Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free Terthering

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭philiporeilly

copacetic wrote: »
    some people are finding the need to type the apn, username and password in too for MMS to work for them, so those settings mightn't work for everyone

Full details below but as you mentioned the APN etc are missing from the screenshot and need to be entered.

Thanks to Jellysms.com/blog for this and their free tethering

Check to see if your MMS settings are correct in the iPhone

SETTINGS > GENERAL > NETWORK > CELLULAR DATA NETWORK

O2_ie_MMS.jpg

Cellular Data
    APN internet
    Username iphone
    Password password

Visual Voicemail
    APN internet
    Username iphone
    Password password

MMS
    APN internet
    Username iphone
    Password password
    MMSC http://mmsc.mms.o2.ie:8002
    MMS Proxy 62.40.32.40:8080
    MMS Max Message Size 307200
    MMS UA Prof URL (blank nothing inputted here)

VERIFIED WORKS BOTH FOR SENDING & RECEIVING

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭philiporeilly

ADSLUSER wrote: »
    Are these the one for O2 customers?

Yes, works great

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

498660799.png
    This works perfectly, I've turned off the home broadband and am posting on it now, nippier than my 7.2 Mb Esat connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭ADSLUSER

Thanks, checked that MMS and SMS work fine after entering those settings. Now to test the actual tethering!
    Full details below but as you mentioned the APN etc are missing from the screenshot and need to be entered.

Thanks to Jellysms.com/blog for this and their free tethering

Check to see if your MMS settings are correct in the iPhone

SETTINGS > GENERAL > NETWORK > CELLULAR DATA NETWORK

O2_ie_MMS.jpg

Cellular Data
    APN internet
    Username iphone
    Password password

Visual Voicemail
    APN internet
    Username iphone
    Password password

MMS
    APN internet
    Username iphone
    Password password
    MMSC http://mmsc.mms.o2.ie:8002
    MMS Proxy 62.40.32.40:8080
    MMS Max Message Size 307200
    MMS UA Prof URL (blank nothing inputted here)

VERIFIED WORKS BOTH FOR SENDING & RECEIVING

• Closed Accounts Posts: 527 ✭✭✭joeperry

Is this only for unlocked iphones?

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭fbradyirl

joeperry wrote: »
    Is this only for unlocked iphones?

Cheers

No need to unlock. It will work on all iPhones running the 3.0 software which came out yesterday in iTunes

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

This is fantastic, and surprisingly straight forward.

I'm on O2 PAYG. I'm already considering ditching my 3pay modem and limiting myself to 50mb broadband/day. I might even consider switching to O2 bill pay at some stage.

2 quick questions, hopefully relevant:

Does anyone know of a good way to monitor broadband usage, perhaps as a pref in OSX, or using a browser plugin. I'd like to be able to see when I'm approaching my 50mb limit.

Also, what happens if a call or txt comes in while one is tethering? It would be great to be able to use my iMacs speakers and mic for a call, while tethering. (incidentally, it could be handy to be able to send a text message from my phone, with my computer keyboard)

TIA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭kingofslaves

womoma wrote: »
    Does anyone know of a good way to monitor broadband usage, perhaps as a pref in OSX, or using a browser plugin. I'd like to be able to see when I'm approaching my 50mb limit.

Also, what happens if a call or txt comes in while one is tethering? It would be great to be able to use my iMacs speakers and mic for a call, while tethering. (incidentally, it could be handy to be able to send a text message from my phone, with my computer keyboard)

TIA

You don't ask for much then?!!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 527 ✭✭✭joeperry

We can't have our cake and eat it :(

O2 has responded to reports that users have been bypassing the forthcoming iPhone tethering charges by stating it will disconnect or charge offenders.

The internet is rife with reports of a site hosting a file for your iPhone that configures the device to act as a modem, using the free data allowance included in the monthly contract.

However, O2 has smartly responded to the news, telling TechRadar that it will come down hard on such users:

"Internet rumours suggest that some customers have modified their iPhone to enable Internet Tethering without the purchase of the Internet Tethering Bolt On. Any use of this particular feature without the purchase of the Bolt on is specifically prohibited under our terms of service.

Disconnection and option

"Under those terms we reserve the right to charge customers making modem use of their iPhone or disconnect them. If customers wish to use the Internet Tethering feature on their iPhone 3G or iPhone 3G S, we recommend taking the Bolt On which is available from Friday 19 June."

We're still waiting to find out exactly how O2 will know the difference between data on the mobile and on a laptop, although simple usage graphs would show a sharp increase in data consumption.

However, whether this is enough for the network to prove tethering wrongdoing is also unclear, so we're still waiting for clarification on the subject.

Copied and pasted on my iPhone :Dfrom www.techradar.co.uk

I don't want to jailbreak my iPhone. But God I hate o2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭wush06

is this just the case for o2 uk any reports for o2 irl doing this

joeperry wrote: »
    We can't have our cake and eat it :(

O2 has responded to reports that users have been bypassing the forthcoming iPhone tethering charges by stating it will disconnect or charge offenders.

The internet is rife with reports of a site hosting a file for your iPhone that configures the device to act as a modem, using the free data allowance included in the monthly contract.

However, O2 has smartly responded to the news, telling TechRadar that it will come down hard on such users:

"Internet rumours suggest that some customers have modified their iPhone to enable Internet Tethering without the purchase of the Internet Tethering Bolt On. Any use of this particular feature without the purchase of the Bolt on is specifically prohibited under our terms of service.

Disconnection and option

"Under those terms we reserve the right to charge customers making modem use of their iPhone or disconnect them. If customers wish to use the Internet Tethering feature on their iPhone 3G or iPhone 3G S, we recommend taking the Bolt On which is available from Friday 19 June."

We're still waiting to find out exactly how O2 will know the difference between data on the mobile and on a laptop, although simple usage graphs would show a sharp increase in data consumption.

However, whether this is enough for the network to prove tethering wrongdoing is also unclear, so we're still waiting for clarification on the subject.

Eh, we are already paying through the nose for the cake we are eating, don't feel guilty.

Unbelievable, it's available for every other phone at no cost other than the data charges once you exceed your monthly limit.

Daryl, if you are reading this! I am already paying for 1Gb data per month, how dare o2 try and control what I use it for. I am not going to get an o2 mobile add on for what may be a once in a blue moon tethering use, for those planning on using it regularly as their main broadband 1Gb will be hit very quickly and the data add on will be a no brainer.

If o2 bully me out of the ability to tether my phone to my laptop the odd time as I don't use 900Mb's of my monthly 1Gb allowance anyway, I'll cancel my 12 month iPhone contract (I got signed up to a 12 month contract not an 18 month one, still have the contract upstairs to produce when I need to), o2 should tread carefully as there are a lot of customers coming towards the end of their contracts with the 3G and the 3Gs isn't enough of a must have upgrade for existing iPhone owners not to give the 2 fingers if they feel they are being shafted and move on to a different plan or network.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

noice, see what I did there, also using iPhone copy and paste

jeez my keyboard is much more responsive aswell for the non copy and paste text, no delay. Also my screen doesn't get as many finger prints, new os must include print resistent screen, bonus. And all the time streaming music, endless streaming, seriously though sound quality from Bluetooth streaming is second to none

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭Red Alert

So technically how would that work - the carrier settings file is universal per-operator as far as I can see. So is it that they're just disabling the option until they've figured out how to charge fairly rip us off for it.

I just presumed it was free. Absolutely crazy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭Skyuser

My downlaod speed is quite fast. Comparable to 3Mb ADSL.

499000685.png

• Registered Users Posts: 7,717 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

British network O2 have announced that any customer who seeks to by-pass their iPhone tethering bolt-ons will be liable to pay a fee or be disconnected. O2 have come in for intense criticism over their tethering tariffs with many people complaining that they are too expensive, especially since they are more expensive than some of O2's mobile broadband options. The criticism has been heightened by what many see as being excessive charges for upgrading to the new iPhone 3G S. Commenting on the prospect of customers tethering without buying one of their tethering bolt-ons O2 said:

"Internet rumours suggest that some customers have modified their iPhone to enable Internet Tethering without the purchase of the Internet Tethering Bolt On. Any use of this particular feature without the purchase of the Bolt on is specifically prohibited under our terms of service."

Ofcom have now waded into the matter after having told one disgruntled O2 customer that should they receive further complaints they will investigate the issue of O2's tethering charges. The whole iPhone situation has lurched from one PR disaster to another for O2 and the prospect of Ofcom becoming involved surely won't be something that they will relish.

http://www.mobile-review.com/fullnews/main/index_eng.shtml

HA HA

• Subscribers Posts: 16,562 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

good to see ofcom get involved, O2 UK are on very shaky ground charging people more for data across their network depending the handset/method they use.

Especially when they offer unlimited data to iPhone customers and now are saying they'll cut them off if they try and use it!

Here's an idea sign up to o2, enable tethering, tether away to your hearts content until o2 get so infuriated with their zero loss of revenue and disconnect you!
    Move to Meteor or Vodafone with your shiny new jailbroken 3Gs iPhone without any of the crazy costs involved in buying one sim free!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Rob_l

Victor_M wrote: »
    Here's an idea sign up to o2, enable tethering, tether away to your hearts content until o2 get so infuriated with their zero loss of revenue and disconnect you!
    Move to Meteor or Vodafone with your shiny new jailbroken 3Gs iPhone without any of the crazy costs involved in buying one sim free!

I Dont think its that easy, I think you would still be liable for the cost of the contract as you would have broke the terms of service not o2 so they would simply persue you the same way as if you just try to not pay your contract fees.

• Advertisement

Rob_l wrote: »
    you would have broke the terms of service not o2.

I think that is what is in question here... O2 claim that there are terms that the customers have agreed to, but these terms are not in the customer contract and O2 refuse/are unable to issue the terms to their customers....

Bluefoam wrote: »
    I think that is what is in question here... O2 claim that there are terms that the customers have agreed to, but these terms are not in the customer contract and O2 refuse/are unable to issue the terms to their customers....

Could they not just refuse to allow tethering without acceptance of new terms then, as it wasn't originally provided and then can say its a new service which requires new terms.

Im stepping back now I dont want to get into a legal disscussion as its well out of my field of experience.

I just dont think trying to break a contract is maybe the best way to go about trying to get an iphone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭ADSLUSER

After enabling tethering successfully yesterday, the menu option to switch on/off tethering has now disappeared. Anyone experience this?

I just dont think trying to break a contract is maybe the best way to go about trying to get an iphone.

You are missing the point - no one is breaking a contract.

1. There is nothing in your contract that does not permit tethering...
    2. It is allowed on other phones
    3. You are already paying for data services
    4. O2 are just trying their luck to extract money from high value customers
    5. Most iPhone users are so blinkered that they will probably pay the extra even though it is accepted when using other phones

ADSLUSER wrote: »
    After enabling tethering successfully yesterday, the menu option to switch on/off tethering has now disappeared. Anyone experience this?

Yep, I did. Hit the roof last night when I discovered it was gone, I'll be majorly pi$$ed if they are manually interfering with individual accounts/phones. I went through the steps again and it's back, I didn't want to mention it incase big bro2ther was monitoring the site here for people who were using it.

Tethering wasn't available when I signed my contract, if, and I'll have a look later, there is a specific mention of thou shalt not tether the data allowance you have already paid for or you'll be disconnected in my contract, I'll back down, if not I'll let customer service management know all about it on Monday.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, we are already paying for a 1Gb data allowance, it they want to throttle VOIP I could understand partially as it's directly affecting the service they are offering, i.e phone calls but eating into data on a PC or the phone itself should be my choice not theirs.

You say this as if you are privileged that O2 allow you to own an iPhone...

... They should consider themselves privileged that you chose to use them as your preferred service provider!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭fbradyirl

cojomo2 wrote: »
    is it possible to get it working on 3 irl with an unlocked handset?

I've just added Three UK support. If someone sends me the Three.ie APN settings I'll add them as well.

See http://jellysms.com/blog

Bluefoam wrote: »
    You say this as if you are privileged that O2 allow you to own an iPhone...

... They should consider themselves privileged that you chose to use them as your preferred service provider!

Now now less of the personal attack eh, I certainly do not feel privileged or thankful to o2 or apple for letting me Purchase an iphone and really dont see how saying that helps this discussion.

It certainly is not about owing any loyalty to a company more about what i see as advising people to potentially break a contract, sure if it is do able do it but advising people to breach a contract with little more than your reassurances that we should be allowed do this in an ideal world rather than be charged extra for things as happens in the real world.

see thats not my bag dude

Now now less of the personal attack eh,

No personal attack there, just a direct response to your comment dude!

• Advertisement

I Dont think its that easy, I think you would still be liable for the cost of the contract as you would have broke the terms of service not o2 so they would simply persue you the same way as if you just try to not pay your contract fees.

As long as I haven't broken the terms that I signed up for, if they cancel my contract I don't owe them a penny.

Advertisement