be working it was into modern day life. I mean when I was a kid I split my head open and cut my arms and legs climbing walls and trees and it was almost expected because i was a kid but today if a child split there head open because they fell off a wall other parents would be calling you a monster for letting your kids out to play and climb a tree. Kids will be kids and freedom will let them grow more then making them live in fear of making a mistake.

irlmarc wrote: »
    I agree but I hate the nanny culture that seems to be working it was into modern day life. I mean when I was a kid I split my head open and cut my arms and legs climbing walls and trees and it was almost expected because i was a kid but today if a child split there head open because they fell off a wall other parents would be calling you a monster for letting your kids out to play and climb a tree. Kids will be kids and freedom will let them grow more then making them live in fear of making a mistake.

With you 100% on this one. There was a funny email doing the rounds a while ago about this, a "growing up in the 80s" thing, and though you'd laugh reading it, it was resounding the element of truth in it!

Think the OP meant (or at least I did when I was posting) was about kids hanging around late at night causing a nuisance/making noise as opposed to off having a childhood/fun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

It's the summer, enough said.

Advertisement