Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone find Raheen/Dooradoyle starting to get scummy?

Options
  • 17-06-2009 6:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭

Ive noticed over the last 2 years,i walk places most of the time and see alot of scobes hanging around looking shifty,not just teens but adults.During the hot weather,i went for a walk around 8pm and i saw droves of scobes going round with bags of cans,the bus shelters are being busted on a weekly basis,there seems to be alot of break ins in the area.Even an older taxi driver i use regular said there was a few parts of raheen/dooradoyle that have some serious scobes living in now,in the local media you see alot of addresses starting to crop up in the court reports

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Starting to?

There has been a growing rougher element in parts for the last 10 years or so, and the relocation of certain types into the area has only made things that little bit worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭irishvamp90

Well im only starting to realise these things.is there any figures on how many are getting relocated?outside of that you got heath boards jobs being dumped in the area

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

No part of Limerick and the surrounding areas is immune. It will only get worse too. I have yet to see any initiative being implemented that will change this either. Re-generation is an expensive joke, a scumbag is a scumbag whether they live in a dump or a mansion.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Oh sweet jesus, there was a match on. No wonder it happened. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

match???i walk that road every day and sometimes night.I would have hoped from the hospitial to the roundabout was pretty safe and well lit area.Also the nun that helps in raheen church got mugged at half 10 in the morning a while back about 40 yards from the church by a young scumbag:(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Its clearly all to do with the HSE and Re-generation scheme giving shifty people houses out here.

Just a disgrace!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

In D'doyle you can see hoards of them sitting around outside Supermacs in the evening up to no good. The fact they have a security guard in there says it all. In Raheen, they like to congregate by Raheen Stores. Such a pity that nice areas of the city are now being ruined by scummers.

Glad people agree with me,hope more people add to this thread,yeah the crowd hanging around raheen stores gets very scummy alrite,have they an off licence there that seems to draw them aswell.The word around is that Vartry ave has some bad families living there

• Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

double post

• Advertisement

Its clearly all to do with the HSE and Re-generation scheme giving shifty people houses out here.

Just a disgrace!

No it's not. At least not related to regeneration. Regeneration has nothing to do with moving scobes into new housing estates..at least not yet as they haven't actually started building new houses yet (and probably never will). What you are seeing is the social rehousing scheme in action which has been existence for years and more people are now taking advantage of it. When people see families being rehoused they always get this mixed up with regeneration. One thing has nothing to do with the other.

Under social rehousing families are supposed to be vetted but most are not. The majority are fine of course. And Willie O'Dea and others have denied the council have ever recieved complaints about people rehoused under this scheme. He publicly said this on the radio. An outright lie of course. I know 2 families where I live who were rehoused under this scheme and they are fine. Then again 3 families where I live got evicted in the last 5 years after the community making representations again and again to local councilors and TD's. The reasons were due to continued anti-social behaviour, and drug dealing. There are 2 more families who are up to the same, cars pulling in at all hours, parties, shouting and roaring, vandalism but nothing done about this yet. I also know of 2 other estates where this sort of thing is going on. If people have scumbags living in their estates causing trouble, you should complain to the authorities. Afterall they are the ones responsible for putting these people here. Also get an alarm and a good watchdog and try not to be a soft target for these scum. The guards can only do so much, try and identify the ring leaders to them, but unless you have CCTV evidence or witnesses it's hard to make progress. Over many years of putting up with this, ultimately - Fear is the only solution these gougers understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭betonit

plenty of scobes from raheen and grew up there...plenty. Thats from a cop.

Too true. Not everyone who is a scobe is someone who has moved in from elsewhere under social rehousing. Lot's start out as indigenous "wanna be" scobes and fail upwards from there. Seems to be fashionable these days too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

I would like to say you're wrong but you're not.

There is a few dodgy looking characters around alright. I've lived in Glencairin 2005-2006 and on Fr. Russell Rd. since then. The place has definitely got a bit worse, particularly in the last year or so.

However, maybe its just me but it seemed to reach a peak about six months ago and now has dropped off a bit in the visibility of scobes. My girlfriend and I go for a walk around the area every second evening or so and I go for a run a good few evenings too, so we seemed to notice this.

One thing I think as well about these areas, that there seems to be a lot of wannabe scobes around the place too. You know, the kind of teen that likes to dress, walk and look tough, but actually comes from a decent family etc.

The problem with the wannabe's though is while they may have had a good upbringing and have no negative socio/economic factors which may result in them turning to crime, they eventually fall in with the wrong crowd. Case in point. 1 wannebe where I live recently had his car burned out by "real" scobes. The cause of this was that he fell in with these scumbags, and probably got involved in a drug dispute. Of course having his car burned out, and the cops to his parents door just grew his ego. The problem now is that the real scobes are hanging around the area. Years ago these "mobile knacker units" in their hiace's would only come around to burgle you now and again. Now they have infiltrated all areas of society.

You can be born in Dooradoyle and Raheen and be a scumbag also.

My old neighbours(when living at home) were and still are a great upstanding family but there is a black sheep in the family. He was grand one year and the next year for no explainable reason he turned into a complete scumbag and his new friends were scumbags as well. They were from a different part of the city.

So although he attracted a larger scum element he was in fact now a scumbag as well.

Raheen and Dooradoyle is also overdeveloped with a large mixed population from all different walks of life and countries. It cannot really by summed up by one generalisation.

It's happening everywhere. Peer pressure I guess. And it's happening more and more in areas that are overdeveloped as Berty said. The only solution is to win the lotto, move to a closed community with private security, where newcomers are vetted by a residents committe, and they have to give an undertaking their kids go to a recommended private school. Also curfews should be enforced and no shouting/roaring after 9pm at night and no anti-social behaviour of any sort tolerated. I seem to remember an episode of the Outer Limits where that was crack, and chidren behaving like scobes were sent away by their parents to be recycled into fertiliser :D

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭betonit

How many decenet families (living there for years) have upped sticks and moved out to the sticks in the last few years. I know 4 off the top of my head. And a few more that want to leave. What will be left in a few years time.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,153 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Plenty of scum out in the stix too. Not just confined to the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭bantee

Put all the scum onto a big prison island. They can be as anti-social as they like there: take turns robbing each others' houses, ride horses bare back, take as much drugs as they like (even grow them like The Beach), and build their own civilization of scummers where they can't affect the rest of society. Problem sorted :D

• Advertisement

bantee wrote: »
    Put all the scum onto a big prison island. They can be as anti-social as they like there: take turns robbing each others' houses, ride horses bare back, take as much drugs as they like (even grow them like The Beach), and build their own civilization of scummers where they can't affect the rest of society. Problem sorted :D

Let's just put them on an island and have a real life Battle Royale.

Damn I love that film. :D

An old friend of mine is from Hull in the UK which was a major runtime/impoverished area. People that could get out did, leaving all the scum behind. Problem was for potential thieves, nobody had anything worth robbing! The place was that poor. Then all off a sudden a string of burglaries took place. The cops in the area referred to the burglar as the 'blip boy', because for years the burglary rate showed up on a graph as a flat line until this guy came along :D Of course, all the burglar did when he broke into these houses was help himself to food. So if the same thing happens in Limerick..all the decent people move out leaving the scum behind, or if the some somehow seggragated from the rest of us, surely the scum won't rob from each other as there won't be anything worth robbing :D

Kess73 wrote: »
    Let's just put them on an island and have a real life Battle Royale.

Damn I love that film. :D

So do I. II sucked a bit though.

bantee wrote: »
    Put all the scum onto a big prison island.

We did but the regeneration project is moving them back out and into YOUR area. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

One thing I think as well about these areas, that there seems to be a lot of wannabe scobes around the place too. You know, the kind of teen that likes to dress, walk and look tough, but actually comes from a decent family etc.

Good to see you dont paint every person with a hard walk, hoodie and tough face with the same brush. Maybe you should buy a running machine and then you wont be so frightened when you leave the house.. My god there are a s**tload of whingers on this forum.

Flaccus wrote: »
    It's happening everywhere. Peer pressure I guess. And it's happening more and more in areas that are overdeveloped as Berty said. The only solution is to win the lotto, move to a closed community with private security, where newcomers are vetted by a residents committe, and they have to give an undertaking their kids go to a recommended private school. Also curfews should be enforced and no shouting/roaring after 9pm at night and no anti-social behaviour of any sort tolerated. I seem to remember an episode of the Outer Limits where that was crack, and chidren behaving like scobes were sent away by their parents to be recycled into fertiliser :D

Thank god people like you are relegated to forums like this and actually have no say in my or anyone elses lives. You call that a solution. I bet your the type of person who turns his back on all his problems.

Stab*City wrote: »
    Thank god people like you are relegated to forums like this and actually have no say in my or anyone elses lives. You call that a solution. I bet your the type of person who turns his back on all his problems.

He was not being totally serious hence the smiley at the end of it, and the line about remembering the tv show where all that happened should have been a giveaway.

Stab city how is that whinging when people want a quiet and safe life?

Anyway back on topic any one else have stories/examples of the scum in the area?

• Advertisement

Stab city how is that whinging when people want a quiet and safe life?

Are any of you actually doing anything to make a difference if so then fair play. But if your not then your just whinging. These people obviously cant make a change for the better on their own. My idea to combat that is not to banish people or degrade them but to offer them another outlet to vent such anger or whatever it is.. Teens wouldnt be hanging around outside your local shop if they actually had somewhere to go and something to do.

Ok i accept there is a minority who will always have evil intentions no matter whats on offer but i dont think all should be painted with the same brush.

I have seen plenty of "scobes" change for the better once they had something else to do besides sit at home, collect welfare and basiclly just exist.

I have lived in raheen/dooradoyle 20+ years and yes there are alot of new families moved in recently (last 4 years) which maybe dont fit into the dog walking, pengiun strolling, bmw owning massively in debt massive but raheen has always been like that.

There has always been teens outside ryans shop, always been teens outside the "ambassador", always been trouble of sorts.

Anyway its not the "scobes" standing around the shops or drinking at the feild you should have the gripe with its the scobes down in city hall that are ruining this city one failed project at a time.

Fair enough if you think the way you do but you are having a quiet life compared to say a citzen of Dublin, London, Paris, New York, LA Limerick is not even a real city by their standards your "scobe" problems are microscopic compared to other peoples problems.

Advertisement