Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aiming for October...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

Thanks very much KK. Something nice this evening will hopefully be going to bed early with the electric blanket on... Yeah I'm a party animal... I've just been given tea and jammy toast, and it was the nicest I've ever had!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Well done Rachel, I know you feel awful now but it's still a hell of an achievement. i'll see you in the sub 4:30 group next year :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭goofygirl

Good woman yourself! Woo hoo!!

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Well done Rachel! *hug*

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

Brilliant, brilliant, brilliant, racheljev, all those early mornings have paid off. I'm delighted for you. It's amazing how much support can help you at the low points. But marathons are bloody hard and you have come through unscathed. As you know, you have my admiration for all those early mornings, well bloody done!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭beamgirl

Congratulations - sounds like you had great support along the way...very inspiring

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

well done rachel it is an achievent to finish that beast of a run

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Well done.

You should know that most of us regular marathon runners have uttered the words 'never again' on a no. of occasions during or immediately after a race. Time heals :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Congratulations on today. Well run Rach.

Really feeling the pain today! Went for a little swim and it just made me want a portable pool to carry around with me - it was the only time my legs didn't hurt. I assume I'm not to run again until I can walk without looking like John Wayne just off a horse... Yesterday I was full of "never again, shoot me if I mention it again". Today I'm more like "It would be nice to break 5 hours..." I just can't get past the fact that if I hadn't been sick last week - I didn't get to run for a whole week and even then, I only got in a few miles - maybe I would have broken 5 hours. Even the day before the race, I was still coughing and snotting (not pretty) and that wouldn't help. Maybe, (say it very quietly) maybe, I might think about next year....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Congrats Rachel.

Finally got out this morning for my first run since the marathon. 2.9 miles in 28:10. Right hamstring still bit sore but felt so good to get back out this morning. It was cold and the wind was in my face the whole way around, despite the fact I ran 4 sides of a pretty much square route! I've spent the last few days looking back at last week and feeling a bit sorry that I couldn't have gone any faster. But being sick the week before pretty much poleaxed. Since February, when I started, I've lost a stone in weight and I'm much fitter than I've ever been. I also achieved what I set out to do, which was run a marathon before I was 40 (I did it 5 days before my 38th birthday). I've signed up for the Aware 10k in December and I'll keep plodding along at 6 in the morning! Will post up a pic of last week when I work out how to do it...

Reverse taper continues, 4.1 miles in 40:43. Very cold this morning, brrrrr...

2.26 miles in 22:07, nice short one, just stretching out the legs. Got in and out before the rain started, happy days!

3.6 miles in 34:15 this morning. It was FREEZING at 6.30 a.m. so I wore a hat for the first time ever in a run - oh yeah it's all big news today! Great run, really enjoyed it. I love running so early, it just seems to set the day up for me. Of course I'm wiped out by 9 p.m. but hey, can't have it all.. Hadn't been out since Friday, 2 of the 3 kiddos are sick and we're all supposed to be heading to Spain on Wednesday for my sister in law's wedding, so have been doing very good Florence Nightingale impressions all weekend to make them better in time for the trip. Of course that means I was just too knackered to get out and run. But I was going stir crazy so I had to get out this morning for half hour (or 34 mins 15 secs...)

Only a little run this morning, still knackered from our few days in Spain for sister in law's wedding. Used the treadmill in the hotel to knock out four miles last Thursday. Friday was the wedding so no run; Saturday sightseeing and trying to find somewhere to watch Ireland match; Sunday, up at 4.30 a.m. to get home; Monday, completely exhausted! So back today with 2.33 miles in 21:29, using my fabaroonie new Garmin! Avg HR of 158, avg pace 9:13/mile.

Really stuck for time today, so 2.27 mls in 21:09. Avg pace 9:18, avg HR 162. I really like running in the rain, is there something wrong with me?? (the answer is obviously yes, judging by the amount of funny looks I was getting!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

Very precise measurements of distance there ;)

Glad the new watch is working out for you - I hope it's making you feel lots faster!

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

racheljev wrote: »
    I really like running in the rain, is there something wrong with me??
    Can I have some of whatever you're on? I really hate running in rain!

Very precise measurements of distance there wink.gif
    Tee hee, I know, I'm a bit obsessed, the only reason I went out was to try the garmin out again!
    I really hate running in rain!
    Aw, RK, you've GOT to love the rain! Anything that distracts from/cools down my big red face after 5 minutes is to be welcomed!

• Advertisement

4.04 miles in 39:15. Avg HR 156, avg pace 9:44. Lashing rain, swirling wind, great run! Going back to bed for 10 mins before it's time to get the kids up :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Rachel I was lying in bed at 6.30am listening to the awful wind and rain and you crossed my mind.. crazy woman! I don't know how you do it!

Have I mentioned I love running in the rain? 6.41 miles in 1:02:24. Avg HR 161, avg pace 9:44. GPS wouldn't start this morning, assuming it was because of low cloud cover. Stood outside house for 5 mins waiting for link to establish. Watch asked me was I inside, no. Had I moved hundreds of miles since my last run, no. Very nosy, these fancy gadgets!! ;)
    Started timer anyway and hrm working fine, so hit the road. Checked watch after few mins and satellite link had started, so 6.41 miles measured from 0.35 miles (god bless mapmyrun) away from my house (obsessed, moi??). So long story short, actually 6.76 mls in 1:02:24. Got absolutely drenched (climaproof jacket my a**). Loved it though. Feel all chuffed now because I'm done for the day, woohoo!:)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I love it too, couldn't get myself to do it on Thursday but I'm hoping to get out today. I usually don't even notice it's raining till I get home and realise I'm sopping wet.

I know what you mean RQ, this morning though I started off wet because I was waiting around outside for the gps to kick in, but once I got going I felt fine. That said, when I got home I was freezing and couldn't get the heat into me for a while.

Totally my own fault because I decided to upload the garmin stuff and work out how far it hadn't logged and then update this log... maybe next time I'll have the shower before the techie stuff:)

3.15 miles in 30:31. One of those runs where you just plod out every step, knackered this morning. Avg hr 159, avg pace 9:41. Knackered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

With the GPS it's normally a good idea to turn on the watch and pop it onto the windowsill (outside for me worked best) and then get dressed in your running gear - it gives it a few minutes to pick up the signal before you start.

I have to say I have no idea how you run at that time of teh morning...

Thanks for that Amadeus, will do that in the morning.
    I have to say I have no idea how you run at that time of teh morning...
    If I don't get out first thing in the morning, I don't get out. So at 6 a.m., it's gutcheck time! And it is a brilliant feeling to know that my run is done by 7 ish and I'm clear for the rest of the day!

4.2 miles this morning in 41:11, avg pace 9:50, avg hr 161. Running into the wind for 3 of the 4 miles so I think thats why pace is teeny bit slower and hr slightly higher. Very windy out there this morning, tough run. Anyway kids not in school today because teachers on strike, so going back to bed for half hour!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Was walking into work this morning at 8 braving the fierce winds and rain and i thought 'jeez racheljev will already have her run done'. You are a hound!!

Advertisement