Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE prog times

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

The versatile continuity announcer can be trained to use the machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,203 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

With your deep and insightful knowledge of RTE you should be a mod here

Oh I see...

• Subscribers Posts: 16,568 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Bond-007 wrote: »

the machine?

what machine exactly can do all this?

What ever device that update Sky EPG data in realtime.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭legendal

Breaking a film to show Fair City promos at 2am is completely pointless IMHO.
    I don't mind ads in the middle of movies too much, RTÉ need to make their money and all that. But breaking for 40 seconds with two promos is pretty annoying, because it feels so unnecessary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭NormanNicetouch

Dodge wrote: »
    For the record BBC's schedules were all over the place last night thansk to Wimbledon and sky plus did not adjust. Either way its not really fair to compare their massive, massive resources with RTE's.

But BBC Ceefax did.Within a few minutes and was regularly updated. It hardly takes massive massive resources to update a few programme listings. Presumably there's someone on duty in the Continuity department at all times who could do this with minimal effort. After all, they're probably sat watching the telly scratching their holes most of the time like those of us at home.
    I also believe people are massively overreacting to what isn't anything as regular as some posters are making out. When sport isn't involved I doubt its ever an issue. it certainly has never been an issue for me

You're obviously not a late-night viewer. Try recording a few movies or shows after 11pm on RTE and see how often you miss the start or end if you go by RTE's listings - even when there is no live programming apart from the news earlier in the evening. Happens with shocking regularity. Do the same thing on any of the other Irish/Uk channels and you will find they nearly always run to schedule.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭afatbollix

all pre recorded these days... the guy for UTV does it all in 2 days for 3 months and goes back to his other job in london... same with every other channel these days.. too much to go wrong doing it live..

• Registered Users Posts: 43,812 ✭✭✭✭Basq

afatbollix wrote: »
    all pre recorded these days... the guy for UTV does it all in 2 days for 3 months and goes back to his other job in london... same with every other channel these days.. too much to go wrong doing it live..
    The majority are pre-recorded.. but not all.

I've personally heard an announcer flub a line on Dave, RTE and Sky1 over the last month or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭afatbollix

Dave is deffo not done live.. know for a fact... runs all off server...

you can hear the same one being said after top gear alot..

they like to take the piss off themselfs so that mistake might of been there for a reason..

Sky 1 and RTE could prob do it live so you have me there..

• Registered Users Posts: 43,812 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Yeah, Dave is quite "jokey" with their voiceovers so definitely a possibility it was done for comic effect.

And how I laughed! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

But BBC Ceefax did.Within a few minutes and was regularly updated. It hardly takes massive massive resources to update a few programme listings. Presumably there's someone on duty in the Continuity department at all times who could do this with minimal effort. After all, they're probably sat watching the telly scratching their holes most of the time like those of us at home.
    Look at slow news and sport is to be updated at Aertel. It does take resouorces, and unfortunately RTE doesn't have them

You're obviously not a late-night viewer.
    I am actually, and I've never found it to be a problem

afatbollix wrote: »

With this may be true for the non terrestrial channels, BBC and UTV continuity is still mostly live. Otherwise why do we still hear things like "due to the tennis/extended news etc. , programmes are now running 13 minutes behind schedule" followed by details of the revised programmes? And as far as I know Julian Simmons, UTV's Mister Camp, is based in NI these days and he certainly gets more than 8 days work a year.

With this may be true for the non terrestrial channels, BBC and UTV continuity is still mostly live. Otherwise why do we still hear things like "due to the tennis/extended news etc. , programmes are now running 13 minutes behind schedule" followed by details of the revised programmes?

Its the other way around. Its mostly pre-recorded and they have "emergency staff" in to cover, well, emergencies...

They even can't get it right in the daytime. Shortland Street started 3 mins early.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

MOH wrote: »
    Record Eastenders on RTE every day (or whatever days it's on) for 2 weeks. Allow 1 minute either side of the scheduled recording. I'd be surprised if you're not missing the start (usually) or end on at least 2 days.

1 from 1 last night, started a couple of minutes early, Sky+ missed the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭whirlwind

MOH wrote: »
    Record Eastenders on RTE every day (or whatever days it's on) for 2 weeks. Allow 1 minute either side of the scheduled recording. I'd be surprised if you're not missing the start (usually) or end on at least 2 days.

As i said back on the first page Eastenders is a 28 min bbc programme that rte stick a 3 min add into the middle of. therefore to offset the the fact that it becomes essentially a 35 min programme they start it at 19.28 or 19.58 always. It there just changed the schedule to reflect they need 35 mins to show it then the problem would be solved.

My advice, if you are recording eastenders on rte give it 4 mins early and a few after too.

Or record it on BBC without ads...

You're obviously not a late-night viewer. Try recording a few movies or shows after 11pm on RTE and see how often you miss the start or end if you go by RTE's listings - even when there is no live programming apart from the news earlier in the evening. Happens with shocking regularity. Do the same thing on any of the other Irish/Uk channels and you will find they nearly always run to schedule.

Iam a late night viewer and often enough if i am not up or gone out i record. I leave plenty of time either side (8-10) mins regardless of channel. But in my experience problems with rte late night are few and far between. So i have to disagree on that point.
    However they do have other issues with them on what they schedule and when. Also the things like eastenders annoy even though i dont want to watch/record it that much anyway.

True its also on the rte player on their website

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

yes its the same on BBC2. Have recorded two different episodes of the wire and they both ran out before the end. Infuriating. As for RTE moving Scrubs from 9pm to 11.40 pm when there are there are only three episodes left of the series is lunacy. Father Ted on now in its slot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭JDxtra

RTE are just bad time keepers! They often chop many of the adverts around the 8.30pm weekday show so they can hit the news at 9pm. Must cost a small fortune in lost revenue. Not updating the EPG data live due to a lack of resources is a poor excuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭JDxtra

...and why at the end of the 9pm news bulletin do they say "the next news is on RTE 2 at 11.07 this evening". No need to be so specific, we know you could miss that by +/- 10 mins. :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Meh, they are pretty good most of the time to be fair.

I rarely watch RTE anymore but I've rarely noticed them being late, certianly it is rare that they would be over 5 minutes late.

They used to be horrible for it when I was in secondary school because I remember thinking how crap they were but they have gotten much better in recent years.

whirlwind wrote: »
    As i said back on the first page Eastenders is a 28 min bbc programme that rte stick a 3 min add into the middle of. therefore to offset the the fact that it becomes essentially a 35 min programme they start it at 19.28 or 19.58 always. It there just changed the schedule to reflect they need 35 mins to show it then the problem would be solved.

That actually makes sense, but means RTE consistently publish a program schedule that they know to be wrong, which is unacceptable.
    My advice, if you are recording eastenders on rte give it 4 mins early and a few after too.
    I actually had Sky+ set to allow 5 minutes before every recording, to to compensate for RTE's muppetry but that was wasting disk space on everything except RTE programmes (and even at that didn't always catch them anyway) , so changed it back to a minute which generally works fine.

I usually do, but since RTE is first listed in the EPG with BBC 2 pages down I get lazy sometimes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

whirlwind wrote: »

thats all very well but its when you record a full series that you run into problems. my digital service gives me the option by pressing one button. off course when i did record series i found that two episodes did not record fully. wrote to them about it once and they blamed it on the schedules that channel in question gave them.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,568 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

BBC messed up top gear on Sunday. I think they thought the tennis was going to run late so they adjusted epg for Top Gear to start at 8.15. Then they changed there minds and started it at 8 instead. Either way I missed the first 15 minutes..

Ah so it was not just me then. :mad: BBC fail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭doh.ie

JDxtra wrote: »
    ...and why at the end of the 9pm news bulletin do they say "the next news is on RTE 2 at 11.07 this evening". No need to be so specific, we know you could miss that by +/- 10 mins. :-)

Have to say, this bugs the crap out of me as well. Anne Doyle's always doing her "The late news is on RTE TWO at 23 minutes past eleven..." And I always think, "For God's sake! 11.20 or 11.25 - frickin' round it up and no one will notice or miss out!"

You can just imagine the schedulers handing over a sheet daily with the time circled and the RTE Newspeople thinking, "Oh, we must put it in exactly" with the news editor checking the audiocue and also agreeing that this is a perfectly normal way to give out a time, and then Anne herself never wondering why it's so specific.

Meanwhile, over on RTE Radio 1, I've yet to hear the news at 9am or 10am ever quite hit the top of the hour.

Basically, annoying.

Also, must remember to get a life.

JDxtra wrote: »

Anne Doyle always says "and finally a reminder that the news on RTE2 will be at 14 minutes past 11" (or whatever time). Like, a shagging reminder? As if we all knew it would be at 14 minutes past 11 instead of 11.10 as advertised everywhere, but there's a chance we might just forget? Plus I'm really not that sad (OK I am) , but I'd guess that if I actually checked what time News on Two started every night, it would be any time except the one Anne actually says.

• Advertisement

Anne Doyle always says "and finally a reminder that the news on RTE2 will be at 14 minutes past 11" (or whatever time). Like, a shagging reminder? As if we all knew it would be at 14 minutes past 11 instead of 11.10 as advertised everywhere, but there's a chance we might just forget? Plus I'm really not that sad (OK I am) , but I'd guess that if I actually checked what time News on Two started every night, it would be any time except the one Anne actually says.

Maybe she should just say "a reminder taht the new on RTE will not be at 14 minutes past 11" - that's far more likely to be accurate.

Advertisement