Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda assault case dismissed Feb 2009

Options
  • 16-06-2009 11:35am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭

Does anyone have an update on this scéal from a locked thread earlier this year http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055499551

Off-duty garda Shane Waldron, based at Oranmore station in Co Galway, had been charged with the common assault of Emma Collins at Eyre Square in the early hours of November 25, 2007... Garda walked free after a judge threw out an assault charge against him on a legal technicality

Is this Garda back on duty or has he been re-assigned?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Can't help you there as I haven't heard anything, but how the hell could this case have been dismissed in the first place. He's a scumbag for hitting that lady, end of.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,731 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

... how the hell could this case have been dismissed in the first place.

Read the original thread: the info there is that the DPP "forgot" to file some paperwork within a required timeframe.

Interesting to see whether AGS has policies to deal with people who bring the force into disrepute, convicted or otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

JustMary wrote: »
    Read the original thread: the info there is that the DPP "forgot" to file some paperwork within a required timeframe.

Interesting to see whether AGS has policies to deal with people who bring the force into disrepute, convicted or otherwise.

I did read the original, I was generalizing on how ridiculous it being thrown out of court was. Crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Irish Times Article 16/06/09

After Hours Thread on same subject

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

In the original thread, posters made the point that this garda would lose respect from the public and not be in any position to exert his authority as it were. Also that his colleagues may not wish to work with him.
    I don't live in the Oranmore area, so just wanted a follow-up as to what happened next. Since nobody seems to know, we'll let this thread slowly expire

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭greengreen

I followed the case in the media 2 points that came up were
    1. He did not hit her he shouted at her and
    2. As his case was dismissed he never got a chance to say anything in coutr therefore all that has been reported has been her story. Their are 2 sides to every story.
    I'm not on his side but fair is fair and shr admitted being very drunk and could not remember all that went on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭bigeasyeah

greengreen wrote: »
    2. As his case was dismissed he never got a chance to say anything in coutr therefore all that has been reported has been her story. Their are 2 sides to every story.
    I'm not on his side but fair is fair and shr admitted being very drunk and could not remember all that went on.

Yep two sides to every story.Do you know where I can read up more on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭bazjnr

It wasn't the DPP who "forgot" to file the paperwork but the Garda Siochana Ombudsman Commission who didn't serve a notice in time. So much for them policing the police. Who do you complain to when the Ombudsman messes up?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Fozzie Bear

greengreen wrote: »

Maybe you should read this and specifically the part where the taxi driver stated; "that the man got out of the car and went around to where she was sitting. "He started to beat her -- he slapped her in the face," Mr Felippe said."

An independent witness saw it happen and stated it in open court. The Garda Ombudsman also believed it was serious enough to bring Waldron to court and prosecute him. The case was dismissed on a technicality. Do you think he would have been found innocent if it had gone to trial and he had been allowed give his side of the story? Taxi drivers statement would have been very hard to ignore/disprove in court. Seems fairly obvious to me that he struck her and thought flashing his badge was some sort of immunity pass. He was a tool on a power trip....

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Buglim

Greengreen is a Nark!!!!!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Done to death in original thread.
    No news forthcoming.

SW007.jpg

EDIT, news have come - thread reopened.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

biko wrote: »
    Done to death in original thread.
    No news forthcoming. EDIT, news have come - thread reopened.

Well anticipated there Biko :D

The original thread about Shane Waldron for anyone who wants to catch up with the story. I lost track of it thereafter ....until it quietly dribbled in and out of court again.

Todays News

http://www.galwaynews.ie/15304-oranmore-garda-avoids-conviction-assault-trial
    Judge Leo Malone ordered to strike out proceedings on condition that Garda Waldron make a charitable contribution of 2-thousand-euro to the court.
    In court today, Garda Waldron admitted that an altercation took place but denied assaulting the woman.
    After hearing his evidence, Judge Malone said he was "satisfied that Garda Waldron did strike her" but said it was minor.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭yellowellie

I remember hearing about this and what the taxi driver had said. He used the word 'beat' to describe what he saw.

To me a 'beating' is a complete hiding. However, I work with lots of people from abroad who use the word 'beat' to describe what I would call a slap. I just remember thinking that his choice of language could mean that people would imagine whatever happened to be a bigger incident than it was.

I don't know Garda Waldron but I know someone who knows someone who knows him and they said he tapped her face in a patronising way but certainly not in a way that would hurt. But that's heresay, I don't know what happened on the night and of course he shouldn't have touched her at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Dr McManus

Guards are ordinary people doing an extraordinary job.
    It is a tough job, and I have the greatest respect for them.
    Witch hunting like this does nothing to improve moral for the Guards.
    We should all remember they are human, just like the rest of us.
    When you are in a position like this, you are wide open to criticism and false accusations.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭geekychick

Dr McManus wrote: »
    When you are in a position like this, you are wide open to criticism and false accusations.

Witch hunting?? False accusations?? Can't believe I'm reading this. They are some strong expressions - at the very least :rolleyes:

How about some other strong expressions, like: "Eye-witness", "blatant abuse of power", "closing the ranks"?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

"With great power comes great responsibility"
    If you can't hack it as a Garda, get a job somewhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

There were eye witnesses to this that gave evidence in court initially in the first case which was brought by the Garda Ombudsman. The ombudsman cocked up the case and it was thrown out and now this judge does the same.

It's an absolute disgrace that he got away with this and the judge is just as much a scumbag as the guard in my eyes
    After hearing his evidence, Judge Malone said he was "satisfied that Garda Waldron did strike her" but said it was minor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 457 ✭✭Pwpane

Two witnesses and a judge say she was struck by a 'guardian of the peace' because he wanted to hijack her taxi.

This is not criticism or a false accusation ffs!!! This was abuse of position and common assault. Fair play to her and shame on him!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

this is why the should stop the stupid law of the always have to carry their badge. when the are of duty out drinking the are in no position to carry out any duties. of duty the are the same as the rest of us. different story with your man in donegal who abused the guard when he was drunk and now he has to climb croke patrick for his sins. the judge would have a different story if it was the other way round and the guard got a little slap. the judge made a very bad judgement for every woman who has been a victim of abuse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

In court today, Garda Waldron admitted that an altercation took place but denied assaulting the woman.

really tough job but he was of duty, out drinking showing his badge trying to use his status as a guard to walk over other people. this kind of conduct will do nothing to improve the general public opinion of an garda siochana.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭fernandovargas

i know of a lad who got his jaw broke in town one night by a retired guards son and it was caught on cctv bt amazingly no file was ever sent to the dpp despite the evidence and numerous complaints and reports from the victim, its who ya know with these cowboys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭ILA

Nothing surprising here. Its a sad reflection that this person will be allowed in a post of serious responsibility in which he will be required to use physical force, which he clearly is not capable of controlling.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Boo Radley

It looks like he is one of many that abuse their position. I know of 2 lads in the guarda S. - living at different ends of the country - that regularly use their badge to get into clubs for free on a night of drinking. This kinda nonsense happens all the time.

The above examples are, to use the words of the judge, minor but the principle is the same. I agree that when not on duty the badge should be left at home.

Having said that, although this guy is clearly an eejit of epic proportions, I have to say the guards in Galway are generally a nice bunch, when on duty anyway. Any time I've had a few cans down at the arch and they arrive they politely ask us to finish up and move on. That's reasonable and respectful. Granted I heard there is one older guy not so easy going. Point is, guarda down here are exponentially nicer than they are in Donegal. Not sure why that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

Boo Radley wrote: »
    The above examples are, to use the words of the judge, minor but the principle is the same.

So a garda hits a woman in the face because the arrogant pr1ck didn't get his way and you think it's minor. God help this country, guards are supposed to be so above the law that situations like this should should never even get close to happening

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Boo Radley

So a garda hits a woman in the face because the arrogant pr1ck didn't get his way and you think it's minor. God help this country, guards are supposed to be so above the law that situations like this should should never even get close to happening

Get a grip, I was referring to the examples I gave of two lads using their IDs to get into nightclubs. Of course assault is not minor.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭yeehaw

newmug wrote: »
    Hows anyone going to find out who you are on d'internet? And why is it a liabelous to say that about a judge, but its ok to hit a girl, especially when you have a garda badge?

207_not_sure_if_serious.jpg

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Hows anyone going to find out who you are on d'internet?
    Norwich Pharmacal Order.
    And why is it a liabelous to say that about a judge, but its ok to hit a girl, especially when you have a garda badge?
    Because, rightly or wrongly, the court delivered that verdict and the matter is closed, any potential defamation of a judge is still a live issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭clint_silver

Robbo wrote: »
    Norwich Pharmacal Order.

Because, rightly or wrongly, the court delivered that verdict and the matter is closed, any potential defamation of a judge is still a live issue.

@newmug, if your post was serious about how people find out who you are on the internet, post back for some learning about d'internet stuff.

Is it generally established that he hit her in an abuse of his position as a garda as opposed to any 1 person with a few beers on hitting any other 1 person with a few beers on which could happen in any town on the planet? if ya get me.

Also, from reading here, why are some people bringing gender in to it? Is it established that it was a gender based attack?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

@newmug, if your post was serious about how people find out who you are on the internet, post back for some learning about d'internet stuff.

Is it generally established that he hit her in an abuse of his position as a garda as opposed to any 1 person with a few beers on hitting any other 1 person with a few beers on which could happen in any town on the planet? if ya get me.

Also, from reading here, why are some people bringing gender in to it? Is it established that it was a gender based attack?

I did, it seems it didnt work. I'm nervous now, what're ya goin to do? I am serious:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭clint_silver

I did, it seems it didnt work. I'm nervous now, what're ya goin to do? I am serious:(

When you post on an Internet forum your ip address is logged. The ip can be tracked back to you to either your company or your home ISP. Depending on who the moderator knows
    They could have a name within minutes.
    There are ways of hiding this though so if you're concerned use google. not saying anything about our great boards mods the same holds true for any Internet forum. Generally best not to worry about these things though, just be aware of it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement