Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What age is too old to wear hotpants/really short shorts?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭LauraLoo

35 is still young bejayses!

if you have the figure for it go for it.

im 25 and i could never wear them so im jealous- i have stumpy legs :(

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

The look is very 'teenage' imo, so regardless of shape I think the cut off point is 20

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭irishvamp90

fifomania wrote: »
    I don't think 35 is too old for them especially if you have a good figure. I'm late 20's and I wore short shorts out walking the other evening and fellas I met whistled but most women looked disgusted and a passerby even said I was going too far. I couldn't care less. I've a good figure and life is too short. If people gave more thought to important issues instead of what someone is wearing the world would be a happier place! :D

how short were the short shorts for walking?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭IzzyWizzy

Honestly, I think they are for teenagers. I'm 24, size 8-10 with a good figure and I wouldn't wear them outside. I wear short skirts but hotpants are way too revealing, IMO. It's like walking around in underwear. I do own hotpants but I wear them in bed or around the house, I'd never go outside in them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 938 ✭✭✭chuci

why are so many people against shorts. op if you think you look good in them and you feel confident in them then wear them out you know you will regret it if you dont.seize the day etc etc. god im very old to be doing a lot of things according to this thread and im only 23:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Looks like you've already made your decision and just want people to agree with you!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Dr_Teeth

I'd say 35 is a bit old for wearing those types of pants in a "fake tan/stilletos/boob tube/night out" sort of way but not too old to wear them in a "t-shirt/flip-flops/summers day" sort of way, if that makes any sense. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 606 ✭✭✭fifomania

how short were the short shorts for walking?

The shorts come to just above the middle of my thigh, couldn't find a pic of something similar. i've seen people walking in what you could call knickers! they are shorts bought from a fitness store so I feel they are suitable for walking in public, especially in the summer.
    I live in a small town so maybe short shorts would be more 'acceptable' in the city?

I like to wear denim shorts out sometimes, never with bare legs though, and I usually get complimented and feel good in them. I feel like i've a good figure and I'm only young once so why not

• Registered Users Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Aoibheann

LauraLoo wrote: »
    im 25 and i could never wear them so im jealous- i have stumpy legs :(

I thought the same too - I have very short legs - but when I got a pair of short shorts (not hotpants now, I couldn't get the confidence for them!) recently I found they make my legs look a lot longer than anything around the knee/cropped trousers/ 3/4 lengths etc. I thought they'd look awful because my legs aren't slim, they'd be muscular (and big :() from martial arts, cycling etc and they're never going to be tiny. But the thing was they actually looked pretty good and this is coming from someone who is paranoid about most things she wears! :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

Dr_Teeth wrote: »
    I'd say 35 is a bit old for wearing those types of pants in a "fake tan/stilletos/boob tube/night out" sort of way but not too old to wear them in a "t-shirt/flip-flops/summers day" sort of way, if that makes any sense. :)
    They are for relaxing on holidays...shudder to the "fake tan/stilletos/boob tube/night out" - I hate being tangoed and have never worn stilletos and my boobs are too big for a tube, would be afraid that they would fall out.

I was curious to people's opinions but in the end of the day you have to go with your gut - do I feel good in them? Yes, did anyone even give a second glance? No...would I wear them down Grafton Street - not a hope.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

It's not abt age, is about wether they suit you or not

I saw a woman in her 60's joggin on a beach last summer who looked better than 90% of the teeny boppers wearin them today

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭LauraLoo

Aoibheann wrote: »
    I thought the same too - I have very short legs - but when I got a pair of short shorts (not hotpants now, I couldn't get the confidence for them!) recently I found they make my legs look a lot longer than anything around the knee/cropped trousers/ 3/4 lengths etc. I thought they'd look awful because my legs aren't slim, they'd be muscular (and big :() from martial arts, cycling etc and they're never going to be tiny. But the thing was they actually looked pretty good and this is coming from someone who is paranoid about most things she wears! :)

Im a pear shape- size 8 on top and 12 on bottom. My ass looks extra big cause my waist and t*ts are so small...id love to be able to pull off the short shorts (with flipflops and a t-shirt-not boob tube and stillettos lol;)). No matter how much exercise i do i have a wobbly bum and thighs... im not complaining- i have come to love my body and its imperfections- but i would love to be able to pull of the short shorts look.

theres a girl who's prob in her mid 20's in one of the leisure centres i attend who wears the tiniest hotpants. She's gorgeous in them! i dont think im gay but i cant keep my eyes off her. because of that, i dont know if i could wear them knowing how much attention they bring.

Plus, my sis in law has lovely long legs and is in her early 30's. She looks gorgeous in her short shorts- doesnt look like mutton dressed as lamb.

but going back to OP- most people on holidays are wearing less clothes than normal so i doubt anyone would be noticing so i still vote "go for it!"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭mood

*Lees* wrote: »
    All depends on how short they are! If you can see your butt cheeks imo it's a big no no! Unless they are bikini bottoms and your on the beach or something!!!
    Short shorts are fine for holidays though if you have the figure for them!
    If your only wearing them for relaxing when at home then why not, it's not like you will be parading down the street in them!!

I agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Babooshka

I don't think 35 is too old for them especially if you have a good figure. I'm late 20's and I wore short shorts out walking the other evening and fellas I met whistled but most women looked disgusted and a passerby even said I was going too far. I couldn't care less. I've a good figure and life is too short. If people gave more thought to important issues instead of what someone is wearing the world would be a happier place! :D

...Blehh someone actually said that in earshot...I'd have told her where to go!

I wear short denimn shorts on hols, I'm 35. (They're not hotpants though but they are short) I have a good figure for 35. I wore them a few weeks back when we had the mini heatwave and no one batted an eyelid, and my fella loves them on me.

Seriously the people who give a sh*t need to go spend a weekend in New York and see how people's attitudes are to what everyone else does over there...you know, they actually mind their own business..unreal!

Op wear them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭jbl123

CathyMoran wrote: »
    They would be like granny pants but as shorts and a tiny bit longer if that, is any help, I will be wearing them out though.

If you are talking about something that is similar to granny pants, then I'd skip them TBH.

I think anyone over mid 20's, even someone who has a body like (Insert name of the hottest celebrity you can think of) would look a bit silly wearing those out.

I think you'd look much more chic in short skirts.

I think they'd be fine on the beach, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 606 ✭✭✭fifomania

Babooshka wrote: »
    ...Blehh someone actually said that in earshot...I'd have told her where to go!
    Believe me, I felt like it but didn't want to be petty. It's not my fault they had a problem with my clothes.
    Babooshka wrote: »
    Seriously the people who give a sh*t need to go spend a weekend in New York and see how people's attitudes are to what everyone else does over there...you know, they actually mind their own business..unreal!
    That is exactly what I think. In New York no-one cares less what you have on. It's funny how small minded or easily shocked some Irish people are. Like they are short shorts, worn in warm weather. I've seen more flesh on show and flimsier clothes on a night out and the flesh on show shouldn't have been on show! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 toucan

Believe me, I felt like it but didn't want to be petty. It's not my fault they had a problem with my clothes.

That is exactly what I think. In New York no-one cares less what you have on. It's funny how small minded or easily shocked some Irish people are. Like they are short shorts, worn in warm weather. I've seen more flesh on show and flimsier clothes on a night out and the flesh on show shouldn't have been on show! :P
    I lived in New York for a few years and people actually do care what you have on. If anything I think that women in Dublin display more flesh. Unlike the rest America, middle or upper class women in Manhattan tend to be quite slim and many obsessively stay fit with pilates classes and regular gym visits well into their late 40s.

But I can safetly tell you that if a 35 year old woman, even one with a PERFECT body, were walking down the streets of NYC wearing hot pants as short as granny knickers, people there would be rolling their eyes. Not because of some sort of prudish ideas but because they'd think she was trying too hard.

Sexy clothing=go for it!!! regardless of age
    Hot pants like what the OP described= tacky tacky tacky...almost like walking down the streets in a nappy.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭chupi

Jeez this is a deeply depressing discussion! She's 35, not 75.

I work with Topshop and one of the girls from ts put it really well, being in Topshop really changes your "sense of skirt"! It's all women and very fashion so we all go round in super short dresses/skirts/shorts, but not in a slutty boobs/tangoed/stilletto way. Clothes are fun, the point of fashion is to enjoy yourself not to think I couldn't wear that because of some imaginary persons disapproval.

We only get one body and only one life, wear short stuff if you look and feel good in it.

Thought I make an exception for these:

sequinshorts.jpg

Only the seriously enthusiastic should ever go near them!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Babooshka

toucan wrote: »
    I lived in New York for a few years and people actually do care what you have on. If anything I think that women in Dublin display more flesh. Unlike the rest America, middle or upper class women in Manhattan tend to be quite slim and many obsessively stay fit with pilates classes and regular gym visits well into their late 40s.

But I can safetly tell you that if a 35 year old woman, even one with a PERFECT body, were walking down the streets of NYC wearing hot pants as short as granny knickers, people there would be rolling their eyes. Not because of some sort of prudish ideas but because they'd think she was trying too hard.

Sexy clothing=go for it!!! regardless of age
    Hot pants like what the OP described= tacky tacky tacky...almost like walking down the streets in a nappy.

I visit New York all the time, and yes, you have a point, people are quite trendy and conscious of their appearance. But they do not stare at others or judge them about their appearance, you see the most outrageously dressed people over there and no one gives a second glance.
    The original post was not asking (as the original poster even said she would not be walking up Grafton Street in them, it's for her hols) was it en vogue in a capital city of a work day to go around in hotpants so I think you might have missed the point.

The reason I brought up the attitude in New york is that the people over there are far more confident and relaxed about appearances to give off the cardboard stiff Irish disapproving looks you get here. That was the point, not that hotpants would go down well on any main street in any city. I agree with you that would be a bit like trying too hard, but that wasn't the point of the post, I think, at least ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

I think the Thread Title should read

"how fat is too fat to wear hot pants"

And if you have to ask......... then you're too fat!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

chupi wrote: »

Thought I make an exception for these:

sequinshorts.jpg

I wore the gold ones as part of a gold fish costume. Fun night :pac:

Regarding the OP's dilemma, I'd say, holidays - yes, grand, do it, it's gonna be hot. As for every day wear here, not a great look!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭IzzyWizzy

+1

I just don't see the point in them. It's not that I'd stare at anyone looking 'different' but to me hotpants are borderline indecent. It's like going outside in knickers. Now for the beach, grand, it's like bikini bottoms, but I don't understand why anyone would want to wear them walking around. They're not flattering (in 99% of cases), not classy and not overly comfortable. They do attract a lot of attention, be it positive or negative and I find it annoying enough having men leer at me without giving them a reason to stare at my arse. To me they're another naff teenage fashion. So what if it's hot? Surely a floaty knee length skirt, linen capri pants, sundress or even a miniskirt would be more comfortable and look much better? I lived in southern Spain for a year and never saw a single person walking around in hotpants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭irishvamp90

I hate the words t*ts girls use breasts or boobs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Kimia

I think you could wear them with black tights. You can still be dressy it just takes away the element of flashing too much flesh. It's like those girls who wear super short dresses with no tights - that's way too much. But if they wear super short dresses with black tights it looks fab!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

chupi wrote: »

sequinshorts.jpg

I saw someone at oxegen wearing them, I think I was actually in a state of shock, and these two lads walking in the opposite direction just turned around staring at her in a state of shock as well :pac:

EDIT: and she wasn't wearing tights either!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

and btw the OP is talking about wearing them on holidays at the beach! no walking down a street in NYC. of course she should wear them on the beach

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭Musha

Just wondering what age people think that it is too old to wear hotpants/really short shorts. Am 35 now with an OK figure (though my bum is a bit bigger than I would like but would still only be a size 6 on the waist and 8 on the bum). I am not for a second suggesting wearing these into work but on holidays or relaxing.

For a Girl 18 max, For a Boys around the 40 mark depending on body hair:D;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭exaisle

Just wondering what age people think that it is too old to wear hotpants/really short shorts. Am 35 now with an OK figure (though my bum is a bit bigger than I would like but would still only be a size 6 on the waist and 8 on the bum). I am not for a second suggesting wearing these into work but on holidays or relaxing.

It has nothing to do with age, but don't you have a good friend whose opinion you trust?

My guess is, if you have to ask, you're too old. Young people do things because they don't know any better. You don't have that excuse.

E.

PS. What else would you really expect your fella to say?? There is no correct answer to the question "does my bum look big in this?".

• Registered Users Posts: 12,153 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Do you really think you should be asking people what you can wear at 35?

Wear whatever you want.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

This thread is crazy, I can't believe some of the attitudes of people here!

Cathy, you sound like you have a great figure, I say wear what you want and feel comfortable in. I know from the LTI forum that both you and your hubby have had a difficult time health wise, so you should know better than anyone that life is too short for self doubt! When you hit 80, you will be sorry that you didn't wear them when you had the figure for it!

Look at Victoria Beckham, she must be pushing 35 and she still has the figure to carry off short shorts. I think it's less to do with age and more to do with having the confidence to carry it off. If you think you look great, you will project that outwards and other people will pick up on it.

I would still wear short shorts on hols (not hotpants, but that's more to do with the dreaded cellulite :rolleyes:) If you are really worried, you could always pick a pair that are maybe half an inch or an inch longer, that may make you feel more comfortable.

I would say go for it girl, who gives a sh*t what other begrudgers think, they're prob just jealous that they don't have your figure :pac:

Advertisement