Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

modern day parenting

Options
  • 02-07-2009 11:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭

So here I am at 11.45pm watching tv (well I was), my ten & six yr olds in bed fast asleep since 10.00pm, (in off the road since 9.30pm) when the sounds of screeching and laughter come through my open windows. I know the voices, and they're all between the ages of 6 & 11. Out on the road at 11.45pm, no sign of an adult anywhere. This kind of cr*p really boils my piss, I mean SERIOUSLY,is it just me??? Am I out of touch altogether, or is there something very wrong when we let such young kids wander round this late at night without supervision?
    It comes across as the parent/s not giving a f*ck as long as the kids arent indoors annoying them and disrupting the tv shows.
    Am I just an outdated dinosaur, or do you think I have a point?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Won't be long until there stealing cars, getting pregnant and being taken away in the paddywagons.

God how time flies.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

carlybabe1 wrote: »
    really boils my piss, I mean SERIOUSLY,is it just me???
    Jesus I hope so I'd hate to think something like that was contagious.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

Is it a Roma family?

My mother had an experience with their parenting techniques in the hospital last night :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Maddison

This is something I rant to my partner about regularly...I finish work at 11pm & the amount of tiny kids out sickens me some of them cant be more than 4....:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭SarahMc

Thats not peculiar to modern times though. There has always been neglected children sadly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I mean SERIOUSLY,is it just me??? Am I out of touch altogether... Am I just an outdated dinosaur?
    Yep, it's just you. You're an out-of-touch, out-dated dinosaur. What you're talking about is clearly excellent parenting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Dudess wrote: »
    Yep, it's just you. You're an out-of-touch, out-dated dinosaur. What you're talking about is clearly excellent parenting.

Dinosaurs are extinct Dudess. Your whole post is now suspect.

"....because, as the old saying goes 'Let your children run wild and free'."

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

When I was younger (9-13) we were always out on the road until 10 or 11 at this time of year, until the brightness faded completely, and we were for the most part well brought up, not neglected.

Nothing wrong with it during the summer with no school etc, only other thing to do is run riot inside the house instead, not really fair to shove kids to bed at 10pm during the summer, again I was always allowed up till 11, as I got older into 12-13 maybe 12-1am with no school.

I'm practically nocturnal now though, so maybe t'wasnt the best of ideas :pac:

This kind of cr*p really boils my piss,

I thought toilet threads were banned? :confused::confused::confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

So here I am at 11.45pm watching tv (well I was), my ten & six yr olds in bed fast asleep since 10.00pm, (in off the road since 9.30pm) when the sounds of screeching and laughter come through my open windows. I know the voices, and they're all between the ages of 6 & 11. Out on the road at 11.45pm, no sign of an adult anywhere. This kind of cr*p really boils my piss, I mean SERIOUSLY,is it just me??? Am I out of touch altogether, or is there something very wrong when we let such young kids wander round this late at night without supervision?
    It comes across as the parent/s not giving a f*ck as long as the kids arent indoors annoying them and disrupting the tv shows.

no your not. i agree kids ahouldnt be out that late at night... and it i poor perenting..

I was standing on a very full luis with miss mummy and her 4 yr old and 8 yr old double pramand 3 wheeler (ehich Shouldbe banned) i swear i wanted to strangle her dont do that ule fall dont do that ule hurt ur selves dont do that it might hurt oh youle fall, i felt like grabing her and saying i fell out of trees as a kid i grazed my knee's. i got teath knocked out trying to jump on my skate board I was a kid its the law to feel a bit of pain... bruises and knees.

no I perfectly understand... what you mean but modern day perents wraping them up in cottin woll but putting them to bed at 10 pm is kinda cool :) i remember being sent to bed when it was bright out side id wait for mum to go to bed then go back down and watch young ones with dad :D

no your not. i agree kids ahouldnt be out that late at night... and it i poor perenting..

I was standing on a very full luis with miss mummy and her 4 yr old and 8 yr old double pramand 3 wheeler (ehich Shouldbe banned) i swear i wanted to strangle her dont do that ule fall dont do that ule hurt ur selves dont do that it might hurt oh youle fall, i felt like grabing her and saying i fell out of trees as a kid i grazed my knee's. i got teath knocked out trying to jump on my skate board I was a kid its the law to feel a bit of pain... bruises and knees.

no I perfectly understand... what you mean but modern day perents wraping them up in cottin woll but putting them to bed at 10 pm is kinda cool :) i remember being sent to bed when it was bright out side id wait for mum to go to bed then go back down and watch young ones with dad :D

Did you ever hit your head?

sdonn wrote: »
    When I was younger (9-13) we were always out on the road until 10 or 11 at this time of year, until the brightness faded completely, and we were for the most part well brought up, not neglected.

Nothing wrong with it during the summer with no school etc, only other thing to do is run riot inside the house instead, not really fair to shove kids to bed at 10pm during the summer, again I was always allowed up till 11, as I got older into 12-13 maybe 12-1am with no school.

Same here. Myself and the kids in my neighbourhood used to stay out until 10 or 11, doing kids stuff- playing football, cycling, hide and seek. Summer childhood days are the best of your life, you never want them to end :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭lgoring21

"....because, as the old saying goes 'Let your children run wild and free'."

think theres a song too

'born free...free as the wind blowes':D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

The neighbour's kids are now on holiday and bugging the ****e out of me, asking me to come out and play football or ****in' power rangers ****e. then their mammy comes out shouting for them and i'm left trying to explain why they're down at my place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭carlybabe1

sdonn wrote: »

Eh, It was dark by half ten. I woudlnt mind my kids out late if it was bright, but unfortunately for them, nasty urban myths invade my brain. Two headed monsters called paedophiles exist in my imagination, and though Ive never seen one up close, rumour has it that they are all around us.
    Id rather have my kids think Im the biggest pain in the ass, than have somethin happen to them cause its too warm to have them inside wreckin me melon

Eh, It was dark by half ten. I woudlnt mind my kids out late if it was bright, but unfortunately for them, nasty urban myths invade my brain. Two headed monsters called paedophiles exist in my imagination, and though Ive never seen one up close, rumour has it that they are all around us.
    Id rather have my kids think Im the biggest pain in the ass, than have somethin happen to them cause its too warm to have them inside wreckin me melon

I don't think anybody was calling your parenting skills into question. Jeepers, why are parents so flipping defensive?
    though Ive never seen one up close, rumour has it that they are all around us.

Are...you...uh...what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭This_Years_Love

It's like that in my neighbourhood too. In fact, there's still a group of kids out right now playing in a garden across the road. Their mother works in a pub at night and leaves the eldest (he's about 12 or 13 I think) minding the younger kids (there 5 kids total) so of course the kids are always out until the early hours of the morning. The dad's not around - hasn't been for a few years. it's so irresponible. Get a proper babysitter!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

I don't think anybody was calling your parenting skills into question. Jeepers, why are parents so flipping defensive?

Certainly not, just suggesting that she be a teeny bit more liberal. Then again, I say I was out till 11 ish, most of that last hour was spent being called every 10mins.

As for pedos stealing your kids, fair enough you're worried about them but chances are if they're with 10 other kids they're safe enough. At that age (10-13) they should know how to scream for attention and/or run away and any of this can happen during the daytime just as easily.

Did you ever hit your head?

Are you a Nerd ?

• Advertisement

Are you a Nerd ?

Whatever do you mean?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Won't be long until there stealing cars, getting pregnant and being taken away in the paddywagons.

God how time flies.

They get it up so quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Crazy allowing 9-10 year odls out at these times. They should be in bed by 10 o' clock fo sho.

Whatever do you mean?

have you ever hit your head?

have you ever hit your head?

Oh right. Yes I have.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭bigdaddyliamo

Kids need routine! as fun as it is for them to be running around until midnight they really need to be in the leaba at an appropriate time.

God, I'm sooooo old...!:(

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Apparently people like me and you are the exception, not the norm.

The parents will wonder where it all went wrong in 10 years time but it still will not sink in! AH posters are the typical by product.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Oh right. Yes I have.

Your almost as impressive as ace rimmer

Your almost as impressive as ace rimmer

Oh, thanks. :)

• Advertisement

Oh, thanks. :)

don't let it get to you head.....

Smmmmmmeeeeeeeeegggggggg Hhhheeeeaaaaddddd

Advertisement