Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free Terthering

Options
  • 16-06-2009 1:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭

Just found this link on the O2 forums that shows how to setup tethering on the iPhone. Copied it here as I guess they may delete that post over there soon.

Instructions:
    http://www.jellysms.com/blog/

tether_o2_ie1.PNG
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭philiporeilly

works great and just installed. Took 2 mins and now posting here from tethered laptop

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cojomo2

works great and just installed. Took 2 mins and now posting here from tethered laptop

is it possible to get it working on 3 irl with an unlocked handset?

cojomo2 wrote: »
    is it possible to get it working on 3 irl with an unlocked handset?

Yes using jailbreak apps on version 2.0 but this uses apples own service. You need 3.0 for that which hasnt been jailbroken yet. Should be soon though

BTW both bluetooth and usb connections work great as just tested both here now.

Yes using jailbreak apps on version 2.0 but this uses apples own service. You need 3.0 for that which hasnt been jailbroken yet. Should be soon though

na..the phone isnt software or hardware unlocked- its an officially unlocked 1...so will it work?thanks

• Advertisement

BTW both bluetooth and usb connections work great as just tested both here now.

so can bluetooth now connect to non apple devices such as a pc and other brand mobile phones?

na..the phone isnt software or hardware unlocked- its an officially unlocked 1...so will it work?thanks

If its officially unlocked and you can normally download updates I wouldnt see an issue using the method above. You might have to change the MMS settings for your operator which should be available in the support section of their website or by calling them.

so can bluetooth now connect to non apple devices such as a pc and other brand mobile phones?

You can now use bluetooth on the iPhone to tether to a PC or Mac as a 3G modem. You can now (as of 3.0) use tethering for stereo bluetooth headsets.

You can now use bluetooth on the iPhone to tether to a PC or Mac as a 3G modem. You can now (as of 3.0) use tethering for stereo bluetooth headsets.

can you send files such as pictures from your iphone to a pc or other phones with the new update? Or is the bluetooth still limited?thanks

can you send files such as pictures from your iphone to a pc or other phones with the new update? Or is the bluetooth still limited?thanks

Those restrictions are still in place unfortunately

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 16,562 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

been using this most of the afternoon (and now) and it certainly has potential. Depending on pricing for data, I could nearly replace my usb 3g modem, although speeds are a bit slower via the iphone.

copacetic wrote: »
    been using this most of the afternoon (and now) and it certainly has potential. Depending on pricing for data, I could nearly replace my usb 3g modem, although speeds are a bit slower via the iphone.

I was very happy with the speeds and it was perfect for browsing pages and emails. Pages loaded much more quickly than on the iPhone which shows that the connection is quicker than mobile safari can process.

Could be my imagination but thought that it was faster over USB compared to bluetooth. (speed tests welcome if you have them?)

sorry I meant via tethering my laptop to iphone I'm getting slower speeds than I do with a 3G usb modem. My usb modem generally gives me HSDPA though. Certainly browsing via tethering on a laptop is much quicker than direct from phone.

Edit- Not so sure now, it's actually at least as fast, which it shouldn't be. will have to test over longer time. my usb modem varies in speed quite a bit though.

I'll try some speedtests later on when I get a chance to compare with my 3g usb modem. For now here is one tethering va USB. I didn't test with bluetooth. I found that having downloaded the new ipcc, I just went in and enabled tethering on phone when already connected via USB, this triggered auto setup of it as a network and everything worked straight off.

497139259.png

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 5,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭culabula

Will this work with a Speakeasy and the 99c per day access?

BTW, if you are use several computers each one needs iTunes 8.2 for tethering to work (pc & mac). iTunes 8.2 installs extra network drivers for the tethering to work. Took me a while to figure out on wifes Vista laptop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭fbradyirl

Thanks Philip. I've added this info to the original blog post

Many thanks to you for figuring this one out and posting it to your blog.

Those of you using digg.com please digg that blog to give credit where it is due and help spread the word:
    http://digg.com/apple/Free_iPhone_3_0_tethering_on_O2_Ireland_without_jailbreak

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

Wow, just set this up and works great. Just need to sort the bluetooth connection now.
    thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭jamieh

Hi all,

When I try to run “%ProgramFiles%\iTunes\iTunes.exe” /setPrefInt carrier-testing 1 in command I just get an error saying: The file name or directory name is incorrect.

Any ideas?

Was iTunes installed in the default location i.e. Program Files folder? Check it out. Also iTunes needs to be shut down when doing this upgrade.

• Advertisement

jamieh wrote: »
    Hi all,

When I try to run “%ProgramFiles%\iTunes\iTunes.exe” /setPrefInt carrier-testing 1 in command I just get an error saying: The file name or directory name is incorrect.

Any ideas?

Copy and pasting quotes can mess them up sometimes so type those two " again & it should work

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Markjsca1

jamieh wrote: »
    Hi all,

Any ideas?
    Open Run (Start > run ) or (Win + R), then browse to the itunes folder in program files and select the itunes.exe file. Then click open and then (still in the run window) add the /setPrefInt carrier-testing 1 after the last inverted comma and hit run. Make sure you've iTunes closed before all this of course.

Buying a Tesla? Get free credits using my referral link https://www.tesla.com/en_ie/referral/mark65212

Just running this will also do it:

iTunes /setPrefInt carrier-testing 1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Greggy

I have an unlocked IPhone which i got from Italy..I am on Vodafone IRL, I dont think I can even send MMS messages with the 3.0 update!! Is this locked down by network provider aswell?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Greggy

Greggy wrote: »
    I have an unlocked IPhone which i got from Italy..I am on Vodafone IRL, I dont think I can even send MMS messages with the 3.0 update!! Is this locked down by network provider aswell?

Actually got it sorted....
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=60748350&postcount=14

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭ADSLUSER

Can you confirm if MMS still works after installing? I heard reports that installing may disable MMS. Thx.

the settings get blanked, but you just need to retype them, its working fine for me.

copacetic wrote: »
    the settings get blanked, but you just need to retype them, its working fine for me.

MMS settings are shown with the tethering instructions on www.jellysms.com/blog and all is working with tethering and MMS sending / receiving

MMS settings are shown with the tethering instructions on www.jellysms.com/blog and all is working with tethering and MMS sending / receiving

some people are finding the need to type the apn, username and password in too for MMS to work for them, so those settings mightn't work for everyone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭ADSLUSER

Are these the one for O2 customers?

Advertisement