Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cask Conditioned O'Hara's Red in the Bull and Castle.

Options
  • 24-06-2009 1:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭

The Bull & Castle in Christchurch are introducing cask conditioned ale and you can taste the results this Saturday the 27th of June.

The first cask will be O'Hara's Red, but they hope to get casks of other Irish beers and make this a regular thing. Pop along and show your support by helping us to empty the cask in record time.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

Thats excellent news. :D
    Hopefully I'll go as fast as the last one. Gona try and make the commute to help empty the bugger!!!
    Hope this leads to many more in the future.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭dereko1969

Given how quickly the last one went do we have an ETA of the cask being opened/cracked? Or should i just mooch around outside on Saturday morning? Are they showing the Lions match?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Oh sweet:)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,487 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Only one cask, what's that 90~ pints? Won't go very far on a popular pub on a saturday night where the main attraction is the alternative beer selection. What time is it being opened at? As it might only last an hour, it would be good to know when its being opened.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,821 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Only one cask, what's that 90~ pints?
    Less.
    Won't go very far on a popular pub on a saturday night where the main attraction is the alternative beer selection.
    It'll be downstairs in the restaurant, which might slow things down a bit.
    What time is it being opened at?
    We don't know, but I'll try and find out.
    Edit: by 2pm, we're told.
    As it might only last an hour,
    It won't. The last (eagerly awaited and leaky) one served 24 hours and 17 minutes on a busy weekend.

• Advertisement

Lads are O'Haras but in a hand pump or is it gravity served?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Nice, I would love to get in for this. I will see if I can.

oblivious wrote: »
    Lads are O'Haras but in a hand pump or is it gravity served?
    I'm guessing it's from an engine. Not that it makes a difference, yeh feckin' beardie :D

BeerNut wrote: »
    I'm guessing it's from an engine. Not that it makes a difference, yeh feckin' beardie :D

It does, I feel a civil war brewing:p

It does
    Yeah, you can't fit a sparkler to a gravity tap.

No more stout for Mr Gravity here.

• Advertisement

Yeah, you can't fit a sparkler to a gravity tap.

No more stout for Mr Gravity here.

But the simple pleasure of a sparkler free stout!

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Spastafarian

Nice, I'm going to the Bull & Castle tomorrow for pintses anyway. Will it be on the menu or will I have to ask for it?

Will it be on the menu or will I have to ask for it?

Its in the down stairs bar I believe and will probably be viable

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Is there any chance you guys will not drink it all and I can get some on Sunday before I head off to AC/DC or do I need to explain to the wife that I have to go in to Dublin tomorrow and try and explain that its in a Cask and not a bottle?

It's Druid's Brew stout (normally only available at the Franciscan Well EasterFest and Great British Beer Festival). Available from opening time tomorrow. And yummy (I had a sneaky taste).

It's Druid's Brew stout (normally only available at the Franciscan Well EasterFest and Great British Beer Festival). Available from opening time tomorrow. And yummy (I had a sneaky taste).

Oh man, you never see that this far inside the pale and is it served with a sparkler mmmh?:p

is it served with a sparkler mmmh?:p
    Like you have to ask :D

It's a dinky little yoke that sprays the beer outwards around the glass: the very zenith of sparkler technology.

Some cask pr0n from this evening:
    druidsbc.jpg
    Phwoar! Get yer glycojacket off!

looks great:), cask stout are a rare enough in England let lone Ireland, well done Bull and castle hope cask beer will become a regular feature

And the sparkler was abandoned early yesterday: the head was coming up fine without it and it was just causing spillage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭MediaTank

Is the cask still there, would like to taste it today?

MT

• Advertisement

MediaTank wrote: »
    Is the cask still there
    Dunno. Phone 01 475 1122, or wait until after lunch when I report back.

Dunno. Phone 01 475 1122, or wait until after lunch when I report back.

I can wait. Cheers.

It's still there. Gone a bit flat since the weekend, but still the best pint of stout in Dublin by quite a distance.

It's still there. Gone a bit flat since the weekend, but still the best pint of stout in Dublin by quite a distance.

No breather then?

No breather then?
    No, I don't think so. They had an immersion cooler in it, but switched it off because they reckoned it was pouring too cold. But no breather that I've noticed.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭guildofevil

Definitely no breather. You can see the spile sticking out of the top of the cask.

Had 3 delicious pints of it yesterday afternoon, and a nice chat with the barman. Bit warm but very tasty.

MT

The Druid's Brew stout, I take it? Another cask of Red arrived earlier in the week and had to be substituted again. The beer gods are obviously angry with it. However, since we're a nation of tree worshippers, the Druid's is far more appropriate.

The Druid's Brew stout, I take it? Another cask of Red arrived earlier in the week and had to be substituted again. The beer gods are obviously angry with it. However, since we're a nation of tree worshippers, the Druid's is far more appropriate.

Yip, Dave the barman said they had to dump two kegs of the Red in the last week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Some people need to get to the pub a bit more.

Advertisement