Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What age is too old to wear hotpants/really short shorts?

Options
  • 16-06-2009 10:27am
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Just wondering what age people think that it is too old to wear hotpants/really short shorts. Am 35 now with an OK figure (though my bum is a bit bigger than I would like but would still only be a size 6 on the waist and 8 on the bum). I am not for a second suggesting wearing these into work but on holidays or relaxing.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Some pictures would be of assistance...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

CathyMoran wrote: »
    Just wondering what age people think that it is too old to wear hotpants/really short shorts. Am 35 now with an OK figure (though my bum is a bit bigger than I would like but would still only be a size 6 on the waist and 8 on the bum). I am not for a second suggesting wearing these into work but on holidays or relaxing.

My opinion? 22 - 23. But nobody should decide this for you - it's about how you feel.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

my conservative husband and father say that they are fine and have seen lots of other people wearing them but then again they are younger than me (but I also do not look my age)...I do not want to look like mutton dressed as lamb though.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

TBH, they're best suited to teenagers or those with the sylph-like figure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 jaaavaaa

I'd say they're fine on the beach, or on holidays abroad, maybe not so much about town here in Ireland though!

But you could probably get away with a short skirt instead ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭*Lees*

All depends on how short they are! If you can see your butt cheeks imo it's a big no no! Unless they are bikini bottoms and your on the beach or something!!!
    Short shorts are fine for holidays though if you have the figure for them!
    If your only wearing them for relaxing when at home then why not, it's not like you will be parading down the street in them!!

My body shape would be very large boobs with short torso, narrow waist, with bigger bum and long, shapely legs if this helps I wear a lot of short skirts in the winter/summer

*Lees* wrote: »
    All depends on how short they are! If you can see your butt cheeks imo it's a big no no! Unless they are bikini bottoms and your on the beach or something!!!
    Short shorts are fine for holidays though if you have the figure for them!
    If your only wearing them for relaxing when at home then why not, it's not like you will be parading down the street in them!!
    They would be like granny pants but as shorts and a tiny bit longer if that, is any help, I will be wearing them out though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 527 ✭✭✭joeperry

I'd say 21. Only girls I've seen wearing them are still teeny boppers!

What age was Kylie though?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

It's not about age. It's about how you look in them. If you try them on and the look good and you feel comfortable in them then you should wear them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭*Lees*

CathyMoran wrote: »
    They would be like granny pants but as shorts and a tiny bit longer if that, is any help, I will be wearing them out though.

I think it would be fine to wear them out on holidays once you obey the rule.... if your showing lots of leg make sure your covered up on top, otherwise it tends to look really trashy!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

dudara wrote: »
    TBH, they're best suited to teenagers or those with the sylph-like figure.

By sylph-like do you mean so thin they are nearly invisible? If so I disagree.
    Am 35 now with an OK figure (though my bum is a bit bigger than I would like but would still only be a size 6 on the waist and 8 on the bum

Sounds pretty good to me. I would not complain if I saw you wearing hotpants.

Though I may need pictures to verify!

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 alancork1987

why should age be a factor, if you have a nice figure why should you have to hide it? i would go on the premis that if your body is sexy no matter what age you are wear what you want, in fact you should be allowed wear what you feel comfortable in, if makes you feel sexy wear it, if it boosts your confidence, wear it, if it makes you happy wear it.
    and if you ahve a damn fine ass flaunt it! :D:D no one will complain ;):rolleyes:
    i used to hide behind my clothes and it is only in the last while i have worn what i want and not what the trend dictates, it is far better and you will be far more relaxed.that my opinion any way. :):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Unless you're on a beach I don't think anyone over the age of 20 should wear them.

Unless you are spending 2-3 hours a day on the Cross Trainer I seriously doubt you have the figure at 35 to carry it off no matter what you might think...sorry...:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Unless you're on a beach I don't think anyone over the age of 20 should wear them.
    Unless you are spending 2-3 hours a day on the Cross Trainer I seriously doubt you have the figure at 35 to carry it off no matter what you might think...sorry...

Some people dont need to spend 3 hours a day on a cross trainer. Some people are naturally hot. And from the dimensions the OP has given I would say she is one of them.

I joked earlier in the thread that I would like pictures to confirm my suspicion, as did other people.

OP, I think you should PM a picture of your self in Hot pants to these 2 posters and say "Stick that in your pipe and smoke it".

No one over 20 should wear hot pants? Youll be saying no one over 25 has a sex life/drive next!

syklops wrote: »
    Some people dont need to spend 3 hours a day on a cross trainer. Some people are naturally hot. And from the dimensions the OP has given I would say she is one of them.

I joked earlier in the thread that I would like pictures to confirm my suspicion, as did other people.

OP, I think you should PM a picture of your self in Hot pants to these 2 posters and say "Stick that in your pipe and smoke it".

No one over 20 should wear hot pants? Youll be saying no one over 25 has a sex life/drive next!

I would be more than happy to take it back if she sends in photos to back up her claims....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

*sigh*

Let's stop asking for photos now. It's getting old.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,021 ✭✭✭LadyE

Im 23 and I recently wore hotpants on a night out, when I got them I felt like mutton dressed as lamb but a friend reassured me that they looked ok.

If you pm'd me a pic I would be very honest with you, otherwise ask a brutally honest friend.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

syklops wrote: »

Why would I say that?

I think hotpants are a childish item of clothing, like dungarees.

It's my opinion.

Fair play to the OP if she's got a good body for them but I'm just saying that IN MY OPINION when I see anyone over the age of 20 wearing them i'd think they were dressing too young for their age.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Yeah once you are in the right environment it's fine to wear them. You sound like you have a great figure so you may as well use it. Better to wear them now and laugh about in years to come instead of regretting not using a great figure when you have it. Once there's no ass cheek on show, you're sorted:D

Plus you say you have big boobs so they probably get a fair bit of attention, so it would be nice to accentuate a different body part. I'd agree with poster saying to cover up a wee bit when a lot of leg is on display. Plus there's always tights etc you can wear with them if you're just wearing them on normal nights out, might lessen the "wow oh wow" factor. I've seen lots of girls doing that.

Sorry my laptop was coffee'd so have been unable to post - I would argue the toss over not having an ok figure at 35 - I do not eat large volumes of food (due to surgery from an illness) and have to weigh myself daily to ensure that I am maintaining my weight - I would also do a fair bit of walking People over 20/25 do not loose their figures though it is true that the average size of women appears to increase with age it not always the case I avoided the sun so would not have aged facially as much (though naturally I am not tanned as a result but I can live with that)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

I think it varies from person to person whether they can wear them. It's like any kind of clothes really, somethings suit some people. The idea of a good, honest friend advising you was probably a useful one. But I still get the picture that you seem like somebody who could wear them in the right environment.

why should age be a factor

I'm out hiking through the woods with some guy friends.
    We were all out the night before. They are using this smoking hot lyrca clad lady with flowing blond locks, as a motivation tool.
    So I'm listening to this for a good 45 minutes.
    Until we arrive at a vantage point, and we finally overtake and get a chance to see her face.
    She is 70 if she is a day. :D
    The lads were washing their eyeballs with soap for a week after. mwhahaha.

Cathy on holiday wear whatever the hell you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,777 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

My girlfriend is 23 and no longer wears them but still has a fantastic figure for them. I guess in her opinion it's too "young" a look and maybe a bit try-hard. Whilst I think they'd still look great on her, personally I'd say anyone over 25 would look a bit silly. It's like when you see dads in River Ireland wearing "trendy" clothes, all looks a bit silly and as if you're trying to hold onto your youth, no matter if you look good in them or not. Its your prerogative OP but I think you'd only end up attracting unwanted, immature attention. There's a friend on my facebook who is in her 30s and dresses like this (still has a good figure though quite skinny) and it looks a bit like she's desperate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 606 ✭✭✭fifomania

I don't think 35 is too old for them especially if you have a good figure. I'm late 20's and I wore short shorts out walking the other evening and fellas I met whistled but most women looked disgusted and a passerby even said I was going too far. I couldn't care less. I've a good figure and life is too short. If people gave more thought to important issues instead of what someone is wearing the world would be a happier place! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,777 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

fifomania wrote: »
    If people gave more thought to important issues instead of what someone is wearing the world would be a happier place! :D

If people did that we wouldn't have a fashion/appearence board with this topic :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

they're completely fine for holidays and on the beach and stuff. go for it I say!

Advertisement