Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scumbag Garda.... (Shane Waldron)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

'do you know who you are dealing with?'

"do you know who I am?"
    I don't know. Is the answer "a beater of women"?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

She asked the man to get out, but he asked her why she wouldn't share the taxi. He asked her where she was going, but she refused to say and he began to shout at her.

Ms Collins said he told her he would find out where she lived, and she shouted at him also.

"He then said 'do you know who you are dealing with?' I told him 'I don't care who you are' and he got out and walked around to where I was sitting in the back and pulled out a metal garda badge," Ms Collins said.
    "After shoving the garda badge in my face, he hit me three times with the bottom part of his hand into my chin. I was in shock."

:eek:

What an as*hole! Must of thought he was a big man flashing the Garda badge and assaulting a woman, coward.

The sad thing is this prick is still in fulltime employment, his wages being payed by us in the private sector.

Yet another f*ck up by the DPP.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,208 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Even more shocking than a male Garda assaulting an innocent woman, is, as said above, the fact that he's still working as a Garda :eek: This guy is supposted to be upholding law and protecting citizens... yet it's OK that he goes around beating women?

Hope the Ombudsman gets onto this

disgrace.. at least his name is tarnished.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭kinetic

It doesnt give you much hope when you hear about this type of case.He is clearly guilty,taxi driver saw him do it,his grilfriend apoligised and he was pointed out to a sergeant directly after.Its nice to know hes back on the streets looking after our women folk.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Mun23

Disgraceful, have one or two of them down my way also beating people with their battons and giving people black eyes... Some of the younget lads think they can get away with everything!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭axiom32

is this not a time for us the public to stand up and voice or opinions .....im sure we can get the superintendents or whoever is in charge email and bombard him with polite reminders that we the public wont stand for this **** being on our streets being paid with our tax money...this guy needs to be transfered out of our city ....i mean like oranmore is hardly crime central send this woman beater to moyross if he is such a tough guy

Transferred? Try dismissed...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

From the article this is a description of the technicality:
    At the conclusion of the prosecution case, defence solicitor Gearoid Geraghty sought a direction from Judge Malone to dismiss the case. Mr Geraghty argued that the prosecution had failed to provide proof of a necessary commencement order in respect of Section 104 of the Garda Siochana Act 2005, extending time for the preferring of the charge against his client.
    Can someone explain this in plain English? I don't understand what the grounds for dismissal could be. The woman had evidence (blood) that she was struck. The taxi driver saw the guy hit her, the guy's girfriend saw him hit her and yet it's dismissed because the prosecution didn't do something in time?

axiom32 wrote: »
    is this not a time for us the public to stand up and voice or opinions .....im sure we can get the superintendents or whoever is in charge email and bombard him with polite reminders that we the public wont stand for this **** being on our streets being paid with our tax money...this guy needs to be transfered out of our city ....i mean like oranmore is hardly crime central send this woman beater to moyross if he is such a tough guy

Good idea, but E-mails won't do jack sh1te

Registered post FTW with a hand-written signature

The accused Garda is based in Oranmore, wouldn't be hard to get the Super's name of that station (Or even just address it to the Super)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Frankieboy

This a complete joke.

Total abuse of power, or at least a false sense of power. If I knew more about it I might argue that the entry requirements for An Garda Siochana need to be assessed. There seems to be a lot of power hungry people, that have watched to much television, and think they can do anything they want in the force. This guy should have been nailed to the wall, and it would act a deterrent for the next garda that thinks they can do whatever they like.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭DamoKen

transferring the problem to somewhere else won't solve it. Just look at the Catholic Church's way of dealing with "problem" priests and how that turned out.

malice_ wrote: »
    Can someone explain this in plain English? I don't understand what the grounds for dismissal could be. The woman had evidence (blood) that she was struck. The taxi driver saw the guy hit her, the guy's girfriend saw him hit her and yet it's dismissed because the prosecution didn't do something in time?

Was just discussing this with a classmate here... I simply don't understand how the accused could get away when there was an independent witness stating that the girl was assaulted?

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭aoraki

"At the conclusion of the prosecution case, defence solicitor Gearoid Geraghty sought a direction from Judge Malone to dismiss the case. Mr Geraghty argued that the prosecution had failed to provide proof of a necessary commencement order in respect of Section 104 of the Garda Siochana Act 2005, extending time for the preferring of the charge against his client.

After considering the matter, Judge Malone agreed with the defence submission and dismissed the case."

This is the sort of b@llixology that I hate about the legal system - what does that paragraph above actually mean?! The incident was reported to the guards and an independent witness (the taxi driver) corroborated the young woman's story, and testified to that effect. Yet this is not enough. There's too much of this ****e where a savvy defence lawyer will say something like "Your honour, form XYZ paragraph Blah was not filed in accordance with Section ABC of the Waffle Act 1803, therefore I urge the court to move to strike". Where's the justice in that - does common sense not come into it? It seems that the justice system has moved away from deciding what's right and whats wrong, and is now an exercise in bureacracy.

As for the garda involved, what a complete and utter fcuker. I'm glad that he was named in the national media. And what a great start for the Garda Ombudsman process, it really inspires confidence that it will crack down on corruption and wrongdoing in the Garda Siochaina... (NOT)

Power hungry is right! A few I have met out myself lately seem to think they can do whatever they want alot only recent members of the force! They are no better than anyone else...

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Basically, if Joe Soap commits a summary offence (in this case, assault), it has to be reported within 6 months of the offence.

If a Garda is accused, this period can be extended to 12 months. Someone dropped the ball and didn't apply for an extension to the time period to report the offence. It's not for me to speculate here as to why this happened or who's to blame but it's entirely possible as the Garda Ombudsman was involved and they are a relatively new organisation that there was an oversight of some description.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

What a pr*ck. And an idiot. Do many gardai get away with this behaviour, or think they can get away with it? Hope they manage to somehow prosocute him, or at least eject him from the force. Would be a disgrace if he managed to keep his job after this.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Can someone explain this in plain English? I don't understand what the grounds for dismissal could be.
    aoraki wrote: »
    what does that paragraph above actually mean?!
    From what I can gather (IANAL), the Garda Siochana Act 2005, Section 104 allows for the DPP to issue proceedings within 12 months of the complaint. Normally proceedings must be made within 6 months of the complaint (for certain "petty" offences).

However, when an act is signed into law, a separate "commencement order" needs to be made by the minister for justice basically saying, "Section X of Act Y is to come into effect on date Z".

In this case, there doesn't seem to have been any commencement order for the section in question, so the maximum time allowable to bring proceedings was 6 months, not 12. Assuming that proceedings were issued more than 6 months after the complaint was made, then the case was thrown out because the DPP didn't issue proceedings in time.

S104 of the said Act states;
    104.— Notwithstanding section 10(4) of the Petty Sessions (Ireland) Act 1851, summary proceedings in respect of a matter relating to an offence reported to the Director of Public Prosecutions under this Act may be instituted within 12 months from the date of the offence.

In plain English, the DPP had 12 months from the date of the alleged incident to issue summary proceedings against the accused. They didn't. Proceedure must be adhered to and the Judge was duly bound to strike out the proceedings.

Makes you realise the meaning behind the old phrase 'the law is an ass'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 99qwerty99

Such an ABSOLUTE DISGRACE..stuff like this makes me wanna get on a plane and never come back....unbelieveable. I've heard of people getting a crim record for alot less.

This idiot cop was in school with me...a year or 2 ahead of me. Doing what he was accused of would not surprise me in the least.

how DARE he do that to another human being, never mind a girl. Imagine if that girl was ur sister/wife? This p1g wouldnt be getting away with it that easily.

Is it not utterly WRONG that this morning, this idiot cop is walking round oranmore in his all important uniform, and all important badge on him that apparently gives him the right to do whatever he wishes??? for god's sake.

There are many many decent fair sound cops out there for sure, but whatever it is about the newbies..... is there a problem with their training?? is GI Joe blowing the whistle in templemore telling these guys that they can do what they like and noone can touch them???

Im absolutely appalled, and I don't say that too often

• Advertisement

Robbo wrote: »
    Basically, if Joe Soap commits a summary offence (in this case, assault), it has to be reported within 6 months of the offence.

If a Garda is accused, this period can be extended to 12 months. Someone dropped the ball and didn't apply for an extension to the time period to report the offence. It's not for me to speculate here as to why this happened or who's to blame but it's entirely possible as the Garda Ombudsman was involved and they are a relatively new organisation that there was an oversight of some description.

Wonder if proceedings would have been brought up quicker had it been a civilian assaulting a Garda?

(Yes, rhetorical question :pac:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭sgthighway

Its prIcks like this that give the Gardai a bad name.

While I don't condone violence especially against the Gardai I'd love to see him get a taste of his own medicine. Any dirty gaelic footballers will get their chance if they play against Milltown or the Gardai in Interfirms.

I wonder can the victim take a civil case?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

JohnCleary wrote: »
    Wonder if proceedings would have been brought up quicker had it been a civilian assaulting a Garda?

(Yes, rhetorical question :pac:)
    In theory, yes, because of the fact that proceedings have to be issued against the civilian within 6 months whereas there's an extra 6 months for a Garda. In practice, it all depends on the complexity of the case, the compiling of evidence, the courts lists, the number of witnesses, procedural adjournments....

sgthighway wrote: »
    While I do condone violence especially against the Gardai

Really? :pac:
    I wonder can the victim take a civil case?

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

What a disgrace - the fact that the case was dismissed on a 'tecnicality' and the offence in the first place.

He was probably bullied when he was younger and now he's on a power trip taking it out on people who have never done anything to him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭galwayguy22

So if Garda Shane Waldron pulls me over can I flash my student card in his face and beat him on the face with the palm of my hand?

The general public should refuse to deal with him in whatever circumstance and request to see a different Garda.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

He looks a bit like Jonathan Woodgate (English footballer).

scary, he looks cross :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭Melted M&M

So basically the Gardai can commit offenses as long as they have there badge my trust in the Gaurds has hit rock bottom They close ranks and nobody stands a chance:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Gives meaning to the old phrase: "This is not a court of justice, this is a court of law".

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement