Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Predictions!! Good or Bad???

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭ALincoln

errlloyd wrote: »
    You realise we are the 4th year of a syllabus? And therefore have barely any past questions.

And I remind you we have none for certain topics because of the way the course rotates?

What are you talking about? It's quite simple - you do three substative topics and one topic for the documents question. These topics are selected from a set list, which contains cirricular content, which is generally contained in text books or notes distributed by teachers, which students generally learn if they want to pass. There is not much room for uncertainty TBH.

As for there only being a few years of past papers, I didn't quibble with this - the new syllabus is far more student friendly than the old one. I tackled the limited number of questions available (although remember each topics has 4 questions, so for example in Dict and Dem, there would be 16 questions rather than just 4 [or 3 as it was for me]. Some might not find this enough, but I clearly lacked that insatiable apetite). Sample papers (esp. Edco) also tended to mimic the real thing convincingly, so I also gave them a shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,602 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

ALincoln wrote: »
    What are you talking about? It's quite simple - you do three substative topics and one topic for the documents question. These topics are selected from a set list, which contains cirricular content, which is generally contained in text books or notes distributed by teachers, which students generally learn if they want to pass. There is not much room for uncertainty TBH.

As for there only being a few years of past papers, I didn't quibble with this - the new syllabus is far more student friendly than the old one. I tackled the limited number of questions available (although remember each topics has 4 questions, so for example in Dict and Dem, there would be 16 questions rather than just 4 [or 3 as it was for me]. Some might not find this enough, but I clearly lacked that insatiable apetite). Sample papers (esp. Edco) also tended to mimic the real thing convincingly, so I also gave them a shot.

Nice one, cause we are the 4th year, which means 3 years came before us. That means we had 3 or 12.

But then consider that most of us (me included) just bailed on democracy completely, I had about 4 past paper question.

Go onto the history past papers now, and tell me how that would have possibly benefited me. Apart from that one question that needs to stop repeating, nothing else repeated. And who gives a crap about the silly Jarrow crusade anyway, I care little enough about Irish economic history, its a small town in Newcastle. There was one benefit from the past papers and that was finding what not to study, not the other way round.

Congratz on your A1, I expect one too, but past papers wouldn't have got it for me.

Btw course rotation means we had no paper, bar yours for Later Irish history (I think)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭ALincoln

errlloyd wrote: »
    Nice one, cause we are the 4th year, which means 3 years came before us. That means we had 3 or 12.

But then consider that most of us (me included) just bailed on democracy completely, I had about 4 past paper question.

Go onto the history past papers now, and tell me how that would have possibly benefited me. Apart from that one question that needs to stop repeating, nothing else repeated. And who gives a crap about the silly Jarrow crusade anyway, I care little enough about Irish economic history, its a small town in Newcastle. There was one benefit from the past papers and that was finding what not to study, not the other way round.

Congratz on your A1, I expect one too, but past papers wouldn't have got it for me.

Btw course rotation means we had no paper, bar yours for Later Irish history (I think)

Yeah, that does introduce a bit of uncertainty for you. Imagine how it was for us.:) In cases like that, taking a look at older exam papers for guidelines (while remembering that it was an older syllabus) can provide pointers. You have to work with what's available. That was the topic with Parnell though, am I right? It is hard to imagine that he wouldn't come up in that section, so maybe it wasn't 100% uncertain after all.

It is unfortunate that British econ history came up, but then it does have a case study, and the welfare state/ Keynesianism etc is quite important.

Good luck with the result, hope you get your A1!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,602 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

ALincoln wrote: »
    Yeah, that does introduce a bit of uncertainty for you. Imagine how it was for us.:) In cases like that, taking a look at older exam papers for guidelines (while remembering that it was an older syllabus) can provide pointers. You have to work with what's available. That was the topic with Parnell though, am I right? It is hard to imagine that he wouldn't come up in that section, so maybe it wasn't 100% uncertain after all.

It is unfortunate that British econ history came up, but then it does have a case study, and the welfare state/ Keynesianism etc is quite important.

Parnell came up as a compare and contrast with Butt.

I'm not complaining about the paper really, I am one of these people who just reads everything, I have a pretty good memory and then I formulate my answers on the day. But I know a lot of essay memory people who would have blown me out of the water if their questions had come up, but they didn't.

I just think I got a bit lucky, like I knew quite a lot about Butt from being alert in class, I didn't study him.

Similarly someone who has trouble reacting to a question didn't have a hope in European history. "Dictators using propaganda and intimidation", I'm sure you agree Lincoln that is an absolute peach of a question, really really easy. But if you don't have a broad knowledge of the course you get screwed. Similarly if you did the reasonable thing and ruled out Russia because of its double wammy in 07-08 you're already on half marks.

The treaty negotiations question wasn't too sharp either tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭internetaddict

For everything except history and Irish Paper 2 and I've yet to find out about music

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭Secoundrow

yep for most

ag science- spot on
    biology- well im fuc*ked
    construction- spot on
    english spot on

Advertisement