Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This is a very POLITICAL viewpoint but I'd love to get a non-religious viewpoint

Options
  • 17-06-2009 1:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone, out of curiosity I posted a thread in the politics forum with this same post but I would like to get a Christian and Atheistic/Agnostic viewpoint too and see if a religious/non-religious view translates towards someones political views.

Here is my post:
    Go to The Political Compass Website and clcik 'Take the Test' when you have completed the quiz save the picture of your graph and upload to a website such as www.imageshack.us and post your result here.

Here's mine:

pcgraphpngphpm.png

For those of you who are confused, the further towards the bottom of the chart the red dot goes the more socially liberal you are and the further upwards it goes the more socially conservative you are.
    The further left it goes the more anti-business you are, and the further right it goes the more pro-business you are.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭apoch632

Those things are usually way to American centric to really apply here.

There is no real left/right split in America. Its right/center

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I did this test before. Landed, shockingly enough, slightly bottom left. I'll do it properly when I have time later.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Dr. Baltar

apoch632 wrote: »
    Those things are usually way to American centric to really apply here.

There is no real left/right split in America. Its right/center

I agree. Socially the questions seem fine, but I feel that the business questions are way too left in the way that they are asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

polcomp.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

pcgraphpngphpq.th.png

I'm agnostic for the record.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Daemonic

pcgraphpng.png
    No surprise really.

I thought in my old age I'd be a little less idealistic and end up a little more central than I had before:

pcgraphpngphpec450soc4.png

Apparently not.

I'd be quite curious to see where some of our regular Christian posters, like Jakkass, Hurin and CDfm, land on this scale.

Zillah wrote: »
    I thought in my old age I'd be a little less idealistic and end up a little more central than I had before:

Apparently not.

I'd be quite curious to see where some of our regular Christian posters, like Jakkass, Hurin and CDfm, land on this scale.

The same thread is over in Christianity too, and they are all scoring on the left funnily enough.

And old age? I thought you're in college? Or are you one of those rare breed known as "mature student".:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

I've done this not too long ago so won't bother again, test results were very libertarian on the centre-ish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

I did this test before. Landed, shockingly enough, slightly bottom left. I'll do it properly when I have time later.

Me too. (Even when I tried to lie to it. :D)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

Rabid Anti-Theist and a 6.99999 on the Atheist scale:

82917.png

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I'm wondering if I should even bother my arse! I think I want to see someone with a different result first...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Húrin

Apparently not.

I have about the same score as you, perhaps a bit more to the left. I didn't need this to tell me I was on the left though!
    LZ5by5 wrote: »
    The same thread is over in Christianity too, and they are all scoring on the left funnily enough.

Funnily enough?

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    And old age? I thought you're in college? Or are you one of those rare breed known as "mature student".:pac:

I was in college, graduated last year, and no I'm not actually old. But the last time I did it was four years ago or so and I thought maybe my answers would be a little more...jaded.

EDIT:

Curious. I just checked the theist results. We're all going fairly left but the Christians are leaning a little bit more authoritarian on average than we are. Seems appropriate.

Húrin wrote: »
    Funnily enough?

No offence intended.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Naz_st

Far be it for me to rock the leftist boat!

politicalcompass.th.png

^ Now that's an interesting result. I presume you answered quite liberally on the questions about sex/art/authority but apparently you trust corporations, love rich people and think the poor aren't worth your time? (exaggerations of course)

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Naz_st

^ Now that's an interesting result. I presume you answered quite liberally on the questions about sex/art/authority but apparently you trust corporations, love rich people and think the poor aren't worth your time? (exaggerations of course)

Pretty much! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭who what when

pcgraphpng.php?ec=-3.50&soc=-2.10

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Bduffman

I'm closer to the bottom left corner than Gandhi & Nelson Mandela. :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

pcgraphpng.php?ec=-5.88&soc=-6.87

Me, too! Me, too!

Hm, I seem to be slightly further to the south-west than most people here...

Couldn't resist. :)

dades_thumb.png

I would just like to add that my dot is close to Mandela and Gandhi, I always knew I was built in their mould.:p:pac:

Common enough here. Ireland has become a more right-wing country in recent decades. Most of the religious Catholic types I know are conservative but on the left, and most atheists I know are evenly divided between liberal left and liberal right.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

82924.JPG

I feel insulted, somehow? I thought my beliefs would be more rightwing?

Húrin wrote: »
    most atheists I know are evenly divided between liberal left and liberal right.
    Seems to be different to what is emerging here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭cavedave

Economic Left/Right: 2.63
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.41

Everyone else I know comes out as Gandhi. It is interesting to compare where people come with the Irish political parties. Very few people come out as authoritarian but they vote that way.
    ireland2007.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Bduffman

cavedave wrote: »
    Economic Left/Right: 2.63
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.41

Everyone else I know comes out as Gandhi. It is interesting to compare where people come with the Irish political parties. Very few people come out as authoritarian but they vote that way.
    ireland2007.gif

Thats because most blindly vote the way their parents vote. A bit like religion really :D

pcgraphpng.png

It's who I am...

• Advertisement

Dades wrote: »
    Seems to be different to what is emerging here.

Should have emphasised the I know part. Most people I know don't post on boards.

Advertisement