Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are short people discriminated against?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

moe_sizlak wrote: »
    id gladly swap with someone who is 5ft 9

how about 5'8" :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Pop's Diner

I think short people probably are discriminated against. Whilst I reckon society as a whole gives a harder time to short MEN I find personally that I particularily unconciously discriminate against short women. I find it difficult to take them seriously (especially when they have squeaky munckin voices, which seems to be the norm with them).

The irony of it is that generally I find short women more attractive (except if they have a complex about thier height that is!)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,343 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

fryup wrote: »
    but whats classed as short??

i'm a *5'8"man.........am i short, short size of average??

*same as Tom Cruise, Mel Gibson

the average height of barefoot males in ireland is 176.1cm which is approx 5ft 9.3

average height in other countries varies of course, in holland the average height of males is approx 6ft while in cambodia the average height of males is only 5ft 3

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Tzetze

I'd say, more often than not, that they get discriminated 'on' rather than 'against'.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,343 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Krac wrote: »
    In Basketball I would think height is a must, most times. Sorry op :(

two of the best players in the nba (chris paul and allen iverson) are under 6ft barefoot

spud webb at 5ft 7 showed little men can play too

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 883 ✭✭✭moe_sizlak

fryup wrote: »
    how about 5'8" :)

whats an inch as the actor said to the bishop:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭*Page*

i'm 4'11.5'

is that short for a girl???:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭quietobserver

i dont think theres a too short height for a girl

• Registered Users Posts: 82,133 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

*Page* wrote: »
    i'm 4'11.5'

is that short for a girl???:D:D
    Youre 2 inches shy of being a dwarf.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 senape

Yeah I'm 5'1'' (that one inch i feel is personal, i may be imagining it tho) Anyway I don't think I am discriminated against. I have a good few friends a similar height and even a couple smaller ;)

Sure I find it hard to find trousers, but just as much as any height or body shape that doesn't fit into 'regular' cuts available in shops. In regards to the opposite sex my tall friend reckons being short is best because you can go out with short men no bother and in her words 'all the tall men are taken by midgets like youse' haha

I think it's harder on men. I particularly like men 6ft+

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭quietobserver

yea i think men get more slack if the topic is brought up. personally i dont mind my height, im 5ft8 but the shortest of the family.
    ahh well.

i guess like the last poster every little counts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭mcowhey

is this discrimination at the carnival

http://www.just4yucks.com/images/5x/59016.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Sammy Jennings

Short people got no reason to live.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭*Page*

mcowhey wrote: »
    is this discrimination at the carnival

http://www.just4yucks.com/images/5x/59016.jpg

in portadventura i wasnt alowed on most of the grown up things it sucked:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Davaeo09

abi2007 wrote: »
    I think short (slim) women are adorable.. short men no.

Ah man, I'm 19, was the oldest in my year, and still got looked down on. (pun intended)

But really, woman seem to go for 6ft+ :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Fusion251

I don't think short people are discriminated against. I do think that men can have a complex about it and tend to be a little more aggressive then the average height bloke...

Just have a quick froogle there, Al Pacino is only 5.5!!!

Point proven, if Scarface was a little bit taller so many lives could have been saved...

You think you can take me? You need a f**king army if you gonna take me!

Yes, I know it's 5:50 in the morning, I can't sleep :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Try being 2m tall, sitting in economy class on an airplane, and then complain that short people are being discriminated against...

NTM

Thats Gods punishment for them big American portions you great Satans eat.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Yes, they don't make clothes to fit me. There's LOADS of women who are under 5'5'' and they don't make trousers short enough for us. I but short length trousers and even they're too long. :(

Do not, I repeat, do not move to NZ. They don't make trousers or jeans in shorter than a 34" leg and there is no such thing as petite sections. Every shop you go to expects you to get them tailored to make them shorter. I've even complained to shops about it! I miss shops at home so much! I ended up having to order petite jeans online from topshop and get them sent over to me. People must all be tall here!

I dont think women are discriminated for being short. Im quite short (about 5 ft 3) but am in proportion so I am quite petite. I think a lot of men like the women to be a bit smaller, it makes them more protectful or something. I dont know if it works that way for men though!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

Yes, they don't make clothes to fit me. There's LOADS of women who are under 5'5'' and they don't make trousers short enough for us. I but short length trousers and even they're too long. :(

I on the other hand am 6'5", I am neither horribly underweight, nor horribly overweight. It is very very very difficult to find jeans that fit both my legs and my waist. They seem to assume everyone with legs as long as mine is either rake thin or drasticly overweight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Hopefully.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Pop's Diner

Short people got no reason to live.

Make love to me Randy!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭The guy

Overheal wrote: »
    Youre 2 inches shy of being a dwarf.

and 6 out of 7 dwarves aren't happy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 883 ✭✭✭moe_sizlak

oeb wrote: »
    I on the other hand am 6'5", I am neither horribly underweight, nor horribly overweight. It is very very very difficult to find jeans that fit both my legs and my waist. They seem to assume everyone with legs as long as mine is either rake thin or drasticly overweight.

dont take this the wrong way but since you replied to a female poster , am i right in saying you are also female , if you indeed are , then i truly sympathise with you , im male and 6 ft 4 so it must be truly awfull to be female an an inch taller than me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

Quit complaining!

"Oh noes my trousers are too long, I'll have to turn them up."

Try being tall, you don't have the pleasure of just buying any trousers and adjusting the length. Hell, try finding the bloody things that fit in the first place. :mad:

...and don't get me started on small people with umbrellas... having to dodge them at eye level isn't nice.

Even still I wouldn't trade my height with a smaller guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Midgets don't hit their heads off doors.

Only door knobs

• Registered Users Posts: 7,452 ✭✭✭Blisterman

So, what's the optimal height for guys and girls?
    I'm 6'2", and think it's great. I can always get a view at concerts, and yet can still easily find clothes that fit and rarely hit my head off stuff.
    Wouldn't want to be any taller or shorter.

Blisterman wrote: »
    So, what's the optimal height for guys and girls?
    I'm 6'2", and think it's great. I can always get a view at concerts, and yet can still easily find clothes that fit and rarely hit my head off stuff.
    Wouldn't want to be any taller or shorter.

Im 5 ft 3 but would like to be 5ft 7 or 8. That's not too short and not too tall.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

watna wrote: »
    Do not, I repeat, do not move to NZ. They don't make trousers or jeans in shorter than a 34" leg and there is no such thing as petite sections. Every shop you go to expects you to get them tailored to make them shorter. I've even complained to shops about it! I miss shops at home so much! I ended up having to order petite jeans online from topshop and get them sent over to me. People must all be tall here!

I dont think women are discriminated for being short. Im quite short (about 5 ft 3) but am in proportion so I am quite petite. I think a lot of men like the women to be a bit smaller, it makes them more protectful or something. I dont know if it works that way for men though!

Move off the East Island onto the mainland then. The missus loved Australia because they finally had her size and Ireland doesnt.
    She is a size 6 and 5ft 1.

Jumpy wrote: »
    Move off the East Island onto the mainland then. The missus loved Australia because they finally had her size and Ireland doesnt.
    She is a size 6 and 5ft 1.

Never!

Clothes in general are big here. Im an 8 but regularly have to buy things in a sizr 6 - if the shop does that. Kiwis are fatty fatty fat fats!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Lia_lia wrote: »
    Yes but they don't make trousers to fit me either. The ones in the "normal" section are too short and the ones in the "tall" section are too long. :(

Really? I would have thought a bigger issue is that your pants were on fia.

Advertisement