Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Folding@Home for Trinity

Options
  • 28-06-2009 11:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭

Hey everyone!

I'm just coming on here to announce the creation of a Folding@Home team for anyone from trinity, alumni or in fact anyone who wants to join ;)

If any of you don't know what folding@home is then there a great lot of information here: http://folding.stanford.edu/English/FAQ

Once you've downloaded the client and you're ready to start folding you will need to set your team number to 116767 which will make you join the TCD folding team.

If you want to see how the team is getting on just go to http://kakaostats.com/tr.php?t=116767 and check out how many teams we are passing out a day ( or how many teams are passing us out :p ).

We need all the help we can get if we want to bring those stats up to anything reasonable so get folding today!!!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭real_ate

Oh and just to let you know... My goal for this Folding@Home team is to make it ( at least ) into the top 6000 teams out there! That would mean that our team would make it to the really cool stats page here: http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/team_list.php?s=&p=60 .

We are currently ranked 11,816th which isn't so bad considering we're the 116,767th team to join! With a whole load of help we can easily bring our rank down to 6000 very soon!

Happy Folding!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,120 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Get the CS dept to throw it on their machines.

They are in no way concerned with power conservation (computers are left on in the locked ICT huts over the summer months) so I doubt they would even care.

Getting the CS department to do anything with those machines is like pulling teeth! I tried before but man were they hard work!

Does anyone here know anybody in the CS department that they might be able to convince? I'm also no longer in college ( as of last week, woot! ) so i won't be around to bug them on this ya know?

and on a separate note... do you fold Jonathan? ;) lol

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,120 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

real_ate wrote: »
    and on a separate note... do you fold Jonathan? ;) lol
    Nope. I don't pay the ESB bill at home. ;)

Jonathan wrote: »
    Nope. I don't pay the ESB bill at home. ;)

There must be a way to schedule it to only come on for a little time during the day? that way you could add as much as you wanted and every little helps ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭EGaffney

This looks like a good cause. I've been looking for something to which I can donate my CPU cycles since I stopped looking for Mersenne primes, and it seems a bit more beneficial than Seti@home.

EGaffney wrote: »
    and it seems a bit more beneficial than Seti@home.

I definitely agree with you there ;) It will take a very long time to get the results that they need by doing this folding but at least you're guaranteed to get the results eventually! Who knows about those little green men chatting back to us! :D

EGaffney wrote: »
    I've been looking for something to which I can donate my CPU cycles

Oh and i hope to see you on the trinity team soon! ;) its been a bit lonely since a lot of people dropped out... see the stats here: http://kakaostats.com/t.php?t=116767

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭littlehedgehog

Jeanius = Me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Cantab.

Get the CS dept to throw it on their machines.

They are in no way concerned with power conservation (computers are left on in the locked ICT huts over the summer months) so I doubt they would even care.

Sorry. Too late... Those machines already have threads running in the background.

• Advertisement

I use Boinc. My Quad-core 3GHz, 4 gigs of RAM is put to good use I can tell you. It's like having a 60 Watt light bulb on 18 hours a day.

Cantab. wrote: »
    I use Boinc. My Quad-core 3GHz, 4 gigs of RAM is put to good use I can tell you. It's like having a 60 Watt light bulb on 18 hours a day.

why to you tease me so! ;) I have a similar setup and its working pretty nice for Folding, if we ganged together we could take over the world!! :P lol

anyway, in all seriousness, its better for people to be involved in projects like this for the greater good than for them not to be. And in all fairness it doesn't really matter what "Greater Good" you're working for :)

I'm really just a bit of a stats freak and would love to see the TCD team get up there with the bigger teams ya know! Don't suppose anyone has a good idea to get the word of this team out there no?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Can i connect to your team using my playstation 3?

I read the link you sent, but still not sure if you can connect to certain teams.

Actually a quick google got this bad screenshot tutorial on how to connect to your team with you PS3. Ill be helping and folding later.

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardwarecanucks-f-h-team/16288-quick-guide-using-your-ps3-folding-home.html

eddhorse wrote: »
    I read the link you sent, but still not sure if you can connect to certain teams.

Well the way that you connect to a particular team is you just add the team's number to your client's settings. This is described in the link that you provided in step 4: Change Identity Settings. The way to do it is go to the settings window -> Current Channel -> Identity and then you will be able to change your donor name ( to your nickname ) and you will be able to "Join an existing team"

Our team number is 116767 so once you put that into your client you will have joined the TCD team!

Hope that works for you ;) let me know if you're having trouble.

why to you tease me so! ;) I have a similar setup and its working pretty nice for Folding, if we ganged together we could take over the world!! :P lol

anyway, in all seriousness, its better for people to be involved in projects like this for the greater good than for them not to be. And in all fairness it doesn't really matter what "Greater Good" you're working for :)

I'm really just a bit of a stats freak and would love to see the TCD team get up there with the bigger teams ya know! Don't suppose anyone has a good idea to get the word of this team out there no?

It would be kind of cool if there was a Trinity cloud. We could use existing software tools (such as BOINC). There are plenty of researchers around College who need computing power every once in a while. I think faffing around with protein folding and prime number searching (as I do) is a waste when the computing power could be put to more immediate use within College as opposed to outside College (College do after all pay the ESB bill).

It's not a technical problem though -- someone has to lead such an initiative. We could even make money by hiring out cpu cycles to people outside College.

There are state-of-the-art servers just ticking over in the O'Reilly building. And literally thousands of CPUs are lying idle across College.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

It's not a technical problem though -- someone has to lead such an initiative. We could even make money by hiring out cpu cycles to people outside College.

Get to it Cantab. You seem enthusiastic about it, who better to lead the charge?

It would be kind of cool if there was a Trinity cloud.

Eh.... when it comes to a "Cloud" in trinity thats actually done already. Trinity are a major backbone of the European Grid, i think that they might even be organising some of it. When you compare cloud computing to "The Grid" its like comparing the computer on my phone with a Cray super computer! they are 2 completely different architectures and work well for their particular uses but the Grid would kick Cloud Computing's ass!! :p

So if you really *needed* some processing power you can apply for space on the grid.

So in the same way Folding@home is good for its current usage, doing computations that people don't feel are worth spending loads of money on. But in the process they can come up with interesting things that they didn't know, and although its not feasible to put a massive super computer to this work we are helping to further science and it is worth the effort.

Eh.... when it comes to a "Cloud" in trinity thats actually done already. Trinity are a major backbone of the European Grid, i think that they might even be organising some of it. When you compare cloud computing to "The Grid" its like comparing the computer on my phone with a Cray super computer! they are 2 completely different architectures and work well for their particular uses but the Grid would kick Cloud Computing's ass!! :p

So if you really *needed* some processing power you can apply for space on the grid.

So in the same way Folding@home is good for its current usage, doing computations that people don't feel are worth spending loads of money on. But in the process they can come up with interesting things that they didn't know, and although its not feasible to put a massive super computer to this work we are helping to further science and it is worth the effort.

And I've got a quad core sitting on my desk. How do I contribute to this project? I'd prefer if my CPU was going to Trinity and not some random do-gooder affair.

I don't think there's any project in Trinity where non-expert people can contribute their CPU cycles.

There are state-of-the-art servers just ticking over in the O'Reilly building. And literally thousands of CPUs are lying idle across College.
    Using idle CPU cycles costs money though.

And I've got a quad core sitting on my desk. How do I contribute to this project? I'd prefer if my CPU was going to Trinity and not some random do-gooder affair.

I don't think there's any project in Trinity where non-expert people can contribute their CPU cycles.

Eh... when you say "How do i contribute to this project?" what project are you talking about? if you are talking about Folding@Home it is very easy to get set up and there is a lot of info on http://folding.stanford.edu/ but if you are talking about contributing to the Grid I'm afraid that is simply impossible. I'm afraid thats just the way it works.

And i personally wouldn't refer to the folding@home project, which is run out of Stanford, as a "random do-gooder affair". Is this who you were referring to?

• Advertisement

Using idle CPU cycles costs money though.

Yes it is, and that is a big deal when a large organisation is making a decision to involve all of their computers in things like this. However when it comes to us it is a simpler decision, more cut and dry as to weather you can afford to donate the CPU cycles and the ESB ;)

And its also simply not true that there are loads of Servers in the CS department that are just being used for nothing. There is a lot of research being done on them, albeit not every second of every day but they are production machines and cannot just give away CPU time so easily. I know because I was allowed to use one for 2 weeks once, and the CS department were VERY protective of their machines ( and rightly so ).

The Folding@home project is more suited for individuals who are interested in providing their own CPU cycles and although it would be great for organisations to provide it for all of their computers it is infinitely less likely that they will do it. And this is very understandable.

Yep seems to have worked, had to change to advanced expert mode to get to the team name.

Current work unit = p3461_ProG_hpin
    Core = ScEARD2 1.40.93520

I'll fold when i can, its all for the better good !

By the way i'd drop a link over to the Playstation forum for more help if i was you !

By the way i'd drop a link over to the Playstation forum for more help if i was you !

Thanks again for joining the team! ;) and about dropping a link in the Playstation forum, i'm not sure if its the right place for it... The team that I set up is named Trinity College Dublin so thats why i posted in this forum, plus i don't own a playstation so i'm like a fish out of water over there;)

Any chance you could recommend the team? both to that part of the forum and also to some of your friends... cos this is where the fun part starts, we get to compete with each other to get to the top of the folding table within the team and also get to compete together to get to the top of the folding team table.

happy folding, and i hope to see you passing me out for first place in the team soon ;)

No probs, ill leave it running to complete the first one tonight at 4:25 am.

And as for the link to the playstation section :
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=60921902#post60921902

Im sure there will be a few to join in.

Ed

No probs, ill leave it running to complete the first one tonight at 4:25 am.

And as for the link to the playstation section :
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=60921902#post60921902

Im sure there will be a few to join in.

Ed

Thanks man! you are a star! ;)

I'll sign up for this in the morning seeing as it's for Trinity. Beats searching for prime numbers.

I'll sign up for this in the morning seeing as it's for Trinity. Beats searching for prime numbers.

Thanks Cantab! its good to have you on the team! :D

Do you have a link to see the team stats ?

I can view it on the PS3 but dont know where to look from the office?

Found Here :

http://kakaostats.com/ad.php?col=6&search=eddhorse

Li-
    ne Donor Team Project RankingTeam Ranking Points Current 24 Hs Total
    1 Eddhorse Trinity College Dublin 898,844 886,162 772,762 592,644 5 251

• Advertisement

Do you have a link to see the team stats ?

Well there are 3 main ways to see your stats, each one has its benefits but their coolness is very measurable ;)

The least cool : http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=teampage&teamnum=116767
    Good points: includes every team that has signed up
    Bad points: doesn't graph any results, is always down because of the amount of connections to it.

Medium coolness: http://kakaostats.com/tr.php?t=116767
    Good points: starts to graph the results so you can see how well we're doing. shows predictions of where you will be in the rankings in a day , week and month.
    Bad points: the interface is clunky and hard to understand, most of the interesting pages are hidden in dropdown menus at the top of the page. Only graphs and lists the first 14000 teams ( which isn't a problem to us any more, but considering there are a total of 161131 active teams that's quite important to some people ).

Most cool: http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/team_list.php?s=&p=60
    Good points: most cool graphs. Cleanest interface. Nice prediction method. really good team spirit building ( we can see clearly how good we are doing against each other ).
    Bad points: there is only one that i can think of and that is : it only graphs and lists the top 6000 teams, which is a major problem for us :(

That's my little guide to F@H stats. Like I said before our goal is to get onto the stats site that i call "Most Cool" above, this would be pretty impressive if we got there. Right now the "Medium Coolness" site says that we will be ranked 9,500th in 30 days so we still have a long way to go if we want to make it to 6,000.

So if we get our friends to join this team and get them to get their friends it shouldn't take too long.

in the mean time, happy folding!

Advertisement