Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick it's a hole (say something crappy about limerick)

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

CDfm wrote: »
    Limerick is a really go ahead town sure enough. I lived there and have gone there on business and I feel uncomfortable on the main street. Last time I stayed on O Connell Street I nearly got mugged between the resterant and the Hotel - a short distance.A busker got robbed. This was quite in the open.You dont get in Cork or Galway.

Lots of places have higher crime rates but given the demographics it shouldnt be so. Maybe there is an acceptence of the situation and the local population need to get wise to it.

Its like the worst thing about Limerick is the denial that there is a problem.As a City it tolerates it.IT needs a public rejection like a meeting or March up O.Connell Street reclaiming the town and pat the castle etc.

I always wonder what the crime rates would be if you excluded gang crime from Limerick figure. I just don't see the crime in the city centre you seem to see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

I always wonder what the crime rates would be if you excluded gang crime from Limerick figure. I just don't see the crime in the city centre you seem to see.

Thats the denial thing.Gang crime is still crime.

If you accept the undercurrent of violence thats part of the City thats sad.

If you live there it becomes normality.You just have a higher tolerance to it than an outsider would.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭roadrunner 1

i have stayed in limerick and am a frequant visitor. i just don't understand why there is a free for all to knock. the people are lovally people and so friendly i love the way the city can combine old with new and so very tastefully. i have never come across any city anywhere in any country that doesn't have problems. sureally can we not see that by making harmfull comments about this city in our fine country we will just put holiday makers off.

if you really want to slag anything about limerick how about the way dell have come in raised the living costs built up peoples living standards created other companies to materialise and when they decide the time has come to go they drop its employees almost immediately as a christmas present and setup in poland they havent even been in limerick long enough for anyone to have paid there morgage yet these people have my prayers. some comments that i have read may lead some to think that they cant blame dell for moving on dell have been a plague to all. IF dell were really leaving because of the cheaper polish wage of 3eph why didnt they have a staff meeting and hand it to its employees. take a pay cut or loose your jobs! i am sure everyone would have took the cut as 50 per cent of something is better than 100 pc of nothing to my knowledge this offer was never offered.

so please everyone l lets stop fighting ourselves and lets have a pop of the real gangsters, they always come in the form of a shirt and tie

UP LIMERICK.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

Not to get too off topic and this is just a shot in the dark here but....
    Im guessing the move had something to do with the unions...many problems root from them!
    I think UL is a really cool universty.I dont know limerick well...I know that the area around the train station is horrible but areas around most train stations are!

Thats the denial thing.Gang crime is still crime.

If you accept the undercurrent of violence thats part of the City thats sad.

If you live there it becomes normality.You just have a higher tolerance to it than an outsider would.

It's not denial, I'm just asking a simple question. Not all crime is the same, you need different approaches to deal with gangs and individuals.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

It's not denial, I'm just asking a simple question. Not all crime is the same, you need different approaches to deal with gangs and individuals.

Wow.

Excuses mate.

Its a Limerick Cultural thing. When did it become acceptable?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Limerick is flange..

i dont think hes in denial and i think youve bought into the media hype we are not talking gangs as in the krays here we are talking about a relativly low scale two family feud

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭LimeFruitGum

The gangland feuds are generally confined to the suburbs. It is a skanger family feud going on since the 70s that has gotten waaaay out of control. :mad:

Wow.

Excuses mate.

Its a Limerick Cultural thing. When did it become acceptable?

At no point did I say it was acceptable, I simply wanted to know what percentage of crime is caused by the gangs.

I don't think it's a "Limerick Cultural thing", any more than Dublin gang crime is a "Finglas Cultural thing" or whatever. I don't think it's something inherent to Limerick, it's an issue that has risen to prominence in the last decade, as late as 1997, senior Gardai did not think Ireland had established drugs gangs, most of the drug dealing involved criminals who were involved in all sorts of crimes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

I think this thread should close - its really not a good thing to be shouting this kind of tripe from the rooftops, if you dont like Limerick, then **** off out of here!

I have no time for people who are actively trying to bringing down the good name of this city and county, and the good work people have done in promoting the city!

I think this thread should close - its really not a good thing to be shouting this kind of tripe from the rooftops, if you dont like Limerick, then **** off out of here!

I have no time for people who are actively trying to bringing down the good name of this city and county, and the good work people have done in promoting the city!

here here and amen to that

• Registered Users Posts: 55,465 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Done. Told you it wouldn't work.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement