Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tubridy this morning

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Im gonna go see some stand up comedy this week and watch as teh police storm in and arrest all the blasphemous comedians.
    I wonder could the audience be done for inciting blasphemy by laughing at blasphemous jokes and therefore encouraging it?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,192 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Honestly though, i cant see this law being enforced really.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

Galvasean wrote: »
    Im gonna go see some stand up comedy this week and watch as teh police storm in and arrest all the blasphemous comedians.
    I wonder could the audience be done for inciting blasphemy by laughing at blasphemous jokes and therefore encouraging it?

i've got a stand up comedy gig this week....

*runs off to write some blasphemous material*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭Shane_C

I hate hearing outspoken Irish athiests (and to a lesser extent agnostic people) being interviewed. As usual the panellists went about things all the wrong way.

Firstly: even though it was mentioned, the interview did not get across the point "that we don't know", favouring a point of "you don't know".
    Secondly: Nugent talked about his three gods. He never talked about the most important one - the creator (pre big bang). Conveniently a lot of athiests stay quiet about that one.
    Thirdly: Who are they trying to convince with phrases like "imaginary", "invent" and "superman". Know your audience!!

I'd like to add, I'm an agnostic, borderline athiest and neither of these men speak for me. Their "holier than thou" attitudes reminded me of everything I hate about religion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

er the creator shane?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

Shane_C wrote: »
    I hate hearing outspoken Irish athiests (and to a lesser extent agnostic people) being interviewed. As usual the panellists went about things all the wrong way.

Firstly: even though it was mentioned, the interview did not get across the point "that we don't know", favouring a point of "you don't know".
    Secondly: Nugent talked about his three gods. He never talked about the most important one - the creator (pre big bang). Conveniently a lot of athiests stay quiet about that one.
    Thirdly: Who are they trying to convince with phrases like "imaginary", "invent" and "superman". Know your audience!!

I'd like to add, I'm an agnostic, borderline athiest and neither of these men speak for me. Their "holier than thou" attitudes reminded me of everything I hate about religion.

We-don't-know-ism, you mean?

All hail the great Something, may He or She or It smile upon us, assuming He or She or It has Teeth.

er the creator shane?

yep, that infinite chicken/egg loop of what came before before.
    What do you "believe" happened?
    We-don't-know-ism, you mean?

Yeah I think so :confused:, what's the difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

What do you "believe" happened?

:pac:

Fish and reptiles laid eggs long before the first chickens. Case closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

Yeah I think so :confused:, what's the difference?

Just not sure how saying 'we don't know' can be equated with a religion.

That said, first-thing-in-the-morning posting - I may have misunderstood you.

That said, your idea of a 'creator' is another instance of 'we don't know'. There's no point putting in some sort of placeholder god until we've figured it out. So that's why some atheists stay quiet on the subject. Though I think quite a lot of atheists are trying to figure out what came 'before' the universe as well.

• Advertisement

Just not sure how saying 'we don't know' can be equated with a religion.

It's not, it is equated with and is a fundamental point of atheism.
    And these guys skipped around the point implying we do.

That said, your idea of a 'creator' is another instance of 'we don't know'. There's no point putting in some sort of placeholder god until we've figured it out. So that's why some atheists stay quiet on the subject.

Exactly!!!
    And creator is a far more liberal term than placeholder god.
    Creator in the loosest sense: from intelligent design to a simple catalyst.

:pac:

What does this mean?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭sweatingbullets

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭fitz0

And creator is a far more liberal term than placeholder god.
    Creator in the loosest sense: from intelligent design to a simple catalyst.

Creator implies an intelligence behind it. Sounds a bit like a deistic god to me. Just becaus eits a "more liberal term" doesn't mean that it implies something else.

agnostic, borderline atheist, shane???

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

tubirdy is a [...]
    If you hadn't edited your post to make it more personally offensive, you may well not have been carded.

Next time = forum ban.

fitz0 wrote: »
    Creator implies an intelligence behind it. Sounds a bit like a deistic god to me. Just becaus eits a "more liberal term" doesn't mean that it implies something else.

Depends on which dictionary you consult. I didn't imply anything and let the word meaning do the work. (although often the word meaning contains the word person which is pretty dumb)

The thread, anyway, is not about my views (and I haven't actually put anything forward) but about the interview technique and the general calibre of atheist spokesperson you see or hear on the radio.

Depends on which dictionary you consult. I didn't imply anything and let the word meaning do the work. (although often the word meaning contains the word person which is pretty dumb)

How about exchange 'creator' with 'catalyst'? A catalyst could be a creator, or perhaps not...

Sort of, but a catalyst accelerates a reaction rather than causes or makes anything

you did put forward views shane you suggested the guys were speaking out of turn, being holier then thou and then you started about creators and catlysts belief etc.

Sort of, but a catalyst accelerates a reaction rather than causes or makes anything

Okay, how about an 'instigation mechanism'?

• Advertisement

you did put forward views shane you suggested the guys were speaking out of turn, being holier then thou and then you started about creators and catlysts belief etc.

OK, you got me there, I suppose I should have said:
    "The thread (or post), anyway, is not about my views" on atheism/religion but rather my views on atheists/religious people.
    I said that something somewhere created something else before the the birth of our universe, which i thought wasn't worth arguing about.

Galvasean wrote: »
    Okay, how about an 'instigation mechanism'?
    Yeah I suppose that would work

Advertisement