Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Twitter WTF

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭givyjoe81

Fair enough, but Twitter - unlike Facebook - isn't all about people you would meet in real life. It allows people to talk to and converse with peers they might never otherwise be able to engage with.

Not too big up on what its all about, iv just been reading in papers and other sources what the these 'celebrity goons' seem to be drivelling on about.

Engaging over distance as you said, yeah great, but aside from the whole Iranian thing so far, iv heard nothing but sh1te that makes me scratch my head and wonder have people gone mad.

Im really not a fan of any of the networking sites to be fair, random people sending friend requests etc, and there's people who deem their bebo page top secret, im no stalker, but wtf are you hiding in there!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Not too big up on what its all about, iv just been reading in papers and other sources what the these 'celebrity goons' seem to be drivelling on about.
    Well, far be it from the media to pick up on the populist, lowest common denominator of anything :)
    Im really not a fan of any of the networking sites to be fair, random people sending friend requests etc, and there's people who deem their bebo page top secret, im no stalker, but wtf are you hiding in there!!
    I used to be the same way, but after trying it out I have to admit to having come around. It still depends on what the network is and what I get out of it, but the idea is one I can get down with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

You know it's not really Twitter I have any problem with...it certainly has it's place...it's the way it's being swooned about in the media as this new miracle cure for the planet or something, how a DJ, host or newsreader can't get through 2 minutes of chat without mentioning it at least once, and how commericial entities that have no real need for the service are putting "Follow Us" links on their webshop pages...why do I want to talk to pixmania or ebay or some other shop trying to sell me something? This insipid move by commercial concerns to use Twitter to their advanatge in terms of marketing is what has apparently blighted Myspace and is slowly doing the same to Facebook...fair enough, shilling is as old as the net itself but it still pisses me off.

So Twitter on to your hearts' content....but please refrain from telling everyone else about it or requesting that we follow you...not all of us really want to.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,060 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Twitter is a zeitgeist.. probably the best there is.

That's why the meeja big it up, because they use it to measure what people are showing an interest in at any given time so they can adjust their own marketing techniques accordingly.

I hate it myself

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Twitter saved my arse. Twice.

As already said, if you're finding people's updates boring, you're following the wrong people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Twitter actually gets pretty interesting if you know what to do with it. I think its just because Twitter themselves dont understand the platform.

Twitter at the moment is in the process of building good database of useful links. The power of a retweet is already evident, and some of the time, news spreads faster on Twitter than on Google.

Also, the fact that it has real-time search for the tweets means that you're able to able to get relevant search results , and you can gauge an opinion based on those tweets.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Twitter is fantastic if you know what to use with it. You sign up and then it's like "what now" but when you get into the swing of things it's great. for example, i asked a question regarding Wimbledon today on Twitter, and got 4 answers within two minutes from my own friends on it, much more satisfying then going through google and other links. if i needed to find out about an event, or whats going on you can use the real time search to track whats happening. the michael jackson death spread like wildfire through twitter, and im pretty sure thats the first place most people heard about it. it is definately difficult to get into at first, but you just need to start following people who interest you, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Dankoozy

Lexus1976 wrote: »
    Why is twitter all over the radio, TV and papers. I cant understand how the press are giving it so much publicity. Its just another social networksite, so what if its the new fab! I dont want to read blogs about y list celebrites eating soup and reading a newspaper. Who cares!

I started off on Bebo many moons ago, after much ranting and raving I gave in to the Facebook phenomon. I've built up a sizeble friends base, added countless photo's and music files. Now Twitter arrives No fecking way am I going to move again and have my facebook account turn into one of those webpages on the dormant geocites site. Facebook, I'm here to stay!

facebook is a ****ing load of **** too. i cant decide which is worse. i used them both didn't take me long to realise they were ****

• Registered Users Posts: 45,266 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

galwayrush wrote: »
    I'm starting my own social network thingy, calling it,
    Talking Shíte

AH ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭AMixedBag

If twitter is for twits..
    Then whats bebo for? :confused:

I secretly am on bebo. Don't tell anyone. ssshhhh...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

AMixedBag wrote: »
    If twitter is for twits..
    Then whats bebo for? :confused:

I secretly am on bebo. Don't tell anyone. ssshhhh...

Bebo is ok for kids, but if you're over 22, that's creepy.::P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭AMixedBag

galwayrush wrote: »
    Bebo is ok for kids, but if you're over 22, that's creepy.::P

*phew*
    I won't release my real age. Ye might start thinking things..

just created the account to see the raid.. hate everythin about twitter

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I'm seeing the underwear lady from the RTE website! woo!

phasers wrote: »
    I use it to stalk celebrities

Facebook is ghey

It's not stalking when they allow you to follow them.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

It's not stalking when they allow you to follow them.
    Way to ruin it

phasers wrote: »
    Way to ruin it

Welcome. You could create an account for some massive celebrity and start following some minor celebrity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Whats twatter?

Advertisement