Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Half tonne Shark caught off West Clare

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭fmcc

was at spanish point yesterday and today and had a nice dive in kilkee vis is cracking there anyway. Ciuld not believe the amount of surfers in Lahinch on Saturday at lunchtime nearly shat myself. Only a few at spanish point then. Very little there today but got washed anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭theo4130

loctite wrote: »
    I think they did set out to catch a big 'un tbh.
    but in fairness, they were hardly out fishing for Mackerel with 80 lb line??

valid point, some people just cant empathise with animals, someone once told me that murderers start out by beating animals (that scared me ****less as a kid, ever since ive been kind to animals...), i find that really sad (plus selfish!) ah well, as long as we dont start chartering boats left right and centre to go shark fishing.

Theo I see your point but I,m not againest fishing or even shark fishing as long as its sustainable or tag and release. If you want to get really worried watch this.
    http://endoftheline.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭Shane_C

fmcc wrote: »
    Theo I see your point but I,m not againest fishing or even shark fishing as long as its sustainable or tag and release. If you want to get really worried watch this.
    http://endoftheline.com

Thats a scary one alright. I don't think we have the ability to make any of these commercial breeds completely extinct so i reckon the consequences are more dire for our species than for theirs....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭markY6222

Is it one of the sharks with no teeth they are swimming aroung in dogort achill now a group of 4 so if u r close come and look they come about once a year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭fade2che

Hi markY6222,
    Where abouts in dogort? Close to the beach or off shore? Do they stay around for a while (couple of weeks) in the area or is it just a few sightings?
    Might head there for a few photos the weekend.

Sorry they left in the middle of the night my dad said (lives in dogurt)Nice place if ur ever down their in the summer in dogurt theirs an artist book shop which sells pictures of achill and screen prints....Its a nice shop its beside the coffe shop and is facing out to see and theirs also a conservitree built on to the house its a white house with red around the windows if the signs r not up just knock on door and they,ll open up for u and also theres a painting of a women holding a fish on one side off the house

cornbb wrote: »
    Speaking of marine life, I was out at Fanore today and the amount of jellyfish in the water was unreal. Mostly purple but a few brown ones too. They were everywhere! I was brushing my hand against them nearly every paddle/stroke I made.

Where the purple ones with 3 purpul rings on them (i heard they dont sting )

Basking sharks are always round achil this time of year alright often head to keem to try and see them but always seem to just miss them by about an hour last year according to the lifegaurd I spoke to. Seem to start coming in about May on would love to swim with one some time.
    If your interested in sharks check out the film sharkwater theres a link to it off my blog here
    http://irelandsocean.blogspot.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭Shane_C

fmcc wrote: »
    Basking sharks are always round achil this time of year alright often head to keem to try and see them but always seem to just miss them by about an hour last year according to the lifegaurd I spoke to. Seem to start coming in about May on would love to swim with one some time.
    If your interested in sharks check out the film sharkwater theres a link to it off my blog here
    http://irelandsocean.blogspot.com/

Awesome, gotta go check that out.

I can't wait til november/december when it's whale season in west cork. A kayak tour operator told me he had a tour surrounded by killer whales last year :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29 glamourfish

WTF!!! Was it totally neccessary to kill the shark? This really p*sses me off!! We choose to go into the sea which is where sharks live without having the choice. No point in fishing and killing sharks!
    Making the ocean a safer place? Not a very good way of seeing things in my opinion!

Advertisement