Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Incidents in Dublin yesterday

Options
  • 19-06-2009 8:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭

Anyone see at the top of Grafton Street the Stick Man performer? A group of scumbags started harrassing him and a punch-up ensued...im not sure if the performer's group threw punches, but the scumbags definitely were - the sound man was left with a massive shiner, the guards were called as well...

Then about an hour later on Henry St, firemen were cutting open the entrance to Permanent TSB with chainsaws...no idea what was going on there! anyone else know?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Why didn't you ask them?

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭demon83

I seen something at top of Grafton st last night around 6:45, there was a Canadian Street artist, with long dreadlock and he was argueing with about 7 or 8 scumbags in there tracksuits, I heard ask who took it, so guess the scumbags stole something from him, surprise surprise!
    The guy has travellied all over the world and comes here for a world championship only to be robbed and beaten up (I didnt see this but goin by OP) in broad daylight on the busiest street in the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

demon83 wrote: »
    I seen something at top of Grafton st last night around 6:45, there was a Canadian Street artist, with long dreadlock and he was argueing with about 7 or 8 scumbags in there tracksuits, I heard ask who took it, so guess the scumbags stole something from him, surprise surprise!
    The guy has travellied all over the world and comes here for a world championship only to be robbed and beaten up (I didnt see this but goin by OP) in broad daylight on the busiest street in the country.

Hey thats nothing.

Three years ago a mate of mine came to visit, he'd just completed 15 months in Baghdad, Iraq (he's a US marine) - survived unscathed - then got mugged on Thomas St fifteen within an hour of arriving in Dublin!.

We've some population of scumbags and a law/justice system which is way too soft on them.

:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Chocoholic84

demon83 wrote: »

Yep that was it...it really is a sad state of affairs! And after all of it, he had to abandon the show because it started pissin rain!

Nolanger wrote: »
    Why didn't you ask them?

Cos there was a pretty big crowd around and couldn't get near em...no one else seemed to know what was going on either!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

Yeah, it's really unfortunate. Free events seem to attract the worst scum. Remember the Larks in the Parks? Free concerts, they were brillaint, but eventually can drinking scummers would take over. Anyone ever go to the Phoenix park car races? I was there when a race had to be cancelled because C0cksnot scumbags had their kids sitting in front of them over the barrier. Their excuse was that the kids couldn't see.

I saw another incident in the race paddock, some fella in a 1950's racing car was driving slowly through, he was revving and revving the huge V8 engine to keep it from cutting out (sounded deadly) of course some jip stain thinks he revs are directed purely at him and stands in front of the car with his little pigeon breast stuck out.... Yer man danced with the devil and put the pedal to the metal, the noise was unbelievable, the car actually started swaying and jerking, everyone turned around to see what was going on as our tracksuited friend panicked and scurried off slipping in the mud in his hurry.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

what's wrong with these scum? why do you think Dublin has such a problem with these idiots?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭IanCurtis

Dublin is a kip - that's why I left :) Never looked back since

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭gazzer

Fcking pieces of scum. Why the hell is there so many of them around Dublin? There was some other incident yesterday morning near the Jervis Centre where a woman was stabbed. I had to laugh at the description of the two people seen running from the scene. "A man in a grey tracksuit and a woman in a pink tracksuit".

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,142 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    what's wrong with these scum? why do you think Dublin has such a problem with these idiots?

The rest of us put up with it.

• Advertisement

They are everywhere unfortunately, from Saigon to Portlaoise... They are just a bit more prevalent during free events, crowds, free gigs and the like.

Ian, just at a glance at your previous posts I think you have a problem with the Irish and Ireland! Let alone Dublin! I hope you sort out your issues with your country and your capital, even if it means you having to move away... But coming on to a Dublin forum and just slating the city as a kip is a bit trollish to be honest.

Coming on to a forum about a place you hate is a bit funny too. I don't know if you were bullied or had an awful upbringing in Dublin, but, I hope, in time you will appreciate the city for what it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Camarague

A guy ran into the Centra / Subway on Westmoreland street last night at about 11pm, followed by about three or four others who kicked him to the ground, then on the ground. Apparently the guy had called them "****" or hit them or something.

It's hard to know what to do in these situations. A guy getting the living sh*t kicked out of him, and intervention involves taking on 4 or 5 others. I felt sorry for the people working in the shop, as well as the guy on the ground. I kept thinking the police will turn up, but they didn't...

There seem to be gangs roaming the streets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

gazzer wrote: »
    Fcking pieces of scum. Why the hell is there so many of them around Dublin? .

Because there are more people here perhaps? There are scumbags all over the country, of course there is a higher concentration of them here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

I think I hate Dublin. People always go on about them being this and that friendly or whatever but in my experience it has suggested otherwise. Vast majority hostile, unfriendly arrogant etc...

In recent years the contrary, been more friendly etc... But that's not changing times. That's the idiotic "I'm someone to be reckoned with" mentality bread into so many growing up. Now I am past having to deal with complete poor scum bag clasless children on a daily basis. After 30 if they are still alive they will quieten a little but still have the hate in them...

Where does such pure badness from a young age stem from? People always say you can't blame the parents but where exactly does the blame lie because I find it impossible to believe that people are born evil little bastards.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭builttospill

lightening wrote: »
    They are everywhere unfortunately, from Saigon to Portlaoise... They are just a bit more prevalent during free events, crowds, free gigs and the like.

Ian, just at a glance at your previous posts I think you have a problem with the Irish and Ireland! Let alone Dublin! I hope you sort out your issues with your country and your capital, even if it means you having to move away... But coming on to a Dublin forum and just slating the city as a kip is a bit trollish to be honest.

Coming on to a forum about a place you hate is a bit funny too. I don't know if you were bullied or had an awful upbringing in Dublin, but, I hope, in time you will appreciate the city for what it is.

He just did appreciate Dublin for what it is-a kip, and he is entitled to that point of view when posting in a thread about scumbags.

This is a simple assessment he made having lived in the city. You then say he is trolling! You just made assumptions as to why he doesn't like Dublin-Now that is trolling! You are obviously allowing your pride for your city to get in the way of reason.

I lived in Dublin for 10 years and I'm happy I got out of there. And no-I was never mugged or started on once. These scumbags are just a nuisance and they do make Dublin a lot worse than other cities. Naturally there are many other factors that make Dublin a kip but to mention them would be off topic. I always find it amusing exiting Dublin airport having come back from a European City-it's like stepping into the Third World.

As for the scum causing havoc on the city streets-It's strange that it only really happens in Dublin. In other cities they are pushed out to the suburbs where they fight amongst themselves. In Ireland they seem to have carte blanche cos nobody stands up to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

IMO the reason why theres so many of the feckers is that they have nothing else to do while waiting for social welfare/disability benefit/unemployment.... that they just go at it ...... hey presto 9 months later .... a crotch dropping !!!

another little scrote who will grow up thinking its easier to claim the dole than do a proper job....so why bother looking for a job.

(before anyone starts jumping down my throat - I dont have issues with unemployed people, I do have issues with people who have been claiming all their lives and generations of families who have "used" the system)

Ps. just to add I got "crotch dropping" from boards :rolleyes: I like it ... perfect description.!!! lol:p

a kip

I just don't find it a kip. I am in town every weekend when I am home and don't see it that way! But you are right, I probably was a bit harsh, apologies to Ivan. I certainly wasn't trolling! I just don't like the sweeping statements, "Dublin is a kip"... Natural for a Dubliner to react to a statement like that! I have travelled a good bit, and I see the same social problems cropping up in most cities, the last two being Rome an Barcelona. I am not blind to the problems, but I see them all over cities, particularly in the UK, Spain, Italy and Eastern European countries.

Again, I find people who think Dublin is a kip don't actually know the city, they don't use what is on offer, parks, beaches, museums, galleries, eateries, great pubs, social scene, clubs and sports.... so on...

I just don't find it a kip. I am in town every weekend when I am home and don't see it that way! But you are right, I probably was a bit harsh, apologies to Ivan. I certainly wasn't trolling! I just don't like the sweeping statements, "Dublin is a kip"... Natural for a Dubliner to react to a statement like that! I have travelled a good bit, and I see the same social problems cropping up in most cities, the last two being Rome an Barcelona. I am not blind to the problems, but I see them all over cities, particularly in the UK, Spain, Italy and Eastern European countries.

Again, I find people who think Dublin is a kip don't actually know the city, they don't use what is on offer, parks, beaches, museums, galleries, eateries, great pubs, social scene, clubs and sports.... so on...

I suppose branding Dublin a kip can be construed as letting emotion rule over reason as well. I meant to say that in my post. I also meant to mention Barcelona. I've been there twice and yes it's rough but the scumbags over there have a little bit more respect. When I say respect I mean it is obviously feigned but they wouldn't be as threatening as Dublin scum who are a breed of their own.

Also I know Dublin like the back of my hand. I've done everything you have mentioned but I still think it's severely limited. Now don't get me wrong-part of the charm of the city is the fact that it is so backward. It's in the Irish nature not to care about these things.

As for the Dublin scum-it is horribly embarrassing to see them preying on innocent tourists. I used to see tourists with their bumbags and camcorders straying off down North Strand Road or somewhere and boy did I cringe. Reminded me of that scene in Trainspotting when the tourist lands into the pub asking can he use the jacks.

I love Dublin city and anyone who doesn't can f*ck off to some sh*t town down the country full of in-bred GAA tossers.

I love Dublin city and anyone who doesn't can f*ck off to some sh*t town down the country full of in-bred GAA tossers.

Is that a dig at me??? If it is, its funny!:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Camarague

I used to see tourists with their bumbags and camcorders straying off down North Strand Road or somewhere and boy did I cringe. Reminded me of that scene in Trainspotting when the tourist lands into the pub asking can he use the jacks.

I saw this exact situation happening in San Francisco. Two tourists heading into one of the most dangerous areas of San Francisco (extremely dangerous - shootings by the week).

This is not unique to Dublin. You have to be aware in any city that there are areas to avoid.

Camarague wrote: »
    I saw this exact situation happening in San Francisco. Two tourists heading into one of the most dangerous areas of San Francisco (extremely dangerous - shootings by the week).

This is not unique to Dublin. You have to be aware in any city that there are areas to avoid.

I should really have stated that I was comparing Dublin to other European cities that it is supposed to be on a par with. Having been to most European cities I believe that Dublin's inner city is awash with a lot more scum. I suppose it's down to the lack of gentrification in the inner city. The are still loads of council flats while in other European cities the scum have been pushed out to the suburbs and don't venture into the city centers as much.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭donaghs

But unfortunately with Dublin that includes the main streets, whereever scumbags deign to wander. Perhaps we just have to accept more aggressive policing, and the possible negative side-affects of that. I know in Paris or American cities the police won't take any nonsense on the main streets of a city centre, e.g. th business and tourist areas (but have less impact on the "bad" areas).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

A guy ran into the Centra / Subway on Westmoreland street last night at about 11pm, followed by about three or four others who kicked him to the ground, then on the ground. Apparently the guy had called them "****" or hit them or something.

It's hard to know what to do in these situations. A guy getting the living sh*t kicked out of him, and intervention involves taking on 4 or 5 others. I felt sorry for the people working in the shop, as well as the guy on the ground. I kept thinking the police will turn up, but they didn't...

There seem to be gangs roaming the streets.

That has to be on cc footage - did you/anyone call the police ?

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Mike...

Now that your here,can you tell me something....

how much did ya rob from the street artist?

I should really have stated that I was comparing Dublin to other European cities that it is supposed to be on a par with. Having been to most European cities I believe that Dublin's inner city is awash with a lot more scum.

Yep, completely agree. I was in Rome last year, and to be honest, I don't remember seeing any scumbags around there.

O'Connell Street is Dublin's MAIN street and is awash with tourists all the time - it's a shame that they have to see these parasites pissing up against walls/loitering on streets drinking cans/lying down blocking entrances cos they're so out of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

Anyone see at the top of Grafton Street the Stick Man performer? A group of scumbags started harrassing him and a punch-up ensued...im not sure if the performer's group threw punches, but the scumbags definitely were - the sound man was left with a massive shiner, the guards were called as well...

Then about an hour later on Henry St, firemen were cutting open the entrance to Permanent TSB with chainsaws...no idea what was going on there! anyone else know?

Definitely related. It is/was a conspiracy! Me auntie's hanging balls between her thighs; bollox!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭IzzyWizzy

It would be a great city..... if it wasn't for the scum. Like others have said, all cities have their scum but usually in the suburbs and fighting among themselves. You can't walk around the city centre in Dublin in broad daylight without seeing scores of them. Makes the place look an absolute kip. When I used to work for the tourist board, I had people asking me about them and why nothing was done about them. It was downright embarrassing.

Of course Dublin's full of scum when our genius forefathers built lots of corporation flats in the area.
    Also, what idiot decided to build a boardwalk along the Liffey? Nothing but junkies dealing and arguing all day long.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Hi-Tek93

Sure dublins bad but from my experiences Navan is worse....its full of pikeys who are much worse than scumbags...ive been beaten up 3 times in the last 2 years...in cases of 3 on 1 and 2 on 1....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement