Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are short people discriminated against?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

moe_sizlak wrote: »
    dont take this the wrong way but since you replied to a female poster , am i right in saying you are also female , if you indeed are , then i truly sympathise with you , im male and 6 ft 4 so it must be truly awfull to be female an an inch taller than me

Nope, male. I don't really need to do a phasers on this do I?

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭allabouteve

abi2007 wrote: »
    I think short (slim) women are adorable.. short men no.

Short women aren't discrimminated against, but short men? Defiinitely. People make short jokes like they make fat jokes, except theres nothing a short person can do about their height and a fat person can slim if they want.
    Try being 2m tall, sitting in economy class on an airplane, and then complain that short people are being discriminated against...

NTM

I'm a tall woman. Short women complain about clothes being too long, but if thats the case you can do something about it. Clothes are too short and theres nothing I can do about it.

Tall women are joked about in the same way as short men are. Short women and tall men are both acceptable, the opposite, not so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

Tall women are joked about in the same way as short men are. Short women and tall men are both acceptable, the opposite, not so much.

Tall women are awesome.

oeb wrote: »
    Tall women are awesome.

Glad you think so, but at 6'1'' I get a lot of pretty nasty comments.

There was a thread here a while ago about tall women and there were lots of ''OMG, women over 5'9'' are Freaks!'' type posts.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

There was a thread here a while ago about tall women and there were lots of ''OMG, women over 5'9'' are Freaks!'' type posts.:(

Some people, regardless of the subject, will slag it off. If the idea of a woman being bigger than them alone puts a fella off, theres something wrong with him, not her.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

Watching a short person trying to rockclimb is the funnyist, things I've ever seen in my life.....

Nodin wrote: »
    Some people, regardless of the subject, will slag it off. If the idea of a woman being bigger than them alone puts a fella off, theres something wrong with him, not her.

I'm actually very comfortable with my height, its some others that aren't, judging by their reactions to it :confused:.

Most men have no problem with a woman a bit taller, but the shorter the man the more of an issue it is to them (some men, I should say), like its some sort of personal insult that I'm tall and they aren't, which some of them compensate for by insulting me.

Ah well. Thats life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭barleybooley

I've always found the little 'uns to have some sort of superiority complex, they can get thick about something so quickly. Anyone else noticed this?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

I've always found the little 'uns to have some sort of superiority complex, they can get thick about something so quickly. Anyone else noticed this?

its a myth Scientific study shows short men not more aggressive

I think people just notice people who easily lose their temper if their short.

As for the question, as a short guy, I don't think we get discriminated against. Some women are certainly less interested but there's many other reasons for that to happen and I wouldn't class it as discrimination

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Ah well. Thats life.

...full of sad little gobshites as it is....Batter them, I say, and make their nightmares a reality.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭gillo_100

I do kinda know what you are talking about as I know one or two who seem to have it. However I don't its really that true, I think that the height can sometimes be used as an excuse.

That said as a short enough person myself 5'4" male. Sometimes if there is a bit of an argument I know i might well feel slightly intimidated by a taller, average height person and may sometimes get slightly over agressive to compensate. And its not even til I really look back on it that I realise this has happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

I blame Deuce Bigalow.

"THASSA HUGE BITCH"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭johnny_knoxvile

I think that may be lads with confidence issues...ahem, if you get what I mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

I'm a 5'06" 17 year old male and I generally don't experience any notable form of discrimination. Sure, I get asked for some sort of identification when I go to buy a 16+ game* but that's also to do with the fact that I look a bit younger than I am.

*I'm surprised they bother too.

Maybe it's just that I haven't noticed my size. I spend a lot of time around my family, and as the youngest of six children, I am only shorter than my eldest brother. My parents are also shorter than I am.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Jenroche

I'm a five foot female and yes, I do think short people are discriminated against. Not only is it hard to find clothes to fit properly but a person's height, or lack thereof, can exclude them from certain jobs. I can't even reach the top shelves in supermarkets. There's times I've had to climb to get what I want....or ask a passing tall person. Mind you, that can be a good chat-up opportunity if you're a short single, lol!

On the flip side, I find men are quite protective towards short women so it's not all bad. :D

Jen ;->

• Registered Users Posts: 43 senape

yeah but that fact you (or more so we)can't reach a shelf isn't discrimination it's just a bit crap. But I'm great at skiiping queues at bars and have been brought up front in concert and all cause i was short. Sure I can't reach things but then I rarely hit my head of things...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

senape wrote: »
    yeah but that fact you (or more so we)can't reach a shelf isn't discrimination it's just a bit crap. But I'm great at skiiping queues at bars and have been brought up front in concert and all cause i was short. Sure I can't reach things but then I rarely hit my head of things...

Hitting the oul noggin off an open cupboard door after bending down to get something out of the oven is bloody awful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Midgets don't hit their heads off doors.
    Except the really tall ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

It is frustrating to hear girls that admit they are short and don't like being discriminated against, then saying "I only go for 6 foot plus men". That always annoys me. I would view it as the same as me saying I only go for 34c plus girls or whatever. Being shorter than average also seems to be something that people think they have free reign to comment on. I'm sure they wouldn't like it if I commented on their big nose/fat arse/flat chest/insert mild flaw here etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭In All Fairness

Midgets don't hit their heads off doors.

I'm a 5'9" male and I hit my head off doors cos I'm a clumbsy sh1te!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭garbanzo

They are in their holes !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

just a little

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,669 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

*Page* wrote: »
    in portadventura i wasnt alowed on most of the grown up things it sucked:mad:

Aaaaww :D:)
    Dord wrote: »
    ...and don't get me started on small people with umbrellas... having to dodge them at eye level isn't nice.

One of these days there will be tall person jihad where small people will have their umbrellas shoved up their behinds :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭terrytrent

Try being 2m tall, sitting in economy class on an airplane, and then complain that short people are being discriminated against...

NTM

That would be hard, IF you spent you're whole life on a plane. In a word Ignorance...

Max Power1 wrote: »
    Its tall people that are discriminated against! You lucky midgets stay dry for longer when its raining!:D
    Spa

abi2007 wrote: »
    ok maybe we should decide how short is short so we are not slagging ourselves...

women I'd say under 5'2
    men under 5'7

Good to set a level, god knows - you wouldn't want to be thought as a hypocrite

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

No, I get away with things cuz people think I'm small and cute because I can't reach things and I only come up to most people's shoulder height at best. Little do they know I'm actually opinionated and mean and bossy. Unless they read my Boards' posts of course...

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

terrytrent wrote: »
    Spa

Banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

moe_sizlak wrote: »
    i know what you mean , im 6 foot 4 and i hate it , always have , , id gladly swap with someone who is 5ft 9
    No please dont..im 5'9" and love tall guys. Each to their own and all but height is the first distinguishing feature in a guy. If the personality doesnt match though then it doesnt matter if hes 4'4" or 6'4" personality will always win the day :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,833 ✭✭✭✭Armin_Tamzarian

terrytrent wrote: »
    Spa

Somebody's got a short fuse.

Advertisement