Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Major iPhone MMS bug?

Options
  • 28-06-2009 8:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭

I recently sent a plain text message (101 characters) to my Dad and he called me back to say that he couldn't receive MMS messages as his handset is really old. This alarmed me as I couldnt understand why I would get charged for an MMS instead of plain text message.

Apparently if you send a message to more than one contact, they are automatically sent as group MMS messages and it doesnt matter even if you use just plain text and under 160 charracters. I checked my account online and yes I am being charged for 11 MMS messages that should have been plain text messages. Thank god my Dad told me and I spotted this early.

I have sent a message to O2 and logged the issue on Apples Developer bug reporter website but I am interested if this is effecting others when sending texts to more than one contact.

For those of you worried about being overcharged you can disable MMS in SETTINGS > MESSAGES > MMS MESSAGING > OFF

mms-bug-iphone.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Well spotted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭Purple Gorilla

Are you sure? I sent out a group-text (plain text) to 25 people yesterday. I'm on O2 Experience More (Free texts to any network) and it didn't charge me anything. It would've charged me if it was MMS

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭philiporeilly

Are you sure? I sent out a group-text (plain text) to 25 people yesterday. I'm on O2 Experience More (Free texts to any network) and it didn't charge me anything. It would've charged me if it was MMS

Definately charged for MMS on my account according to O2.ie My account page but I am not on the same plan as you. Can you test your iPhone if you have MMS enabled and put two contacts in a text message. Does it say group MMS message as like my screenshot above?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Mr Bloat

I just tested it now and I sent a plain text message to multiple people without it changing to a mms, and I have mms enabled and have sent some already.

I did notice, however that if I selected a email address instead of a phone number that it does indeed change to the mms screen you posted (for instance, if I type John in the To field of the message, it gives me the option to select John Mobile and John Email from the address book, if I select John Mobile, it's a text message, if I select John Email, it's a mms).

Maybe you're selecting a email address by mistake for one of your contacts in the group message?

(incidentally, sending a mms to an email address actually works, which would be cool if we couldn't already send emails from the iPhone and/or if we wanted to be charged 25cent for each one...:))

Definately selecting mobile telephone numbers. Tested it with various contacts and as soon as you select the second contact it switches to group MMS messaging.

If you disable MMS in settings it sends as standard text message

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Mr Bloat

Definately selecting mobile telephone numbers. Tested it with various contacts and as soon as you select the second contact it switches to group MMS messaging.

If you disable MMS in settings it sends as standard text message

It's certainly an odd one but I'm sitting here with two iPhones in front of me, both with the mms settings enabled and neither are having the problem that you are seeing. I'm not doubting you (especially as you have the screenshot to prove it :)), I'm just saying I can't replicate it. I know you were/are using the jellysms method of tethering and I know that this method messes up the mms settings, perhaps this is the reason for your problem? Can the tethering be undone? Maybe you should try a restore if it can't?

Have tethering enabled on a non jailbroken phone and yes it can be undone by restoring the original operator file which is available on jellysms.com/blog

Would be interested to know if this is effecting other iPhone users using tethering or not. Seems to be a bug which automatically switches text to MMS messages. Tethering could be it but it only enables one setting and all the rest are exactly the same for MMS / operator etc.

Open Messages, Type name of contacts and select two mobile contacts. Changes to MMS automatically?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭Purple Gorilla

Definately charged for MMS on my account according to O2.ie My account page but I am not on the same plan as you. Can you test your iPhone if you have MMS enabled and put two contacts in a text message. Does it say group MMS message as like my screenshot above?
    Just did it there and it doesn't say MMS Message. It just says New Message.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Doesn't happen here if I select two contacts. Using an iPhone 3G running 3.0. No jailbreaks or anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭jammer84

Doesn't happen here either - iPhone 3Gs

• Advertisement

Thanks for the replies lads and could be limited to my handset. I now have MMS disabled by default to be careful but everytime I try to send a message when enabled to more than one contact it automatically switches to group MMS.

Woud stil be interested in ths is effecting anone else with MMS enabled on their phone. Select messages, type two contacts and it should switch to MMS group message.

My Handset:

16Gb iPhone 3G
    iPhone OS 3.0
    O2 network and not jailbroken

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

Just checked on my iPhone 3G 8GB, running 3.0 - not jailbroken.
    Exactly as the OP states, as soon as i add a 2nd contact on a new message, it switches to Group MMS.

God Damn!

Just checked on my iPhone 3G 8GB, running 3.0 - not jailbroken.
    Exactly as the OP states, as soon as i add a 2nd contact on a new message, it switches to Group MMS.

God Damn!

Thanks for the reply and at least I know its not limited to just my handset

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Running 16GB iPhone 3G here on 3.0 and not jailbroken, can't recreate this. I haven't fiddled with tethering at all.

Basically what I'm doing is New Message -> Select two/more contacts. Doesn't change to MMS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

OP, is Settings > Messages > Show Subject Field On or Off?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,176 Mod ✭✭✭✭vinnycoyne

Didn't happen to me either when I tested.

Did you happen to copy/paste rich (formatted) text into the Messages app? That might cause it to switch into MMS mode...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Hi I just had a look, 8gig iPhone on 3.0 and jailbroken. Doesn't change to MMS for more than one contact.

Not tethered or using jellymms.

Thanks for the replies again.
    OP, is Settings > Messages > Show Subject Field On or Off?

This setting is off (default)

Didn't happen to me either when I tested.

Did you happen to copy/paste rich (formatted) text into the Messages app? That might cause it to switch into MMS mode...

No copying or pasting. Switches automatically after the second contact is selected and before any text is written. Tested by sending a few characters plain text and yes being charged for MMS.

Tested it several times selecting various mobile telephone contacts and happens each time (when MMS enabled in settings). Restarted iPhone to make sure not temporary bug and disabled / reactivated MMS in settings and still recreates bug.

Anyone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭jammer84

Have you tried restoring the phone with just OS 3.0 installed and no other applications/settings changed?

edit: Maybe it is a third party app or setting that is causing this and it may not be the OS.

May try this later but just got another response on the O2 forums from a user with the same fault in the last few mins. Will wait a while to see any common settings or apps etc which may be causing this.

Would recommend eveyone check though to be sure before you get a massive bill for MMS messages!

• Advertisement

Have just checked with 2 of my work colleagues - they get the same happening on their phones - automatically switches to New Group MMS as soon as they add the second contact.

Have just checked with 2 of my work colleagues - they get the same happening on their phones - automatically switches to New Group MMS as soon as they add the second contact.

Can you let me know if any of them do or do not have tethering enabled?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 ggregg

I have 2 iPhones. Both do 2 different things. I got into apple this morning before I read your comments and they were notified by o2 about this. It is as I was told a problem with the data account. If you updated in first day or 2 of 3.0 release it will give you group mms for multiple text messages. I was told tomanualy change the cellular data info om my phone. I did this and now both work great. I can send you the info if you need it.

ggregg wrote: »
    I have 2 iPhones. Both do 2 different things. I got into apple this morning before I read your comments and they were notified by o2 about this. It is as I was told a problem with the data account. If you updated in first day or 2 of 3.0 release it will give you group mms for multiple text messages. I was told tomanualy change the cellular data info om my phone. I did this and now both work great. I can send you the info if you need it.

Thanks for the post and would be delighted if you could post the instructions here so that others with the same issue can fix.

thanks again
    philip

Thanks ggreg. If you could post the details it would be great.
    I'm on Vodafone network and had to input the data network settings manually anyways - is it a case of taking them out.... restarting the phone, then inputting them again?

I was only told about o2 settings. I will try my VODAFONE sim and settings and get back to you.

Thanks again and please post the O2 Ireland settings if you have them handy.

this is what worked for me on o2

Changed those settings (and restarted phone to be sure) and still having the same problem. After selecting second contact, it automatically switches to MMS group message.

• Advertisement

ggregg wrote: »
    this is what worked for me on o2

Not sure if it helps ggregg but it doesnt seem limited to O2 Ireland. One poster on the macrumors website claims he is having the exact same issue in Cape Town, South Africa.

Advertisement