Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When you say "I dont drink" how do people react ?

Options
  • 27-06-2009 1:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭

I always tell people when they ask me to out on the booze
    "Oh no sorry i dont drink" and i always get the same reaction :confused: ohh
    and i can almost see a thought bubble above there head where they assume that means i must be an alcoholic because i am irish and i dont drink.

Now i drink sometimes at like weddings or what ever special ocasions
    but it always anoys me how most people think in this country.

Do you get a simaler reaction or is just me :rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

I still go out.
    At the start of the night: "Really? Really? No, but really? You must. It must be annoying for you to be surrounded by us happy drunks."
    At the middle/end of the night: "Jeeshush, man, I really reshpec djat"
    It's not a big deal. Imaginary thought bubbles = you putting words into their minds... get over it. Drink/don't drink: get over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭thusspakeblixa

Usually
    "Yeh Fagihh, geh dah inta yeh"

or

"Is that because of your religion?"

or else they think I'm foreign/a really quiet reserved type

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

"Are you sick?"

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Skapoot

Why arent you drinking!?? you have to drink. Come on . Just drink. Why arent you drinking?? Youre really lettin down the team. I thought you belonged to team session. Come onnnnn. You should drink!! Go on, have one of my cans. etc etc.

Sooner or later I have to come up with an excuse so I won't have to deal with it!

Well, actually 2 weeks ago I had a 48 hour bug thus wasnt drinking. When I gave my excuse for not drinking the response was "sick? that must mean youre pregnant. shes not drinking cos shes pregnant..."

lol. jesus its harder saying no to drink than it is saying yes!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

haha yea god its funny i always get that your letting us down line, some times i just get a drink and sit it there to shut people up lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

In Ireland: You're a fvckin weirdo!!

Any other country in the world: Whatever....

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭cue

Depends on the person and their attitude towards drink. Some people see it as a personal attack on their own drinking habits. Some people don't care. Some are kinda interested in why I don't drink. Its more about where they are at really.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

I find the usual responce is shock at first, then respect! When I say I dont drink what I usually get is 'jaysus, fair play to you! I dont know how you go out without drinking, I'd love to be able to do that, etc etc'.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

I find older people generally react pritty strange like a friend of my mother replied to me when he asked if i do go out drinking with me friends and i said no i dont drink really he was "there is nothing wrong with that !" i was ok ... i know (was the way he said it had to be there i guess ) his face was like this -> :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 14 outlander83

I find the usual responce is shock at first, then respect! When I say I dont drink what I usually get is 'jaysus, fair play to you! I dont know how you go out without drinking, I'd love to be able to do that, etc etc'.

yea i get a very false version of that, they usually ask why and because its due to childhood family reasons i prefer not to say. then i notice i usually dont get invited to any event where there will be alcohol and anyone getting drunk (which is just about every event in ireland).

this really annoys me as i dont think its wrong to drink i just dont think its for me. people always seem to think im judging them but im not, iv never even gone out with a girl who was tee total.

• Advertisement

Not drinking = friends not wanting you around any more.

Its ****! The more drinking you do the more popular you are. I hate the fact that if I really want to give up drinking, I have to deal with not having a busy social life anymore :cool:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,365 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Well, I drink about 5 or 6 times a year, but mostly don't drink socially, just Christmas and that. Sometimes it's easier to hint that I don't drink at all...some people immediately lock on with a laser beam if they spot a non-alcoholic drink.

'So, you're not drinking, then?'
    'Why?'
    'But you're Irish, omgz!!111!!!!!111'
    'I don't trust people who don't drink'
    'It's only beer, jaysus'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

Skapoot wrote: »
    Not drinking = friends not wanting you around any more.

Its ****! The more drinking you do the more popular you are. I hate the fact that if I really want to give up drinking, I have to deal with not having a busy social life anymore :cool:

Buddha what kind of friends do/did you have?

I'm a big drinker and I'd say a fair few people I head out with on the town don't drink. It's not whether they drink or not its whether or not they're fun to be around.

You must just be a boring person.

OneArt wrote: »
    Buddha what kind of friends do/did you have?

I'm a big drinker and I'd say a fair few people I head out with on the town don't drink. It's not whether they drink or not its whether or not they're fun to be around.

You must just be a boring person.

Yeah I must be a boring person.

Anyways, the friends I still have all drink to excess. 3-4 times a week maybe more. All the social settings are based around alcohol. If I dont drink, I won't get invited to drinking situations.

And If I dont want to drink I have to stay away from drink. The lure of it is too much pour moi. Out of sight out of mind.

Anyone else have this problem?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭Ashlinggnilsia

People simply dont believe me and give me that yeah right look... spose thats cos im only 21....funny thing is i did drink when i was 16/17 then stopped no particular reason and twas good craic i just dont feel the need to i can have a good night without it and still go out with people on nights out....they are always like ah go on drink tonight and trying to buy me drinks!!!!! It only bothers me when people keep doin the aul mrs doyle on it!

People simply dont believe me and give me that yeah right look... spose thats cos im only 21....funny thing is i did drink when i was 16/17 then stopped no particular reason and twas good craic i just dont feel the need to i can have a good night without it and still go out with people on nights out....they are always like ah go on drink tonight and trying to buy me drinks!!!!! It only bothers me when people keep doin the aul mrs doyle on it!
    I'm the same

I only drank certain drinks I liked the taste of, and did it to be a rebel before I was 18 :P

Now I dont drink anymore, and yes, the Mrs Doyle factor is so annoyin! Worst of all I get it from the same friends all the time!

Sake!!

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Noodleworm

I get a mix of loads of things, surprise, people trying to convince me I should, the whole "fair play to you".
    to be honest I haven't told many people. I don't bring it up unless I absolutely have to. My close friends are fine with it and know they can drink around me (although I discourage them getting to the puking/falling over stage), my boyfriend stopped drinking a few months before we started going out so he's fine with me.

Generally my age who I know but aren't that close are the most annoying. They either try to persuade me, or act really weird and uncomfortable. I don't like when people feel they need to apologise to me when they mention drinking... They act like there talking about walking to a person with no legs.

One reason a few people said they dont like bein around me when they are drunk because I will remember all the things they did unlike them!! Bein out with drunk people all the time doesnt bother me that much but in the last while like i would notice that i would be wrecked tired and the would all be still happy out!! I think half the reason for me that I dont drink its kinda like im not that thirst i cant drink anything when im not thirsty so why would i drink one pint or something and they i cant drive or anything I wouldn't drink more than a glass of coke on a night out anyway!! Fair hate though the way im like the taxi now its driving me mad...I wouldnt mind but I think people should have the decency to ask me If they can have a lift and not expect one!!

I charge my mates for petrol!

Its not free! But its cheaper for them than gettin a taxi, and they'd rather give me their monies, woop

i know yeah but like well some of them offer but what pissed me off was i was wrecked cos i dont drink and all and hadnt been out but the bf was and was at a session at a house in the next estate so he came over to my house after and brought two friends with him who didnt even ask if it was ok for a life and at this stage it was like 4 in the morning and we were going out to his house and i was in some mood that they expected me to drop them out without asking me especially as their houses wernt even on the way i just wanted to go to his house and go to bed!! Then again i would class them as his friends not mine!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭Ger the man

Anyways, the friends I still have all drink to excess. 3-4 times a week maybe more. All the social settings are based around alcohol. If I dont drink, I won't get invited to drinking situations.

And If I dont want to drink I have to stay away from drink. The lure of it is too much pour moi. Out of sight out of mind.

If they dont respect your right not to drink then they aint real freinds. I went through the same a couple of years ago when I started to exercise and go to the gym, I now have a body that I am very proud of. The more I thought about it, the more I realised I didnt have in common with them, I dont miss them in the slightest bit. Stick to your guns!

A buddy of mine quit drinking years ago to work hard at the gym and his karate. He went through the same too, he now owns his own dojo and is doing well. He used to get the same: ' Why are you not drinkin? , That karate is a load of crap etc'. The same people constantly complain about being over weight and about their jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭tinyfox

I usually get the confused look, followed by a million questions

1. Oh my god your pregnant!!!!

2. Poor pet, are you sick?

3. You got stuck being designated dessie huh?

and on and on and on until finally a reluctant "fair play at your age (26) putting up with all us happy drunks etc etc and the inevitable "any chance of a lift home" or worse the people who dont even have the decency to ask and just assume i'll bring them cos they're some distant friend of a cousin of a my bf's dog :mad:

This is about people who dont know me, my family and friends are great about it and it makes me feel better knowing i can see my friends home at the end of the night and regal them with their antics the following day :D

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭kgpixels

Gave it up about 6yrs ago, was on it for past 6mths, and now of it again for good I think(hope). Its always a tough one to explain though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭tlev

Just tell em you are driving. Easiest thing to do. Worst is the barman giving me funny looks when I ask for water :D. I will have the occasional drink of wine but I've never been drunk and I hate beer! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,320 ✭✭✭jasonb

I don't drink and over the years I've got all the reactions listed above. The 'well fair play to ya' is a bit weird to be honest. Why do I get respect for not drinking? What it really means is 'I couldn't put up with going out without drinking, so I don't know how you do it'. The problem is people who drink assume that a night out for me ( not drinking ) must be the same as the occasional times when they can't drink for whatever reason and really miss it. Of course, I'm not missing anything, it's a normal night out for me!

The other weird thing is that sometimes people just don't trust me when they find out I don't drink, and nearly always ( and I hate to use generalisations ) it's a female who doesn't trust me. I've never understood that? They'd rather trust someone who's drinking and could end up drunk and not responsible for their actions?

Like someone above said, I've no problem or hang up with not drinking, and I've no problem or hangup with other people drinking ( as long as they are rude / obnoxious to me! ), but drinkers do seem to have issues with me not drinking. Though I am reliable for a lift home. I guess the only hangup I have about it is when people are stupid / rude / agressive / unsafe etc. and it's 'forgiven' because sure, they have a few drinks on them.

I only ever drink water in pubs, I might have 4 or 5 pints of tap water with ice during a night out, it's free and it's good for me...

J.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Thomas828

In Walthamstow, the part of London where I live, I've never had a problem. My friends know I'm teetotal and I don't go to pubs. Also, a lot of my relatives are teetotal. Besides, about half the population of Walthamstow are Moslems, and they're far more likely to be addicted to coffee.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 carriec87

I usually get asked am i preggers... Or else they tell me i am...

Couple of xmas ago, myself and d bf went for a dew drinks wth a few friends... I was drinkin 7up only cause i was dying from d night before... I was a bit heavier that what i was when we last seen them, and with me on the 7up, i was asked all night when am i due etc etc...

I just don't think that's on at all...

I wouldn't usually drink... Just don't like it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭Stones85

I was mad for drinking and all the ****e that goes along with it, decided 3 weeks ago not to touch a drop to see how I go. Usual BS from friends.

Thought I wouldn't be able to resist the temptation of a night out, so tried there at the weekend, it was good craic, most people were to pissed to remember I'm not drinking.

Shamefully I used drink as a crutch and dutch courage to dance or talk to girls...... but I have more craic and more fun without the drink. Which to me was really weird, I don't know why I thought I needed it.

I just tell the lads ti fck off if they get pushy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

I almost always get asked "why" when I tell people I don't drink. I don't usually mind answering, but normally they're asking in a very sincere way. I tell them it's a variety of factors, including that I usually drive when I go out, I don't like the taste of most alcohol and I grew up with an alcoholic father and my experiences with him put me off to drinking.
    And most people accept that explanation.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭cathysworld

They keep trying to force drink onto me but I am strong and can say fcuk off! :)

Advertisement