Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

World Naked Bike Ride - Dublin

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,009 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Looks like he's in the Criminal Assets Bureau now, well at least he's off the streets.

Amusingly, when I click on the Website Links on his LinkedIn profile, I get the following popup:

2hye7mo.jpg

Oh noes, Robocop is trying to trick me!

He's clearly the sort of 21st century technophile guarda we need in the CAB.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

I have to say, a bunch of people cycling through town unexpectedly isn't exactly going to go down well with the public.

If the event was promoted more in the media and by the organisers, they could've tried to get Garda clearance way before the day of the event.

Personally I think it came down to bad organisation as well as the Garda.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Keep_Her_Lit

Bluefoam wrote: »
    Very sad that they feel that they can stop events like this.
    I don’t think their "feelings" really come into it. They’ve made a decision to enforce the law.

According to a comment on the facebook page, "They will be the laughing stock of police forces around the world." Yep, I’m sure that the NYPD are in hysterics at this very moment.

It's a very poor reflection on Irish society.
    Really?

Let’s say that you pop into your local supermarket to do your weekly shopping in the raw. But the transaction doesn’t proceed as smoothly as you hoped and the shop security prevent you from popping your meat and two veg into the trolley. By your reckoning, that would be "a very poor reflection" on the staff and management of the shop. Correct?

How would you expect to get on in a job interview if you turn up in the buff while other prospective candidates are smartly attired in their suits and ties? Would it be a very poor reflection on the employer if the sight of your dangly bits influenced their decision not to hire you?

When you move into a new house or apartment, do you introduce yourself to your new neighbours in your birthday suit? Do you then notice that they subsequently avoid making eye contact with you and seem to be in no hurry to invite you around for dinner? Presumably, that just means that they’re repressed, uptight snobs.

You see, public nudity is deemed inappropriate in most contexts in most developed cultures. Not just legally but socially too. In general, exposing yourself to others in public has negative repercussions. It’s a pity that something so blatantly obvious needs to be pointed out.

But for some bizarre and unexplained reason, the organisers of this farcical event believe that their decision to give their gonads some big air along the Liffey will provide wholly beneficial outcomes for cyclists in general. They are delusional.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭coolbeans

It seemed to work out fine in other "developed countries", what's so different about Dublin? By the way the comparison to a job interview scenario is just silly, in fact all your comparisons are silly. I just don't understand why it can work in so many cities worldwide but not in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,712 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Very sad that they feel that they can stop events like this.
    I donÂ’t think their "feelings" really come into it. TheyÂ’ve made a decision to enforce the law.

According to a comment on the facebook page, "They will be the laughing stock of police forces around the world." Yep, IÂ’m sure that the NYPD are in hysterics at this very moment.

It's a very poor reflection on Irish society.
    Really?

LetÂ’s say that you pop into your local supermarket to do your weekly shopping in the raw. But the transaction doesnÂ’t proceed as smoothly as you hoped and the shop security prevent you from popping your meat and two veg into the trolley. By your reckoning, that would be "a very poor reflection" on the staff and management of the shop. Correct?

How would you expect to get on in a job interview if you turn up in the buff while other prospective candidates are smartly attired in their suits and ties? Would it be a very poor reflection on the employer if the sight of your dangly bits influenced their decision not to hire you?

When you move into a new house or apartment, do you introduce yourself to your new neighbours in your birthday suit? Do you then notice that they subsequently avoid making eye contact with you and seem to be in no hurry to invite you around for dinner? Presumably, that just means that theyÂ’re repressed, uptight snobs.

You see, public nudity is deemed inappropriate in most contexts in most developed cultures. Not just legally but socially too. In general, exposing yourself to others in public has negative repercussions. ItÂ’s a pity that something so blatantly obvious needs to be pointed out.

But for some bizarre and unexplained reason, the organisers of this farcical event believe that their decision to give their gonads some big air along the Liffey will provide wholly beneficial outcomes for cyclists in general. They are delusional.
    No, not by my reckoning. Please don't use your twisted logic to associate your statements with me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭coolbeans

No, not by my reckoning. Please don't use your twisted logic to associate your statements with me.

In his absence I can only surmise that he's easily offended...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

I think its a stupid idea but people should be allowed to do it.

coolbeans wrote: »
    all your comparisons are silly
    Yes, that's precisely the point. They're silly. But apparently, this naked bike ride isn't silly at all. No, this is for "serious cyclists".

Just wondering, is this form of protest also likely to produce positive results for users of other modes of transport? Or is this curious exemption from societal norms granted exclusively to cyclists?

Luas ticket prices up again? Feel that you're being fleeced?
    Whip your jocks off, that’ll show 'em!

Fed up with driving test waiting times and insurance hikes?
    Time for a full moon! Common sense, innit?

Silliness abounds, eh?

BTW, it's very far sighted of the organisers to arrange for hire bikes to be made available to all the serious cyclists who'll be participating. What's the thinking behind this decision … just in case the Cervélo happens to be in for servicing that day?

Since we have opposing views on this event, it doesn’t really surprise or bother me that you find my logic "twisted".

As for associating my statements with you, the organisers of this event have already associated it with me by claiming, wrongly in my view, to represent cyclists in general (e.g. "it is mainly about the rights of cyclists"). You have broadened the scope further by taking the opportunity to pronounce judgement on Irish society as a whole. So, as an Irish cyclist, I will respond to your remarks in any way that I see fit, subject to the decisions of the moderators of this forum.

After all, the whole point of this event is to "guarantee media attention" … to provoke a reaction. So here you go, here's a reaction. I hope you weren't so naive as to expect glowing endorsements all round.

If you wish to indulge in this kind of inane exhibitionism, fire away. Just don't co-opt an entire subcategory of road users into your wacky fetish when they have uttered barely a murmur of support for your plan. It has SFA to do with cyclists and cycling in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

Yes, that's precisely the point. They're silly. But apparently, this naked bike ride isn't silly at all. No, this is for "serious cyclists".
    Who, what, when or where said this was for serious cyclists? And what is a serious cyclist?

"Most riders are satisfied with simply painting slogans on their bodies, that get across the ecological message. The nature of these slogans ranges from serious to cheeky to funny." http://www.indymedia.ie/article/96949

As for civilised countries not accepting nudity. The most civilised country I've ever been to (Germany) has a huge naturist movement.

• Advertisement

Who, what, when or where said this was for serious cyclists?
    Fair enough, it isn’t in this thread. It's here.
    And what is a serious cyclist?
    I didn’t introduce the term, so it’s not up to me to define it. It’s a good question though, so maybe the organisers can answer it.
    "Most riders are satisfied with simply painting slogans on their bodies, that get across the ecological message. The nature of these slogans ranges from serious to cheeky to funny." http://www.indymedia.ie/article/96949
    Not sure what point you’re trying to make with the above quote.
    As for civilised countries not accepting nudity. The most civilised country I've ever been to (Germany) has a huge naturist movement.
    So what? Ireland has a naturist movement too. What relevance does that have to this event?

Here’s what I said: public nudity is deemed inappropriate in most contexts in most developed cultures.

That statement is valid for Germany too (I’ve also been there a few times). Naturists do their thing within fairly restrictive constraints and whenever they attempt to wander off the reservation they undoubtedly get a helpful prod in the right direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭kipple

That statement is valid for Germany too (I’ve also been there a few times). Naturists do their thing within fairly restrictive constraints and whenever they attempt to wander off the reservation they undoubtedly get a helpful prod in the right direction.

In Germany you have the right to be naked when and where ever you like. In big cities like Berlin nobody cares what you wear or dont wear. In some of the more conservative regions the police may step in and stop you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

stetyrrell wrote: »
    I have to say, a bunch of people cycling through town unexpectedly isn't exactly going to go down well with the public.

Well it went down very well with the Cork public - again this year. Throughout the ride the response from drivers and pedestrians was encouragement, smiles, laughter, cheers, tooting horns. I didn't see a single impatient driver.
    Maybe you misjudge the attitude of the Irish public? Or maybe you're just projecting your own attitudes and intolerance.
    stetyrrell wrote: »
    If the event was promoted more in the media and by the organisers, they could've tried to get Garda clearance way before the day of the event.
    What makes you think the clearance was only requested on the day?
    In Cork clearance was approved in advance but that didn't stop the Gardai changing the time of the cycle on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Fed up with driving test waiting times and insurance hikes?
    Time for a full moon! Common sense, innit?

Silliness abounds, eh?

Bit of silliness is no bad thing by times. Over a thousand of us mooned the Stena Hirbernia a couple of years back at the Spencer Tunick installation in Dublin Docklands. Pure genius in my humble opinion, and I didn't hear the moral majority complaining on Joe Duffy over the following days.

Life's too short, and there's plenty worse to get upset over than a few scantily clad cyclists. Nude on a slow moving bike in town wouldn't really work for me, but each to their own. As for civilised countries not putting up with this type of thing, you should check out some of the parades in Paris in gay pride week. Shocking stuff altogether, vive la difference!

• Registered Users Posts: 31,009 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

smacl wrote: »
    As for civilised countries not putting up with this type of thing, you should check out some of the parades in Paris in gay pride week. Shocking stuff altogether, vive la difference!

I heard that the French have Straight Pride Week.

Over a thousand of us mooned the Stena Hirbernia a couple of years back at the Spencer Tunick installation in Dublin Docklands.
    Well done! Was it a "protest mooning"? Which group of unsuspecting citizens was having its rights vindicated on that particular occasion?
    Pure genius in my humble opinion
    I wouldn't wish to deny you your opinion. Of course, the event in question could only be described as "pure genius" because of the contrast with prevailing societal norms. If public nudity was commonplace I guess it would never have happened, thereby denying you a good laugh. And that's one of the benefits of having a few ould taboos knocking around - the tension that's created when you're nudging up against them provides plenty of opportunity for humour. But tension exists only in the presence of opposing forces. So indirectly, the enjoyment you obtained from your participation was possible only because of uptight squares like me. You can say "Thank You" now ... :D
    there's plenty worse to get upset over
    TBH, I'm not really all that upset.
    vive la difference
    It's remarkable how many people trot this one out without really meaning it.

Well done! Was it a "protest mooning"? Which group of unsuspecting citizens was having its rights vindicated on that particular occasion?

Nah, more of an opportunistic mooning, during a photo shoot. Don't click the link if the sight of a thousand clearly anti-social nudies will offend you. Although apparently it's all above board if it's done in the name of art. Been that way for a good bit I understand, though to be perfectly honest I took part more for the fun than the art.
    Of course, the event in question could only be described as "pure genius" because of the contrast with prevailing societal norms.

Absolutely. A few years ago doing it in skin tight lycra shorts might have worked, but these societal norms just wont stay still.
    You can say "Thank You" now ...

Thank you :)
    It's remarkable how many people trot this one out without really meaning it.

Really? How many exactly, and how can you tell whether they mean it.

Nah, more of an opportunistic mooning, during a photo shoot.
    Aaah, there's Wally!
    apparently it's all above board if it's done in the name of art. Been that way for a good bit I understand
    So it seems that some of these societal norms aren't actually moving all that fast after all.
    A few years ago doing it in skin tight lycra shorts might have worked, but these societal norms just wont stay still.
    Indeed, the tension is dynamic, like a tug-of-war. Works best if neither team just decides to pack it in by letting go of the rope. Things become still fairly quickly then.
    Thank you :)
    ;)
    Really? How many exactly
    I've lost count at this stage.
    and how can you tell whether they mean it.
    How can anyone ever tell what anyone else means?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,742 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I don't think mass-cycling events where people look deliberately far from normal (naked bike rides, clown rides) or deliberately get in the way of other traffic (Critical Mass) advance the cause of utility cycling. They just associate cycling with eccentricity or militancy.

Ian Walker wrote something similar about the tenor of car-free days, regretting the impression that a day of cyclists being safe from bad driving is a merry time of misrule.

But just on the grounds of live-and-let-live, they should have let the ride go ahead.

• Advertisement

Aaah, there's Wally!

Godammit, wish I'd brought my stripy scarf. Must remember next time. Already have the specs...
    I don't think mass-cycling events where people look deliberately far from normal (naked bike rides, clown rides) or deliberately get in the way of other traffic (Critical Mass) advance the cause of utility cycling.

True, but at least it'll give those half assed journos scrambling for a job something else to write about for a couple of days. Wonder if any of the nudie bikes will be jumping red lights etc.. Probably a bit early in the week to raise the whole helmet issue ;)

Advertisement