Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Predictions!! Good or Bad???

Options
  • 17-06-2009 7:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭

well has predicting papers in the exams worked for ye?

ive predicted alot and left alot out of many of the courses. it worked great. didnt get caught out once. worked a charm:D
    i think you have to predict papers cause the courses are to long to get every bit of material covered.

did anyone get caught out or have any problems? i hear the higher irish paper was a bit strange.
    would you advice predicting?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

yeah, i'd advise predicting. It gives you a bit of a thrill leading up to the exam because you hope what you learned comes up :)

I made a massive gamble in my accounting. In my test, i had to do 4 questions. I took a chance and only looked over 4 certain types of questions out of about 10. and luckily for me, the 4 questions came.

So predicting has to be done. But be sure you predict well :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Dante

Worked like a charm for English and geography......failed badly for history!

All in all I was pleased with the predictions this year!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Worked great for English and Physics (experiments), failed on the option question for Geography though.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭tootyflutty

will let you know tomorrow ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,602 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

English : Nailed it
    Classical : Nailed it
    Physics : Nailed it
    History : Thank **** I don't rely on it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭D.R cowboy

errlloyd wrote: »
    English : Nailed it
    Physics : Nailed it
    History : Thank **** I don't rely on it.

what you think about the "challenges to the tradition" instead of Rites of passage? for religion man

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Dubs

its been a very predictable year for most subjects i think, only one of mine it didnt really work for was maths, so im happy enough... bleach for chemistry next year :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭7Steve

Worked grand for most subjects :)

But lets not forget that Irish P2 "Stair na Gaeilge". What a disaster that was, no way could you have predicted that thing...

D.R cowboy wrote: »
    what you think about the "challenges to the tradition" instead of Rites of passage? for religion man

Was that on any of the mocks ?

Tbh just do them both.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭SarcasticFairy

Wasn't really caught out anywhere, besides when I tried to pick a second stair question in Irish, but meh, I literally only learned two, so you can't win them all :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭D.R cowboy

Was that on any of the mocks ?

Tbh just do them both.

you said humanist is that for the first q or the 2 man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Bat_Ami

Worked like a charm for English and geography......failed badly for history!

SO TRUE! History was disgraceful. Even the stuff that I predicted right came up in a weird way like Stalin's Show Trials and the Jarrow March! Don't have a clue what they were up to for early Irish either!

Ahhhhh if I don't think about it, it didn't happen lallalalalalla....
    Classical studies?! Really?! The Penopolesian War questions nearly killed me. I think I spent 5 mintues just staring at the questions and praying that if I read them again they would magically change. The rest was grand though, but that's down 25% already :(
    Thank goodness it was the last exam or I would have cracked up!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Didn't work for History. No sir. We got pretty damn crazy essays this year actually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭OxfordComma

phasers wrote: »
    Didn't work for History. No sir. We got pretty damn crazy essays this year actually.

Amen to that. I'm quite annoyed at the fact that they tried to screw us over this year in History. Like surely they're aware of the fact that it's not possible to cover the entire course in depth... They shouldn't be trying to catch students out. Like I was certain (as was everyone else in the country) that a question on the economic policies of C na nGael and Fianna Fail would come up...but only half of it came up, and it was only half a question! Thank god I'd learned those 13 chapters from the politics section... And and and, they more or less gave a question on the Jarrow March for the fifth time in a row (06-09 + sample paper)!! Like are they off their heads on acid or what??:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Damien671

Predictions worked fairly well for me English had it all predicted
    But Irish p2 stair na gaeilge screwed me and construction was a bit odd but ok

• Registered Users Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

Didn't work for art...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 62 ✭✭SugoiHito

creggy wrote: »
    Didn't work for art...
    You mean art history?Yeah,its a big gamble cos the course is so big and some teacher choose not to cover most of it!I was so caught up studying for biology that i neglected my art history completly and just looked over la tene and Michaelangelo in the last half hour before exam and woooh they came up so it worked really well for me!Didnt predict the rest...just studied everything!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭ALincoln

1fahy4 wrote: »
    Amen to that. I'm quite annoyed at the fact that they tried to screw us over this year in History. Like surely they're aware of the fact that it's not possible to cover the entire course in depth... They shouldn't be trying to catch students out. Like I was certain (as was everyone else in the country) that a question on the economic policies of C na nGael and Fianna Fail would come up...but only half of it came up, and it was only half a question! Thank god I'd learned those 13 chapters from the politics section... And and and, they more or less gave a question on the Jarrow March for the fifth time in a row (06-09 + sample paper)!! Like are they off their heads on acid or what??:mad:

The people who devise the History exam are not trying to catch anybody out. They are trying to test your knowledge of the course, and therefore are completely within their rights to examine material that has appeared before on the paper.

ALincoln wrote: »
    The people who devise the History exam are not trying to catch anybody out. They are trying to test your knowledge of the course, and therefore are completely within their rights to examine material that has appeared before on the paper.

Do you do history?

My History teacher is retiring this year, he's been teaching for 40 years. He says after the history paper most of the Dublin history teachers have a dinner and discuss it, apparently they were extremely annoyed, he says it will be marked quite nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭dermo1990

Only predicted for english and irish. payed off in English paper 2, kinda worked in Irish paper 2 (hl)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭OxfordComma

ALincoln wrote: »

...Did you actually read what I wrote? I think asking a question on social and economic problems in Britain four years in a row IS trying to catch people out, but maybe you think differently? My point is that the History course is very, very long, much more so than any other subject. And I'm not writing as some kind of slacker that only crammed the night before, and hoped for the best. I worked at History for my entire LC year, and I still didn't have enough time to learn everything on the course. We don't have time to learn EVERYTHING, so I think it's reasonable to expect that the examiners won't try and catch us out by repeating topics several years in a row. Did you actually do History?

...Did you actually read what I wrote? I think asking a question on social and economic problems in Britain four years in a row IS trying to catch people out, but maybe you think differently? My point is that the History course is very, very long, much more so than any other subject. And I'm not writing as some kind of slacker that only crammed the night before, and hoped for the best. I worked at History for my entire LC year, and I still didn't have enough time to learn everything on the course. We don't have time to learn EVERYTHING, so I think it's reasonable to expect that the examiners won't try and catch us out by repeating topics several years in a row. Did you actually do History?

Its not as long or unpredictable as classical studies, but still very long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Michaelrsh

I agree, history is far too broad, it should be shortened to two topics instead of four - maybe an essay or two per topic on the exam paper. Anyway, what can I say, there's nothing much we can do about it now that we're finished the exam, I hope the exam in marked nicely!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Fringe

Not chemistry... Didn't expect that but what came up was really easy.

Biology worked really well. I sure prepared that vagina.

Fringe wrote: »
    I sure prepared that vagina.

What does preparations of a vagina involve? Some sort of tenderisation or lubrication, or do you mean more in the foreplay masturbation sense of the word?

Don't worry if this is 18+ we are all college students now (except ironically the RE students, and a couple musician and applied maths heads)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭jefreywithonef

Got screwed over in History. Was going for an A2 in that subject but I'll be lucky to get any sort of a B.

Would have loved the first English Paper II (with deception) but the second EPII worked out not too bad either.

Irish went well apart from stair na gaeilge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭ya-ba-da-ba-doo

Worked for english and accounting and i suppose it saved me learnin a few proofs in maths.. Although the time i spent predicting could have been a bit better spent studying! Ha

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭tootyflutty

...Did you actually read what I wrote? I think asking a question on social and economic problems in Britain four years in a row IS trying to catch people out, but maybe you think differently?

It is not to catch you out, in fact quite the opposite, they feel that seeing as it has come up so many times it may have been answered better this time, but going on opinions from the paper it doesn't seem that way. As the daughter of an examiner I can tell you, that when questions are answered badly they are asked again and again. You are able to look up how well people do on certain questions and obviously this was answered badly for the past number of years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭ALincoln

I did do History, got an A1. I learnt past questions by doing exam papers - I didn't eliminate questions out of hand just because they had come up before.

• Advertisement

You realise we are the 4th year of a syllabus? And therefore have barely any past questions.

And I remind you we have none for certain topics because of the way the course rotates?

Advertisement