Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

World Naked Bike Ride - Dublin

Options
  • 13-06-2009 12:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭

http://wiki.worldnakedbikeride.org/wiki/Dublin

Is the ride taking place tomorrow (Saturday) in Dublin? There is incomplete info on the above page.

I completed the ride in Brighton last year. It's a great event. Nudity not mandatory, I hasten to add.

D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Depends how much people drink tomorrow night I guess...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

Is the girl with the big muscles gonna be on this?

Wait a minute.....

'Date: TBA (probably 7 or 14 June 2008)'
    'The first World Naked Bike Ride may happen in June 2008.'

was the last year just a dream? Is it really 2009? what's going on?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,267 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Better get your skates on lads:
    Most Northern Hemisphere rides will take place on Saturday 13 June 2009

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭corkdave

Reviving this thread . . .
    After the successful naked bike ride in Cork in 2010, and the large number expected again this July, some cycling activists in Dublin have a date and route planned for a naked ride in the capital.

It has been decided to hold it the same weekend that the Cork ride is happening.

The dates are

2011 Dublin ride: Friday July 15th at 7pm - contact dublinnakedbike@gmail.com

2011 Cork ride: Saturday July 16th at 6pm - contact myrebelcounty@gmail.com

There have been rides in Cork for the last 2 years with last year's ride being very successful. Similar events have taken place around the world since 2002.

The main information site for WNBR events is

http://wiki.worldnakedbikeride.org/index.php?title=List_of_rides

The organising group want to encourage all cyclists in Dublin to take part in this ride. The more of us that there are the bigger the impact the event will make on the public and make the dublin councils aware that cyclists have needs as well as the motorist.

Can you help us by advertising this event among your members?

Anybody interested in taking part should send an email to dublinnakedbike@gmail.com to register their interest.

Summary details of the Dublin ride.
    1. The ride start location will be about 1.5km from dublin city centre.
    2. The ride will be about 8 - 10km long and is expected to take 90minutes.
    3. Cyclist will being to gather about 1 hour before the event starts at 7pm to prepare for the ride.
    4. Riders are encouraged to be ' As Bare as you Dare' Everybody is welcome to take part whatever their state of dress is. Fully clothed cyclists are also welcome to take part and join in.
    5. To help the public know the purpose of the event everybody should have some kind of a sign or banner on their bike or person. Slogans such as 'World Naked Bike Ride' , 'More Ass less Gas' , 'End Oil Dependancy' should be made so that they are easily readable by the public along the route.
    6. Body painting will also be a part of the event to make it more colourful and help advertise our purpose.
    7. It is hoped to have hire bikes available for hire to those who cannot take their bike to the ride.
    8. The start location for the ride will be emailed to those who register their interest by email. The reason for this is not to have unwanted photographers and bystanders who are not interested in the ride but only interested in the possible nudity aspect of the ride. We dont want riders to feel uncomfortable or be put off from taking part by unwanted attention. Once the ride gets underway nobody will be put off by bystanders. It's like going swimming in the sea once you get it the water doesn't seem so cold or uninviting.
    9. Those who take part in the Dublin ride are encouraged to travel to Cork to take part in the ride there on the saturday evening.
    10. The Cork organising group may be contacted through the facebook page of Art Davey, one of the Cork-based bodypainting artists, where details can be found.

We also have a need for volunteer helpers to help organise and coordinate the ride.

Volunteers will be required to wear clothing and hi-vis vests so they will be easily identified by the participants.
    The volunteer helpers are needed to lead and direct the ride along its route,
    help out any participants who get into difficulity

We also have the need for an independant person to lialise with the Gardai about the event in Dublin.
    If members would like to help or take part please email dublinnakedbike@gmail.com

Dublin Naked Bike Team

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

corkdave wrote: »
    Jaysus you'd be faster getting the bus or walking!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

kenmc wrote: »
    Jaysus you'd be faster getting the bus or walking!

Anti-chafing policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Keep_Her_Lit

Oh what fun!! Better get practicing those trackstands.
    'More Ass less Gas'
    I hope that those using dublinbikes for this event will have the decency to give them a little wipe down before returning them to their stations.

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭AssaultedPeanut

I knew all the professionals in here would pick out the length and time for the ride. What would be the point in them flying around and being done in 20 minutes? It's not a race, that's not the point...

• Registered Users Posts: 31,009 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

What would be the point in them flying around and being done in 20 minutes?

Tantric bicycle ride?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

'More Ass less Gas'

'More Hole Less Coal'?

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Keep_Her_Lit

I knew all the professionals in here would pick out the length and time for the ride.
    No elitism or condescension intended. Taking 90 minutes to cycle 8-10kms would be, IMHO, crushingly tedious. That’s all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Moflojo

'More Hole Less Coal'?

'More Hard-on Less Carbon'

'More Carbon Less...Carbon?'

• Registered Users Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

No elitism or condescension intended. Taking 90 minutes to cycle 8-10kms would be, IMHO, crushingly tedious. That’s all.

They're best off going something like 15kph or so and doing laps. 8kph is nearly walking speed and is a pain in the ass to do and 15kph is a nice steady pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭corkdave

DaveyDave wrote: »
    They're best off going something like 15kph or so and doing laps. 8kph is nearly walking speed and is a pain in the ass to do and 15kph is a nice steady pace.
    Roller skaters, skate boarders and sometimes even wheel chair users also take part so the pace has to reflect this. Also, on the Cork ride, there are a couple of stops planned to photograph the riders at city landmarks. Last year it was Blackrock Castle and Cork Opera House.

I hear the Dublin one has been cancelled by the Gardai.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Public decency spared once again by the loyal constabulary so. I wonder did the priests have a hand in it, them seeming to have a hand in everything else at the moment ;)

father_ted.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭coolbeans

Ah come on, I was looking forward to this. Source???

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

coolbeans wrote: »
    Ah come on, I was looking forward to this.
    Perv:D

coolbeans wrote: »
    Ah come on, I was looking forward to this. Source???

Comment from organiser Art Davey on Facebook "It is disgraceful that the Dublin Naked Bike Ride has been stopped by Gardai who feared that the participants would be assaulted. Is Dublin that different from the 200 other cities around the world where the ride takes place successfully every year?"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Im not suprised, I dont wanna see a bunch of naked hippies, nasty. Now if it had its form of "dress policy" like only women and only above a 8/10 then Im sure we could work something out :D

kona wrote: »
    I dont wanna see a bunch of naked hippies paddies, npasty.
    FYP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Thief

It's all a bit strange really aint it!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Here's the updates from their Facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/pages/Dublin-WNBR/248770318473709

The team have failed to get Garda clearance to hold the ride as planned on Friday. The Gardai were quite firm saying that they would prevent the ride from taking place. The main reason for this is that the public may become upset because of naked / semi naked cyclists riding the public streets of Dublin. In their opinion this could lead to assaults taking place.

Emails have been sent to everyone who expressed an interest in taking part.

Thank you to everyone who showed interest in taking part.

The Team will continue to work to get Garda approval for a ride in Dublin in the future.

We need more people to take an active part in organising the ride.
    Please get in touch.

Happy cycling
    Dublin Naked Bike Team

• Registered Users Posts: 7,712 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

The nanny state...

Very sad that they feel that they can stop events like this. It's a very poor reflection on Irish society.

In their opinion this could lead to assaults taking place.

That's fair enough, noone wants a repeat of the reclaim the streets unpleasantness.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,712 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

In their opinion this could lead to assaults taking place.

That's fair enough, noone wants a repeat of the reclaim the streets unpleasantness.
    ?

Bluefoam wrote: »
    ?
    The last time a bunch of hippies took to the streets of Dublin the Gardai issued beatings.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,009 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

The last time a bunch of hippies took to the streets of Dublin the Gardai issued beatings.

Just reading about that for the first time (was before my time in Ireland).

What ever happened to Robocop? He was acquitted by a jury but then apparently some proceedings were taken by the Garda Complaints Board, which he managed to get kicked up all the way to the Supreme Court.

It's just as well the political and justice system wasn't tied up too much with this sort of bollocks, they might have missed the makings of a major social and economic catastrophe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭not even wrong

Lumen wrote: »
    What ever happened to Robocop? He was acquitted by a jury but then apparently some proceedings were taken by the Garda Complaints Board, which he managed to get kicked up all the way to the Supreme Court.
    Looks like he's in the Criminal Assets Bureau now, well at least he's off the streets.

Also
    The European Police College (CEPOL) Sweden
    Certificate in Human Rights Policing and Ethics

2010 – 2010
    lol

Advertisement