Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kids + school

Options
  • 29-06-2009 4:39pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Lets put it to the poll!

To dip or not to dip? 69 votes

I'm atheist/agnostic, no kids, not prepared to baptize to access preferred school
    0%
    I'm atheist/agnostic, no kids, am prepared to baptize to access preferred school
    60%
    TwoShedsJacksonlordsippaVokesZombrexDapperGentsionnachrainbow kirbyDr PepperCathystevejazzxRbMickerooCerebralCortexCorkfeenAardcoffee_cake5uspectGhostInTheRuinsiceman777Tyler MacDurden 42 votes
    I'm atheist/agnostic, w/ kids, not prepared to baptize to access preferred school
    14%
    WackerPompey MagnusMatthewVIISam VimesGalvaseanbanjopaulNaz_stuncleoswaldGear9992common_parlance 10 votes
    I'm atheist/agnostic, w/ kids, am prepared to baptize to access preferred school
    7%
    OrionTim RobbinsMenaLostinKildare~me~ 5 votes
    I'm theist, no kids, not prepared for cleric of other religion to baptize to access preferred school
    11%
    Rev HellfireMrPuddingrobindchDadesgramlabredfacedbear20goto10dvpower 8 votes
    I'm theist, no kids, am prepared for cleric of other religion to baptize to access preferred school
    4%
    philologostogsterSeekUp 3 votes
    I'm theist, w/ kids, not prepared for cleric of other religion to baptize to access preferred school
    0%
    I'm theist, w/ kids, am prepared for cleric of other religion to baptize to access preferred school
    1%
    CDfm 1 vote

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

I'm theist, no kids, not prepared for cleric of other religion to baptize to access preferred school
    I agree, school is the best place for kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

I'm atheist/agnostic, no kids, am prepared to baptize to access preferred school
    School them up I say! School some sense into them!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

I'm atheist/agnostic, w/ kids, am prepared to baptize to access preferred school
    robindch wrote: »
    Lets put it to the poll!

Yeah, because the majority is always right!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

I can't agree going by my ****ty awful experience in school.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

I disagree - the collection noun for a bunch of children is "pest"

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Lets put it to the poll!
    Notices that boards puts up the lead post first, then waits while you do battle with the hopeless polling option interface which appears 20 minutes later when fiddling (and cup of tea) is complete. Must drop a note to feedback.

<sigh>

I agree, school is the best place for kids.
    Down the coalmines aged eight, I say!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

I totally get why people give in on the whole baptism thing, I just don't think I could manage it myself.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I note an early show of idealism in the poll...

You just wait till you're mortgaged to the hilt and time-poor, and THEN insist on driving your kids an extra hour a day to the nearest ET school. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I'm atheist/agnostic, w/ kids, not prepared to baptize to access preferred school
    I'll probably just do the white lie in order to ensure my kids get into a good local school.
    Before anyone uses the 'but then the Catholic Church can use them as statistics to influence...' argument, they'll do that anyway. They don't need solid facts/statistics to peddle their BS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Naz_st

Isn't there a bit of a contradiction here? Wouldn't the "preferred school" of most atheists be unlikely to require baptism in order to accept their kids?

However, if it became a necessity, it wouldn't bother me. One more ceremony with meaning only to those who find meaning in it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

I technically shouldn't vote in this. There's no way I'd raise my kids in this country were I to have them. Between blasphemy laws, 99% of government-funded schools being Catholic, religious classes being beat into you from an early age.. and (pettily, on my part, admittedly) all schools using uniforms, I just couldn't do it.

Also considering the amount of kids coming out of the systems who can't even speak/write properly, and are little arrogant bastards.. back to the Canadian education system for me tbh. Good education (why doesn't anyone here even know what a haiku is?), freedom of expression (only private schools use uniforms), freedom of religion (absolutely no religious stuff taught outside of the mythology section of history class unless you're in a private school), young kids aren't all bold and knackery and are fairly polite or at the very least, shy.

Love it.

That, or I'll go to mainland Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

liah wrote: »
    I technically shouldn't vote in this. There's no way I'd raise my kids in this country were I to have them. Between blasphemy laws, 99% of government-funded schools being Catholic, religious classes being beat into you from an early age.. and (pettily, on my part, admittedly) all schools using uniforms, I just couldn't do it.

Also considering the amount of kids coming out of the systems who can't even speak/write properly, and are little arrogant bastards.. back to the Canadian education system for me tbh. Good education (why doesn't anyone here even know what a haiku is?), freedom of expression (only private schools use uniforms), freedom of religion (absolutely no religious stuff taught outside of the mythology section of history class unless you're in a private school), young kids aren't all bold and knackery and are fairly polite or at the very least, shy.

Love it.

I do know Haiku form,
    Glazed frostily,
    Like ice on Dawkin's buttock.:pac:

I'm not sure. If I had children, I wouldn't raise them in Dublin that's for sure. Outside of Dublin, there might not be a choice in finding a good school for them, especially in a rural area.

This country really needs to sort itself out when it comes to education. There should never be a system of having a religion in control of young children's minds. Education should be totally free of that.

It should be a situation like liah's comment above...although I disagree with you about the uniforms. I think there are valid arguments for uniforms.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

(why doesn't anyone here even know what a haiku is?)

How can people be so ignorant? They mentioned it in Showdown In Little Tokyo!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭20goto10

Baptize them as a last resort. It still doesn't prove there's a God so what does it matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

Are you guys sure that the child needs to be baptised? I've never been baptised and I went to two Catholic primary schools, a protestant primary school, and a private protestant secondary school where I received a state grant (the logic of which was to help me go to a school which promoted my faith:rolleyes:) because my mother was baptised a protestant in the US in 1954. Or does it depend on the school?

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭LostinKildare

Depends on the school/principal.

My kid isn't baptized, but they were fine about that at our (Catholic) village school. Unfortunately he will probably be the only one in his class of 30+ who won't be doing his communion next year, but he is very independent for a 7-year-old and I don't think it'll be a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

Went to Catholic primary and secondary schools. Never baptised, never made my communion or conformation. Know lots of people who did the same. In fact I know of no-one who was turned away from their local school on religious grounds. In fact, had some great debates with the brothers and religion teachers.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Tyler MacDurden

Love it.

Ya bleedin' muppet-
    The young skanger's jaws flapping
    Ignorance is bliss.

Every time I visit somewhere clean and efficient in Europe I make this same vow, to send my as yet unborn progeny away for gentrification. I think our education system works pretty well if a kid is intelligent and open to learning. If you're struggling or simply not intellectually-inclined you'll drift through your schooling and be lucky to emerge with the most rudimentary skills.

I know people in their late teens and early twenties who display mind-boggling ignorance of basic language and arithmetic, not to mention a thorough lack of awareness of history, current affairs, etc.

I'll probably try the Educate Together option, if and when the time comes. Maybe someday we'll possess something akin to the Canadian model.

Don't despair entirely though Liah, a few of us can rustle up a mean haiku when required. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Where's the "Willing to lie, cheat and steal" option? I have no problem whatsoever pretending my (hypothetical) child has been baptised to circumvent a discriminatory system.

cert.jpg

Or whatever the hell a Catholic Baptism Cert looks like these days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Bit of a strange one for me this. When I lived in Dubluin my kids went to the French school and so baptism was not really relevent. In Milton Keynes the best school is a catholic school, which we took the decision not to send them to.

I voted that I would baptise them to get them into a school because if this was the only option available to me I would get it done. I have got three of my kids baptised to stop our parents whining at us. I would not hesitate for a second if I thought it would disadvantage my children in any way to not get them baptised.

Number 4 is currently baptism free and is like to stay that way at this point.

MrP

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Also considering the amount of kids coming out of the systems who can't even speak/write properly, and are little arrogant bastards...
    I'm not sure why things seem so bad in Mullingar, but there are plenty of excellent schools and well rounded kids to be found around Ireland. Like any country in the world you will find disparate social characteristics depending on where you look.

And not sure what the relevance of a Haiku is, tbh! I had to look it up and I'm not compelled to blush with retrospective ignorance having done so. :)

Oh, and +1 for uniforms!

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭LostinKildare

I'm American --
    learned haiku in junior high.
    Never use it though. :)

Dades wrote: »
    [...] things seem so bad in Mullingar
    Possibly the catholic church getting back for somebody burning down Tullamore's Church of the Assumption in October 1983?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

On the uniform level. Personally, I think they serve a valid purpose. My primary had no uniform, but my secondary did. In primary school, those from less fortunate backrounds would have shoddier clothes, no Nike etc neither. They would get picked on over it. 'Knacker' etc were the usual insults. In secondary, we all dressed in uniforms, and this type of thing did not really happen anymore. Though they'd then turn to someone being 'Ginger' or 'Specky' or some such:rolleyes:

Also, If fights occur, shop-lifting, anti-social behaviour etc. Uniforms can point people to the correct school. Also, students playing truent. Uniforms make it a bit harder.

Overall, I don't see the big fuss about them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

Dades wrote: »
    I'm not sure why things seem so bad in Mullingar, but there are plenty of excellent schools and well rounded kids to be found around Ireland. Like any country in the world you will find disparate social characteristics depending on where you look.

And not sure what the relevance of a Haiku is, tbh! I had to look it up and I'm not compelled to blush with retrospective ignorance having done so. :)

Oh, and +1 for uniforms!

The kids seemed even worse in Dublin! Plus I keep hearing rants & raves about the kids here, whereas I don't recall any like that back home and it's not like I've been away THAT long.

I picked haiku because I was watching "Are You Smarter Than a 10-Year-Old" ages with a couple of Irish lads (and an English one), and that question came up, NONE of them knew what it was, whereas I learned it when I was about.. 5. :pac: It was more of a joke thing.
    But I do find a lot of REALLY basic stuff (generally literature or language-based) I learned when I was tiny isn't known about at all here, and I'm not talking about obscure Canadian history facts or anything.

As for uniforms, I'd've hated them. I love being able to express my individuality and I think everyone should have the opportunity to. Especially as a teenager, when you're at your most expressive, as a rule. I went to a public school where we had no uniforms. Wouldn't've given it up for the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭stevejazzx

Zillah wrote: »
    Where's the "Willing to lie, cheat and steal" option? I have no problem whatsoever pretending my (hypothetical) child has been baptised to circumvent a discriminatory system.

cert.jpg

Or whatever the hell a Catholic Baptism Cert looks like these days.

No need to lie, just tell the school that your kid was baptised in Russia and that the church is no longer there and thus cannot issue the cert.
    Worked for me; complete twoddle it was but never questioned!
    Might be a bit strange if one of the partners isn't russian though:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Goduznt Xzst

JimiTime wrote: »
    On the uniform level. Personally, I think they serve a valid purpose.

I can also see the purpose of Uniforms but I don't think they matter. In school kids segregated themselves for all sorts of reasons. Kids who collected Premier League Stickers, Kids with Cable, Kids with the latest WWF toys with kungfu grip.

I remember the day I was allowed to walk over and talk to the cable kids because I knew what happened on last nights Alien Nation.

Plus in secondary school, even though there was a uniform, variations on it separated groups. Instead of black shoes, rich kids would buy all black pumas or nikes, and instead of navy trousers they'd buy expensive navy combat trousers. Plus the only guidelines for jackets was that they be navy of black. Rich kids would have £400 gore-tex or kangol jackets.

Nowadays I'd imagine the gadgets you have on you is what separates the kids. I'm sure there are iPhone or Apple geek groups in secondary schools.

stevejazzx wrote: »
    No need to lie, just tell the school that your kid was baptised in Russia and that the church is no longer there and thus cannot issue the cert. Worked for me; complete twoddle it was but never questioned!
    Might be a bit strange if one of the partners isn't russian though
    Never thought of that. Excellent idea!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭stevejazzx

Never thought of that. Excellent idea!

Happy to help!

This situation reminds me of that quote from Shawshank Redemption -
    The funny thing is, on the outside, I was an honest man, straight as an arrow. I had to come to prison to be a crook.~ Andy Dufresne

I was a straight man until I came up against religion...

Advertisement