Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE prog times

Options
  • 28-06-2009 11:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭

Are RTE actually capable of showing a program at it scheduled time ? 11.35 now for an 11.20 advertised program. (Entourage) At least tv3 with all its faults is always dead on with its programming times. Couple of minutes no worries but 15 minutes ? And no, I don't have anything better to be worried about.

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 16,566 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

tv3 show very few live programs, it is live programs that mess up schedules, especially sport. I believe the confederations cup final ran a fair bit later than it was scheduled and knocked everything else out by the same time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

RTE has never been punctural, never. Making the 6 o'clock deadline for the bongs is hard enough for them. By late evening, if setting the timer on a recording device you need to give it 10 mins at least either side.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Heckler

copacetic wrote: »
    tv3 show very few live programs, it is live programs that mess up schedules, especially sport. I believe the confederations cup final ran a fair bit later than it was scheduled and knocked everything else out by the same time.

I understand live progs throwing things out of whack but mike65 is right, they are easily 10-15 minutes out even on a regular schedule on a regular basis. I know its not the end of the world but it can be annoying. Usually happens later in the evening i.e. 11pm onwards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

count yourself lucky the confederations match didn't go to extra time and penatlies...

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭whirlwind

Heckler wrote: »
    I understand live progs throwing things out of whack but mike65 is right, they are easily 10-15 minutes out even on a regular schedule on a regular basis. I know its not the end of the world but it can be annoying. Usually happens later in the evening i.e. 11pm onwards

iam sorry i have to disagree RTE don't be 10-15 mins out on a regular basis. I often record programmes after 11 and yes they can be out by a few mins but they are never 10 mins out unless they have live sport, they arent that bad.

They get an awful hammering on here some of which is deserved but much of it is not

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,864 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

RTE's timing is that crap it negates any benefit of having Sky+.

Entourage being on so late is a disgrace to start with and then they hold it up even more by showing pointless GAA matches. Even true GAA fans didn't wanna be watching Ulster Hurling and Camogie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

RTÉ were probably obliged to show the camogie and Ulster hurling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Really?

Anywhoo back on topic. The other night RTE were 10 mins late by the time they were finsihed with "Quiz Show". Anyone recording it via Sky + would be fecked.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,802 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Just put up the recording padding on start / end on your Sky+ recording by 10 - 15 minutes.

Problem solved!

10 minutes is the max padding allowed. Even it such an extreme measure RTE can frustrate you.

• Advertisement

Sky boxes are also the manual setting up of recordings

• Registered Users Posts: 28,730 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I don't think that's the point though. The issue is why RTE can't reasonably keep to a schedule when every other channel can do so.

Just to warn ye i reckon that with the last question and answers on tonight it will run a bit late and hence programmes will be later than stated. It was a good programme and i think with a programme like this if a discussion is good and its a special occasion letting it run late is justified.
    I really don't think though overall that rte is all that bad with the late night and general time keeping.
    However one weak spot in my opinion is that they shouldnt be afraid to use 5s or 10s in programme times. For instance when they show Eastenders, a 28 mins programme from bbc, they stick on add into it and after it. So rather than starting at 20.00 it starts at 19.58 and then the next programme starts at 20.35, Why not simply state this on the TV guide.

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    I don't think that's the point though. The issue is why RTE can't reasonably keep to a schedule when every other channel can do so.

i think they keep pretty resonably to the schedule though with only a few exceptions. i dont think any day with live sport like last saturday and Sunday is fair to cite. just look at bbc today with the murray match BBC1's programmes were on bbc2 till 10 after the tennis went on bbc1 from 8 till 10.40 then the news started 40 mins late

The BBC is pretty good in general at keeping to a scheldue but itv/Utv can be pretty bad. Tv3 and tg4 as well have offended too.

The point about showing Ulster hurling etc, while iam not sure what programme that was in on the night entourage was so late, Rte as a responability to show provinical finals. The match between Down and antrim was quite good and close so iam sure that many people up there and indeed now here would wanted to see it.

The difference between the BBC and RTE is that the BBC alter their EPG data in real time to reflect late running of programmes. RTE do not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭heyjude

RTE timekeeping is very poor, especially on Network 2. Its such a rarity for a programme to start on time, that I often wonder why they bother putting times on their tv schedules at all, maybe they should put +/- 10 minutes opposite each time slot on the TV listings.

As for the explanation/excuse that Live programmes have overrun their timeslot, while I accept that this can happen, they also run late on evenings on which they haven't had any live programmes. It is also infuriating when you find they are running 5+ minutes late and instead of showing the next programme, they run advert after advert for programmes that are on tomorrow or next week. I accept they need to show paid adverts, but surely when they are running late they could leave out the adverts plugging future programmes.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭NormanNicetouch

Oh yippee. Set dvd to record the last Questions and Answers last night. It being RTE allowed extra ten minutes at the end for usual overrun/atrocious timing. Still got cut off before programme ended. Reasons we all love RTE number 126.

Oh yippee. Set dvd to record the last Questions and Answers last night. It being RTE allowed extra ten minutes at the end for usual overrun/atrocious timing. Still got cut off before programme ended. Reasons we all love RTE number 126.
    That would never be allowed to happen on the BBC. They would have had updated the programme data before it was originally scheduled to end. Result, the full show records.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,566 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Bond-007 wrote: »
    That would never be allowed to happen on the BBC. They would have had updated the programme data before it was originally scheduled to end. Result, the full show records.

Not if you are using a simple dvd recorder.

The difference between the BBC and RTE is that the BBC alter their EPG data in real time to reflect late running of programmes. RTE do not.

Ask yourself. Are RTÉ actually able to do that. I have heard they cant so that is an unfair criticism.

• Advertisement

If they paid sky the money for a live link they could.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,443 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Its mad, we've come from 2 channel land on black and white 12 inch sets (not that overly long ago), to being a bit pissed because our sky+ box missed a few minutes of a programme we wanted to record (a program which , in general, will be on another channel again sometime or even repeated on the same channel again).

How I miss the good old days of the RTE screen test.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

BBC 4 actually had a filler last night. The 8 pm prog ended at 8.55 so they decieded to give "London to Brighton in three and a half minutes" short film a spin out. :)

Or the ever reliable Coast.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭NormanNicetouch

Surely RTE could at least update its Aertel listings when programmes are running late due to live programme overruns or schedule changes. They never do. I've noticed in recent days when the BBC has changed its schedules for live Wimbledon coverage its Ceefax listings have been regularly updated within minutes to give the new programme information. It'd hardly take a great effort on RTE's part.

Surely RTE could at least update its Aertel listings when programmes are running late due to live programme overruns or schedule changes. They never do. I've noticed in recent days when the BBC has changed its schedules for live Wimbledon coverage its Ceefax listings have been regularly updated within minutes to give the new programme information. It'd hardly take a great effort on RTE's part.
    Indeed. It would not take that much effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,183 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

For the record BBC's schedules were all over the place last night thansk to Wimbledon and sky plus did not adjust. Either way its not really fair to compare their massive, massive resources with RTE's.

I also believe people are massively overreacting to what isn't anything as regular as some posters are making out. When sport isn't involved I doubt its ever an issue. it certainly has never been an issue for me

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Dodge wrote: »
    I also believe people are massively overreacting to what isn't anything as regular as some posters are making out. When sport isn't involved I doubt its ever an issue. it certainly has never been an issue for me

Record Eastenders on RTE every day (or whatever days it's on) for 2 weeks. Allow 1 minute either side of the scheduled recording. I'd be surprised if you're not missing the start (usually) or end on at least 2 days.

The main problems are when sport, current affairs and chat shows over run. The Late Late Show and Tubridy Tonight frequently over ran making the subsequent timings unreliable. The problem could easily solved by removing the pointless promo ads during the early morning programmes. Breaking a film to show Fair City promos at 2am is completely pointless IMHO.

• Advertisement

If they paid sky the money for a live link they could.

Its as easy as that? Then we will have people moaning about RTÉ hiring someone to sit on their arse doing nothing for most of the week. They can never win

Advertisement