Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tubridy this morning

Options
  • 01-07-2009 8:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭

Hey folks,

I'm sure some of ye will be interested in this

http://www.rte.ie/radio1/thetubridyshow/1285670.html

This morning Tubridy had Owen McGowen (?) and Michael Nugent on the show and spent a good while (20 mins I think) talking about atheism, religion, etc.

I only caught the end of it this morning, but I'm listening to it all now

Worth a listen :) Ya don't get much of this on RTÉ !

enjoy

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,200 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

what time do they start talkin? they're on about the moon now.

when you are the moon everybody thinks you got yellow teeth cause you got a big white creamy face!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

My bad

36mins in

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,200 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Tubridy doesnt sound convinced.

I find it amusing how he couldn't understand how nugent could say he firmly believes there is no god but also admit he could be wrong.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

I'm not installing realplayer to listen to that twat.

Good post, thanks !

• Advertisement

5uspect wrote: »
    I'm not installing realplayer to listen to that twat.

So you were willing to listen to it until you saw it used realplayer? Do you have more a problem with tubridy or realplayer? I demand clarification! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Mickeroo wrote: »
    So you were willing to listen to it until you saw it used realplayer? Do you have more a problem with tubridy or realplayer? I demand clarification! :pac:

Tread carefully 5uspect, I sense something about this one. The unmistakable scent of a fanboi...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

You lost me at "Tubridy this morning" ...

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

fanboi you say?

Sure I'll give Tubridy a chance, I may even watch the Late Late Show.
    Just as I'll give the teachings of Jesus a chance, sure it's all peace and love anyway.

But if you ask me to install a sh!tty media player like Realplayer on my shiny new PC you may as well ask me too accept Jesus as my Lord and personal saviour.

Everyone knows that RealPlayer is the cause of all the problems in the world. Hitler used RealPlayer and installed it on Stalin's Mac.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

fanboi you say?

Sure I'll give Tubridy a chance, I may even watch the Late Late Show.
    Just as I'll give the teachings of Jesus a chance, sure it's all peace and love anyway.

But if you ask me to install a sh!tty media player like Realplayer on my shiny new PC you may as well ask me too accept Jesus as my Lord and personal saviour.

Everyone knows that RealPlayer is the cause of all the problems in the world. Hitler used RealPlayer and installed it on Stalin's Mac.

And then uploaded the Kaiser Cheifs onto it & set it on endless repeat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Goduznt Xzst

Don't think I'll be listening to it. Like 5uspect, I lost faith (zing!!!) in Real Player a looooooong time ago. Tried it again recently at the behest of a work colleague and it proceeded to crash my pc.... it was a flashback to 1999

Also, I'm pretty sure this will summarise Turbridys contribution to the discussion.

I'd rather chop off my own foot than install RealPlayer... That's why I use this:

http://www.codecguide.com/about_real.htm

It lets you listen to Real audio and video through Windows Media Player.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

I'd rather chop off my own foot than install RealPlayer... That's why I use [...]
    OK, off topic, but personally, I'd recommend that anybody with multimedia woe -- which I'd say is most of us -- should install the "K-Lite Codec Pack", available from here:

http://www.free-codecs.com/K_lite_codec_pack_download.htm

...which will play not only all the normal media formats, but the closed RealMedia formats (courtesy, as above, of jammydodger's suggestion of Real Alternative), and most of the closed Apple formats too without needing to install the malicious wankware that comes from Real and Apple.

The "Full" edition of K-Lite comes with an app confusingly named "Media Player Classic" which is an open-sourced media player a bit like the old Windows media player except that (a) it works pretty reliably and (b) doesn't come with sixty-eight tons of luminous, cringe-inducing, day-glo eye-candy.

This advice is worth a lot more than $.02.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

It's released as a podcast - I'll wait for iTunes to download it.

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭pts

I found it pretty good. I think the interviewees spoke well and logically (could be confirmation bias on my part though :)) and Tubridy didn't seem convinced, but he was fair. However I don't think Tubridy could come out as an Atheist any day soon even if he wanted to, if he did he'd probably loose a large portion of his audience.

robindch wrote: »
    OK, off topic, but personally, I'd recommend that anybody with multimedia woe -- which I'd say is most of us -- should install the "K-Lite Codec Pack", available from here:

http://www.free-codecs.com/K_lite_codec_pack_download.htm

...which will play not only all the normal media formats, but the closed RealMedia formats (courtesy, as above, of jammydodger's suggestion of Real Alternative), and most of the closed Apple formats too without needing to install the malicious wankware that comes from Real and Apple.

The "Full" edition of K-Lite comes with an app confusingly named "Media Player Classic" which is an open-sourced media player a bit like the old Windows media player except that (a) it works pretty reliably and (b) doesn't come with sixty-eight tons of luminous, cringe-inducing, day-glo eye-candy.

This advice is worth a lot more than $.02.
    Off topic posting, I'm reporting your post to the relevant authorities

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Dave! wrote: »
    Off topic posting, I'm reporting your post to the relevant authorities
    Don't worry -- I'll have a stiff word with myself!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

robindch wrote: »
    Don't worry -- I'll have a stiff word with myself!
    And ten Hail Mary's. :D

I have RealPlayer (hey, I work in Streaming Media) so I had a listen.

Quite good actually. The two lads seemed affable enough, and Tubridy let them talk away. He completely avoided nailing his colours to the mast of course, whether to maintain his fluffy public persona, or whether he's an actual catholic, I don't know.

The interview probably lacked a bit of bite, not having an opposing voice there, but it wasn't annoying to listen to for the same reason.

Also happy to hear someone backing up the idea that atheism and agnosticism mean different things and aren't mutually exclusive.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,972 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

Dades wrote: »
    Quite good actually. The two lads seemed affable enough, and Tubridy let them talk away. He completely avoided nailing his colours to the mast of course, whether to maintain his fluffy public persona, or whether he's an actual catholic, I don't know.
    Tubridy really annoys me. His emotions are too contrived. He's like a guy who works on his fake laugh. He'll never show shock / horror / elation or any sort of emotion that deviates much from cardboard normality.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Not a big of Tubridy either, tbh.

Will give him a chance to prove his mettle on the new Late Late, though. If he turns it into Tubridy Tonight I'm gone. His interviews on that show were, well, beige.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,972 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

Will give him a chance to prove his mettle on the new Late Late, though. If he turns it into Tubridy Tonight I'm gone. His interviews on that show were, well, beige.

He never goes deep and always has his fake smile and laugh on cue.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭stevejazzx

He's got no mettle and he is more transparent then beige...a diastrous choice for Late Late..Gay Byrne must be turning in his freshly dug grave..he's not dead - just trying it out!

Oh he's starting on the macs now! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,845 ✭✭✭2Scoops

Didn't Tubridy say he was an atheist early in the spot? Or am I just confused because all their accents sounded the same?

Apparently the blasphemy bill was passed and the fine was reduced to 25,000??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Apparently the blasphemy bill was passed and the fine was reduced to 25,000??
    Yeah, as far as I can see at least.
    I'm not up on my constitutional law but there might be hope if McAleese gets her hands on it and sends it back for review, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

So who wants to be the first to get fined? We should raise €50,000 as a prize for the first person to meet the full fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

So who wants to be the first to get fined? We should raise €50,000 as a prize for the first person to meet the full fine.
    Hey, if the "winner" gets 25k over and above the actual fine, I think we'll have a rather long list of applicants!

I'm not sure what one could do to actually get prosecuted though. I mean, "Priests sodomise little children!" a few years ago would have generated outrage, now though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭TheManWho

So now people can get fined for blasphemy. By right should there not also be some kind of anti-blasphemy bill whereby a religious person say's something so rediculously stupid and illogical that they themselves get fined. It's only fair.

• Advertisement

Nevore wrote: »
    Hey, if the "winner" gets 25k over and above the actual fine, I think we'll have a rather long list of applicants!

I'm not sure what one could do to actually get prosecuted though. I mean, "Priests sodomise little children!" a few years ago would have generated outrage, now though?

I can think of a certain Cradle of Filth tishirt that might do the trick ;)

Advertisement