Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Endeavour to the ISS (STS 127)

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Always a magnificent sight seeing the orbiter glide home and another mission successfully completed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

lord lucan wrote: »
    Always a magnificent sight seeing the orbiter glide home and another mission successfully completed.

+1 to that

A perfect landing and a great job :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

lord lucan wrote: »
    Wheels stop Endeavour! God speed Discovery Aug 25th!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭ynotdu

could not watch nasa tv for the return,managed to see the three minuates of sky news coverage sonic booms and all!
    makes no diffrience how often you see it the skill of the pilot landing it NEVER fails to awe inspire!

imagine after the de-orbit burn those guys can glide the unpowered brick all the way safely to the ground!:confused:

final thougts on this thread was anybody ever in right place at right time to see a landing?did the parachute ever fail on landing?

C,ya all for the projected Aug launch,were once again i may go off on all sorts of tangents :p;)
    Beeker i thought you might have enjoyed the youtube of the sts1 mission i posted earlior on this thread,since you were naughtily listening to it via hidden earphone at school!(imagine Young and Crippen had ejector seats!)
    i really enjoyed all the storys and nearly all of the input on this thread!

Godspeed until August!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

ynotdu wrote: »
    final thougts on this thread was anybody ever in right place at right time to see a landing?did the parachute ever fail on landing?
    No never got to see a landing, would love to get the chance.
    The parachute never failed to deploy. It was first used in May 1992 on Endeavours first flight. STS-49 the 47th shuttle flight. They were having problems with the breaks and even had a tyre blowout on a previous landing, so they decided to add the parachute to aid in the slowing down on the runway.
    On an historical note one of three parachutes failed on the landing of Apollo 15 on Aug 7 1971.
    ap15s7142217.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

On another note, at launch Apollo 6 vibrated so badly (pogo oscillation) that an abort would have been triggered had there been astronauts on board. One minute later two of the second stage engines cut off with no warning and the controllers came within seconds of using the self destruct. It limped into orbit and had no problems after that :D

Beeker wrote: »
    No never got to see a landing, would love to get the chance.
    The parachute never failed to deploy. It was first used in May 1992 on Endeavours first flight. STS-49 the 47th shuttle flight. They were having problems with the breaks and even had a tyre blowout on a previous landing, so they decided to add the parachute to aid in the slowing down on the runway.
    On an historical note one of three parachutes failed on the landing of Apollo 15 on Aug 7 1971.
    ap15s7142217.jpg

Beeker i know i said it was my final thoughts,but what an awesome photo,ty for that:)
    also i had thought ALL shuttles had used a parachute!
    as ever You are a fountain of knowledge on the sts programme,You should be the Mod specific to the the shuttle and its history:)
    your posts are always educational and accurate!

Confab wrote: »
    On another note, at launch Apollo 6 vibrated so badly (pogo oscillation) that an abort would have been triggered had there been astronauts on board. One minute later two of the second stage engines cut off with no warning and the controllers came within seconds of using the self destruct. It limped into orbit and had no problems after that :D

Hi Confab.i did not know that either but ty:)

I know from the many documentrys during the 40th anniversary of the first moonlanding that Apoll 12 was struck by lightning and the spacecraft and ground control lost all data.
    the Astronauts had the balls not to abort,when they rebooted the computer all returned to normal!
    tempted to ask that this thread be turned into a history of spaceflight one with people who were alive at the time of each event sharing their memories and the facts.Wikipedia not always that accurate:eek:

but i best not or i be shot at dawn:D

Be great if someone with the knowledge did start a History of spaceflight thread!
    i especioly like the were i was during whatever space event happened posts:)
    cheers guys

Advertisement