Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Muggings in Dublin 8

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,240 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

NickNolte wrote: »
    If you give one of these idiots a hiding, you're likely to go down yourself. If they're armed, you'd probably get away with doing just about anything to them though - you can plead self defence in such a situation.

There's a very distinct breed of violent scumbag in Dublin and they aren't restricted by class in a lot of cases. The big problem is that that Gardaí seem largely apathetic to the plight of their victims.

I can't stress this enough - if you're mugged or assaulted in Dublin and you go to report it to the authorities, bring a solicitor with you to represent you. The Gardaí won't give you the runaround and will have to investigate the matter properly.

Regardless though, the justice system in this country is far, far, far too lenient on these pissant knackers and they're back on the street in no time, ready to destroy the lives of their next victims. The people of this country should really be up in arms about it but it'll continue unless enough people make enough noise.
    But they took away your arms. And you let them.

I hope you all keep that in mind the next time youre raped at knifepoint when all you needed to do was point a pistol at the ****ers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭NickNolte

Bonkers.

Yes. Thats what I meant to say.

Its also a sad state of affairs when you need to stop off and fetch a solicitor if you want your police force to do anything for you.

I hope the day comes soon when enough of you see this as a problem and fix it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

NickNolte wrote: »
    There's a very distinct breed of violent scumbag in Dublin and they aren't restricted by class in a lot of cases.

do you really believe that?

I've been mugged, attacked and had a gun to my head with someone shouting "give me the f*cking money".

In all cases the perpetrators have been white working class males with strong Dublin accents*.

* salt of the earth.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

I think Dublin needs a superhero.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

K4t wrote: »

I think it needs a forum

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

I think it needs a forum

What this town needs is an enema!

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭Lady Luck

Having not read the entire thread, I'm going to go on and assume that no-one has yet said that you should change your yousername.
    Thanks for the insensitive and unnecessary response.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭NilByMouth

Its a big city,things like that happens.

A bit ****ty all the same having it happen where you live.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Yellowblackbird

Lady Luck, your assailants were chronic heroin addicts. Their sole motivation in this unfortunate transaction was to provide funds forthwith for current dosage requirements purposes.

Try not to take it personally.

Bouncebackability is the keyword here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Thoushaltnot

Actually, there was a pretty violent mugging on the S.C.R. - city end, so Portobello / D.8 a few months back. I know 'cos the cops went door to door, looking for a witness, so it must have been bad. If memory serves, the mugging occurred at home time, 5-6ish in the evening.

Before that, some scrote tried mugging a builder on a street nearby. The victim gave chase past my window and grabbed his wallet back off but the scrote got away. Our local postman saw some of it and later spotted yer man hiding down a back alley. This was about 10-11 in the morning!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 21,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭entropi

I've lived in D8 my whole life and while i havent noticed a rise in crime, i HAVE noticed a major increase in the amount of little skangers hanging around harassing people. I have a rule when out late at night in this area, dont walk alone. Its pretty crappy what they done to you yeah, but try not to go around alone at night, even some areas of D8 aint too bad it depends where ya are i suppose but anything can happen...

All i can say is at least you are here to tell the tale:)

p.s. i hope those fkin skangers that robbed stuff from ya get whats comin to em.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Overheal wrote: »
    But they took away your arms. And you let them.

I hope you all keep that in mind the next time youre raped at knifepoint when all you needed to do was point a pistol at the ****ers.

I wish there was a rolleyes smiley proportionate to this statement.

Unless I'm missing the comedy genius well-hidden within it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭Horsefumbler

hi lady luck your always quite welcome down here to stay a few nights maybe in the summer with me the mrs the kids you wont be imposing,spare room kettel hot water tea in the morning 2 waffles bowl of hooney loops:p
    creep:D

I wish there was a rolleyes smiley proportionate to this statement.

Unless I'm missing the comedy genius well-hidden within it.
    No sarcasm there.

You let the State take away your ability to defend yourselves.

At least I know if someone tries to mug me here I have every right to pull out a 9mm and end him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 audrey hepburn

I was going to ask the same, it has Portobello and Rialto, two COMPLETELY different areas...

spent the first 28 years of my life happily and crime free in rialto so im hoping you arent inferring it is rough

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭enniscorthy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

At least I know if someone tries to mug me here I have every right to pull out a 9mm and end him.
    You gotta love Americans, they always live up to the stereotype, and in most cases surpass it :D

You gotta love Americans, they always live up to the stereotype, and in most cases surpass it :D
    Well its not about being a raving lunatic or killing your brother because he didnt let you play Halo 3 :rolleyes:

Its about a concealed weapons permit used it the way it was meant to be used.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Right so.

Good of your mugger to bring a knife to a gunfight though, I must say. Very sporting altogether.

Also "the next time" I'm raped...?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭valery

Lady Luck wrote: »
    Has anybody experienced a mugging in Dublin 8? I used to consider where I live quite safe. But yesterday I was mugged and beaten. Thankfully they only stole my handbag with 50 euros, makeup and my camera in it (my phone was dead so I had it charging in my house). They bruised me too though. I have a bruise on my neck thats more unsightly than painful. I was so shaken for it that I do not see myself going out at night for the forseeable future. Can I just say these two men who did this are bastards and I hope they get caught.

But it raises an interesting argument: is crime on the rise in your area?

Dublin has become a difficult place to live in...hope you recover . :)

Right so.

Good of your mugger to bring a knife to a gunfight though, I must say. Very sporting altogether.

Also "the next time" I'm raped...?
    Alright then, you go ahead and you assume the mugger has a gun. Who is not expecting you to have a gun. Despite being legal they still dont expect it. They still **** bricks when the 711 guy pulls a shotgun from under the counter.

The initiative is on you really. If you can pull out a gun and surprise them - they're dead.

Also, not all scumbags have the balls to pull the trigger wether they have the clear advantage or not.

And if they do have the balls, you're dead either way. But I'd much prefer to have a weapon when it happens.

I think its silly not to take every advantage you have. Right now you're telling me its better to trust the State to remove all weapons (its doing a BANG up job btw) and scream like a little girl for help when the muggers dont play by the ordinary rules of society.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭upmeath

Is it just me or have we still not found out in which area of D8 this happened? I used to live in Portobello, still have a lot of friends living around there, and my gf lives in Kilmainham, so I'd like to be able to bring this to their attention if its happening in their area. Can the OP clarify the general area of D8 in which she was mugged? We're not looking for street names or landmarks, just a more precise postal address. Please and thank you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Alright then, you go ahead and you assume the mugger has a gun. Who is not expecting you to have a gun. Despite being legal they still dont expect it. They still **** bricks when the 711 guy pulls a shotgun from under the counter.

The initiative is on you really. If you can pull out a gun and surprise them - they're dead.

Also, not all scumbags have the balls to pull the trigger wether they have the clear advantage or not.

And if they do have the balls, you're dead either way. But I'd much prefer to have a weapon when it happens.

I think its silly not to take every advantage you have. Right now you're telling me its better to trust the State to remove all weapons (its doing a BANG up job btw) and scream like a little girl for help when the muggers dont play by the ordinary rules of society.

lol, so if the scumbag doesn't have the balls to pull the trigger you're still dead? From what? :confused: Clearly the American gun system is doing a brilliant job as muggings and other petty crimes are non-existent over there.

lol, so if the scumbag doesn't have the balls to pull the trigger you're still dead? From what? :confused: Clearly the American gun system is doing a brilliant job as muggings and other petty crimes are non-existent over there.
    Youre confusing two different statements.

If hes not willing to pull the trigger and you put up a fight, there is a good chance they will back down.

If he does have the stones to kill you, there is a good chance you are going to die, whether you have a gun or not.

And I would rather have a gun in both of the above scenarios just to be sure. But the number of muggers willing to kill I think, its quite a bit lower than those hiding behind their element: fear.
    Clearly the American gun system is doing a brilliant job as muggings and other petty crimes are non-existent over there.
    Yeah Ireland is doing a good job too. Can't even look after 1/75th the amount of people when they have their hands tied behind their backs.

Clearly you don't have a cop on every street corner of Dublin 8, which you apparently need. Or, you could have just given the OP a can of Pepper Spray for $15.

Its not a political pissing match: we're talking about people's safety here.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭emsy g

Carry a weapon and you are asking for trouble.I'm not telling you how to solve the mugging problem but think about it,If the scumbag has no weapon then you are at risk of actually arming him,if he gets it off you he will have no mercy.
    Protect yourself by not being on your own/getting a cab to your door/sticking to well lit areas where people are still present etc....
    Of course the next arguement is,what if you get raped by a cabby?My sister was,recently,although this would be very rare it can happen.She was very lucky she got away after!!!
    Carry a can of mace or something at most,this can stun them and on the off chance you reacted too quickly and sprayed some innocent fella who got too close,well at least you didn't blow his head off eh??Carrying a 9mm though... HAHAHA seriously,some people really do not think about the REALITY of the situation.It's terrifying,your head simply doesn't think as fast as what's happening and that is how they get away with it.It can happen so fast.
    But then if it's prolonged and you have a weapon,they could or even will find it!!
    My point in the first place was just that if you carry a weapon and you are not fully trained on how to use it you are endangering yourself even more.I have always avoided it,I find that confidence and awareness when your on your own is the best.Scumbags are preying on the weakest people they see and if you look unsure/unaware/nervous then you are the perfect target

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭DancingQueen:)

emsy g wrote: »
    Of course the next arguement is,what if you get raped by a cabby?My sister was,recently,although this would be very rare it can happen.She was very lucky she got away after!!!

i always hated taxis!!

But i agree carrying a weapon is dangerous if you dont know how to use it or arent confident enough to. If someone sees you arent confident they'll think its easy 2 get it off you and probably will xx

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭emsy g

my point zigactly dancing queen :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

upmeath wrote: »
    Is it just me or have we still not found out in which area of D8 this happened? I used to live in Portobello, still have a lot of friends living around there, and my gf lives in Kilmainham, so I'd like to be able to bring this to their attention if its happening in their area. Can the OP clarify the general area of D8 in which she was mugged? We're not looking for street names or landmarks, just a more precise postal address. Please and thank you!

I agree upmeath, I am living in Kilmainham/St James.

Can the Original Poster please give some street names as to where this happened.

I am in the same boat with my gf often walking home alone - it would help a lot to know the area these attacks have been happening.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭genericguy

sorry mate just defo a dublin thing nice and safe down around our area

oh yes crime is unique to dublin. limerick doesn't exist, and wexford is the latin word for utopia.

riiiight....

Advertisement