Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are you hanging on to because it might be worth something one day?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

TomCo wrote: »
    Signed Ron Jeremy pictures.

He visits Ireland on occasion. Has a friend in NUI Maynooth.
    My friend met him in Las Vegas. Ron asked my friend where he was from. Rather than trying to explain where Leixlip is, my friend just said Dublin. Ron was able to tell my friend that Leixlip is in Kildare.*

I had some E.T. memorabilia, a millenium falcon (still boxed) and an AT-AT walker (still boxed). I haven't seen them in years.
    They're probably in the attic. In 33 years, I've never been up there.

*It was easier than typing his full name every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

Millenium 50p's

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,449 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Britney Spears first album, first draft, signed.

I also have a football signed by all the Irish team from 1990(ish) (cant remember if it was before or after italia '90)

Loads and loads of micromachines. Used though, but still. I have a full city of them. Oh, might take them back out!

AIB Shares....oh wait....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭goldenbrown

right knee and left knee

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Dman001 wrote: »
    Are things worth hanging on to anymore? Things are so mass produced these days that it is hard to imagine that they will become rare and valuable. And with the internet being widely available, is it still worth hanging on to the likes of newspapers from memorable days
    Yep of course they are. I mean things like kids comics were mass produced, yet most were thrown out or fell apart hence you'll have people paying 100,000 for a superman number 1 or whatever. And I would reckon someone said similar back when they first came out. The internet will help it too. ebay will increase customers for all sorts of stuff.

I've a silly amount of crap. :o:D Even as a kid I rarely threw stuff out. It has paid off already. The trick I'd reckon is to go for quality when it's out of fashion. Watches were my thing at one stage. People didn't want mechanical ticking ones back in the 80's. Digital was were it was at. I got ones for 100 odd quid in junk shops that are worth 1000's today. The other thing is stuff that was mass produced but designed to be throwaway, but popular or attached to a cultural event. "Limited" edition stuff I would avoid as most of it isn't limited, it's just marketing.

Then again I think it's better not to collect for future profit or any of that. Just get what you want and like and are interested in.

One area I reckon coud be a good one is the whole high performance family type cars. Things like subaru imprezas, mitzi evos, type R's and such. Not the later bloated ones, the early "pure" ones that defined the brand. Not so long ago they were everywhere and everyone wanted them. They were icons of motoring for a time. Joke's about them being clit cars because every cnut had one. You don't see nearly as many today and it's not that long ago. I reckon if someone bought say three standard not tricked up examples of each and some spares when the market bottoms out and stuck them in a barn for 20 years they'd get a bloody good return on their money.

Oh yea I have an original Star Wars cinema foyer not for resale, please destroy after film run written on it poster.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭Trinity

A Bottler (brendan grace) signed album :p

I never keep anything, i give everything away i hate clutter!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Small R2D2 toy still in box - signed by Kenny Baker.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭bookerboy

EIRCOM SHARES.Yes i was one of the million suckers conned by Mary o Rourke and our wonderfull government.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭Wazdakka

My faith in Ireland as a well run and prosperous country..

It's worth next to nothing these days tho,
    I should have sold it about three years ago when it at least had a false face value.

I guess it's one of those things that you hang on to in the hope that one day it'll be worth what we all hoped...
    But it never is.

Like an original sealed darth vader figure... But with Brian Cowens head on it :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,869 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I have an Arsenal Jersey signed by the Invincible team of 2003/2004

I've a few coins (30+) from the 1890s that might be worth something someday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭Lockstep

First edition Harry Potter books.

Declan Ganley gave me a copy of his book, I was holding onto it in the hope that it'd be worth a few bob when he'd staged a coup. Selfish bastard just bowed out when he didn't get in.:mad: Now I'm stuck with a poorly written and shoddy book.

A few original copies of stuff by Burke (I really don't know how we have them)

Copy of a U2 flyer from when they played Galway in the 70s.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭grundie

A pile of 1970s-era Agfa Magnetonband reel to reel cartridges still in their original cellophane seals.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

A Nirvana ticket for the RDS dated the day Kurt Cobain was found dead. I was young at the time and my mom wasn't gonna let me go to a concert so after his death I went up to the local music shop and bought me a ticket, being the die hard fan that I was, the other good thing being that I knew it'd be worth something in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭Theta

Stee wrote: »
    My grandad gave me an old coin he got in the war (WWII) called a 'Double Eagle' from 1933. Apparently there was a lot of fuss over it in the 30s and when they were looking through a ransacked house belonging to an Israeli diplomat he found it. Must take it somewhere to get it valued actually.

I have 3 ;)
    In the summer of 2002, a 1933 Double Eagle was auctioned off for $7,590,020 US,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭WithCheesePlease

A Nirvana ticket for the RDS dated the day Kurt Cobain was found dead. I was young at the time and my mom wasn't gonna let me go to a concert so after his death I went up to the local music shop and bought me a ticket, being the die hard fan that I was, the other good thing being that I knew it'd be worth something in time.

I was stupid enough to return my ticket. Bought myself a pair of ox blood doc boots with the refund money. Seemed like a good idea at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

My Amstrad CPC 464 which Santa got me in Xmas 1988...:D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amstrad_CPC

Plus my 150 BOI Shares and 50 Anglo Shares which cost me €2000 2 years ago..

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭smithcity

I've got a bunch of Jurassic Park 2 Hologram things for sticking on your schoolbag, and big Brass coins with dinosaurs on them that were given away with Kelloggs packs when the movie came out. One day someones gonna express a sincere desire to own these old... things and offer me cash money. Sweet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭Theta

My Amstrad CPC 464 which Santa got me in Xmas 1988...:D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amstrad_CPC

Plus my 150 BOI Shares and 50 Anglo Shares which cost me €2000 2 years ago..

I have a cpc too its the 128 model (CPC 6128) with the 3 inch not floppy disk drive. Ah yes you have a choice of green or dark green on the screen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Pop's Diner

My house.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

irlmarc wrote: »
    I have a cpc too its the 128 model with the 3 inch not floppy disk drive. Ah yes you have a choice of green or dark green on the screen.

Ah yes my buddy had one of those.

We had this scam going whereby he could copy all his games from disk to cassette so I could use them and he could use my cassettes on his 128..he had adapted one of the serial ports...jayzus we were only 10 yrs old!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭LouOB

Signed Take That poster with Robbie in it!!
    Scrap book on Take That memorbilia
    Metro newspaper saying Michael Jackson is dead
    Old mini-disk and walkman with disks and tapes
    Old concert tickets
    Some old books
    Couple of paintings - proper stuff (one day, maybe, one day)
    My parents have some good stuff - an unopened limited edition 'Dangerous' album
    1920's doll from my grandmother
    A nice mirror
    Sorry - forgot about the bunch of coins
    Also got a commerative plate of all Irish coins

My mother has 3pence pieces (no mess)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Saint_Mel wrote: »
    Millenium 50p's

i have 2 or 3 of the millenium £1 coins that were made with the viking boat on it. each one is boxed and comes with a little cert/note in it.

i guess there only worth €1.27 each :D

like these

but boxed and never opened!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

Stee wrote: »
    My grandad gave me an old coin he got in the war (WWII) called a 'Double Eagle' from 1933. Apparently there was a lot of fuss over it in the 30s and when they were looking through a ransacked house belonging to an Israeli diplomat he found it. Must take it somewhere to get it valued actually.

Israeli diplomat from 1933 ??

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭smithcity

Those damn Israeli Diplomats, no regard for the time space continuum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭InkSlinger67

Dublin 1988 Millenium glass milk bottle, its kinda disgusting now at this stage - green and sticky and is home to a lot of multi-legged creatures, some of which are regulars on AH

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Completed premier league sticker books and a tonne of "monsters in my pocket"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭Ciaran B

Millenium milk bottles. I should probably use it as a vase or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭trustno1

A ton of Madonna shi*te - from posters to shaped, interview and picture discs (a lot of them very rare) and a copy of her SEX book (raging I didn't buy two and not open the second one!!) and old 80's stuff i.e. E.T., Star Wars, Raiders of the Lost Ark etc..

Had a rare Michael Jackson singles pack.. lent it to someone who totally wrecked it.. D'oh!!..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

I have an original 1968 European Cup final programme. Manchester United and Benfica which United won 4-1.

Doubt it'll be worth much, but i like it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

I have an original 1968 European Cup final programme. Manchester United and Benfica which United won 4-1.

Doubt it'll be worth much, but i like it.

I'll give ya €2.50?

Advertisement