Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poker Boards Discussion thread... (BBV thread)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Whyno wrote: »
    Ive no problem with anyone offering an opinion where relevant but what i`m asking you if youve no dealings with the poker forum or mods what the hell are you doin voicing your opinion in here because as i see it this is nothing to do with you or if it has something to do with you can you tell me how.

I read the thread in question and this thread. I informed myself. As for why I care, well it's because of the principle it sets. Read Gordon's post, thats why I care. To allow this behaviour to continue would literally rip the site apart, not longer could it grow. Eventually you'd get to the point where you have to decide between the poker forum or TCN, Christianity forum Or the Atheists forum Rugby or the GAA forum, and so on. Do you not see the problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭tylerdurden94

To think the mods of the poker forum are bad mods is ridiculous, some of them hold multiple moderation over different forums and in the last couple of months Lloyd has been made a mod back to back on two of the most popular and viewed forums, Poker and Soccer and a third one NFL. I think from becoming a regular poster to be given three forums as mod is a great testement to the kind of person and poster that Lloyd is.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Fwiw guys, I have helped run vBulletin boards before and I can say it IS very difficult to handle massive threads. I don't for one moment doubt what Dav has said.

All I have to say is that I think Boston, Onkle and Janeybabe need their heads examined.

The amount of hate and vitriol you have spewed at the poker community in general disgusts me. All 3 of you have clear agendas against the poker community and are incapable of discussing this matter objectively. The kind of statements you have all made(Janeybabes first post in this thread) is a clear example of this.

The people who did wrong have admitted as much, and the response the admins have taken does not fit the crime. BBV is the heart and soul of the poker community, our blood, our sweat, our lives have been poured into that thread, it's hardly surprising the poker community as an whole is ticked off, is it?

I myself have not posted there a great deal, but I read it all the time, I enjoy the thread and I can certainly see why people are so upset and angry about what's transpired.

Finally, I would like to echo the sentiment that all of the poker moderators have done an outstanding job and have my respect and admiration for the work they have done in helping build the poker community. I'm sorry to say their good work may have been damaged beyond repair because of the wreckless actions of some boards.ie administrators.

I would also like to thank the boards mods and admins in this thread that have been reasonable and constructive.

Either way, I hope everyone learns from what has happened and life moves on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Ive no problem with anyone offering an opinion where relevant but what i`m asking you if youve no dealings with the poker forum or mods what the hell are you doin voicing your opinion in here because as i see it this is nothing to do with you or if it has something to do with you can you tell me how.
    It's Feedback, everyone is entitled to join in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Boston wrote: »
    You're for heavy handed censorship when someone is posting something you don't like, but against it when some locked a thread you like. The obvious solution is to tailor how the site works to your specific needs. *

*For those that couldn't tell I'm not an Admin, I'm being facetious.

When did I say I was in for heavey handed censorship? I have no problem with you posting whatever you like I'm just disappointed not once did an admin come out and say "Boston I think you're being overly harsh with you're views. The poker mods for the most part have done an excellent job"

Even spectre mentioned the effort needed to stop DBC and his trolling but since the 4 mods have resigned I haven't seen one thank you from an admin for the job they done.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,314 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

RoundTower wrote: »
    demodded from what? Really, who moderates the Dance Music or Cricket forums doesn't bother me too much because I rarely post or read there.
    And a lot of people in TCN didn't give a flying fnck about what happened in the Poker Forum until a concerted effort was made by regular posters from the aforementioned poker forum to try and sabotage the Count to a Million thread and insult the many people who post there on a regular basis.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

RasTa wrote: »
    am I allowed to post the link since most people are done with boards over this?

No. You are not allowed.

musician wrote: »
    Ever dealt with any of the admins who acted on this matter? I think you have one definite axe to grind. If you attack the poker moderators telling them not to let the door hit their arse and you can do this without knowing the full facts of the matter and not one admin admonishes you for doing what is a painfully obvious attempt to antagonise then I suspect you have dealt with them many times. Enough to be confident you can say what you like.

When a thread is moved to the recycle bin, all threads in poker, feedback and the help desk are locked when anyone mentions the incident it's hard to get anything posted let alone condemnation. you seem to have some swing around here. Maybe you could have gotten in some condemnation on our behalf while we couldn't post. Seeing as it seems so important to you.

Yes, DeVore is my best mate, We regularly meet up, sit around a circular table with green felt, play cards and have a laugh.... Oh hold on, thats not me.

This is boards.ie, I play by the site rules.

Rb wrote: »
    I originally posted complaining about the treatment of the poker forum users over this and censorship, but am absolutely opposed to them not allowing Boston and the others to air their view.

You have to realise that we who read the poker forum regularly are aware of the fantastic job the guys do of moderating, and have done over the past few years. A lot are judging this on the pure face value of it, having never seen the mods work or the poker community and are passing judgement purely based on the incident.

Just because we don't agree with their point of view, does not mean that they shouldn't be allowed to air them. I've made comments about the admins and the action they've taken here, which I'm sure a lot will agree on, but similarly some will absolutely disagree and perhaps be offended by what I've said, should that mean I shouldn't be allowed to post it?

No*

*as long as the posts are within the site rules, which they have been
    seamus wrote: »
    People are allowed to criticise moderators. Action has been taken over blatantly attacking the moderators.

By post anwering Boston answers these point's.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Without seeming like a troll...can anyone explain to me what the word "viterol" means? Google says that it's a cream for the removal of wrinkles. I'm sure it means something else in this context...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

yeah, lloyd is great :D

i dunno, between this and the whole helix issue i really think the admins should maybe have a think. cos all thats happening atm is posters will become disaffected and will only get more troll-y and will have a chip on their shoulder (like me :pac: ) which will just cause more aggro.

if i was to be a pessimist, i think the site is actually getting too big for the old boards rules to apply. mods will always be playing catch up and more and more people will start bearing grudges

This is boards.ie, I play by the site rules.

first you have the sex pistols, and then this. rock and roll is alive and well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Mods, Admins. There is already a new BBV forum set up on a different site in VBB format, am I allowed to post the link since most people are done with boards over this?

As per the site rules you may put a link in your sig but posting just to take posters away to a differnt is spamming an advertisement for that site and against the rules.

I am really starting to wonder did any of the poker mods bother putting a link to the site FAQ in the poker forum for people to read when it was launched.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/faq.php?faq=bie_faq

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I've been in a meeting all afternoon, I'm primaraily dealing with the poker mods and admins about this because I want to sort things out with them first.

DeV.

When did I say I was in for heavey handed censorship? I have no problem with you posting whatever you like I'm just disappointed not once did an admin come out and say "Boston I think you're being overly harsh with you're views. The poker mods for the most part have done an excellent job"

Even spectre mentioned the effort needed to stop DBC and his trolling but since the 4 mods have resigned I haven't seen one thank you from an admin for the job they done.

Seamus told me to tone it down.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Thaedydal wrote: »
    As per the site rules you may put a link in your sig but posting just to take posters away to a differnt is spamming an advertisement for that site and against the rules.

I am really starting to wonder did any of the poker mods bother putting a link to the site FAQ in the poker forum for people to read when it was launched.

The new poker mods have some work ahead of them removing all urls posted to other poker sites then. Complete loss of all sanity at work here today. Bizarre stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭RoundTower

Mods, Admins. There is already a new BBV forum set up on a different site in VBB format, am I allowed to post the link since most people are done with boards over this?

I think so long as it's not a commercial link you can do what you want (just my opinion). Perhaps you could also PM it to me?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,104 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Ponster wrote: »
    Without seeming like a troll...can anyone explain to me what the word "viterol" means? Google says that it's a cream for the removal of wrinkles. I'm sure it means something else in this context...

Presumably just a typo of vitriol.

Where should they have put it? in the charter?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Whyno

I read the thread in question and this thread. I informed myself. As for why I care, well it's because of the principle it sets. Read Gordon's post, thats why I care. To allow this behaviour to continue would literally rip the site apart, not longer could it grow. Eventually you'd get to the point where you have to decide between the poker forum or TCN, Christianity forum Or the Atheists forum Rugby or the GAA forum, and so on. Do you not see the problem?

The problem is the smods way of dealing with this has been completely wrong. They acted with a heavy hand and binned our BBV thread.
    This could have been easily rectified by punishing the lads that were acting out of line and these guys as a few have said already have no problem with that. Why should everyone one of the poker forum be punished for something that wasnt meant to be serious but got out of hand.
    Can you see where we`re all coming from. As for our mods none of those guys get paid as far as i know but imo do a great job and are invaluable to the poker forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Hermy wrote: »
    And a lot of people in TCN didn't give a flying fnck about what happened in the Poker Forum until a concerted effort was made by regular posters from the aforementioned poker forum to try and sabotage the Count to a Million thread and insult the many people who post there on a regular basis.

The count to a million thread is stupid, lets call a spade a spade here.

• Advertisement

Seamus told me to tone it down.

Missed that post. My bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Where should they have put it? in the charter?:confused:

That's a pretty cool suggestion tbh :)

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭brianmc

What's with the needless jibing at the poker mods?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

mdwexford wrote: »

Y'see, that's the sort of thinking that got us here in the first place...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

You're really not helping anyone.

edit: ooh, ninja'd. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭smurph

Okay, why don't we have a
    cadbury_s_timeout.jpg

and let Devour and the Admins have a chinwag, and hopefully this can be resolved...

The problem is the smods way of dealing with this has been completely wrong. They acted with a heavy hand and binned our BBV thread.
    This could have been easily rectified by punishing the lads that were acting out of line and these guys as a few have said already have no problem with that. Why should everyone one of the poker forum be punished for something that wasnt meant to be serious but got out of hand.
    Can you see where we`re all coming from. As for our mods none of those guys get paid as far as i know but imo do a great job and are invaluable to the poker forum.

The poker moderators could have done that, but decided not to. It isn't the Admin's role to moderate individual forums (besides systems forums). An admin is unlikely to know much about your community, or take it into account before locking a thread. Their primary priority is boards.ie. The thread was a threat to the site and it was stamped on hard as a result, if you wanted a softer approach you should have reported it to a moderator.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

TCN posters would say the same about the BBV thread. How is that helpful in the slightest? How does it justify anything?

That's a pretty cool suggestion tbh :)

I dont know if that's sarcasm or not but it's not in the charter of BGRH, It's not in the charter of Pagenism, it's not in the charter of PI but it is in the chrter of parenting. So I think it pretty comical you having a petty snipe at the poker mods for not having the FAQ on display when 3 of the forums you mod don't have it either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Dav wrote: »
    Y'see, that's the sort of thinking that got us here in the first place...
    humanji wrote: »
    You're really not helping anyone.

edit: ooh, ninja'd. :(

Couldnt resist :D

But can anyone honestly say it isnt.........

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement