Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Finest Restaurant in Cork?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Connie-Kal

In Bandon - the Ploughman's pub (Clonakilty road) - great food but not sure of opening times.

Cafe Paradiso veggie restaurant is great also.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭hatetherain!

Agree Milano's is worse than Luigi's!

Best Restaurant in Cork and I'd go so far as to say Ireland is definately les Gourmandises.

Its really relaxed there with a lovely atmosphere. Food is fab every time! Ate there again last thursday they doing a special Market Menu E25 per person great value and good to see them reacting to the present economic situation.

Spoke to the lovely french lady (Think she the owner) and she told me that the chef gets a load of his food in the English market and goes and pick out his meat himself!:)

www.lesgourmandises.ie

Actually just read the web site! She is the owner and her husband is the chef!!!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭104494431

JSK 252 wrote: »
    Currans Restaurant I always thought was good.

http://www.curranscork.com/

The service in Currans is and always has been beyond bad. Easily the worst restaurant in the city for service, in my opinion.
    Mumha wrote: »
    I'm surprised no one has mentioned Restaurante Rossini on Princes Street. Without doubt it is the best Italian restaurant in Cork, at least.

I would say that Casanova on North Main Street is the best Italian restaurant in the city. I was very disappointed with Rossini's on each of the three occasions I ate there.
    probe wrote: »
    Even a cup of coffee in a cafe tends to default to a mega 40cl mug of weak, poor quality (invariably Robusta) coffee, rather than a small quantity of Arabica coffee. Even if one expressly "screams" for an expresso, the usual retort is "double or single".

In my experience it is nearly always Robusta coffee that makes the best espresso. I'll agree with the remark about oversized, watered down coffee being served. Most places don't need to have any special gadgetry to make good coffee but reading a few websites or magazines to ensure you're doing it right can't hurt either.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭mickol

Obviously if your not familiar with the area stick to the greater City area but if you are familiar then BLAIR'S INN in Cloghroe outside Blarney is absolutely fantastic for food quality in a pleasant old world surrounding

http://www.blairsinn.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭BurnsCarpenter

I actually really like Milano's for a casual pizza.

My faves would be Cafe Paradiso, Flemings, Ivory Tower.
    Haven't tried Les Gourmandies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Okay, I was cajoled into dining at Luigi Malone's again last night and again, it was foul. Cheap goopy dross that is priced exorbitantly.

I like Market Lane now more than Gambieni's, which is not as nice as it used to be; it's still quite good though, and seems to have reduced its prices somewhat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Market Lane is consistantly good, has plenty of room, isn't over-priced.

Augustines would have been my special occasion place, but when I was walking past it at the weekend I noticed it's closed? A big For Sale sign up and all the furniture missing.

Anyone know if it's relocating or bust?

Ps
    Rest of my fav's would be Les Gourmandises, Cafe Paradiso, Greenes.

Blairs Inn, The Thady Inn are great just outside of Cork city.

Milanos is run by Pizza Express is it? Luigi's is dire in my opinion, greasy revolting food, served in massive revolting portions. Another chain. Bleurg.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

pwurple wrote: »
    Anyone know if it's relocating or bust?

I heard it's relocated but I've not been able to find it since. I fear the worst!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭glanman

Furet wrote: »
    Okay, I was cajoled into dining at Luigi Malone's again last night and again, it was foul. Cheap goopy dross that is priced exorbitantly.

I like Market Lane now more than Gambieni's, which is not as nice as it used to be; it's still quite good though, and seems to have reduced its prices somewhat.

"Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

deRanged wrote: »
    I heard it's relocated but I've not been able to find it since. I fear the worst!

Their website is not working either:

http://www.augustines.ie/

And to the person that puts Scoozis in the good restaurant category, my God! They microwave pre-prepared food! How can that make it a good restaurant.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭soundsham

mickol wrote: »
    Obviously if your not familiar with the area stick to the greater City area but if you are familiar then BLAIR'S INN in Cloghroe outside Blarney is absolutely fantastic for food quality in a pleasant old world surrounding

http://www.blairsinn.ie

also known as a pub.........lol
    nice food though,always worth a trip

If you really want to blow your mind otto's in dunworely if it's still there(been a few years)

go and stay there bring your own wine and have a lovely breakfast too the next morning

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭mimihops

otto has retired, just to let you know, so the restaurant in dunworley is no more i'm afraid.

i really hope augustines is actually just relocating...it was a lovely restaurant, definitely my favourite in the city centre anyway. does anyone know anything about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭EddyC15

Market Lane on Oliver Plunkett St. is great. Went there recently with the girlfriend. Lovely meal. Their mashed potato is outstanding.

I went to Jacob's a few years ago with my family after my leaving cert. I have no complaints about the place. I remember that our waiter was dead on. Chatting away to me about results and stuff. The food was superb.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Bill-e

Panda Mommas was great for lunch today. Very fast service. Almost too fast...
    But I was very happy with the top quality interior, food and price.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,424 ✭✭✭440Hz

Bill-e wrote: »
    Panda Mommas

Where is that?

I love this thread! Making me hungry now. I need to find people who like going out for dinner :( My friends don't see the point in it hhmmmmm!!

We should have a boardsies dinner out :)

440Hz wrote: »
    Where is that?
    down by parnell place. lovely restaurant.
    I love this thread! Making me hungry now. I need to find people who like going out for dinner :( My friends don't see the point in it hhmmmmm!!
    foolish people. eating out rocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭Miaireland

I love Eco in Douglas. The Crawford Gallery is nice fpr lunch. So is that place next to Meadow and Burns. Greens is good and so is Jacques in my experience. (although I have heard poor reviews from others). I enjoyed Fenns Quay.

I also enjoy the Thia place by the side of Debenhams (the Duck Soup thing) and also the Thia place in the Clarion.

I have had some lovely lunches in the lobby of the Kingsley overlooking the Lee.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Bill-e

Where is that?
    Yeah it's like right across the road from the sex shop... Bit unfortunate to be located there but once you get inside you'd not know where you were.
    It's great if you are eating on lunch break in town cause you can eat and be out of there well under an hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,424 ✭✭✭440Hz

Bill-e wrote: »
    Yeah it's like right across the road from the sex shop...

<insert puzzled lost look>
    deRanged wrote: »
    down by parnell place. lovely restaurant.

ahhh ok :rolleyes:

hehe

• Advertisement

<insert puzzled lost look>

ahhh ok :rolleyes:

hehe

lol.

friend of mine used to work there. not the restaurant.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

I had to go in there on a couple of occasions for something work-related. Not the restaurant. Not pleasant.

As for Panda Mama, I like it but it is certainly not great food, by no means a fine restaurant. It is a cheap Chinese slop, in a cheaply decorated warehouse, which suits me fine as it happens. Great value for lunch, extremely fast service and seems to be doing well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Flipper

Agree Milano's is worse than Luigi's!

Best Restaurant in Cork and I'd go so far as to say Ireland is definately les Gourmandises.

Its really relaxed there with a lovely atmosphere. Food is fab every time! Ate there again last thursday they doing a special Market Menu E25 per person great value and good to see them reacting to the present economic situation.

Spoke to the lovely french lady (Think she the owner) and she told me that the chef gets a load of his food in the English market and goes and pick out his meat himself!:)

www.lesgourmandises.ie
    Ate here last night and I have to say, it is outstanding.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

Flipper wrote: »
    Ate here last night and I have to say, it is outstanding.

Tom Doorley would disagree, gave Les Gourmandises a pretty savage review in the Irish Times on Saturday.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/magazine/2009/1010/1224255949939.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭suppafly

Eco in douglas is a very good restaurant. Very good selection of food and very good prices. Have been consistently good for years. The place is always packed everynight. Went out there again tonight for my sister birthday.

evilivor wrote: »
    Tom Doorley would disagree, gave Les Gourmandises a pretty savage review in the Irish Times on Saturday.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/magazine/2009/1010/1224255949939.html

In my opinion that review was soooo wrong!

Its unfair on Les Gourmandises, I will still go there though as I love the place:)

Anyone been to the silk purse, its the restaurant where the lobby was, and cruibin now or something.... Cool photo on the back of the Kerry examiner yday promoting its visiting chef...

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Max001

glanman wrote: »
    Anyone been to the silk purse, its the restaurant where the lobby was, and cruibin now or something.... Cool photo on the back of the Kerry examiner yday promoting its visiting chef...

Yeh Glanman, I've been a few times for lunch and dinner. Best thing I can tell ya is just go and enjoy. Its head and shoulders above nearly all the other restaurants in the town is my ten cents. My reviews on tripadvisor.

I read that already;) good review!! will go there some time soon and report back...
    Max001 wrote: »
    Yeh Glanman, I've been a few times for lunch and dinner. Best thing I can tell ya is just go and enjoy. Its head and shoulders above nearly all the other restaurants in the town is my ten cents. My reviews on tripadvisor.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Despite being perceived lower in the pecking order, i'd prefer much more of The Cornstore's menu.
    +1
    Of the apparent "holy grail" (among them Jacobs, Greenes, Jacques, Flemings, Ivory Tower, Les Gourmandises, Café Paradiso, Hayfield Manor) I've been to Jacobs (disappointing), Jacques (extremely disappointing), Hayfield Manor (well a group of us went for a "budget" meal there - and by god did they take that literally. I honestly think they used Bernard Matthews chicken and Ragu sauce). And it wasn't just the dishes I chose, it was the lack of variety in the entire menus also. In fairness, Café Paradiso was unreal.

But for the most part, I think mid-priced restaurants seem better - I don't know... maybe they've more to prove or something? Give me Isaacs, Fenns Quay, Il Vino, The Cornstore or Star Anise before the above any day.

The food in An Cruibin/The Silk Purse is fantastic - it has a Café Paradiso connection too, as far as I know.

Advertisement