Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heavy Rain brings flood risk for East, Midlands and South on Thursday

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Pretty much missed it all here, was woken up at 6am by one hell of a bang of thunder and that was the start and finish of it for here, just rain then.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Not a drop here all day but there is no sunshine neither :(

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Isaac702

Well I was up for most of the night due to the thunder. I got to sleep at about 5. Woke up to find out that the basement had flooded overnight. Luckily it wasn't that serious, Only about 2-3cm of water.

Supposedly it is going to be worse tonight. Hopefully the weather front approaching will move off as I am not in the mood for this again.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,719 ✭✭✭squonk

I snoozed through it. I had to take off work yesterday because I was sick. Normally a bhang of thunder has me out of the bed and straight to the window to check out the lightening but I just snoozed las tnight. Every now and again I'd get woken up and then hear a few more bangs of thunder and fall asleep, only realising how long I'd been out when I checked the watch the next time I heard a rumble. Pity!

Looking at the radar and the trajectory-It looks like the rain train is locking and reloading and has Dublin in it's sights for most of the day.
    There will be dryer interludes but more rain and heavy rain and possibly more thunder right up to evening and beyond.

Wicklow and wexford may escape though as the bulk of the rain looks like taking a sea path before landfall north of greystones for the heaviest of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭stooge

Looking at the radar and the trajectory-It looks like the rain train is locking and reloading and has Dublin in it's sights for most of the day.
    There will be dryer interludes but more rain and heavy rain and possibly more thunder right up to evening and beyond.

Wicklow and wexford may escape though as the bulk of the rain looks like taking a sea path before landfall north of greystones for the heaviest of it.

any chance of a quick pic BB?

• Registered Users Posts: 29 D7

Just heard about the rains and have looked at RTE's website not many photos.......... does anyone have anymore ??
    :confused:

I presume you mean a quick pic of the radar ?

It's all freely available on met.ie actually-just click on the radar image and then click on run as an animation and you will see where the feed is coming on the rain train and it's trajectory.

For an outer view run the animation on the UKMO site via the play button :

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/radar/

Or use www.raintoday.co.uk which loads up as an animation on a google map.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭stooge

I presume you mean a quick pic of the radar ?

It's all freely available on met.ie actually-just click on the radar image and then click on run as an animation and you will see where the feed is coming on the rain train and it's trajectory.

For an outer view run the animation on the UKMO site via the play button :

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/radar/

Or use www.raintoday.co.uk which loads up as an animation on a google map.

cheers for that!

I was on met.ie but couldn't figure out where the animated map was! The one on the metoffice is very useful too.

I'm hoping for a repeat of 4am this morning, must remember to disconnect the phone/bb line beforehand though!

p.s. Well done to Darkman on the original warning.

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭burger1979

all of this seems to be happening in dublin, did anyone see or hear anything in navan or close by? i didnt hear a thing last night not even the rain and we had the toilet window open too for fresh air. damn i miss thunder and lighting and seeing shows like that. had a look at the rain chart and it looks like the rain is going to come later on in the afternoon again. we could be all swimming home!!!!!

• Advertisement

It's been raining down here again for the last half hour.
    I'm not too sure we'll have a repeat of the 4am Dublin thunder again tonight [it was 2am to 5am down here by the way] as the stalled front is making it's way very slowly NE meaning the pulses will shortly be confined to within a few miles of the coast and tonight gone into Britain.

Behind are showers and if it's thunder you are looking for,the tables turn imho as west will be best.
    Wouldnt rule it out anywhere though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 761 ✭✭✭dedon

How the hell did Met Eireann miss this.??? No mention of such extremes on the 9 o clock weather. All they said was "heavy showers" pushing in from the south.

What a joke they are. Is it the unskilled civil service employees or are their computers too old.

Sky News managed to forecast it. But our national weather office cant.

What a shambles!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

burger1979 wrote: »
    all of this seems to be happening in dublin, did anyone see or hear anything in navan or close by? i didnt hear a thing last night not even the rain and we had the toilet window open too for fresh air. damn i miss thunder and lighting and seeing shows like that. had a look at the rain chart and it looks like the rain is going to come later on in the afternoon again. we could be all swimming home!!!!!

Pretty bad in Ashbourne from about 4.45am till 5.30ish. Thunder was so bad at one stage, it set off some house/car alarms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 pfk-0p

dedon wrote: »
    How the hell did Met Eireann miss this.??? No mention of such extremes on the 9 o clock weather. All they said was "heavy showers" pushing in from the south.

What a joke they are. Is it the unskilled civil service employees or are their computers too old.

Sky News managed to forecast it. But our national weather office cant.

What a shambles!!!

i know, i saw the weather as well, just heavy showers with the possibility of thunder, and as you said on sky the woman was saying from yesterday afternoon that there would be thunderstorms, i think they're all asleep at met eireann.they issued a warning for heavy rain at 9PM, far too late and didn't forecast the severe thunderstorms that sky did. met eireann have just gotten worse with time. i know forecasting isn't an exact sicence but on so many occasions recently they've been completely wrong in their forecasting even at a few hours out

anyway how much more rain/thunderstorms are likely today?

I know they are a disgrace. Thats civil servants for you. The fact that a UK news channel can forecast better that us is a disgrace

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭thomasj

dedon wrote: »
    I know they are a disgrace. Thats civil servants for you. The fact that a UK news channel can forecast better that us is a disgrace

guys the weather warning was issued at 21:00hrs last night by eireann why it wasnt on RTE last night is anyones guess!
    Issued at 01 July 2009 - 21:00
    Rain warning
    Rain extending northwards across many parts of the country Wednesday night and Thursday will turn heavy or thundery in places, with a possibility of severe downpours and of localised flooding (Leinster and east Munster most at risk). It will then clear away northeastwards again during the day.
    Warning valid from 02:00 to 16:00 Thursday 2/7/2009

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭burger1979

mick_irl wrote: »
    Pretty bad in Ashbourne from about 4.45am till 5.30ish. Thunder was so bad at one stage, it set off some house/car alarms.

no didnt hear a thing seriously not a dickybird. i dont know whether to be disappointed or worried.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭diegowhite

anyone can tell me where the biggest floods are that still remain in the city? I've an itching for some wakeskating on them :)

• Registered Users Posts: 29 D7

Looks like everyones insurance premiums will be going up again on the basis that there will be so many claims due to everyone note being warned by RTE/Met Office.

Any excuse for Premiums going up and up and up and up............Licence to Print Money.

Does anyone know if there are photos on Boards.ie or Flickr ??????

Any Canoes on Cabra Road ?
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Kippure

D7 wrote: »
    Looks like everyones insurance premiums will be going up again on the basis that there will be so many claims due to everyone note being warned by RTE/Met Office.

Any excuse for Premiums going up and up and up and up............Licence to Print Money.

Does anyone know if there are photos on Boards.ie or Flickr ??????

Any Canoes on Cabra Road ?
    :D

The irish met did give out a very detailed warning.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I just watched the RTE news report, it ended with the reporter relaying the Met Dept thoughts on further very heavy rain this week - "inconceivable" was the word! :eek:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,466 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

mike65 wrote: »
    I just watched the RTE news report, it ended with the reporter relaying the Met Dept thoughts on further very heavy rain this week - "inconceivable" was the word! :eek:

Yes, I was astonished to hear that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I'll be watching the forecast in a few mins, can't wait.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

I checked numerous websites last night with weather information for the Republic%2

Kippure wrote: »
    The irish met did give out a very detailed warning.

They didnt on the TV one anyway!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

I checked numerous websites last night with weather information for the Republic and not one had any warning or even a hint of just how bad it did get last night at times. The worst example of this was TV3 weather after the Vincient Brown show....anyone see that? I don't watch it normally but it was the last TV forcast of the evening and nowhere else had any warning whatsoever. But it was a complete joke.....if you actually saw it you would know what I mean.

Boards was the only website yesterday evening at the time this thread was posted that had anything about the extent of the rainfall that would effect the East and the storms aswell that occured (and the commentary was quite good aswell and is always useful from BB, MT etc and the rest:)). Met.ie issuing a warning for an event only 5 hours away at 9pm and failing to show it on the tv broadcasts was just incompetent in my own opinion. Last night could have been worse....luckilly, except for the unlucky few in Dublin, we just got away with traffic chaos this morning.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

House blown apart by lightning this afternoon, in Connnemara .

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,466 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    House blown apart by lightning this afternoon, in Connnemara .

My goodness, hopefully no one was injured?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Wella

darkman2 wrote: »

Boards was the only website yesterday evening at the time this thread was posted that had anything about the extent of the rainfall that would effect the East and the storms aswell that occured (and the commentary was quite good aswell and is always useful from BB, MT etc and the rest:)). Met.ie issuing a warning for an event only 5 hours away at 9pm and failing to show it on the tv broadcasts was just incompetent in my own opinion. Last night could have been worse....luckilly, except for the unlucky few in Dublin, we just got away with traffic chaos this morning.

Couldn't agree more

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

To be pedantic for a sec - it's Met Éireann for the Irish Meteorological folk, and Met Office in the UK. Nothing short of plain wrong to mix those up, keep the cúpla focail going too.

More on topic - there was a warning issued alright but it wasn't exactly comprehensive and came a lot later than Darkman's. The reason is that Met Éireann seem to be somewhere between unwilling to speculate and downright slow. As has been said, their warning didn't even get onto an RTÉ broadcast. There's no better way to show large audiences the forecasts that appear here other than maybe announcing it.

To that end, maybe the admins would consider announcing a topic where there is consensus from a few sources (a good few people here are a dab hand at reading the models and forecasting quite accurately) that extreme weather is approaching? With an audience of 179,000 regsitered and generally 3,000 odd at any one time viewing as guests, a sitewide warning would probably get to many, many more people.

Short of phoning RTÉ, that is. :pac:

Advertisement