Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Article] Hybrid 'rail bus' proposal for Limerick Junction service

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,922 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

mysterious wrote: »
    I say lets go for a plane/Train.....Ha I thought of this idea first

Freddie Laker beat you to it - trademark wise anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,941 ✭✭✭✭Stark

ODS wrote: »
    Finally this is why the Greens are getting slaughtered down the country - it's remarkable such a kite would even be flown. Ah sure don't worry folks, in Dublin they're the prime political pushers for the 5bn metro to the airport - despite the fact greens disagree with air travel :rolleyes:

Irish Rail was a joke of a company long before the Greens ever tasted power.
    dowlingm wrote: »
    How would a railbus unmanned unsignalled LC be treated? A Yield right of way?

I'm guessing that the vastly reduced stopping distance means you could have a straightforward "switch it to amber, then red whenever you feel like it" traffic light system rather than a signalling system where you need to decide a good measure in advance that you're going to change to red and notify the train driver accordingly.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

MYOB wrote: »
    Freddie Laker beat you to it - trademark wise anyway.

Don't know who he is,

Buit I thought I was going to make headlines. A traiin/plane or planetrain would be more hip than a trainbus or bustrain.

What do you all think? "Serious stare"

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,922 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Don't know who he is,

Buit I thought I was going to make headlines. A traiin/plane or planetrain would be more hip than a trainbus or bustrain.

Revolutionised cross-Atlantic air travel in the 1980s.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

Don't know who he is,

Gosh when someone has never heard of Sir Freddie Laker, I realise that I'm getting older!!!!

He was miles ahead of his time and but for the combined efforts of BA and other airlines, the Ryanair concept would have been in full swing twenty years earlier!

Laker was a transatlantic airline that offered rock bottom prices in the late 1970s and early 1980s, but the other airlines did everything to stop it and on that occasion succeeded.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭westtip

KC61 wrote: »
    Gosh when someone has never heard of Sir Freddie Laker, I realise that I'm getting older!!!!

He was miles ahead of his time and but for the combined efforts of BA and other airlines, the Ryanair concept would have been in full swing twenty years earlier!

Laker was a transatlantic airline that offered rock bottom prices in the late 1970s and early 1980s, but the other airlines did everything to stop it and on that occasion succeeded.

Yes agreed needed to check the bottle of grecian 2000 having read about someone asking who was Freddie Laker. I think dear old Freddie (RIP 2006)was also done by a technical fault on a couple of his aircraft with the pressure seal or something on the cargo bay doors I think of the DC 10 - which grounded his aircraft in the late 70s around 79 and caused a cashflow crisis for the company which went under in 1982, he though was truly screwed by both the larger airlines (BA in particular) and the Government of the time - who of course owned BA till it was privatised. His legacy is Ryanair, Easyjet, Virgin etc - Although his concept of really rock bottom price no frills (AKA Ryanair) aviation on long haul is yet to be truly realised, a model which even now is restricted to shorthaul getting 6 or flights a day from aircraft, a business which is all about turnover of the seats, similar to fast food.

BTW I think he woudl have thought this train/bus completely daft!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭IIMII

Have to admit that I hadn't heard of him though I was aware of these guys:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southwest_Airlines

Advertisement