Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Labour Saving and General Guntering

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Here's a great link I came across to sharpening a chainsaw correctly.

A sharp chainsaw is a safe chainsaw. It is a laboursaving exercise as the saw will do the work, not you!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvcCh2XqEPc&feature=related

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

I normally sharpen my saw with the bar held in a vice. I moved my vice recently to where it is about waist high. I can get at it comfortably from both sides now. It makes a huge difference. Before that, I had it on a high bench where I could really only get at it comfortably from the one side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Juniorhurler

We do a few sections about the place here seeing as we do a bit of embryo transfer work with the blues. Well, the old man does still but I went away from it due to the expense. I still have a few embryos frozen to be used so I will have a few too despite me not going to flush anymore. Anyhoo, I wanted a calving gate, priced them at €325:eek:. Cue some 8' scaffolding ledgers, half a box of welding rods and 5 hours later.

050-1.jpg

Closed position

051-1.jpg

Open position.
    Total cost roughly €50

Still need to paint it and hang it but it should work a treat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

Class job junior, looks good . I want to make a couple of different sized gates for the shed and I never thought of the 8ft scaffold bars . Great idea thanks for the pics

moy83 wrote: »
    Class job junior, looks good . I want to make a couple of different sized gates for the shed and I never thought of the 8ft scaffold bars . Great idea thanks for the pics

I bought 200 of them at €3 per bar.

• Advertisement

I bought 200 of them at €3 per bar.
    I have a blast of scaffolding already from the good old days , my only problem is that i cant weld :mad: . But I'll cut out all the pieces and the father will stick them together

• Registered Users Posts: 3,792 ✭✭✭Odelay

Nice work Junior, looks tidy. What will you do with the end on the fouth bar from the top? end-cap or weld a 45° brace? Looks like it could be a hazard with the cut end. If it were me and I could weld I'd whack in a 45° brace to avoid hand or beast getting injured. have to say it is a nice job. :)

Odelay wrote: »
    Nice work Junior, looks tidy. What will you do with the end on the fouth bar from the top? end-cap or weld a 45° brace? Looks like it could be a hazard with the cut end. If it were me and I could weld I'd whack in a 45° brace to avoid hand or beast getting injured. have to say it is a nice job. :)

I'm all over it;). Already have an end cap welded on though the photo doesn't really show it.

How much for the dog? :p

Muckit wrote: »

lol. He is the ultimate labour saving device so the picture fits right in.

That poor auld hoor is 11 and has been run over by a milk lorry and a silage trailer. Has had almost all his teeth kicked out and is still coming back for more. A lorry man offered the boss €1000 for him in 2004 and he turned him down flat. He was a great dog in his day. We have a young dog in training now. He took 25 sucklers with calves at foot out of a field on his own on friday at 15 months old. Has the makings of a good one too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭jimmy G M

lol. He is the ultimate labour saving device so the picture fits right in.

That poor auld hoor is 11 and has been run over by a milk lorry and a silage trailer. Has had almost all his teeth kicked out and is still coming back for more. A lorry man offered the boss €1000 for him in 2004 and he turned him down flat. He was a great dog in his day. We have a young dog in training now. He took 25 sucklers with calves at foot out of a field on his own on friday at 15 months old. Has the makings of a good one too.

We have to lock our dog indoors when moving cows with calves at foot. They go mad at the sight. I'd say they was a fair few hoof marks after that on friday;)

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭stock>

Would anyone have the measurements, pin sizes for a tanco 9/7/8 quick hitch. Some photographs would be appreciated.................
    Regards
    Stock

Came across this little bit of guntering on my travels.....;)

p6200328.jpg

p6200330.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭johnpawl

Now why didnt i think of that! Solves a few problems for me very easily!
    Came across this little bit of guntering on my travels.....;)

p6200328.jpg

p6200330.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

was going to ask the same. you can just see the potential that is in his eye.

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭PatQfarmer

When getting fertiliser in small bags, I always carry from truck onto pallets on bales. We back in beside bales, so no difference in height from flat truck. Easy to load into spinner. Saves all the lifting.
    Any suggestions for improvement?

misc235.th.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭jerdee

Ladder to get up.

Good idea Pat . The simple ones are always the best , I dont have any ideas to improve it but a question about the fert - What did you think of the Target fert ?

jerdee wrote: »
    Ladder to get up.
    And you're not joking! Currently putting knee on top of bale and pulling myself up off a bag end. Someday, the bag will rip and put fertiliser everywhere or I'll pull one down on me:(
    Some safer method to be installed tonight!

Good idea Pat . The simple ones are always the best , I dont have any ideas to improve it but a question about the fert - What did you think of the Target fert ?

First time spreading it last night. Cheaper! 24-2.2-4.5 = €370/ton delivered:)
    It goes through my normal bag/acre setting slightly faster, but the granules look good and spread well.
    Will let you know in 12-14 days:D

• Advertisement

We got it aswell because it was 40E cheaper and werent very impressed with it , but it was hard to tell with the the feast and famine kind of growth we had . Just wondering what other people thought of it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

PatQfarmer wrote: »
    Any suggestions for improvement?

misc235.th.jpg

I made something similar this year. I found 2 beer kegs and put them beside the yard scraper. Solid timber pallet on top and I have a handy platform. I can unload the fertiliser bags from the trailer then, without lifting above waist high. Very handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

PatQfarmer wrote: »
    And you're not joking! Currently putting knee on top of bale and pulling myself up off a bag end. Someday, the bag will rip and put fertiliser everywhere or I'll pull one down on me:(
    Some safer method to be installed tonight!
    Use a solid square bale to step up on;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

would be even more interesting if you had a little spark come from somewhere. nearly blew the roof off a place last year when a bag of kieserite started smouldering and burning with an angle grinder spark

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

One of the creep gates that we have to allow calves to forward feed ahead of cows. It can be moved around with a bale carrier and just tied into place to allow the calves work through it.

picture.php?albumid=1565&pictureid=13218

Better than any lawn mower ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭tim04750

We got it aswell because it was 40E cheaper and werent very impressed with it , but it was hard to tell with the the feast and famine kind of growth we had . Just wondering what other people thought of it

The auld fella used target for the first time this year on the silage ground ,I used Goulding as normal on mine ,we spread the same amount of units and usually the crops on his land are a wee bit heavier than mine but this year his silage was noticeably lighter mine, neither crops were what you would call dog heavy,but you'd expect that with the growing conditions, it was cut early june during the blast of good weather ,neither of us grazed.
    The remaining target fertilizer was returned to the supplier.

And it wasn't any cheaper its just he didn't specify any particular brand it was just what came on the truck and didn't think anything of it and neither did I

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭GERMAN ROCKS

yes its always gouldings is what i get too but am interested about the other brands too. Anybody se nitrofert or ifi either and how do ye find them. are tthey much cheaper?

I posted pics of a calving gate that I made a few days ago. Here is the finished set up all ready for putting zips in cows sides this winter.

This is a head gate that we already had in place in the calving pen. Home made as well about ten years ago.
    012.jpg
    005-1.jpg

The calving gate that I made is hung off of this head gate
    007.jpg
    008.jpg

This didn't solve the problem of the cow moving/staggering to the right so I decided to make a three bar gate to support the cow at the other side. This is removable and just drops into place. You will also notice a third gate in the background to finish off the pen.
    009.jpg

To lock this gate into place I welded a chain to the 3 bar gate. I made a "lug" to clip the chain into place.
    010.jpg
    011.jpg

Just a lot of wire brushing and the dreaded painting to be done now.:D:(

• Advertisement

Mighty piece of work there Junior . It has me inspired to give welding a go again , I would love to be able to make up something like that its a credit to you

Advertisement