Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cereal box toys

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

joey54 wrote: »
    God I remember the days of getting cereals just so I could get the toys! Sometimes I would even hate the cereal but desperately wanted the cheap plastic toy! The things we did as children!

I used to dig through the box to get the toy. And pour it on the table, nick it, and put it all back in :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

it's to stop luring kids to eat sugary cereal or some bullsh*t. cereal toys were crap anyway, although once I got brilliant little bobble head things

does anybody remember the snoopy toys from happy meals a good few years ago? They were proper sized toys of snoopy in different costumes. those were savage, I used to go into McDonalds just to buy them, no food.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

There was this one time I collected all the tokens and sent away for the life size Coco monkey off Coco-Pops.
    I waited and waited for months but then he eventually arrived.
    It was worth the wait, oh me and Coco had the best of times, we used to go everywhere together.

We were never allowed to have Coco Pops or Frosties or anything like that, because "they'd rot your teeth". Cornflakes, Rice Krispies and Weetabix was all we could have :( Sweets and crisps were a no-no too.

Jesus no wonder I was excited about a fcuking writing set :S

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,833 ✭✭✭✭Armin_Tamzarian

Abigayle wrote: »
    We were never allowed to have Coco Pops or Frosties or anything like that, because "they'd rot your teeth". Cornflakes, Rice Krispies and Weetabix was all we could have :( Sweets and crisps were a no-no too.

Jesus no wonder I was excited about a fcuking writing set :S

We were the same.
    My "rich" uncle used to eat the Coco-Pops and give me the tokens, yeah he really lived life in the fast lane.

Did you ever know any of those super-rich kids who used to get those Kelloggs multi-pack things, with the 8 different minature cereals?
    Now when you were 6 that was the definition of living large.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Did you ever know any of those super-rich kids who used to get those Kelloggs multi-pack things, with the 8 different minature cereals?Now when you were 6 that was the definition of living large.

Yeah, they still do them afaik. And Nestle have their own version (all gack) now too. The old pair could afford them alright, but you'd have to see it to believe it.. Even our birthday parties consisted of fruit platters, little blocks of cheese on sticks and shit. Where everyone else had fizzy drinks, we were given orange, apple and multivitamin drinks :rolleyes:

But I got used to it I suppose, I never have any crap in the house. Although the fruit juices have turned to wine and beer :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭enniscorthy

donmeister wrote: »
    Remember those cool lil Monster Trucks they had in the Corn Flakes? They were savage!

defo mate why else would any1 eat such a horrible cereal heheheahaha

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Ruu wrote: »
    Kellogg's bike reflectors for the victory, hehehehehehehohoooooooo

Omg yeah people kept thieving them off each other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭useful_contacts

oh my dearest and most sincere friends i have come to a terrible realisation i have finally noticed why my 2 have stopped eating the cereal years ago........... it hit me today as a huge revelation................ THEY DONT PUT THE LITTLE TOYS IN THE CEREAL BOXES ANY MORE:eek: hey anybody know why :mad:

Remember finding the tacky kellogs corn flakes bike reflectors- had about 5 of them on my bike and though i was jesus:)

whenever i found one would be the topic of discussion in my class for the day cos i wouldnt shut up about it:D

m e m o r i e s:)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,985 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Now that is freakily coincidental. Only made a post on another forum about the glow in the dark Casper stickers about an hour ago and then see this here.

The toys in the box tended to be crap, except the Monsters In My Pocket in Frosties, but the save up tokens and send away for stuff were always good quality.

Still have a Rice Crispies bowl. Used it this evening too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭lgoring21

they wer great alright...remeber callin kellogs once when i was a child cause i got no toy in the ox they sent me out the whole series of them...was delighted...do they still make pencil toppers?? i remeber one cereal always had pencil toppers....maybe even troll ones??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

Even our birthday parties consisted of fruit platters, little blocks of cheese on sticks and shit. Where everyone else had fizzy drinks, we were given orange, apple and multivitamin drinks :rolleyes:

We may have grown up in the same house! My mother's birthday party speciality was an orange, with lots of cocktail sticks stuck into it, and on each cocktail stick was a cheese cube, a mandarin segment, and an apple slice. No wonder I was never one of the cool kids :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

IvySlayer wrote: »
    I used to dig through the box to get the toy. And pour it on the table, nick it, and put it all back in :pac:

same. well first I'd shove my big dirty snotty kid hand in a rummage around and if I couldn't get it then I'd pour it out on the table.

my uncle's girlfriend made a crazy modern art thing with ****ing millions* of them, it was so cool!

*slight exaggeration

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭In All Fairness

Does anyone remember the little helicopters with the serrated ripcord to propel them ? They were top-notch. Can't remember the cereal. And the stickers that showed two different pictures depending which way you tilted them that came with Redi-Brek; that was like CGI for it's time,always wanted some of them but it was a time of porridge (a cheaper tastier and more nutritious alternative but sadly devoid of anything to interest a 6 year old.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

phasers wrote: »
    it's to stop luring kids to eat sugary cereal or some bullsh*t. cereal toys were crap anyway, although once I got brilliant little bobble head things

does anybody remember the snoopy toys from happy meals a good few years ago? They were proper sized toys of snoopy in different costumes. those were savage, I used to go into McDonalds just to buy them, no food.

I remember those. I had a few of them. McDonalds use to have some good toys with the happy meal every now and again.

The best toys i remember from the cereals were the monster in my pocket ones. Another favourite was when i got a cards that contiained meteor fragments from the Golden Nuggets cereal.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

I've loads of cereal box toys in my attic, from Looney Toons, Animaniacs and various other figures, transformers, matchbox, markers, stickers, holograms, watches and god knows what else :pac:

Who remembers these:

anya2.jpg

anya1.jpg

honeynutloopb.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭ballybay_eh

I remember they used to give "Monsters in my Pocket" away in Kellogg's cereals. They were deadly.

That's the only thing I don't like about Crunchy Nut Cornflakes ('cause I'm too old to eat Frosties now). They don't have any free toys. I mean, who's going to be disappointed about getting a toy? Only the most miserable of b*stard surely/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Anyone remember the cassettes you sent away for from Kelloggs Start I think it was. There was about four songs on them. The only song I remember was one from The Bangles (Manic Monday afair). I still have the tape somewhere actually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

There was this one time I collected all the tokens and sent away for the life size Coco monkey off Coco-Pops.
    I waited and waited for months but then he eventually arrived.
    It was worth the wait, oh me and Coco had the best of times, we used to go everywhere together.

I had Coco too!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Yeah, they still do them afaik. And Nestle have their own version (all gack) now too. The old pair could afford them alright, but you'd have to see it to believe it.. Even our birthday parties consisted of fruit platters, little blocks of cheese on sticks and shit. Where everyone else had fizzy drinks, we were given orange, apple and multivitamin drinks :rolleyes:

But I got used to it I suppose, I never have any crap in the house. Although the fruit juices have turned to wine and beer :D

Mental note: avoid abi's gaff. there is never any cake there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭enniscorthy

Now that is freakily coincidental. Only made a post on another forum about the glow in the dark Casper stickers about an hour ago and then see this here.

The toys in the box tended to be crap, except the Monsters In My Pocket in Frosties, but the save up tokens and send away for stuff were always good quality.

Still have a Rice Crispies bowl. Used it this evening too.

oh hey listen mate dont get me started on glow in the dark casper stickers heeheheheehehahahahaahah my eldest still has 1 on her wall after all these years tried to paint the room a few months ago she threw a strop at 18 years of age over a sticker:mad: heheheheheheheheh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭BrianJD

I think the only toys we had in our childhood was the small cars you got by collecting tokens with Cornflakes and Weetabix. I'd love to have collected them.

Sometimes you had to attach 2 x 20p pieces to a card and send it with your tokens to cover postage and we'd be gutted

Ah we were poor but we were happy...:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,833 ✭✭✭✭Armin_Tamzarian

Adyx wrote: »
    Anyone remember the cassettes you sent away for from Kelloggs Start I think it was. There was about four songs on them. The only song I remember was one from The Bangles (Manic Monday afair). I still have the tape somewhere actually.

Sure do Adyx...

I had the Beach Boys one myself, Surfin' USA.
    Used to put it on full blast and get up on the sideboard and start surfin' away.
    Unfortunately a big wave came along one day and knocked me off balance.
    I went flying head first towards the kitchen floor, landed on top of Megatron and knocked out a tooth.

When I got home from the dentist the tape had mysteriously disappeared, never to be seen again. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Sure do Adyx...

I had the Beach Boys one myself, Surfin' USA.
    Used to put it on full blast and get up on the sideboard and start surfin' away.
    Unfortunately a big wave came along one day and knocked me off balance.
    I went flying head first towards the kitchen floor, landed on top of Megatron and knocked out a tooth.

When I got home from the dentist the tape had mysteriously disappeared, never to be seen again. :(

Bloody hell! What was it, about 20 years ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

TBH, the funnest bit was jamming your hand down the full pack of cereal and hunting around for the toy.

Advertisement