Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Folding@Home for Trinity

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Cantab.

Remember folks, it's team number 116767.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭EGaffney

I got one!

My CPU may be on a laptop, it may be > 2 years old, and it may be producing enough heat to let me cook a rare steak, but it's not crashing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭real_ate

Thank you everyone for all your help and support on this! We have really picked up this team and we are now going from strength to strength because of your help! If we keep at this rate for another 7 days the prediction on Kakao says that we'll be at position 10,400 in the ranking! This simply could not be possible if it wasn't for our 2 new team members Eddhorse and gaffneep ( if anyone else has joined the team but isn't being shown on the rankings that means that they haven't submitted a finished work unit yet, keep folding and you'll be there! )

If we want to break the 10,000 mark within 7 days we need to get some more troops to join this cause, any luck on getting some friends to join anyone? I'm working on a friend of mine that has a quad core and might even be interested in doing some GPU folding, so i'll keep you all posted.

Thanks again you guys for the help and Happy Folding! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

things do go in circles... this was all discussed lots a few years back....
    http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=teampage&teamnum=39432

is the boards.ie team which used to have a few tcd people involved in

using labs for such applications was also discussed to death on this very forum if you search back :)

things do go in circles... this was all discussed lots a few years back....
    http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=teampage&teamnum=39432

is the boards.ie team which used to have a few tcd people involved in

using labs for such applications was also discussed to death on this very forum if you search back :)

I did try and search for some reference to folding but there was nothing.... do you have a link?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

Wow... I was away for a week and our team seems to have fizzled away :( you guys all still with me?

Also it seems that there is only the power of word-of-mouth that will get this team into the serious points range. any luck on anyone convincing their friends and family to join?

Also if you have 2 computers you can sign them both up and you can get more points for yourself and get yourself better in the team rankings ;)

anyway, let me know if you guys are still here!

Adios!

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭littlehedgehog

I'm still here, but my computer is no longer. I am working on getting it fixed though!

Jean wrote: »
    I'm still here, but my computer is no longer. I am working on getting it fixed though!

Oh man! thats really unfortunate! I hope you get it sorted out soon!

I've also recruited one more guy to the team as well! he has just started folding and he is going to get one of his friends to join so its looking good. Current predictions is that we're going to be at position 9500 within 30 days so keep up the good work!

Hi again everyone! I'd just like to thank all of you that have contributed to the TCD team ( 116767 ) because we have just today crossed an important milestone!

We are ( at the time of writing ) currently in position 9,994 in the league table! And our current prediction is that in 30 days we will be on position 7,300 which is getting very close to our target of 6,000.

Thank you all for contributing and also welcome to our new members!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭EGaffney

A toast!

I'll plug in the toaster.

Wow! things just seem to be getting better and better! I've been following the stats closely and we've just passed the 9000 mark!

Not only is the team doing very well but we have a lot of competition forming inside the team too! our 2 new members thedoktor and Coffee Ninja are cleaning up! They both are overtaking everyone in the team at an alarming rate! And within 24 hours will have overtaken all of our other active members: gaffneep, dmcg90 and Eddhorse.

Now remember folks, if you don't want to trail behind you can setup more than one computer with your name and team number and it will add to your current point flow! And also don't forget to get your friends joining, we haven't had a new team member in over a week now.

Well done everyone for adding to the strength of the team. Happy Folding!

PS. And as of the last update we have been predicted to be crossing the 6,000 mark within 30 days! Go Team!

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭C.D.

real_ate wrote: »
    Wow! things just seem to be getting better and better! I've been following the stats closely and we've just passed the 9000 mark!

Not only is the team doing very well but we have a lot of competition forming inside the team too! our 2 new members thedoktor and Coffee Ninja are cleaning up! They both are overtaking everyone in the team at an alarming rate! And within 24 hours will have overtaken all of our other active members: gaffneep, dmcg90 and Eddhorse.

Now remember folks, if you don't want to trail behind you can setup more than one computer with your name and team number and it will add to your current point flow! And also don't forget to get your friends joining, we haven't had a new team member in over a week now.

Well done everyone for adding to the strength of the team. Happy Folding!

PS. And as of the last update we have been predicted to be crossing the 6,000 mark within 30 days! Go Team!

12 days later and we have passed the 8,000 mark. Currently 7,925.. Think we need to get more people on board though as half the team is inactive.

C.D. wrote: »
    12 days later and we have passed the 8,000 mark. Currently 7,925.. Think we need to get more people on board though as half the team is inactive.

Well this is not unusual... Its quite normal to see a lot of people who have joined the team, submitted one work unit and then give up on the whole thing. But I do agree with your sentiment , we should get a lot more people involved.

One thing that might be good is if someone could go into LG12 in Trinity and put up a few posters, or even just around college on the notice boards. I'm currently living in the UK so I can't make it back in to put up any posters but that should get a lot of people on the team very quickly! Anyone any good at designing posters? ;)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Guys- if you're serious about this- what you really need to do is install a GPU client as well as (or instead of) a CPU client.

I've a totally crap computer at home- its almost 5 years old- but I invested in a graphics card- specifically so I could go GPU folding- and already have over 100,000 points built up here

There are normally far more processor cores on your graphics card than there are on your CPU- which is why a PS3 gets such a volume of work units done.........

Would there be merit in a Team Ireland- Boards/TCD/UCD/DCU/NUIM combined together to try and get somewhere?

Its all well and good getting into the top 6000- but its a lot easier to overtake the slower teams- than it is the more competitive teams in the higher rankings.

S.

smccarrick wrote: »
    Would there be merit in a Team Ireland- Boards/TCD/UCD/DCU/NUIM combined together to try and get somewhere?

I personally think that this sort of thing would be an impossible feat, having an "Irish" team would make people feel like their points aren't counting to much. There has been talk about having a sub-team system which I think would work very well in this case, allowing the Ireland team to be a federation of TCD/UCD/DCU etc. and allow people to participate in their own team just as before.

I agree with what you are saying about the GPU stuff but currently there is only a Beta version and its only out for windows. I'm a linux guy myself so that means i'm out and by all means I would like to see some GPU folders on the TCD team but I wouldn't go around pushing for it considering its still beta.

And with regards to competing with other people below the 6000 mark that shouldn't be a problem for TCD if we can get the word out there, when enough people get involved and then get their friends etc to get involved then this whole thing will snowball. At least thats what i'm hoping for ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Breizhoneg

Is this thing still alive, was it a good thing to add team member 116767 ?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Breizhoneg wrote: »
    Is this thing still alive, was it a good thing to add team member 116767 ?

I gave up a few years ago. I have my now decomissioned PC- with its 1.2kw PSU etc- sitting in dust sheeting in the attic- a project to show my 4 year old when he is a little older.

For me- while I was competitive- it was more about the hardware- and modding and overclocking- to see what I could get out of my limited resources.

I went down the full Thermaltake (aka the 4 foot tall model with interesting cooling features) route. I also tried to use GPU power more so than CPU power (to be honest- the CPU on this laptop is generations newer, faster, more efficient, cooler etc- than my PC ever was).

I don't know if the TCD team is still in existence- anyone I know who are actively folding, has bowed out........

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Breizhoneg

It is a bit like bitcoin mining.

Found team 39432 called boards.ie, looks like there is one who is really active there, so I will swap teams.

Not really doing it for the points, just as they say in Tesco advert, every little helps ;)

Advertisement