Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When you say "I dont drink" how do people react ?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭TheInquisitor

The reason people don't like non drinkers is

1). They are normally very boring , don't get involved with the group and have fun etc

2) They go home early because their "tired"

3) The next morning they tell you all the stupid things you did the night before. Possibly the most annoying thing ever!!

4) They go dancing less than a person that has been drinkin.

5) They are less likely to go back to mad house parties and also less likely to throw wild house parties

6) They are unlikely to score on a night out.

7) Did i say they are ridiculously boring?

I have done the whole no drinkin thing on a night out about 15-20 times. I made the effort to stay out the whole night and went dancing etc. Didn't charge my friends for driving them home because thats what FRIENDS do for all you cheapskates out there. And for people that know limerick i went sober to the lodge about 10 times. I deserve a medal i know.

8) Oh ya non-drinkers are normally cheap mangey feckers.

And they are the reasons why i normally run a mile when i meet a non drinker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

1). They are normally very boring , don't get involved with the group and have fun etc

3) The next morning they tell you all the stupid things you did the night before. Possibly the most annoying thing ever!!

5) They are less likely to go back to mad house parties and also less likely to throw wild house parties

I have done the whole no drinkin thing on a night out about 15-20 times. I made the effort to stay out the whole night and went dancing etc. Didn't charge my friends for driving them home because thats what FRIENDS do for all you cheapskates out there. And for people that know limerick i went sober to the lodge about 10 times. I deserve a medal i know.

Oh yeah, if there's one thing I hate, it's people who "are unlikely to score on a night out". Bastards. :mad:
    It really affects me. :mad: :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

TheInquisitor infracted for being a gimp

• Registered Users Posts: 14 outlander83

1)I am usually the life of the party,
    2)I only go home early when I have work the next day, remember what a job is moron?
    3)if you cant face how stupid you’ve been you shouldn’t be drinking in the first place.
    4)dancing isn’t much fun when the floor is full of drunkin morons struggling to stand let alone dance.
    5)I love going to house parties, especially all nighters, but I don’t have them at my place as I don’t want pin heads like you puking all over my home.
    6)I “score” more then your average, the difference being I don’t wake up in the morning next to something I wouldn’t fcuk in my right mind.
    7)so your idea of boring is someone who remembers the night before.
    8)I make around a grand a week and quite freely spend it too.

And I have never had a friend charge me for bringing me home, I wouldn’t consider them a friend if they did. So I assume you mean you only drive home with your drunk friends. Well done, drink driving on top of everything else.

Congratulations you could be the dumbest human being on the face of the planet

• Registered Users Posts: 14 outlander83

nice one dave, good to see you guys have standards. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭TheInquisitor

1)I am usually the life of the party,
    2)I only go home early when I have work the next day, remember what a job is moron?
    3)if you cant face how stupid you’ve been you shouldn’t be drinking in the first place.
    4)dancing isn’t much fun when the floor is full of drunkin morons struggling to stand let alone dance.
    5)I love going to house parties, especially all nighters, but I don’t have them at my place as I don’t want pin heads like you puking all over my home.
    6)I “score” more then your average, the difference being I don’t wake up in the morning next to something I wouldn’t fcuk in my right mind.
    7)so your idea of boring is someone who remembers the night before.
    8)I make around a grand a week and quite freely spend it too.

And I have never had a friend charge me for bringing me home, I wouldn’t consider them a friend if they did. So I assume you mean you only drive home with your drunk friends. Well done, drink driving on top of everything else.

Where the hell did i say i drink drive? I said that when i have gone into town and not drunk, i drove and gave my friends a free lift home unlike what a character on the first page did when he charged all his friends for driving them home. Now who's the boring moron.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Take it easy outlander, that's not allowed either !

No more hostility please gents

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭BornToRun88

I'd be one of these occasional drinkers, like a drink every 10 months or so. However after a horrible experience with drink two weeks ago, im never drinking again. Why be pressured into doing something you're not happy to do?

In response to how people react! They think ur not normal for not drinking, they try convince u to drink and give off the impression it's the social thing to do

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Cool water

I hate to see people fall around the place after few drinks, it's definitely good thing not to drink. Just do what you believe is right.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Skapoot

Basically - it seems from this post that all the Non- drinkers you have been meeting

a) are not interested in going to house parties or staying out late because they have other activities and important things in their lives apart from drinking
    b) are not willing to spend 50euro a night drinking -

I dont see why you'd put a negative spin on this. Seems pretty healthy to me-That drinking for them is not the be all and end all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 WillWrite4Food

This has been an issue for me so many times! I'm a very occasional drinker, mainly because I'm not that keen on alcohol and I don't like being drunk. I have a couple of friends who either don't drink or drink very little and it's very easy (and fun) being around them, but I have another group of friends who do pretty much nothing but drink and it's meant that even though I used to be very close to them we've now drifted apart. One guy in particular just keeps pushing drink on me and we had a huge fight last year about it. He (while drunk) said "I don't know why I'm friends with you" because I wouldn't have a drink. Needless to say I was really really hurt and even though we worked it out I'm still quite mad about it. It really really annoys me when people just won't accept a "no" when they offer drink. To make things worse I actually can't drink at the moment because I'm on medication that makes it dangerous to take alcohol. Most of my friends don't know I'm on this medication and I don't want it to be public knowledge. I'm recently married and I'm throwing a party on Saturday and I just know I will be bombarded with "Ooooh you're pregnant!" all night when I refuse drinks. I should be looking forward to the party but because of that I'm not. For any drinker out there please please try not to pressure non-drinkers. You never know the reason why they're not drinking, it could be very personal and you could be making them feel awful by pushing for a reason. If a person says no just accept it and move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭BornToRun88

This has been an issue for me so many times! I'm a very occasional drinker, mainly because I'm not that keen on alcohol and I don't like being drunk. I have a couple of friends who either don't drink or drink very little and it's very easy (and fun) being around them, but I have another group of friends who do pretty much nothing but drink and it's meant that even though I used to be very close to them we've now drifted apart. One guy in particular just keeps pushing drink on me and we had a huge fight last year about it. He (while drunk) said "I don't know why I'm friends with you" because I wouldn't have a drink. Needless to say I was really really hurt and even though we worked it out I'm still quite mad about it. It really really annoys me when people just won't accept a "no" when they offer drink. To make things worse I actually can't drink at the moment because I'm on medication that makes it dangerous to take alcohol. Most of my friends don't know I'm on this medication and I don't want it to be public knowledge. I'm recently married and I'm throwing a party on Saturday and I just know I will be bombarded with "Ooooh you're pregnant!" all night when I refuse drinks. I should be looking forward to the party but because of that I'm not. For any drinker out there please please try not to pressure non-drinkers. You never know the reason why they're not drinking, it could be very personal and you could be making them feel awful by pushing for a reason. If a person says no just accept it and move on.

you couldn't have said it better! Why force drink on people that don't want it, hope that type are reading these comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

1) That depends on the person I have no problem havin fun with my friends when their drinkin. 2) I normally stay out the whole night ↲
    3) Most of the time im asked what stupid things they did when out. ↲
    4) Thats true but youre less self aware when youre drunk ive seen people cringe at their so called dancing.↲↲
    5) After my first year of college ive yet to see a mad house party after a night out and true we are unlikely to hold a house party but why would we want to? ↲
    6) Also true but have u seen the state of some people out, its kinda hard not to feel like your taking advantage of them. ↲
    7) Wow! you've gone to the lodge 10 times sober i do that like twice a week its probably the best club to go to sober i like it when its not packed to the rafter ↲
    8) I agree with u on the charging to get a lift home but we're not all mangey f**ckers just because we dont spend our money on destroying our liver.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭luckylucky

unreggd wrote: »
    In Ireland: You're a fvckin weirdo!!

Any other country in the world: Whatever....

Ireland more so yeah, but in most of western society tbh. It's really a sign of how a non-essential and often very destructive poisonous substance has woven itself so deep into soceity that's viewed as somehow essential and you're a wierdo for not taking part.

I'm at the age where I don't give 2 fks really what other people think tbh. My response to those who ask why I don't drink is that I drunk enough in 21 years to last me the rest of my lifetime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Deoir

***Please note, this poster annoyed me, hence the rant below

1) I'm nearly always the one suggesting a game of twister in my place at 3am coming out of a club, it's the people falling around the place that don't feel up to it cos they've overdone it.

2) Very rarely happens with me. I'm a firm believer in naps. If you can't have one before you go out, have one the next day after work. But unlike some people I can still go to work and be productive cos my head isn't "wrecked"

3) I'm a firm believer in "unless someone asks, don't say". I've done some stupid things in my time, I haven't had "I was drunk" to use as an excuse (as if it would explain climbing on a fence and singing about invading France) and I've been reminded of these stupid things plenty of times. The people that bring things up first are always given out to, just cos non drinkers get back the ability to speak faster than the people that drank to kill brain cells doesn't mean that they are trying to make you feel stupid. You did the stupid thing, face up to it, someone is going to mention it sooner or later.

4) I have a good few friends that don't drink, for one reason or another. The last time we were all together I don't think that we were off the dance floor for the night.

5) See point number 1. My place is always good for the après club, there is always something there, be it diet coke, wine or Belgian beer as well as an array of silly movies / games.

6) Any time I've gone out to score, I always have.

7) Did I say that you're ridiculously up your own pint?

I have never asked anyone for money if I've given them a lift home. I always park and make sure that they are in their house before I leave and I always make sure that they close the door behind them. I have found fivers stuffed in my car the next day after refusing to take money off people, I make a point of using that money to get ice cream or something for the next time I call over to that person’s house.

8) I have seen people declare that they are so broke, they snuck a naggin into the club cos they couldn't afford to drink in there. Then shamelessly flirt with people that they wouldn't give the light of day to normally so that they will buy them more drink. I'd much rather just spend my €10 - €15 on a few diet cokes, lucosades and the odd shirley temple and keep my dignity.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭lasair

I prefer not to be wasted and enjoy the night....People at home here do slag me over it on nght off "you would want to get off that water it doesn suit you" and stuff like that...
    At least I remember what I did last night and dont feel like a train wreck the following day..

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭VinnyTGM

I don't care what people think when I tell them, but most of the time they keep asking thinking that you are messing with them which is really annoying.
    And as above not drinking usually does mean less friends.

Funny down the line some of these alcoholics will have all sort's of trouble with their liver's and such.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Smokeymurphy

Non drinker and drinkers can be both equally as boring and annoying, its like two sides of a coin really.
    Not really much point in arguing, especially when 85% of this country drink, and also if you were to question a drunk person about drinking they'd for some reason want to start a fight?

I don't drink myself, at all.
    I used to drink a few years back but got bored, went to the gym, ate healthy, drank green teas and what have you, a year later after doing that every week, I had 2 pints out of curiosity and the whole "you're Irish, its in your culture to drink!!"and my stomach turned! Since then I just dont see the point,
    I think the pub is one of the most depressing places to be, its dark, smells and you have the lonely drunk men with the Guinness at the bar eyeballing any girl that walks past,including 16 year olds.

I don't mind people drinking, I still go out and I surprised myself when I got up onto the dance floor, I found that if you have a drink in your hand that you will rarely get asked about drinking, just get a soda water and sip on it, pretend its Vodka, im able to blend into the people around me, if everyone is getting drunk and stupid I can simply follow along with the banter till it reaches the point where everyone you have a conversation with is like "hEy mAN......ugh,,,I loVe yOu mAn, ......fart" (pint falls over, friend stares at it for a few minutes while you think to yourself, "im hungry, I may just leave")

When people ask me why I don't drink I just say "im going for the healthy option"
    "no, no seriously!" "bla bla bla"
    I hate the whole, "I respect that, I wish I could give up drinking (gulp of a beer)"

From my experience of nights out drinking and not, I can have equal amounts of fun and not be a burden to anyone, sure I safe a fortune!!

Seriously though, its not the whole drinking thing that's the problem, this country is very flawed in general,its the attitude of us people. I find most to be very insecure with themselves, some feel threatened about non drinkers, which usually springs up random posts from people who drink to slag non drinkers or anyone who does not agree with their lifestyle choice, I think there was evidence of that a few pages back :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Shmee

Smokeymurphy - nice post. Im the very same.

Your idea that there is alot of insecurity in Ireland is spot on. I came back from a trip to New York there a couple weeks ago and my god i forgot how unsettled people here are. In the states everybody is so sure of themselves and are very easy to talk to. Here though.... i duno... every1 seems to think there constantly being judged and try (often desperately) to be funny or something.

People..... grow a pair, relax, be sure of urself and enjoy life. . . and chase long term happyness.... not short term.

Oh and Gym ftw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 nahboisk

Yea i always get the same thing mainly the asking if I had a problem?!!

I just didnt like the feeling of being drunk and the inevitable hangover plus i only recently found out my intolerance to gluten which explains a lot as i was a beer drinker but having not drank for this long I will not go back I am the first up after a big party, generally the last top bed (after normally cleaning the house so as not to do it the next day) and i hardly ever miss a night out with friends.

I have one or two friends who get the whole thing but a few who repeatedly bring me a drink from the bar and say ah come on just the one Ive never seen you drinking. I just dont get why some people feel its a big deal not to drink. its kinda like not being a smoker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

i hate when you start seeing a girl and she tries to get all personal and deep by asking why you don't drink, in case she'll uncover some problem that she can help with. when the answer is "i just don't want to, never did, and never will" the reply is always along the lines "i'll have to get you drunk sometime."
    that's usually the point that i get up and go. maybe i should say something like "i'll have to get you to stay sober sometime"
    the pain in the ar5e is the bouncer that tells you to go away and have some coffee cos you're too drunk at the time to get into the club, like coffee will make a difference anyway. baxtards.
    oj and sprite in a pint glass. best drink ever!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭tbaymusicman

Like its the worst thing in the world the look on there faces you would think i rape wheelbarrows haha

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Cossax

i hate when you start seeing a girl and she tries to get all personal and deep by asking why you don't drink, in case she'll uncover some problem that she can help with. when the answer is "i just don't want to, never did, and never will" the reply is always along the lines "i'll have to get you drunk sometime."
    that's usually the point that i get up and go. maybe i should say something like "i'll have to get you to stay sober sometime"
    the pain in the ar5e is the bouncer that tells you to go away and have some coffee cos you're too drunk at the time to get into the club, like coffee will make a difference anyway. baxtards.
    oj and sprite in a pint glass. best drink ever!!

That bugs the hell outta me.
    "Better people than you have tried and failed miserably" is my usual reply, bit harsh but I'm sick to death of alcohol dependent sheep coming out with the same nonsense because I don't partake in their particular drug.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

Shock!

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭SuperCereal

Non drinker and drinkers can be both equally as boring and annoying, its like two sides of a coin really.
    Not really much point in arguing, especially when 85% of this country drink, and also if you were to question a drunk person about drinking they'd for some reason want to start a fight?

Seriously though, its not the whole drinking thing that's the problem, this country is very flawed in general,its the attitude of us people. I find most to be very insecure with themselves, some feel threatened about non drinkers, which usually springs up random posts from people who drink to slag non drinkers or anyone who does not agree with their lifestyle choice, I think there was evidence of that a few pages back :rolleyes:

Bravo, well said.

The drinking pressure in our culture led to even worse forms of bullying or perhaps it was just syptomatic, remember in the nineties and up til last year the keeping up with the jones attitude, what do you mean you dont have a BMW get a huge loan you can barely afford like the rest of us. Did you not go to Lanzarote, the Alps, New York and Paris last year? You uncultured pleb.

It's as if we never really left school, listen lads all the cool kids are doing it so if you want to be cool get and do it.

Now the monies gone and all we have left is poverty, booze and highly paid politicians. They said on TV last night in January one of the most popular searched items is 'Hangover Cures' but this ordinarily drops down the list for the other 11 months of the year, since Jan 2009 its been a top search item for 12 months. Drink til he is cute may now be replaced with drink til we are solvent.

I know Im only officially off booze since December 31st 2009 but in the Summer I was also sober and fun for six weeks, I loved being able to go out, dance with some amount of visible dexterity and still have a great sleep and productive morning. Maybe a tax relief could be put in place for non drinkers so we are more productive in work the next day?

Also important to note over Xmas Whelans on Camden St. were operating a free soft drink for designated drivers, they must be commended for such a pro non alcohol attitiude. I dont know if the policy is still in place but you just had to shake your car keys at the bar staff and your first soda was gratis. I always managed to get 2 or 3 free of a Tuesday dry night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭A quiet one

When I was in Ireland it was a problem, which was weird because within my own social circle it wasn't an issue. I didn't drink because I couldn't find anything I liked the taste of, but would happily sip out a taste, but another guy didn't drink, full stop. Amongst the rest there were huge variations in booze consumption so there was no real line of expectation.

Outside of that though and it got bad; "Have nothing to do with him, he must be gay" was the type of comment a few girls came out with and tried to physically drag them away to "save" them from me. And yes, many females, outside my immediate acquaintance had Trust issues with it.

Sometimes I'd meet someone and in the course of the time hear them talk about someone who doesn't drink and how they feel this way and that way about it, or they start making generalisations about non-drinkers and then, seeing as they think I'm obviously "sound" just flatten them with the news that I'm also teetotaller and ask if it has changed their mind about me.

I sometimes got the "Good for you" thing too, but that was usually for been a non-smoker too.
    I did find it a problem on a practical level because I found that after several minerals I would feel really really cold; Also at the time very few places served coffee; I did know of one such place and after a few of those I started to think; "Crikey, what I'd really, really like right now is a lovely tall glass full of nice fresh (full fat) milk.
    So I asked if I could get it;
    "Certainly Sir" goes off, chats with the manager, he shrugs, she came back and
    "How is that made?"
    She thought it was the name for a cocktail.
    On been understood she got it and then went around the whole circular shaped bar with it held high before handing it over.

In London, it was quiet different; people seemed to simply respect it, or better still, they don't seem to have pre-conceptions about what a person should or shouldn't be in this. But occasionally found it odd that an Irish person didn't drink booze.
    By that stage I was finding that it made me feel ill. Like a drink would leave me feeling like I had just been put headlong into the worst flu I had ever had. And just as bad, in the early hours of the morning, like around 3 or 4 I would be really hyper; Bursting with energy, but everyone else is out cold.
    Now I'm in mainland Europe; people react with incredulity to meeting an Irish non-drinker; otherwise, it wouldn't be a problem.
    I have wised up to not pointing out that when I was in London I had met 3 other Irish guys who also didn't drink, and even less than me. The usual reaction is "Oh, so there's 3 of you... out of how many million?"

I then try to explain that when I was in London, I knew very few guys at all. So for me to not know many guys yet still know those 3 is about ratios. But they're too busy getting over the shock to pay attention.
    In fact for my going away party we took over the upper floor of a fairly large pub, and apart from myself and the bar staff, there was only one other guy, which really emphasizes the odds being favourable for there been many more non-drinkers then expected.

But though they'll happily believe the number of women I knew (especially after my OH says she's managed to take me away from what she calls my "harem"), they will still disbelieve that an Irish person could be a non-alchi.
    I now simply point out that I'm too unaccustomed to booze and so can't deal with it. This they understand straight a way and don't judge me poorly over.

But it get tiring sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Seillejet

My first time posting in this group. I havent drank since November 18th (ireland vs France game) and had maybe drank four to five times in 2009.

Im glad the Christmas period is over though as it gets repetitive and boring saying why you are not drinking / dont drink. I have to say family and friends are fine, the worst are work colleagues and new acquintances. People that know me dont give a flying and generally respect it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Anton.Mamyko

Usually
    "Yeh Fagihh, geh dah inta yeh"
    LMAO'd at that for 2 minutes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 site

Hello everyone.

I am a male in mid 20s, I have never touched drink before. I have been reading some of the replies on these pages. The problem I think coming from all these cases is RESPECT. Have you ever wondered why cars are made in different coulours? The answer is simply because each person has a choice to pick whatever colour they want. The sales person will ask you which colour you want and then the car is ordered regardless of how bizzar the colour. This boils down to one thing RESPECT.
    Can you imagine going to a car sales person who says "would you not buy the red one", "ah go on buy the red one", "i cant understand why you wont buy it", "you must be a very boring person for not buying that car". How many cars would be sold??? NONE because the sales person would be sacked for their carry on, yet we non drinkers have to put up wilth almost discrimination because we say "we dont drink".

I have a bebo page it is very handy for keeping in touch with friends but have you ever noticed the pictures that people post on their bebo pages. They are not able to stand, walk and barely able to stay awake they are so drunk. If you do not live this way of life you are called "odd" or "boring".
    I question is this a way of life, or a mere lonely existance for people who are not strong enough to have their own mind. Is there any shame out there? Are there any standards out there? How far will people go to get "friends". If you have to go this far to get them are they REALLY FRIENDS?

This line of behavour is now a way of life with colleges giving a whole week in the academic yr to this, called "RAG WEEK". Yet how many peoples lives have been lost through drink driving? How many families have been torn apart because of their behaviour? How many women have suffered brutal relationships because of drink? How many people can never walk resulting from accidents relating to drink? When you are drinking with mates you are on top of the world, everyone is around you, but if you get bankrupt or in trouble because of drink YOU ARE ALONE.
    When we think of these cases it should make people afraid of drink, instead we drink more.

Please dont get me wrong I have no problem with people who drink. Drink is ok in moderation, but how many people think of MODERATION when they drink.

I will end by saying that in this case your first duty is to yourself, RESPECT yourself, RESPECT others and only do what you feel happy doing regardless what others think.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16 SAFC

erm...never experieneced the problem of worrying about how ppl react as i do drink. lol

Advertisement