Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Half tonne Shark caught off West Clare

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭TheInquisitor

Bout the size of my P....

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭loctite

Bout the size of my P....

addleboard :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Davaeo09

Holy smoke!

That thing is huge :pac:

I know that that fish is a deep water shark but imagine something that size coming up form underneath you.

Dusty @ spanish point has done it a few times to me and it has freaked me out.... convinced that dolphin is gonna eat me or something!:(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

fishing forum maybe?

• Advertisement

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    fishing forum maybe?

I think big fish in the sea, especially ones caught near local breaks are fairly relevent to surfing don't you think???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭donmeister

Sweet jesus that thing is huge! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭kodute

loctite wrote: »
    I think big fish in the sea, especially ones caught near local breaks are fairly relevent to surfing don't you think???

Fair play to that fella for making the sea safer for all surfers!:pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

They are carnivorous predators feeding mainly on crustaceans, fish and some marine mammals.

I hope they don't mean surfers :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭Shane_C

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    fishing forum maybe?

It got replies didn't it......

Anyone ever have a close encounter?

I was in western australia when a fin about 30cm high (or at least that's all i saw) came out of the water about 10m away from me.
    Needless to say me and the other 2 guys out paddled like hell back to shore, which in retrospect was a bad idea, coz I don't think it wanted to come onto the reef we were sitting on.
    Much bigger adrenaline buzz than surfing itself.
    It was either a great white or bronze whaler, both were in the area at the time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭fmcc

Am I the only one who thinks this is wrong? Fishing anything not endangered is cool and the gang even some species of shark but the shark population is being decimated at present and we know naff all about this particular species. Trophy fishing is wrong imho most shark caught now are for sport and tagged then released.
    I think Irish surfers are pretty safe from shark attacks guys you don't need to worry. Yet...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭youngblood

Surf gonna be good in Clare tomorrow anyone headin out?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Why did he ride it in to shore on a wave??

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭gerk86

Shane_C wrote: »
    Anyone ever have a close encounter?

Yea, actually in garretstown of all places. Out for a swim as it was flat. Swam down to the rocks, turned and started swimming up the beach. Half way back up, about 5 foot ahead of me a dolphin fin comes out of the water. Almost made a feckin mess in the wetsuit.

It reminded me that it's not some sterile empty pool we play in but a wild, diverse natural habitat. I've got alot more respect for my local beaches now...

frag420 wrote: »
    Why did he ride it in to shore on a wave??

Gnarley dude!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,396 ✭✭✭✭kippy

In fairness this shark was caught miles off the coast. Theres plenty of them out there, even rumours of a great white off the coast of the UK last year.

fmcc wrote: »
    Am I the only one who thinks this is wrong? Fishing anything not endangered is cool and the gang even some species of shark but the shark population is being decimated at present and we know naff all about this particular species. Trophy fishing is wrong imho most shark caught now are for sport and tagged then released.
    I think Irish surfers are pretty safe from shark attacks guys you don't need to worry. Yet...

+1 on the thinking that it is wrong....

Safe... they only want us to think that before "they" are going to launch an all out assault on the next world record attempt on a single wave in Lahinch..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

fmcc wrote: »

No, you're not the only one.

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/letters/why-no-uproar-on-shark-killing-1781440.html

kippy wrote: »
    In fairness this shark was caught miles off the coast. Theres plenty of them out there, even rumours of a great white off the coast of the UK last year.

I do a good bit of diving of the coast of Clare, and they do come very close and shallow. There was a 6-8ft shark spotted in about 8 metres of water last summer around several dive sites... I'd say they are closer than you think in all honesty.

There have been several sightings over the last 5 years or so of Great Whites off the south coast of the UK... Its not like we are a million miles away now is it?

I suppose it was wrong, but then you could argue all fishing is wrong.

They aren't endangered.

• Advertisement

Shane_C wrote: »
    I suppose it was wrong, but then you could argue all fishing is wrong.

They aren't endangered.

Perhaps... it does seem wrong thought that something of that size should be taken out of the sea for sport though? He's hardly going to eat it all himself...

What actually happens to the shark once they've finished taking pictures???

I think they gave it to a local fishmonger.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Decos

Dusty @ spanish point has done it a few times to me and it has freaked me out.... convinced that dolphin is gonna eat me or something!frown.gif
    shes freaked me out a few times before, didnt know she was around once and suddenly felt her tail brushing the side of my leg, freaked the **** out of me!

Decos wrote: »
    shes freaked me out a few times before, didnt know she was around once and suddenly felt her tail brushing the side of my leg, freaked the **** out of me!

I hate it when there is a crowd out in Sp point and she'll dart between everyone below the surface and breach right beside you... especially when you are paddling, it can be really a real un nerving experience...

She's fond of dropping in on the waves too (although you can argue that it is we that are dropping in). My mate was on a fairly decent size wave there one day when he she nudged him of the wave, pushed the side of his board and sent him flying.....

First time I heard of this. I wanna go surfing with a dolphin!

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭mac123

I do a good bit of diving of the coast of Clare, and they do come very close and shallow. There was a 6-8ft shark spotted in about 8 metres of water last summer around several dive sites... I'd say they are closer than you think in all honesty.

There have been several sightings over the last 5 years or so of Great Whites off the south coast of the UK... Its not like we are a million miles away now is it?

yeah but were these confirmed sightings, as in was it proven? or just fishermen claiming to have seen them? I wouldnt doubt that there out there though...

mac123 wrote: »
    yeah but were these confirmed sightings, as in was it proven? or just fishermen claiming to have seen them? I wouldnt doubt that there out there though...

Seen them myself....(not the Great whites off the UK but the ones of West Clare) so would say confirmed alright.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭theo4130

+ 1 more on the thi sis wrong side,
    it doesnt look like this guy was deliberately out to catch an endangered shark, i believe he should have let it go (maybe this would be dangerous getting the hook out?)
    (blue bottles [flies] arent endangered but i still feel bad when i squash them agains the window!)
    why do we value human life over other species?

theo4130 wrote: »
    + 1 more on the thi sis wrong side,
    it doesnt look like this guy was deliberately out to catch an endangered shark, i believe he should have let it go (maybe this would be dangerous getting the hook out?)
    (blue bottles [flies] arent endangered but i still feel bad when i squash them agains the window!)
    why do we value human life over other species?

I think they did set out to catch a big 'un tbh.
    Was in Carrigaholt last night talking to the locals and some reckon its not the first big shark this guy has caught. Don't know if they were referring to the charter boat or the guy who caught it... but in fairness, they were hardly out fishing for Mackerel with 80 lb line??

• Advertisement

Speaking of marine life, I was out at Fanore today and the amount of jellyfish in the water was unreal. Mostly purple but a few brown ones too. They were everywhere! I was brushing my hand against them nearly every paddle/stroke I made.

Advertisement