Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Major iPhone MMS bug?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭philiporeilly

Apologies for the quality of this as I was using a webcam and typing on the iPhone upside down but a video is available http://explicit.ie/iphone-mms-bug.m4v showing the exact bug in action.

The APN settings were changed in this video to the screenshot you provided with no change even after restarting phone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 ggregg

I found the followiing comment on an apple forum site and it dies work.

However I got the workaround that I can use the "+" button and select the contact and number one by one then it stays as SMS group messaging. It's a pain to select the contacts one by one while I can actually write up their names on the field.

Give it a go

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭fbradyirl

Hi Philip, I've discussed this with Daryll & there is a possibility that this is caused by the old (very first) O2_ie.ipcc tethering file which was posted on my www.jellysms.com/blog

I can't test it though as I have since restored my phone a couple of times. Maybe a restore will sort it for you?

The tethering file which has been on the blog the past couple of weeks doesn't have this issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

fbradyirl wrote: »
    Hi Philip, I've discussed this with Daryll & there is a possibility that this is caused by the old (very first) O2_ie.ipcc tethering file which was posted on my www.jellysms.com/blog

I can't test it though as I have since restored my phone a couple of times. Maybe a restore will sort it for you?

The tethering file which has been on the blog the past couple of weeks doesn't have this issue.

Don't think that this is the issue - my iPhone is on the Vodafone network, bought in Italy - unlocked. I've never used the phone for Tethering but my phone and 3 others in the same office as me are having this problem.

fbradyirl wrote: »

Thanks for the reply. I installed the latest file from your website and verified in settings that it was changed but I'm still having the same problem. i will do a full restore tonight from home and see if that makes a difference.

• Advertisement

That's interesting Paddy. Looks like it could be a big ass bug in OS 3.0 then!

Ok Philip let us know how you get on!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

Same thing here, well spotted, I have 3.0, 16Gb 3G with tethering enabled.

Looking forward to a fix for this, in the meantime it will cost a lot of people a lot of money finding out the hard way.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

I just had a look at the video and entered the names by typing rather than using the plus and still it remains as a message and doesn't change to mms.

Although at one point I thought I had the bug because it changed to mms but I noticed I entered a name that had an email to it.

mad muffin wrote: »
    I just had a look at the video and entered the names by typing rather than using the plus and still it remains as a message and doesn't change to mms.

Although at one point I thought I had the bug because it changed to mms but I noticed I entered a name that had an email to it.

Definately pick mobile numbers each time so not email.

I was advised to do a complete restore and almost 2hrs later the phone is restored and all is working as it should be.

I clicked restore, which downloaded 3.0 os again from Apple and reinstalled. I then selected restore My iPhone from backup and all files were synced back.

What is strange though is that tethering is still enabled on the phone and MMS is working perfectly. If tethering is still enabled, the old operator file must have been restored with the backup?? Maybe this rules out the operator file?

thanks for all the feedback and assistance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭O2_Daryll

Sorry I did not post on here until now but I am glad you got sorted after the restore.

• Advertisement

I'm seeing this issue myself now on 3.0!

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭CivilEx

I think most of us are! Any ideas if the 3.1 beta sorts it out?

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭dave oc

Im hoping this issue gets sorted as I just have found this problem too. From what Im reading on other sites (google searches on the issue) people seem to think its related to the carrier settings file the iPhone uses? For example with networks that officially support the iphone like O2 I believe they have Carrier settings(IPCC files) which are downloaded to the phone when syncing, and its somewhere in this file that controls whether group messages are sent as MMS or SMS. By default its apparently set to MMS? Anyone hear about this or am I just talking crazy talk? :)

Just so people know Ive found a solution to this and it doesnt need a jailbreak or anything. I used this site:

http://www.volkspost.info/ipcc_fw3/

It creates a custom .ipcc carrier that can be loaded through iTunes and fixes the group MMS bug. It will also enable tethering and fixes other little annoying things like the 'active diverts' pop up at the start of every call and makes the voicemail tab in Phone dial 171.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Dave6195 wrote: »
    fixes other little annoying things like the 'active diverts' pop up at the start of every call and makes the voicemail tab in Phone dial 171.

Hmm weird, my phone doesn't have that pop up and when I press voicemail it dials 171 already.

Im with meteor (factory unlocked iphone) and so no carrier file was auto downloaded to my phone, I had to input setting for MMS and DATA manually and some of these other settings werent set either.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

I have a 16GB Italian (Unlocked) Iphone on three and I have this problem also.

Also have put in the Jelly SMS settings for tethering (Thanks Finbarr).

Advertisement