Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

tricolour stickers around the place

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Fallen Buckshot

Holy ****es somone Snuck into my room at night and put a Tri color on my wall :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I have no problem with people putting up the tricolour. My problem is with tatty little stickers depicting it being stuck on road signs, which is clearly not an appropriate place.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Póg mo thón

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Spastafarian

'patriot brethern'?

Why shouldnt I remover the English placenames from signs in my local area?

I find them offensive and they are totally incorrect translations.They are a remnant of colonialism and have no right to be there.

You find english place names offensive but not vandalized road signs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Poccington

The demise of our nation due to people who are obviously offended by their own national flag and language.

Oh... So you were being serious in that other post?

I find the whole Tricolour sticker on roadsigns thing right up there with ***** wearing the Irish flag as a cape when they go watch an Ireland match... An insult to the flag. Oh, and of course the tools who think it's necessary to play the National Anthem at the end of a night out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭hawkwing

I've noticed these for the past 4-6 weeks,on signs,flyovers etc.Yesterday also on the back of a cart being pulled by horses in Inchicore.They might be like the runners hanging from lamposts and indicate places where drugs are being sold??:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭An Fear Aniar

Immigrants from Côte d'Ivoire, most likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭hawkwing

Immigrants from Côte d'Ivoire, most likely.

The 2 lads didn't look like Drogba though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭An Fear Aniar

hawkwing wrote: »
    The 2 lads didn't look like Drogba though!

Even when it was the bears I knew it was the immigants.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Why shouldnt I remover the English placenames from signs in my local area?
    So that people who don't have stellar Irish know where they're going? The purpose of a road sign is to direct people in a car, not a spit in the face of Irish nationalism. Tis funny also how Irish is our official first language yet the Dáil is in English! It's a joke, all they need to know what Tá and Níl mean.

Anyway, been in Dublin lately and haven't seen any of these flags. Tis' a mystery to be left to Scooby Doo & Gang no doubt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,514 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

You'd think whoever was putting them up would give some explanation otherwise whatever meaning there is is lost.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

jumpguy wrote: »
    It's a joke, all they need to know what Tá and Níl mean.

For those that don't know:
    Tá means to melt, or to change from ice to water etc.
    Níl means to get on your knees, such as at mass or the way a women níl's when she's about to give you head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

I think it's a viral campaign advertising a new, radical and nationalistic neopolitan ice cream or "IRA's cream," if you will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

"All tricolour wavers are shinners/chuckies"
    versus
    "All people who don't hate the English are west Brits"

Which sentiment is more narrowminded/ignorant/unreasonable/irrational? I can't decide.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Póg mo thón

Tabhar dom an cáca milis.

I find your obvious wish for the return of your English Imperialist masters abhorrent
    How is it "obvious" that poster has such a wish? Oh wait... it isn't.
    The demise of our nation due to people who are obviously offended by their own national flag and language.
    How are they "obviously offended" by their own national flag and language? Maybe they don't feel compelled to place that much importance on them - their choice no? I fail to see how that's the same as being "offended" by them...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭DubMedic

An File wrote: »
    Tabhar dom an cáca milis.

Agus Sharon Ní Bheoláin. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

DubMedic wrote: »
    Agus Sharon Ní Bheoláin. :pac:

ta me laughing out loud

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Dudess wrote: »
    How are they "obviously offended" by their own national flag and language?

I don't think that's what he's referring to. But rather, the likes of those who are actively against or negative towards any sentiment of Irish symbolism. Basically - those who are entrenched in an anti-Irish/Gaelic/Culture, pro West-Brit agenda. They do exist, and apparently are running around attacking people with spoons.. As if for some asinine reason, we should be ashamed, or weary to express or display our sentiments.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

jumpguy wrote: »
    So that people who don't have stellar Irish know where they're going? The purpose of a road sign is to direct people in a car, not a spit in the face of Irish nationalism.
    How do people from here manage in France or Germany, with an English map and "foreign" signposts? I guess they get a local map that says Köln - Colonge. Then when they see the sign for Köln they know where they are.

• Advertisement

dlofnep wrote: »
    I don't think that's what he's referring to. But rather, the likes of those who are actively against or negative towards any sentiment of Irish symbolism. Basically - those who are entrenched in an anti-Irish/Gaelic/Culture, pro West-Brit agenda. They do exist, and apparently are running around attacking people with spoons.. As if for some asinine reason, we should be ashamed, or weary to express or display our sentiments.
    I don't consider the term "west Brit" to have any meaning really, dlofnep.

Of course, anyone like who you've described above is a moron, but are there really people like that? I know there are the anti republican revisionists, whom I just find pathetic as you know, but do they go far enough to the point of being anti Irish symbol/language etc...?
    And also, some people aren't really into symbols of national pride - it's just not their thing (e.g. me), that doesn't mean we hate Ireland (far from it in my case - I find pride in being Irish a bit pointless, but I actually get quite angered by that most retarded sentence "it makes me ashamed to be Irish" :rolleyes:) or want our heritage destroyed. And it doesn't mean we can't see horrible injustices done to Irish people down through the ages and don't feel revulsion at the complacency towards same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Clown Shoes

Nothing wrong with flying the flag, it means different things to different people.

I think it was Wilde who said "Patriotism, the last refuge of the scoundrel"

If we´re looking at a flag for the answers to lifes question, well we haven´t much hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

-Hey buddy, my grandad died for that flag!
    -Really? I bought mine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

I don't consider the term "west Brit" to have any meaning really, dlofnep.

I'm slightly less politically correct than you my sweet friend, and I've certainly met my fair share of what I describe as West-Brits in my time. From being called a Fenian scumbag for wearing an Easter Lilly in remembrance of the brave men and women who fought in 1916, to being called a stupid ra head for speaking Irish.
    Of course, anyone like who you've described above is a moron, but are there really people like that?

That was a play on words froman earlier post in this thead. But yes, I've met similarly minded folk in my itme.
    I know there are the anti republican revisionists, whom I just find pathetic as you know, but do they go far enough to the point of being anti Irish symbol/language etc...?

Yes.
    And also, some people aren't really into symbols of national pride - it's just not their thing (e.g. me), that doesn't mean we hate Ireland (far from it in my case - I find pride in being Irish a bit pointless, but I actually get quite angered by that most retarded sentence "it makes me ashamed to be Irish" :rolleyes:) or want our heritage destroyed. And it doesn't mean we can't see horrible injustices done to Irish people down through the ages and don't feel revulsion at the complacency towards same.

I understand your stance just perfectly and have nothing wrong with it. You're not running around calling people fenian fúckers and ra heads for no reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

-Hey buddy, my grandad died for that flag!
    -Really? I bought mine.
    Aah, Bill Hicks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Magnus wrote: »
    How do people from here manage in France or Germany, with an English map and "foreign" signposts? I guess they get a local map that says Köln - Colonge. Then when they see the sign for Köln they know where they are.
    Well you see that's not comparable, as the majority of Germany and France speaks German and French respectively. Whereas in Ireland the majority speak English. Hence, our sign posts are in English, but hey, just in case someone only knows a place name in Irish or just wants to read signposts in Irish, they're in Irish too! Why is it such a big deal?

Don't get me wrong, I love our independence, but the signpost thing is ridiculous. Infact, I can't believe I just wrote a paragraph on such a retarded argument. Bet that was your plan all along. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Can we get back to the subject of the thread - i.e. what's the story with those stickers? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Something to do with COIR and Lisbon maybe?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

Stephen wrote: »
    Can we get back to the subject of the thread - i.e. what's the story with those stickers? :pac:

yeah i was about to post the same thing! :pac:

Any ideas?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭devereaux17

i cant wait for a united ireland and then we change the national flag, what should the new one be?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement