Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poker Boards Discussion thread... (BBV thread)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

Boston wrote: »
    First I was an Admin, now I'm a troll, who or what will I be next?

Most peoples general opinion of you hasn't changed much tbh
    One mod encouraged it, the others didn't over rule them. That makes them culpable. Hey, I said right at the start I think the thread should be restored, but I don't think the current mods should continue moding that forum.

Were the others even online at the time!? Looking at how some of the forums here are modded, I doubt many regulars will stick around if an outside who'd no idea what was going on came in and modded poker. It just wouldn't work.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,850 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Ponster wrote: »
    I believe that some people's point is that the poker mods had the power to stop all this from happening by properly moderating the BBV thread?

On this point, one mod has already held his hands up and said 'mea culpa', another said he seen it but thought it has been dealt with by a post on thread saying "cut out the abuse on other forums" (or similar), and the other 3 were not online any time around the incident.

If this is not enough then I really don't know what to say. That wasn't directed at you ponster, but just in a general direction to all.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,336 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Conor wrote: »
    Jordi LaForge technical stuff

Thanks for that.
    So in theory there may (or may not) be absolutely no technical reason why the BBV couldn't be reopened?
    If you run the test and it performs better than the Lairs thread (which is still open) then everythings good?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Whyno wrote: »
    Boston are you one of those guys that buds his nose into everything hes not supposed to. I bet you object to lots of planning permission applications near you as a hobby. Youve a right to an opinion sure but this discussion is nothing to do with you. So bud out imo...

So because I'm unbiased, I should offer an opinion. Never posted on either forum, never dealt with mods on either forum. Sounds to me like I'm exactly the type of user who should offer an opinion. Bit hard to claim I have an axe to grind aye?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,955 ✭✭✭Degag

First I was an Admin, now I'm a troll, who or what will I be next?

One mod encouraged it, the others didn't over rule them. That makes them culpable. Hey, I said right at the start I think the thread should be restored, but I don't think the current mods should continue moding that forum.

How do you expect them to overrule him if they weren't online?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭Wolves

mdwexford wrote: »
    I really wish i could tell you.

Imo you are a nosey person who has no business being so involved in this thread but presumably have nothing better to do. You are posting things to get reactions and are being successful, presumably because you have 13k posts you are being let away with it.

then why bother reacting? not worth it imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Conor

Thanks for that.
    So in theory there may (or may not) be absolutely no technical reason why the BBV couldn't be reopened?
    If you run the test and it performs better than the Lairs thread (which is still open) then everythings good?

I certainly would be very wary of moving it right now. If it gets moved it needs to be moved at night when the load is low.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

5starpool wrote: »
    On this point, one mod has already held his hands up and said 'mea culpa', another said he seen it but thought it has been dealt with by a post on thread saying "cut out the abuse on other forums" (or similar), and the other 3 were not online any time around the incident.

Cheers! It does clear up the idea that poker mods and members have been holding black masses where they decide which forum to invade next once the sacrifice and naked dancing is done with.

Slash/ED wrote: »
    Were the others even online at the time!? Looking at how some of the forums here are modded, I doubt many regulars will stick around if an outside who'd no idea what was going on came in and modded poker. It just wouldn't work.

I must have missed the condemnation of KevIRL and the calls for him to be de-moded amid all the back patting and righteous indignation.

You know, I don't expect moderators not to mess, even if this was a pretty big one, but I do expect them not to throw a tantrum when they getting call on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

I must have missed the condemnation of KevIRL and the calls for him to be de-moded amid all the back patting and righteous indignation.

You know, I don't expect moderators not to mess, even if this was a pretty big one, but I do expect them not to throw a tantrum when they getting call on it.

So your beef here is there wasn't a ceremony made about what KevITL did, whatever it was? Would a lynching satisfy you?

I also must have missed his tantrum...If KevIRL did something wrong, and got punished as a result, why all the rest of the crap?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,533 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

KevIRL wrote: »
    Bops/RT - These comments really dont help matters. We do appreciate the support but its best for all concerned if we approcach this responsibly

I posted this earlier, some of the other poker forum regs would do well to read it as well...Richielawlor, BCB, Mdwexford. Dont fall to the level of the other trolls please. Keep it as mature and reasonable as we know you can be please, sarky comments are doing anyone any favours

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

DeVore wrote: »
    5. The rest of this is storm in a teacup time.

DeV.

you have obv lost touch with the community.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Wolves wrote: »
    The poker forum community is proud of itself and comes across as such. Maybe it comes across as arrogant to others. I am a member of it and i can see this. I can also see that some people have a grudge against this community.

If you think we are arrogant or insular or otherwise that is fine. Maybe to some a small extent your perception is correct. But as we are insular we will defend ourselves and the poker mods against some of the rubbish that has been spouted in this thread.

Bottom line guys. The cuckoos nest thing shouldn't have happened and we have acknowledged that over and over again. But the response to it shouldn't have happened either.

We are all happy to admit to our mistakes and those involved are happy to take individual punishments. Are we the only ones who are big enough to admit our faults in this matter?
    I'd say the majority come across as proud of their little corner of Boards and are extremely hurt by what has happened, but there are a few of it's members on this thread acting like children and that's painting them all as such. That's not to say there aren't other non-poker posters acting like children, though!

But as I said before, you all need to wait until the admins make their final decision and then decide if you want o be shocked or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

mdwexford wrote: »
    I really wish i could tell you.

Imo you are a nosey person who has no business being so involved in this thread but presumably have nothing better to do. You are posting things to get reactions and are being successful, presumably because you have 13k posts you are being let away with it.

His postcount has nothing to do with it. Boston has been around for a long time and from what I've seen, couldn't really be regarded as a trouble maker.

Previously he has came across quite passionate about what he believes in and will fight his case, which if you're on the same side of is great (like when we took on the Irish Surfers) but admittedly can be annoying if you're on the opposite and could easily be mistaken for trolling. There's nothing wrong with putting him on ignore if you don't like his opinions either.

Regardless, there's no need for this to turn to petty insults and I'd ask RichieLawlor to delete his post as it's absolutely unnecessary and is a disservice to the user, forum and cause.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Cheers! It does clear up the idea that poker mods and members have been holding black masses where they decide which forum to invade next once the sacrifice and naked dancing is done with.

Makes a change of people thinking that's what the paganism mods are up to...

We've been saying things like this until we are blue in the face, but this, or past modding (this and 2 other things from the last 4 years or so have been raised as THE THINGS) seems to be having no bearing no things from what I can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

That is not what is happening here at all, and you are continually clouding the issue. I'm not sure whether this is malicious on your part or just a failure to understand what the issue is, but either way you are not helping anyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

I'm really disapointed is Dev for not once coming to the defence of the poker mods for the brilliant job they have done over the years. If people think the poker mods did such a bad job then they really should be aiming their abuse at the admins who let them be mods and even after this incident had no problem with them continuing as mods.

I find it disgraceful that the Dev/admins will allow Boston et all post disparging comments about the 4 mods without even once coming to their defence. Considering the effort they put in backing one of the mods on the soccer forum over something that was posted on a completely different site it's is very poor form.

humanji wrote: »
    I'd say the majority come across as proud of their little corner of Boards and are extremely hurt by what has happened, but there are a few of it's members on this thread acting like children and that's painting them all as such. That's not to say there aren't other non-poker posters acting like children, though!

But as I said before, you all need to wait until the admins make their final decision and then decide if you want o be shocked or not.

They have said their final decision has been made several times. This thread is one attempt at an appeal to the final decision, if you will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Mods, Admins. There is already a new BBV forum set up on a different site in VBB format, am I allowed to post the link since most people are done with boards over this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭RoundTower

demodded from what? Really, who moderates the Dance Music or Cricket forums doesn't bother me too much because I rarely post or read there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Whyno

So because I'm unbiased, I should offer an opinion. Never posted on either forum, never dealt with mods on either forum. Sounds to me like I'm exactly the type of user who should offer an opinion. Bit hard to claim I have an axe to grind aye?

Ive no problem with anyone offering an opinion where relevant but what i`m asking you if youve no dealings with the poker forum or mods what the hell are you doin voicing your opinion in here because as i see it this is nothing to do with you or if it has something to do with you can you tell me how.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

I'm really disapointed is Dev for not once coming to the defence of the poker mods for the brilliant job they have done over the years.

DeV is in meeting all afternoon and is not online as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

RasTa wrote: »
    Mods, Admins. There is already a new BBV forum set up on a different site in VBB format, am I allowed to post the link since most people are done with boards over this?

Lets not jump the gun, DeV's last post on the subject states things are still under discussion, so we should still try to work towards resolving things satifactorily here imo.
    DeVore wrote: »
    Look this has blown out of all proportion and I'm discussing things with them at the moment. Everyone needs to calm down and let cooler heads prevail.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭sendic

Onkle wrote: »
    My point being that one bad incident in a place where there is usually harmony can tarnish it. I'm not comparing what happened here to a somebody being killed.

ZOMG!! someone was killed?!?!?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

5starpool wrote: »
    They have said their final decision has been made several times. This thread is one attempt at an appeal to the final decision, if you will.
    But they've also said their still discussing it and it's implications.

I'm really disapointed is Dev for not once coming to the defence of the poker mods for the brilliant job they have done over the years. If people think the poker mods did such a bad job then they really should be aiming there abuse at the admins who let them be mods and even after this incident had no problem with them continuing as mods.

I find it disgraceful that the Dev/admins will allow Boston et all post disparging comments about the 4 mods without even once coming to there defence. Considering the effort they put in backing one of the mods on the soccer forum over something that was posted on a completely different site is very poor form.

You're for heavy handed censorship when someone is posting something you don't like, but against it when some locked a thread you like. The obvious solution is to tailor how the site works to your specific needs. *

*For those that couldn't tell I'm not an Admin, I'm being facetious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

I find it disgraceful that the Dev/admins will allow Boston et all post disparging comments about the 4 mods without even once coming to there defence. Considering the effort they put in backing one of the mods on the soccer forum over something that was posted on a completely different site is very poor form.

I originally posted complaining about the treatment of the poker forum users over this and censorship, but am absolutely opposed to them not allowing Boston and the others to air their view.

You have to realise that we who read the poker forum regularly are aware of the fantastic job the guys do of moderating, and have done over the past few years. A lot are judging this on the pure face value of it, having never seen the mods work or the poker community and are passing judgement purely based on the incident.

Just because we don't agree with their point of view, does not mean that they shouldn't be allowed to air them. I've made comments about the admins and the action they've taken here, which I'm sure a lot will agree on, but similarly some will absolutely disagree and perhaps be offended by what I've said, should that mean I shouldn't be allowed to post it?

No*

*as long as the posts are within the site rules, which they have been

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

People are allowed to criticise moderators. Action has been taken over blatantly attacking the moderators.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Ever dealt with any of the admins who acted on this matter? I think you have one definite axe to grind. If you attack the poker moderators telling them not to let the door hit their arse and you can do this without knowing the full facts of the matter and not one admin admonishes you for doing what is a painfully obvious attempt to antagonise then I suspect you have dealt with them many times. Enough to be confident you can say what you like.

When a thread is moved to the recycle bin, all threads in poker, feedback and the help desk are locked when anyone mentions the incident it's hard to get anything posted let alone condemnation. you seem to have some swing around here. Maybe you could have gotten in some condemnation on our behalf while we couldn't post. Seeing as it seems so important to you.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement