Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Endeavour to the ISS (STS 127)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,643 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

Kevster wrote: »
    Well guys, another launch Saturday morning at 11:17AM our time. These ISS servicing missions are coming quickly now aren't they? We have the LRO launching next Wednesday too.

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/shuttle/shuttlemissions/sts127/index.html

http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/index.html

8 shuttle flights left. You cant beat a good launch!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

Yeh, they seem to be rushing them in my view. Therefore, it's no surprise that this one's now been delayed!
    The US space agency has postponed Saturday's launch of the space shuttle Endeavour due to a hydrogen leak -- in a setback for a mission aimed at completing the 100-billion-dollar International Space Station.

The launch had been scheduled for 7:17 am (1117 GMT) from Cape Canaveral in Florida.

But "the launch is scrubbed, it's official," spokesman Kyle Herring told reporters, saying it would not be rescheduled for at least 24 hours.
    Reference: AFP (http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5ghRIRbrIaW-pyDlZfg-vXBXj3FDw)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

The launch has been delayed due to a gas leak.......

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/shuttle/launch/index.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭ynotdu

Endevour was on standby to *rescue* the hubble crew if nescessary.(was on pad 39B all that time before being rolled round to 39A.
    Never was going to happen but was a P R stunt by Nasa,the Last great flight of the shuttle was the service one to hubble,a suicide mission if tiles had been ripped off,real space cowboy stuff.
    only five more confirmed shuttle flights left before retirement next year.

Endevour would not pass an N C T.

What a pity the shuttle never even came close to flying every two weeks as was the plan :mad:

NASA as good as murdered the crews of Challenger and Columbia,Defo Challenger were they should have given a No Go over the o rings on such a cold morning.

Columbia,plenty of internal memo,s by concerned staff to the top brass in NASA about the force of the strike on the wing at Launch.
    If the crew did not know I am sure columbias burn-up on re-entry was at least 50-50 chance in those in the know.

• Advertisement

ynotdu wrote: »
    NASA as good as murdered the crews of Challenger and Columbia,Defo Challenger were they should have given a No Go over the o rings on such a cold morning.

Columbia,plenty of internal memo,s by concerned staff to the top brass in NASA about the force of the strike on the wing at Launch.
    If the crew did not know I am sure columbias burn-up on re-entry was at least 50-50 chance in those in the know.
    Controversial statements, but I happen to agree with you. Do we ever learn though? - No, is the answer. Just look at all aircraft accidents: After the accident, it usually emerges that the accident could have been prevented if either someone did their job right or if a piece of equipment was replaced sooner.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,643 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

8 flights left last being STS-133 next summer. Both Challenger and Columbia were accidents that should not have happened. They were both human failures, but that is the nature of exploring. There will always be mistakes when humans are involved. There will be future mistakes and loss of lives in the name of space exploration, but we must not stop, we must not give up because it is hard.
    God speed the crew of Endeavour, launch hopefully on Wednesday morning at 10:40 to be confirmed this evening.

By the way Endeavour would pass an NCT, the leak was in ground support equipment not any problem with the orbiter itsself.:)

Spacenut

Launch attempt now confirmed for Wednesday 17 at 10:40am Irish time. As a result the launch of the Atlas V with Moon probes LRO/LCROSS delayed until Thursday 18 with 3 launch opportunities at 22:12, 22:22 and 22:32.
    Go for Launch!:D

Here's hoping that it all goes smoothly. Post back if you hear anything about the LRO times, will ya?

Kevster wrote: »
    Here's hoping that it all goes smoothly. Post back if you hear anything about the LRO times, will ya?

Oh yeah, smooth is how we like it. I'm off Wednesday morning so up early on with NASA TV, big mug of tea and sit back. LRO launch hopefully on Thursday 18 with 3 launch opportunities at 22:12, 22:22 and 22:32.
    Irish time. Fridays launch opportunities are 23:41, 23:51 and 00:01 Saturday morning. Sunday at 01:08. 01:18 and 01:28

So plenty of launch opportunities. My guess is they will wait until Friday but a final decision will be taken on Tuesday night. Normally they prefer a good 24 hours between launches at the cape to allow for range safety to be ready.

• Advertisement

I'm going to be on my way to Galway (from Kildare) on Wednesday and will therefore miss it. I should catch the LRO launch though. While saying this, it's a bit sad that we don't hear much about the Chinese and Japanese experiments around the moon. For example, I believe that the Japanese recently crashed a rove into/onto the lunar surface.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/31214827/

Launching on Wednesday now...........

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/shuttle/main/index.html

A new leak has postponed the launch again........

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/8104407.stm

Yeh, I'm watching NASA TV now. You'd need nerves of steel to eventually go on this shuttle during launch, after all of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

July 11th is what they're looking at now. I'd arranged to go on holiday in florida for 2 weeks beginning just before discoverys launch(STS-128) at the start of august,hoped to finally catch a launch. Figured a 2 week window would give me time for any scrubs but with Endeavours second scrub this morning STS-128 will most likely get pushed back now,i'll be gutted if it gets moved as i missed Endeavour last november too cause of date changes.:(

Shame but delayed now until July 11th.

That's a shame but we have the LRO launching later today (Thursday), at 22:12 Irish time. Let's hope that gets going without a hitch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

er can ta take all the offtopic stuff to another thread

er can ta take all the offtopic stuff to another thread

Erm Exactly what is off-topic about just another launch of a Space transport system thread that the OP started about the sts? its number?
    Guess the posts about the Lro are not off-topic by your rationalle?
    p.s there are remedys for anal retentive problems.

• Advertisement

What's your problem ynotdu? Why can't you be nice to people? You will get through life easier if you take your head out of your own arse. Plus, get some sunshine dude. Stop sitting in front iof your PC all day with one hand stuffed inside your jocks moving rhymthmically to that song called 'Je t'aime... Moi non plus'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHiMDB19Dyc

lol... umm, that didn't even load for me. Never mind though. I'm actually an administrator on a psychological help forum/website. I only se boards to vent my anger (as I can't do it there). I'm sorry that you had to bear the brunt of it this time dude.

Take care,
    Kevin

I have to agree that the STS system is a flawed design and has never operated to its full potential. It is however what we have and mistakes have been made. Hopefully moving into the future NASA will be able to develop a new system. Orion or something else to continue manned flights. It will never be safe and mistakes will be made in the future with further loss of life. That is the price of exploration.
    Hopefull Endeavour launches soon but not on July 11 as planned because I would miss the launch. I pride myself on having seen or heard every shuttle launch live since the begining. First few live on RTE and then I used to hear live coverage on Voice Of America even while in school with a hidden earphone, until the advent of the Internet and NASA TV.
    Godspeed STS-127

Don't think Endeavour is going anywhere before july 11th,it's been targeted for that date and they've bumped discovery(sts-128) down 11 days to august 18th now,2 days after i'm supposed to leave florida:(

lord lucan wrote: »
    Don't think Endeavour is going anywhere before july 11th,it's been targeted for that date and they've bumped discovery(sts-128) down 11 days to august 18th now,2 days after i'm supposed to leave florida:(

Sorry to hear that. I have been lucky myself with launches. I have been there for 2. Discovery on STS 41D in 1984 and Endeavour on STS-126 last November. Pure luck both times that the launches went ahead while I was there. I left the booking as late as possible and then took my chances. 2 for 2, Happy Man!

Beeker wrote: »
    Sorry to hear that. I have been lucky myself with launches. I have been there for 2. Discovery on STS 41D in 1984 and Endeavour on STS-126 last November. Pure luck both times that the launches went ahead while I was there. I left the booking as late as possible and then took my chances. 2 for 2, Happy Man!

I'm not gonna go rearranging stuff at this stage,done that last november at great expense for endeavours launch and ended up not being able to go. I'm going to a couple of gigs in new york on the 14th/15th of november and STS-129(atlantis) is due to go on november 12th so i'll aim for that this time.

Looks like they have solved Endeavours problems and launch is on again for July 11 at 19:39 EST that will be at 00:39 on Sunday morning July 12 here in Ireland.

God speed Endeavour!

Beeker wrote: »
    Looks like they have solved Endeavours problems and launch is on again for July 11 at 19:39 EST that will be at 00:39 on Sunday morning July 12 here in Ireland.

God speed Endeavour!

And looks like they may have averted a potential 6 month delay on Atlantis too! A little knob from a work tool got lodged under the window pane on the front of the orbiter on re-entry,they managed to get it out,otherwise there was a possibility that the orbiter could've been sidelined for 6 months while the window was taken out!!

lord lucan wrote: »
    And looks like they may have averted a potential 6 month delay on Atlantis too! A little knob from a work tool got lodged under the window pane on the front of the orbiter on re-entry,they managed to get it out,otherwise there was a possibility that the orbiter could've been sidelined for 6 months while the window was taken out!!
    Yeah I was following that story, infact it could have been worse as they were talking about retiring Atlantis instead of the six month delay.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the updates. I've been too busy to check myself. How many times was this one delayed again?

Advertisement